Community Discussions and Support
New mail editor defaults to a brown text color?

OK i figured out what is happening :)

Pegasus has generated this "brown" colour uniquely for me on screen, to try to make a contrast with my chosen window background colour of #9AA7BA (that's the pale blue colour, which I have set in Windows 10, because I hate seeing a screenful of pure white, hurts my eyes).

In hex, #9AA7BA + #655845 = #FFFFFF.

It's not really creating styled messages with a brown colour, the message text is still seen by the recipient in the default black colour.  The brown is only on my own screen.

It's an interesting programming choice by David Harris, which I've not seen other applications use.

I'm not sure I agree with it.  Foreground Colour = #FFFFFF - Background Colour is not necessarily the highest contrast choice.  Imagine if the background colour is #808080, that would produce a foreground colour of #7F7F7F which would be visually indistinguishable.   There must be better algorithms for automatically picking a high-contrast text colour - for a start, black text usually looks good on any bright background, and white text looks good on any dark background.

I'll take this up in the suggestions area. 
<div><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;">OK i figured out what is happening :)</span></div><div><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;"> </span></div><div><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;">Pegasus has generated this "brown" colour uniquely for me on screen, to try to make a contrast with my chosen window background colour of #9AA7BA (that's the pale blue colour, which I have set in Windows 10, because I hate seeing a screenful of pure white, hurts my eyes).</span></div><div><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;"> </span></div><div><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;">In hex, #9AA7BA + #655845 = #FFFFFF.</span></div><div><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;"> </span></div><div><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;">It's not really creating styled messages with a brown colour, the message text is still seen by the recipient in the default black colour.  The brown is only on my own screen.</span></div><div><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;"> </span></div><div><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;">  </span></div><div><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;"> </span></div><div><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;">It's an interesting programming choice by David Harris, which I've not seen other applications use.</span></div><div><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;"> </span></div><div><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;">I'm not sure I agree with it.  [b]Foreground Colour = #FFFFFF - Background Colour[/b] is not necessarily the highest contrast choice.  Imagine if the background colour is #808080, that would produce a foreground colour of #7F7F7F which would be visually indistinguishable.   There must be better algorithms for automatically picking a high-contrast text colour - for a start, black text usually looks good on any bright background, and white text looks good on any dark background.</span></div><div><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;"> </span></div><div><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;">I'll take this up in the suggestions area. </span></div>

In 4.73, when starting a new message in the editor, the font color is brown by default.  Every time.

See screenshot.  (The blue message background is my system default, but my Windows system default text color is black.)

Is everyone else experiencing this brown text color?

Further details:

- the precise brown color is #655845 in web notation, 6641733 decimal

- this color is not in my PMAIL.INI or any other settings I can find

- the same issue occurs in a fresh install 

- it's not caused by IERenderer, the same issue occurs even with IERenderer disabled

<p>In 4.73, when starting a new message in the editor, the font color is brown by default.  Every time.</p><p>See screenshot.  (The blue message background is my system default, but my Windows system default text color is black.)</p><p>Is everyone else experiencing this brown text color?</p><p>[img]http://i.imgur.com/5JfqYMq.jpg[/img]</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>Further details:</p><p>- the precise brown color is #655845 in web notation, 6641733 decimal</p><p>- this color is not in my PMAIL.INI or any other settings I can find</p><p>- the same issue occurs in a fresh install </p><p>- it's not caused by IERenderer, the same issue occurs even with IERenderer disabled</p>

[quote user="archimedes1"]

In 4.73, when starting a new message in the editor, the font color is brown by default.  Every time.[/quote]

With your message editor open either pick Message > Set text colour or mouse right-click an empty part of your message and pick Set text colour... from the menu. There are 21 colors to choose, black included.

When replying to a message, Sender's text can be colored too. See screenshot below.

N.B. These settings are Identity bound.

[quote user="archimedes1"]<p>In 4.73, when starting a new message in the editor, the font color is brown by default.  Every time.[/quote]</p><p>With your message editor open either pick <b>Message > Set text colour</b> or mouse right-click an empty part of your message and pick <b>Set text colour...</b> from the menu. There are 21 colors to choose, black included.</p><p>When replying to a message, Sender's text can be colored too. See screenshot below. </p><p><b>N.B.</b> These settings are Identity bound. </p>

-- Euler

Pegasus Mail 4.81.1154 Windows 7 Ultimate
IERenderer: 2.7.1.5 AttachMenu: 1.0.1.2
PMDebug: 2.5.8.34 BearHTML 4.9.9.6

Thank you.

[quote]With your message editor open either pick Message > Set text colour or mouse right-click an empty part of your message and pick Set text colour... from the menu. There are 21 colors to choose, black included.[/quote]

This lets me change the colour after starting to edit the message.  But the default colour on my screen is still brown.  I want to change the default colour, without having to "Set text colour" once for each new message.

<p> </p><p>Thank you.</p><p>[quote]<span style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; background-color: rgb(221, 221, 221);">With your message editor open either pick </span><b style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; background-color: rgb(221, 221, 221);">Message > Set text colour</b><span style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; background-color: rgb(221, 221, 221);"> or mouse right-click an empty part of your message and pick </span><b style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; background-color: rgb(221, 221, 221);">Set text colour...</b><span style="font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; background-color: rgb(221, 221, 221);"> from the menu. There are 21 colors to choose, black included.[/quote]</span></p><p>This lets me <i>change</i> the colour after starting to edit the message.  But the default colour on my screen is still brown.  I want to change the default colour, without having to "Set text colour" once for each new message.</p><p> </p>

This one has me baffled.  I don't know where the default color setting is stored nor why the set text color setting isn't sticky.

If the default color was being controlled by the system it certainly would show up in other apps so I'm intrigued by the issue but clueless at this point on how to fix it.  I'm also a bit disadvantaged because I rarely send styled mail.  It's actually disabled in a number of my identities but I did test in one of my 'enabled' identities and couldn't find a way to change the default text color.

<p>This one has me baffled.  I don't know where the default color setting is stored nor why the set text color setting isn't sticky. </p><p>If the default color was being controlled by the system it certainly would show up in other apps so I'm intrigued by the issue but clueless at this point on how to fix it.  I'm also a bit disadvantaged because I rarely send styled mail.  It's actually disabled in a number of my identities but I did test in one of my 'enabled' identities and couldn't find a way to change the default text color. </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft