Community Discussions and Support
4.6 to 4.73 Upgrade Issue -- Sudden POP3 Socket Timeout on All Emails

Thanks! Been using webmail for a few days now; will keep your instructions near-at-hand while setting up / migrating to new install.

Thanks! Been using webmail for a few days now; will keep your instructions near-at-hand while setting up / migrating to new install.

Program starts okay, SMTP appears to work, but every email retrieval attempt fails with--

POP3 Network or Protocol Error
Connection timeout (no response from host)  

18:18:21.724: --- 4 Jan 2020, 18:18:21.724 ---
18:18:21.724: Connect to 'mail.xxx.com', timeout 15 seconds.
18:18:37.750: 6: Socket timeout

Did not have this problem 5 minutes earlier, with 4.6 version. Restart has no effect.

It does say "Connection timeout (no response from host)" which I would THINK means the problem isn't on my end--but the timing is just too coincidental. SMTP works; I did send an outgoing msg. 

I restarted because PM wouldn't die. I exited, then tried to open with command prompt, several times. No dice. Turns out it was still running as a background process (several, given multiple attempts). Task Manager END TASK shut all but one down. Must have tried to kill that one twenty times. Didn't work, so I restarted. 

Now I have this problem. 

Any help appreciated!

Windows 8.1 
<div> </div><div>Program starts okay, SMTP appears to work, but every email retrieval attempt fails with--</div><div> </div><div>POP3 Network or Protocol Error</div><div> ...</div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Connection timeout (no response from host)  </span></div><div> </div><div>18:18:21.724: --- 4 Jan 2020, 18:18:21.724 ---</div><div>18:18:21.724: Connect to 'mail.xxx.com', timeout 15 seconds.</div><div>18:18:37.750: 6: Socket timeout</div><div> </div><div> </div><div>Did not have this problem 5 minutes earlier, with 4.6 version. Restart has no effect.</div><div> </div><div>It does say "<span style="font-size: 10pt;">Connection timeout (no response from host)"</span><span style="font-size: 10pt;"> which I would THINK means the problem isn't on my end--but the timing is just too coincidental. </span><span style="font-size: 10pt;">SMTP works; I did send an outgoing msg. </span></div><div> </div><div>I restarted because PM wouldn't die. I exited, then tried to open with command prompt, several times. No dice. Turns out it was still running as a background process (several, given multiple attempts). Task Manager END TASK shut all but one down. Must have tried to kill that one twenty times. Didn't work, so I restarted. </div><div> </div><div>Now I have this problem. </div><div> </div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Any help appreciated!</span></div><div> </div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Windows 8.1 </span></div>

I would increase timeout to 60 seconds. 

A machine reboot would rule out a system anomoly.

If still no joy, try disabling the current POP3 host and creating a new one from scratch.

Also, consider removing the -ms option from the command line, at least temporarily, to prevent Pegasus Mail from starting another session without warning you first. 

<p>I would increase timeout to 60 seconds.  </p><p>A machine reboot would rule out a system anomoly. </p><p>If still no joy, try disabling the current POP3 host and creating a new one from scratch. </p><p>Also, consider removing the -ms option from the command line, at least temporarily, to prevent Pegasus Mail from starting another session without warning you first.  </p><p> </p>

Thanks! No joy on 60-seconds. I exited by hitting the X at top right--and PM is still in Task Manager, this time up top under APPS and (Not Responding). And again it won't die with End Task. This time, though, it may be the PM Help System window. Installed Process Explorer and tried KILL PROCESS, got this: Error terminating process. Access is denied.

This is different though. I can go in and read emails; even send emails. Just can't receive. Well, I could before this refusal-to-die syndrome. I'll have to shut down again just to restart PM. 

By machine reboot, you mean shutdown /r  ?
I've never done that on this machine--could that cause problems? 

Afraid I don't know what building a POP3 host from scratch means. The host is (I assume) under the control of the guys hosting my website and not me. In layman's terms, did you mean rebuilding the identity within pmail, or...? My POP and SMTP settings are shared definitions.

Also, is there a way to show my email passwords in PM? It's been a decade since I set this up, and it won't let me copy... 

Many thanks for your guidance... 

<p>Thanks! No joy on 60-seconds. I exited by hitting the X at top right--and PM is still in Task Manager, this time up top under APPS and (Not Responding). And again it won't die with End Task. This time, though, it may be the PM Help System window. Installed Process Explorer and tried KILL PROCESS, got this: Error terminating process. Access is denied.</p><p> This is different though. I can go in and read emails; even send emails. Just can't receive. Well, I could before this refusal-to-die syndrome. I'll have to shut down again just to restart PM.<span style="font-size: 10pt;"> </span></p><p>By machine reboot, you mean shutdown /r  ? <span style="font-size: 10pt;">I've never done that on this machine--could that cause problems? </span></p><p>Afraid I don't know what building a POP3 host from scratch means. The host is (I assume) under the control of the guys hosting my website and not me. In layman's terms, did you mean rebuilding the identity within pmail, or...? My POP and SMTP settings are shared definitions.</p><p>Also, is there a way to show my email passwords in PM? It's been a decade since I set this up, and it won't let me copy... </p><p> Many thanks for your guidance...<span style="font-size: 10pt;"> </span></p>

[quote user="jomar2"]Installed Process Explorer and tried KILL PROCESS, got this: Error terminating process. Access is denied.[/quote]

Did you lauch Process Explorer with Admin Access Rights (it provides a menu option for doing so (called Show all processes or so))?

[quote user="jomar2"]By machine reboot, you mean shutdown /r  ?

I've never done that on this machine--could that cause problems?[/quote]

Sure you did, it's what happens after installing Window Updates, e.g., I don't know its command line switches, though. Give it a try since it will provide a clean environment for all applications launched afterwards.

[quote user="jomar2"]My POP and SMTP settings are shared definitions.[/quote]

Take one of these as a basic definition and create a new one based on this one for testing so you can modify options one by one without affecting your previous version.

[quote user="jomar2"]Also, is there a way to show my email passwords in PM?[/quote]

You need to enable Internet session logging as described in this post e.g.
<p>[quote user="jomar2"]Installed Process Explorer and tried KILL PROCESS, got this: Error terminating process. Access is denied.[/quote]</p><p>Did you lauch Process Explorer with Admin Access Rights (it provides a menu option for doing so (called <i>Show all processes</i> or so))? </p><p>[quote user="jomar2"]By machine reboot, you mean shutdown /r  ?</p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">I've never done that on this machine--could that cause problems?</span>[/quote]<p>Sure you did, it's what happens after installing Window Updates, e.g., I don't know its command line switches, though. Give it a try since it will provide a clean environment for all applications launched afterwards. </p><span style="font-size: 10pt;"></span><p>[quote user="jomar2"]My POP and SMTP settings are shared definitions.[/quote]</p><p>Take one of these as a basic definition and create a new one based on this one for testing so you can modify options one by one without affecting your previous version. </p><p>[quote user="jomar2"]Also, is there a way to show my email passwords in PM?[/quote]</p>You need to enable Internet session logging as described in <a mce_href="/forums/post/49650.aspx" target="_blank" href="/forums/post/49650.aspx">this post</a> e.g.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

Thank you. TCP logs all say the same thing, contain no un/pw info--I guess because the program never gets a chance to send the un/pw. Any way around that?

10:41:33.044: --- 5 Jan 2020, 10:41:33.044 ---

10:41:33.050: Connect to 'mail.mydomain.com', timeout 60 seconds.

10:42:33.134: 6: Socket timeout 

I saved a copy of the entire PMAIL directory before updating. Is there a way to go back into that and view the settings, so I can compare them with the settings in the new version? Preferably side-by-side--to see if the update changed something? 

<p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Thank you. </span><span style="font-size: 10pt;">TCP logs all say the same thing, contain no un/pw info--I guess because the program never gets a chance to send the un/pw. Any way around that?</span></p><p> </p><p> 10:41:33.044: --- 5 Jan 2020, 10:41:33.044 ---</p><p><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;">10:41:33.050: Connect to 'mail.mydomain.com', timeout 60 seconds.</span></p><p><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;">10:42:33.134: 6: Socket timeout</span> </p><p> <span style="font-size: 10pt;">I saved a copy of the entire PMAIL directory before updating. Is there a way to go back into that and view the settings, so I can compare them with the settings in the new version? Preferably side-by-side--to see if the update changed something? </span></p>

Yes.  The configuration settings of each POP3 host are stored in individual files with a name format of POP?????.PND.  They are located in the mailbox directory.  They are text files.

<p>Yes.  The configuration settings of each POP3 host are stored in individual files with a name format of POP?????.PND.  They are located in the mailbox directory.  They are text files.</p>

[quote user="jomar2"]

Thank you. TCP logs all say the same thing, contain no un/pw info--I guess because the program never gets a chance to send the un/pw. Any way around that?

10:41:33.044: --- 5 Jan 2020, 10:41:33.044 ---

10:41:33.050: Connect to 'mail.mydomain.com', timeout 60 seconds.

10:42:33.134: 6: Socket timeout 

I saved a copy of the entire PMAIL directory before updating. Is there a way to go back into that and view the settings, so I can compare them with the settings in the new version? Preferably side-by-side--to see if the update changed something? 

[/quote]

It would help if you could post your system logs here. Please take care to obfuscate login and password (plain text/base64 encoded)

[quote user="jomar2"]<p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Thank you. </span><span style="font-size: 10pt;">TCP logs all say the same thing, contain no un/pw info--I guess because the program never gets a chance to send the un/pw. Any way around that?</span></p><p> </p><p> 10:41:33.044: --- 5 Jan 2020, 10:41:33.044 ---</p><p><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;">10:41:33.050: Connect to 'mail.mydomain.com', timeout 60 seconds.</span></p><p><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;">10:42:33.134: 6: Socket timeout</span> </p><p> <span style="font-size: 10pt;">I saved a copy of the entire PMAIL directory before updating. Is there a way to go back into that and view the settings, so I can compare them with the settings in the new version? Preferably side-by-side--to see if the update changed something? </span></p><p>[/quote]</p><p>It would help if you could post your system logs here. Please take care to obfuscate login and password (plain text/base64 encoded) </p>

-- Euler

Pegasus Mail 4.81.1154 Windows 7 Ultimate
IERenderer: 2.7.1.5 AttachMenu: 1.0.1.2
PMDebug: 2.5.8.34 BearHTML 4.9.9.6

Thanks! If you'll tell me where to find them, I'd be happy to edit and post...

Thanks! If you'll tell me where to find them, I'd be happy to edit and post...

Okay, found something interesting.

For the main ID with shared definition, the timeout has changed (I did that on advice found here) AND the password is different.

Now, before I go changing the password back, I'm a bit puzzled because neither of these letter-symbol-number strings is ANYthing I would have chosen as a password. Also, there are too many characters--many more than there are black dots in the SETTINGS FOR RETRIEVING EMAIL (POP3) window.

So unless these are encrypted, I don't know what to make of this. And if they are encrypted, I don't know how to DEcrypt them into something useful...

The original PND file for this ID is from 2014; the new one from yesterday.

<p> Okay, found something interesting.</p><p>For the main ID with shared definition, the timeout has changed (I did that on advice found here) AND the password is different.</p><p>Now, before I go changing the password back, I'm a bit puzzled because neither of these letter-symbol-number strings is ANYthing I would have chosen as a password. Also, there are too many characters--many more than there are black dots in the SETTINGS FOR RETRIEVING EMAIL (POP3) window. So unless these are encrypted, I don't know what to make of this. And if they are encrypted, I don't know how to DEcrypt them into something useful... The original PND file for this ID is from 2014; the new one from yesterday.</p><p> </p>

I wouldn't bother trying to fix one.  Create a new POP3 host configuration, get it working, delete the weird one.

I wouldn't bother trying to fix one.  Create a new POP3 host configuration, get it working, delete the weird one.

[quote user="jomar2"]Thanks! If you'll tell me where to find them, I'd be happy to edit and post...[/quote]

Maybe you did not read Michael's post above entirely, pointing to another post... They were referring to this:

<p>[quote user="jomar2"]Thanks! If you'll tell me where to find them, I'd be happy to edit and post...[/quote]</p><p>Maybe you did not read Michael's <a mce_href="/forums/post/51721.aspx" target="_blank" href="/forums/post/51721.aspx">post above</a> entirely, pointing to another <a mce_href="/forums/post/49650.aspx" target="_blank" href="/forums/post/49650.aspx">post</a>... They were referring to this: </p>

-- Euler

Pegasus Mail 4.81.1154 Windows 7 Ultimate
IERenderer: 2.7.1.5 AttachMenu: 1.0.1.2
PMDebug: 2.5.8.34 BearHTML 4.9.9.6

Trying to do that now, everything set up right according to my hosting service BUT I can't see how to associate the new POP3 profile with any existing identity, or how to add a new identity that's NOT based on one of the current identities (none of which are able to sent mail). Changed online pw for this email address, filled in new pw with PM to match.

At any rate, still not working. Do I have to trash the entire install and start over?

<p>Trying to do that now, everything set up right according to my hosting service BUT I can't see how to associate the new POP3 profile with any existing identity, or how to add a new identity that's NOT based on one of the current identities (none of which are able to sent mail). Changed online pw for this email address, filled in new pw with PM to match.</p><p>At any rate, still not working. Do I have to trash the entire install and start over?</p><p> </p>

The appropriate POP3 and SMTP host files are selected from within each identity.  Go to Tools > Internet options and select the appropriate POP3 and SMTP hosts, in the "Receiving" and "Sending" tabs, for the identity you're currently running as.  Change to the next identity and do the same thing.  Change to the next identity and do the same thing. Repeat until all identities are done.

You can have multiple different POP3 and SMTP host configurations on the system.  The ability to select the appropriate ones within each identity is how you can have one identity service a hosted mailbox on a service like GMX and another identity can service a mailbox hosted on Gmail.

You could actually configure an identity to POP3 from a Gmail account but SMTP via a GMX server, not that you would want to, but it's possible because of this capability.

<p>The appropriate POP3 and SMTP host files are selected from within each identity.  Go to Tools > Internet options and select the appropriate POP3 and SMTP hosts, in the "Receiving" and "Sending" tabs, for the identity you're currently running as.  Change to the next identity and do the same thing.  Change to the next identity and do the same thing. Repeat until all identities are done.</p><p>You can have multiple different POP3 and SMTP host configurations on the system.  The ability to select the appropriate ones within each identity is how you can have one identity service a hosted mailbox on a service like GMX and another identity can service a mailbox hosted on Gmail.</p><p>You could actually configure an identity to POP3 from a Gmail account but SMTP via a GMX server, not that you would want to, but it's possible because of this capability. </p>

Love that.

Since creating a new POP3 host, the SMTP is screwed as well.

The short version is  334 535 5.7.8 Error: authentication failed: UGFzc3dvcmQ6.

Can someone point me to explicit and comprehensive instructions for setting up an entirely new instance of PM 4.73 from scratch? Already downloaded onto a different external drive, but it's been 10 or 15 years since I set this up, and someone walked me through it at the time. Not seeing this in the FAQs. Thanks!

<p>Love that.</p><p> </p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Since creating a new POP3 host, the SMTP is screwed as well. </span></p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">The short version is </span> 334 535 5.7.8 Error: authentication failed: UGFzc3dvcmQ6<span style="font-size: 10pt;">.</span></p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Can someone point me to explicit and comprehensive instructions for setting up an entirely new instance of PM 4.73 from scratch? Already downloaded onto a different external drive, but it's been 10 or 15 years since I set this up, and someone walked me through it at the time. Not seeing this in the FAQs. Thanks!</span></p>

[quote user="jomar2"]Love that.

Since creating a new POP3 host, the SMTP is screwed as well.
The short version is 
 334 535 5.7.8 Error: authentication failed: UGFzc3dvcmQ6.[/quote]

It's very likely that your SMTP definition used a POP3 definition for authentication, so all you need to do is to open the SMTP definitions of your indentities and replace the respective POP3 definition used for authentication with the new one (it might as well be the prior login option not ticked in my sample below).

BTW: You would have to set up the same definitions in a new installation as well ...

[quote user="jomar2"]Love that.<p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Since creating a new POP3 host, the SMTP is screwed as well. The short version is </span> 334 535 5.7.8 Error: authentication failed: UGFzc3dvcmQ6<span style="font-size: 10pt;">.</span>[/quote]</p><p>It's very likely that your SMTP definition used a POP3 definition for authentication, so all you need to do is to open the SMTP definitions of your indentities and replace the respective POP3 definition used for authentication with the new one (it might as well be the prior login option not ticked in my sample below).</p><p>BTW: You would have to set up the same definitions in a new installation as well ... </p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

Found it, checking it out, thank you!

<p>Found it, checking it out, thank you!</p><p> </p>

Okay, this makes no sense to me--but might tell you something...

POP3 still timing out. 

First, I forgot to go in and give the SMTP the new password. Done and working again.

Then--as you suggested--I went in and told the SMTP to use the POP3 definition / login info from the new POP3 host I created.

And the SMTP works while using the same POP3 info that DOESN'T work for POP3 mail retrieval.

What possible explanation is there for that?

Possibly relevant notes: 
My SMTP is set to use STARTTLS, my POP3 is set (per domain host instructions) to Never.
The box at the bottom of my SMTP Security settings is checked (Do not use CRAM-MD5...), while the one you show is unchecked.

<div> </div><div>Okay, this makes no sense to me--but might tell you something...</div><div> </div><div>POP3 still timing out. </div><div> </div><div>First, I forgot to go in and give the SMTP the new password. Done and working again.</div><div> </div><div>Then--as you suggested--I went in and told the SMTP to use the POP3 definition / login info from the new POP3 host I created.</div><div> </div><div>And the SMTP works while using the same POP3 info that DOESN'T work for POP3 mail retrieval.</div><div> </div><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;">What possible explanation is there for that?</span></div><div> </div><div> </div><div>Possibly relevant notes: </div><div>My SMTP is set to use STARTTLS, my POP3 is set (per domain host instructions) to Never. The box at the bottom of my SMTP Security settings is checked (Do not use CRAM-MD5...), while the one you show is unchecked.</div><div> </div><div> </div>

Could the server address be invalid in the POP3 definition? 

Maybe the specified port is invalid; one the server doesn't respond on? 

I think this could explain the timeout without any communication being logged. 

<p>Could the server address be invalid in the POP3 definition?  </p><p>Maybe the specified port is invalid; one the server doesn't respond on?  </p><p>I think this could explain the timeout without any communication being logged.  </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft