Community Discussions and Support
Can't get "copies to self" folder working

[quote user="rgakins"]

Removing the auto-filtering (and, thus, the "little person icon") did the trick!

I don't really understand how auto-filtering on some random folder would cause

a problem in the copies-to-self folder, but that seems to be the case. Thanks

for all the help.

[/quote]

Hi,

that's exactly the way Autofiltering was meant to be. The following text is from Pegasus Mail Help:

[quote]Autofiltering is a simple way of organizing your mail into "conversations". Put simply, if you move or copy a message into a folder that has autofiltering enabled, that folder will subsequently automatically gather all the messages you receive from the sender of that message, and all the messages you send to that person. Being able to see both what you've received and sent in order allows you to read your correspondence with that person as if it were an ongoing conversation.[/quote]

So, Autofiltering it is not a substitute to mail filtering rules that is still the way to organize your mail archiving. It is quite limited, focusing only on sender's address: if message is from Sender it goes to that "autofiltered" folder. If you answer to that archived message your message will go to that same folder instead of Copyself, and building a "conversational" storage. I found it to be very useful but one must take care if other rules could interfere. Autofiltering has low precedence order.

[quote user="rgakins"]<p>Removing the auto-filtering (and, thus, the "little person icon") did the trick!</p><p>I don't really understand how auto-filtering on some random folder would cause</p><p>a problem in the copies-to-self folder, but that seems to be the case. Thanks</p><p>for all the help. </p><p> </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Hi,</p><p>that's exactly the way Autofiltering was meant to be. The following text is from Pegasus Mail Help:</p><p>[quote]<i>Autofiltering is a simple way of organizing your mail into "conversations". Put simply, if you move or copy a message into a folder that has autofiltering enabled, that folder will subsequently automatically gather all the messages you receive from the sender of that message, and all the messages you send to that person. Being able to see both what you've received and sent in order allows you to read your correspondence with that person as if it were an ongoing conversation.</i>[/quote]</p><p>So, Autofiltering it is not a substitute to mail filtering rules that is still the way to organize your mail archiving. It is quite limited, focusing only on sender's address: if message is from Sender it goes to that "autofiltered" folder. If you answer to that archived message your message will go to that same folder instead of Copyself, and building a "conversational" storage. I found it to be very useful but one must take care if other rules could interfere. Autofiltering has low precedence order. </p>

-- Euler

Pegasus Mail 4.81.1154 Windows 7 Ultimate
IERenderer: 2.7.1.5 AttachMenu: 1.0.1.2
PMDebug: 2.5.8.34 BearHTML 4.9.9.6

My "copies to self" are going to a different folder. I try to change

the preference to "copies to self" and the folder is formed, but

the copies still go to the previous folder. When I select the

folder from the list, there doesn't seem to be any "apply"

procedure other than just hitting enter. None of the menu items

( New folder, delete, etc.) seem to apply and nothing removes

the little person icon from the old folder to the new one.

<p>My "copies to self" are going to a different folder. I try to change</p><p>the preference to "copies to self" and the folder is formed, but</p><p>the copies still go to the previous folder. When I select the</p><p>folder from the list, there doesn't seem to be any "apply"</p><p>procedure other than just hitting enter. None of the menu items</p><p>( New folder, delete, etc.) seem to apply and nothing removes </p><p>the little person icon from the old folder to the new one. </p>

A copy to self doesn't have any options other than to select the folder you want it to go into and hitting enter or double clicking on the destination folder.  This is dependent on the " If making a copy to self, ask at send time which folder to put it in" setting being enabled.

I don't know what other menu items you are expecting nor what the "little person icon" is that you mention. 

Some things to check that can affect the folder where copies to self end up:

• Be sure to use the "Select folder" button in Tools > Options > Outgoing mail > Copies to self ('outbox'), don't just type the folder name.  While there, check the interactive copy-to-self options to insure they are set appropriately.
  • Check for any autofilters to the copies to self folder.  To do this, right click on any folder in the folder list, select Autofiltering and then Manage Autofilter filters. 

<p>A copy to self doesn't have any options other than to select the folder you want it to go into and hitting enter or double clicking on the destination folder.  This is dependent on the " If making a copy to self, ask at send time which folder to put it in" setting being enabled. </p><p>I don't know what other menu items you are expecting nor what the "little person icon" is that you mention.  </p><p>Some things to check that can affect the folder where copies to self end up: </p><ul><li>Be sure to use the "Select folder" button in Tools > Options > Outgoing mail > Copies to self ('outbox'), don't just type the folder name.  While there, check the interactive copy-to-self options to insure they are set appropriately. </li></ul><ul><li>Check for any autofilters to the copies to self folder.  To do this, right click on any folder in the folder list, select Autofiltering and then Manage Autofilter filters.  </li></ul><p> </p>

I'm curious where OP's Pegasus Mail is installed and if it has full R/W permissions, no AV and no Windows interference, etc.

I'm curious where OP's Pegasus Mail is installed and if it has full R/W permissions, no AV and no Windows interference, etc.

-- Euler

Pegasus Mail 4.81.1154 Windows 7 Ultimate
IERenderer: 2.7.1.5 AttachMenu: 1.0.1.2
PMDebug: 2.5.8.34 BearHTML 4.9.9.6

[quote user="Brian Fluet"]I don't know what other menu items you are expecting nor what the "little person icon" is that you mention.

Check for any autofilters to the copies to self folder.  To do this, right click on any folder in the folder list, select Autofiltering and then Manage Autofilter filters. [/quote]

I would also guess there are Auto Filters in place for folders. In case autofiltering is activated, a "little person icon" appears next to the folder in folder tree. Deactivating the autofiltering should move the mails as expected.

<p>[quote user="Brian Fluet"]I don't know what other menu items you are expecting nor what the "little person icon" is that you mention.</p><p>... </p><p>Check for any autofilters to the copies to self folder.  To do this, right click on any folder in the folder list, select Autofiltering and then Manage Autofilter filters. [/quote]</p><p>I would also guess there are Auto Filters in place for folders. In case autofiltering is activated, a "little person icon" appears next to the folder in folder tree. Deactivating the autofiltering should move the mails as expected. </p>

Thanks Joerg!  I've learned something new today.

Can you tell which folders have autofiltering enabled simply by looking for "little person" icons in the folder list?

<p>Thanks Joerg!  I've learned something new today.</p><p>Can you tell which folders have autofiltering enabled simply by looking for "little person" icons in the folder list? </p>

Removing the auto-filtering (and, thus, the "little person icon") did the trick!

I don't really understand how auto-filtering on some random folder would cause

a problem in the copies-to-self folder, but that seems to be the case. Thanks

for all the help.

<p>Removing the auto-filtering (and, thus, the "little person icon") did the trick!</p><p>I don't really understand how auto-filtering on some random folder would cause</p><p>a problem in the copies-to-self folder, but that seems to be the case. Thanks</p><p>for all the help. </p><p> </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft