Community Discussions and Support
VIEWER.PM on desktop on some Win10 machines

[quote user="Brian Fluet"]I like WSSETUP because it creates the appropriate MAILTO: and SENDTO: registry entries, including adding Pegasus Mail to the right-click context menu "Send to" list.[/quote]

Maybe I should give it a try next time since I still miss the Pmail entry in W10 standard app selection.

[quote user="Brian Fluet"]I like WSSETUP because it creates the appropriate MAILTO: and SENDTO: registry entries, including adding Pegasus Mail to the right-click context menu "Send to" list.[/quote]<p>Maybe I should give it a try next time since I still miss the Pmail entry in W10 standard app selection. </p>

At the office we are replacing Win7 machines with Win10 machines.  On the last two that we have done a VIEWER.PM file has been created on the desktop.  I assume that IER is doing this and based on the timing of when it started suspect IER v2.6.3.x versions .  The VIEWER.PM file does not reappear on the desktop once it has been deleted; the one in the mailbox directory gets used.

Pegasus Mail is run from a shared installation on a server.  Mailbox directories also reside on the server.  WSSETUP.EXE is used to create the Pmail shortcuts and registry entries on the Win10 machines. 

<p>At the office we are replacing Win7 machines with Win10 machines.  On the last two that we have done a VIEWER.PM file has been created on the desktop.  I assume that IER is doing this and based on the timing of when it started suspect IER v2.6.3.x versions .  The VIEWER.PM file does not reappear on the desktop once it has been deleted; the one in the mailbox directory gets used.</p><p>Pegasus Mail is run from a shared installation on a server.  Mailbox directories also reside on the server.  WSSETUP.EXE is used to create the Pmail shortcuts and registry entries on the Win10 machines.  </p>

[quote user="Brian Fluet"]At the office we are replacing Win7 machines with Win10 machines.  On the last two that we have done a VIEWER.PM file has been created on the desktop.  I assume that IER is doing this and based on the timing of when it started suspect IER v2.6.3.x versions .  The VIEWER.PM file does not reappear on the desktop once it has been deleted; the one in the mailbox directory gets used.[/quote]

IER uses the following algorithm for detecting the file path to search for VIEWER.PM: The first path to check is the directory containing WINPM-32.EXE. If it can't find WINPM-32.EXE this way it reads the Registry entry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Pegasus Mail\BaseDir. If it cannot write to a file named VIEWER.PM in the directory identified this way it reads HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Pegasus Mail\Newmail and tries to write to VIEWER.PM in the directory identified this way, and the final attempt will be trying to use what can be found in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Pegasus Mail\Mailbox. I've always assumed (and tested on my machine) that Pegasus Mail updates resp. creates these Registry entries before loading any extensions so I didn't expect any such things to happen like you've seen now. Did these files have any contents, BTW? Maybe I should not only test for being writable but for existance to begin with? But I don't really understand why this happens in the beginning and doesn't do on further starts of Pegasus Mail anymore if you created the Registry entries before Pegasus Mail was launched the first time on the respective machines ...

<p>[quote user="Brian Fluet"]At the office we are replacing Win7 machines with Win10 machines.  On the last two that we have done a VIEWER.PM file has been created on the desktop.  I assume that IER is doing this and based on the timing of when it started suspect IER v2.6.3.x versions .  The VIEWER.PM file does not reappear on the desktop once it has been deleted; the one in the mailbox directory gets used.[/quote]</p><p>IER uses the following algorithm for detecting the file path to search for VIEWER.PM: The first path to check is the directory containing WINPM-32.EXE. If it can't find WINPM-32.EXE this way it reads the Registry entry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Pegasus Mail\BaseDir. If it cannot write to a file named VIEWER.PM in the directory identified this way it reads HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Pegasus Mail\Newmail and tries to write to VIEWER.PM in the directory identified this way, and the final attempt will be trying to use what can be found in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Pegasus Mail\Mailbox. I've always assumed (and tested on my machine) that Pegasus Mail updates resp. creates these Registry entries before loading any extensions so I didn't expect any such things to happen like you've seen now. Did these files have any contents, BTW? Maybe I should not only test for being writable but for existance to begin with? But I don't really understand why this happens in the beginning and doesn't do on further starts of Pegasus Mail anymore if you created the Registry entries before Pegasus Mail was launched the first time on the respective machines ... </p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

I've now changed my code to not create a VIEWER.PM file in places where none exists to begin with.

I've now changed my code to not create a VIEWER.PM file in places where none exists to begin with.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

I don't know what you are doing to try to detect the path to WINPM-23.EXE but all of the registries keys you are checking won't exist until Pegasus Mail is first run.  Can you skip any action associated with VIEWER.PM if HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Pegasus Mail doesn't exist?  This should only be on first run of Pegasus Mail and maybe only on network installations done using the WSSETUP.EXE utility.

<p>I don't know what you are doing to try to detect the path to WINPM-23.EXE but all of the registries keys you are checking won't exist until Pegasus Mail is first run.  Can you skip any action associated with VIEWER.PM if HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Pegasus Mail doesn't exist?  This should only be on first run of Pegasus Mail and maybe only on network installations done using the WSSETUP.EXE utility.</p>

[quote user="idw"]I've now changed my code to not create a VIEWER.PM file in places where none exists to begin with.
[/quote]

That should work! 

Looks like you posted this at about the same time as I was posting my last response. [8-)]

<p>[quote user="idw"]I've now changed my code to not create a VIEWER.PM file in places where none exists to begin with. [/quote]</p><p>That should work!  </p><p>Looks like you posted this at about the same time as I was posting my last response. [8-)] </p>

Brian,

Hope the W10 upgrade process is going well with you. In the meantime we have succeeded the upgrade process of our 20 user machines.

We never experience this behaviour with the viewer.pm at a user's desktop. But I don't use wssetup.exe and that's why mostly all registry keys are missing, more or less. After setting (or couterchecking) the desktop link to \\server\...\winpm-32.exe I only aditionally set the MAILTO: settings in Firefox and the SEND TO: settings of Windows (in C:\Users\{YourUsername}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo\) to the path  \\server\...\wsendto.exe.

The next to last IER update has been carried our by IER setup from a client machine. It found the server path automatically and has updated without problems, putting the viewer.pm at the server. For the last update I used the unzipper and have replaced the dll at the server only.

<p>Brian,</p><p>Hope the W10 upgrade process is going well with you. In the meantime we have succeeded the upgrade process of our 20 user machines. </p><p>We never experience this behaviour with the viewer.pm at a user's desktop. But I don't use wssetup.exe and that's why mostly all registry keys are missing, more or less. After setting (or couterchecking) the desktop link to \\server\...\winpm-32.exe I only aditionally set the MAILTO: settings in Firefox and the SEND TO: settings of Windows (in C:\Users\{YourUsername}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo\) to the path  \\server\...\wsendto.exe.</p><p>The next to last IER update has been carried our by IER setup from a client machine. It found the server path automatically and has updated without problems, putting the viewer.pm at the server. For the last update I used the unzipper and have replaced the dll at the server only. </p>

Joerg,

I like WSSETUP because it creates the appropriate MAILTO: and SENDTO: registry entries, including adding Pegasus Mail to the right-click context menu "Send to" list.

The VIEWER.PM issue was a minor one.  I'm glad Michael was able to quickly identify the cause and a fix.  I still don't know why it only occurred on the most recent two set-ups of Pegasus Mail on Win10 machines.

<p>Joerg,</p><p>I like WSSETUP because it creates the appropriate MAILTO: and SENDTO: registry entries, including adding Pegasus Mail to the right-click context menu "Send to" list. </p><p>The VIEWER.PM issue was a minor one.  I'm glad Michael was able to quickly identify the cause and a fix.  I still don't know why it only occurred on the most recent two set-ups of Pegasus Mail on Win10 machines. </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft