Community Discussions and Support
Mail in inbox cut in two parts

This evening (GMT +01.00) I've finally send the file to the beta team. Many thanks for helping.

Pieter

<p>This evening (GMT +01.00) I've finally send the file to the beta team. Many thanks for helping.</p><p>Pieter </p>

Dear all,

Sometimes a mail in the inbox is cut into two pieces - filtering is on,

just move the mail to another folder. The first part is moved to that

folder, the second part stays in the inbox, with "From = Unknown",

"Subject = (None)" and no Date/Time. And it's very hard to find which first part belongs to what second. Before I download the mails, I

check the mail server of the provider with the 'Selective

POP3 mail download' function, and all looks well.

Do you have any idea?

Kind greetings,

Pieter

<p>Dear all,</p><p>Sometimes a mail in the inbox is cut into two pieces - filtering is on, just move the mail to another folder. The first part is moved to that folder, the second part stays in the inbox, with "From = Unknown", "Subject = (None)" and no Date/Time. And it's very hard to find which first part belongs to what second. Before I download the mails, I check the mail server of the provider with the 'Selective POP3 mail download' function, and all looks well.</p><p>Do you have any idea? </p><p>Kind greetings,</p><p>Pieter </p>

Hi,

If your rule is based on say, From: and/or Subject: then it won't work as planned. Maybe you should try another header(s) common to both messages. What does this extra message contain? Attachments?

<p>Hi,</p><p>If your rule is based on say, From: and/or Subject: then it won't work as planned. Maybe you should try another header(s) common to both messages. What does this extra message contain? Attachments? </p>

-- Euler

Pegasus Mail 4.81.1154 Windows 7 Ultimate
IERenderer: 2.7.1.5 AttachMenu: 1.0.1.2
PMDebug: 2.5.8.34 BearHTML 4.9.9.6

Dear Mr. Euler,

The rule is From: and Sender:.

The second part of the message doesn't contain any attachment; for instance a part of HTML, and in the middle this line:

X-PMFLAGS: 16512 0 65537 PBPQS4MK.CNM

another starts with X-PMFLAGS: 16512 0 65537 PAHOVZCE.CNM
and the message is put after that line.

Kind greetings,

Pieter

<p>Dear Mr. Euler,</p><p>The rule is From: and Sender:.</p><p>The second part of the message doesn't contain any attachment; for instance a part of HTML, and in the middle this line: </p><p>X-PMFLAGS: 16512 0 65537 PBPQS4MK.CNM</p><p>another starts with X-PMFLAGS: 16512 0 65537 PAHOVZCE.CNM and the message is put after that line.</p><p>Kind greetings,</p><p>Pieter </p>

Pieter,

I've never seen this behavior before. Can you identify the mail client used by the Sender. Look for a header like "X-mailer: Pegasus Mail for Windows (4.73.639)", no quotes, tough it may be missing. It may also help to know both your and the sender's service provider.

I also hope some of the Beta Testers jump into this thread too. [;)]

<p>Pieter,</p><p>I've never seen this behavior before. Can you identify the mail client used by the Sender. Look for a header like "X-mailer: Pegasus Mail for Windows (4.73.639)", no quotes, tough it may be missing. It may also help to know both your and the sender's service provider.</p><p>I also hope some of the Beta Testers jump into this thread too. [;)] </p>

-- Euler

[quote user="Euler GERMAN"]I also hope some of the Beta Testers jump into this thread too. [;)] [/quote]

Is it really worth the effort? I mean I'm seeing so many malformed messages which are simply spam and I really don't want to waste my time analysing garbage to begin with. Aside from this even large providers are sending out broken messages and it's a real waste of resources that we have to deal with such stuff. So again: Are these messages worth it? And if so, without seeing them there's nothing we can do except for wild guesses. IOW: If you put them into a ZIP file (i.e. the respective CNM files from the new mail folder, you may need to move filtered message back in there) and send them to <beta-reports [@] pmail.gen.nz> we may take a look at them, but I cannot promise anything ...

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;Euler GERMAN&quot;]I also hope some of the Beta Testers jump into this thread too. [;)] [/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Is it really worth the effort? I mean I&#039;m seeing so many malformed messages which are simply spam and I really don&#039;t want to waste my time analysing garbage to begin with. Aside from this even large providers are sending out broken messages and it&#039;s a real waste of resources that we have to deal with such stuff. So again: Are these messages worth it? And if so, without seeing them there&#039;s nothing we can do except for wild guesses. IOW: If you put them into a ZIP file (i.e. the respective CNM files from the new mail folder, you may need to move filtered message back in there) and send them to &amp;lt;beta-reports [@] pmail.gen.nz&amp;gt; we may take a look at them, but I cannot promise anything ... &lt;/p&gt;
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

I have never heard of this before either.  My only thought is to insure that the mailbox directory is excluded from active malware scanning.

If the problem occurs with enough regularity to run tests I would try to determine whether the problem is associated with the new main on-open filter.  To do this I would disable that filter and then add the same one as a new mail on-close filter.  This would then allow confirmation that the message arrives as one, and then determine if it breaks into two when the on-close filter acts on it.

&lt;p&gt;I have never heard of this before either.&amp;nbsp; My only thought is to insure that the mailbox directory is excluded from active malware scanning.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;If the problem occurs with enough regularity to run tests I would try to determine whether the problem is associated with the new main on-open filter.&amp;nbsp; To do this I would disable that filter and then add the same one as a new mail on-close filter.&amp;nbsp; This would then allow confirmation that the message arrives as one, and then determine if it breaks into two when the on-close filter acts on it. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="idw"]

[quote user="Euler GERMAN"]I also hope some of the Beta Testers jump into this thread too. [;)] [/quote]

Is it really worth the effort? I mean I'm seeing so many malformed messages which are simply spam and I really don't want to waste my time analysing garbage to begin with. Aside from this even large providers are sending out broken messages and it's a real waste of resources that we have to deal with such stuff.

[/quote]

I can't say as I'm not the one with the messages. I'm sure it is not Pegasus Mail fault. When it "splits" messages and attachments they all have full headers (e.g. Send attachments as separate messages), and may even have a short warning message in between if not told otherwise (e.g. Don't add 'attachment information' sections to Multipart messages). Now, splitting a message in two or more parts is NEW to me. If it was my mail provider fault I'd look at it or simply leave them. If it happened at sender's side, I'd advise to change either his/her mail client or mail provider.

Putting things under these perspectives there's nothing to be fixed either by you or by David. It's just to know if a certain mail provider and/or e-mail client (Web mail?) may be sending bogus messages in the wild and provide a quick support to the Community, and saving time.

[quote user=&quot;idw&quot;]&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;Euler GERMAN&quot;]I also hope some of the Beta Testers jump into this thread too. [;)] [/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Is it really worth the effort? I mean I&#039;m seeing so many malformed messages which are simply spam and I really don&#039;t want to waste my time analysing garbage to begin with. Aside from this even large providers are sending out broken messages and it&#039;s a real waste of resources that we have to deal with such stuff. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I can&#039;t say as I&#039;m not the one with the messages. I&#039;m sure it is not Pegasus Mail fault. When it &quot;splits&quot; messages and attachments they all have full headers (e.g. Send attachments as separate messages), and may even have a short warning message in between if not told otherwise (e.g. Don&#039;t add &#039;attachment information&#039; sections to Multipart messages). Now, splitting a message in two or more parts is NEW to me. If it was my mail provider fault I&#039;d look at it or simply leave them. If it happened at sender&#039;s side, I&#039;d advise to change either his/her mail client or mail provider.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Putting things under these perspectives there&#039;s nothing to be fixed either by you or by David. It&#039;s just to know if a certain mail provider and/or e-mail client (Web mail?) may be sending bogus messages in the wild and provide a quick support to the Community, and saving time. &lt;/p&gt;

-- Euler

live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft