Community Discussions and Support
Locating Folders

How many Pmail folders have you arranged? Depending on the the number of such folders and subfolders (and their content) within your Pmail folder tree, Pmail takes more time for startup (under W10). When starting Pmail it shows "locating folders - 25" also with me. It seems "25" is only the first step, where 25 folders have been read. My computer (W10 1909) needs around 11 seconds for hundrets of folders. But my computer is fitted with an fast SSD and connected by Gbit network to the server where the mails reside. But other users of mine have more than 1000 folders where Pmail needs about 20 to 30 seconds for the first start. But only for the first start of a day. Subsequent startups are very fast. It seems Windows is chaching the folder structure or folder content. I guess, you have to live with.

How many Pmail folders have you arranged? Depending on the the number of such folders and subfolders (and their content) within your Pmail folder tree, Pmail takes more time for startup (under W10). When starting Pmail it shows "locating folders - 25" also with me. It seems "25" is only the first step, where 25 folders have been read. My computer (W10 1909) needs around 11 seconds for hundrets of folders. But my computer is fitted with an fast SSD and connected by Gbit network to the server where the mails reside. But other users of mine have more than 1000 folders where Pmail needs about 20 to 30 seconds for the first start. But only for the first start of a day. Subsequent startups are very fast. It seems Windows is chaching the folder structure or folder content. I guess, you have to live with.

Hi Everyone,

Just returned to Pegasus (oh how I mssed it!). Installed 4.73 on Windows 10(1909). It works fine except---every time I launch PMail it pops a little screen called "Locating Folders". It goes 25 at a time and take 20+ seconds, sometimes much longer. Impatient me, it's very annoying. It's been doing this since I installed it. Reinstalled a couple of times. No change. Why is it doing this and what's the fix?

Thanks,

Tariya 

<p>Hi Everyone,</p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Just returned to Pegasus (oh how I mssed it!). Installed 4.73 on Windows 10(1909). It works fine except---every time I launch PMail it pops a little screen called "Locating Folders". It goes 25 at a time and take 20+ seconds, sometimes much longer. Impatient me, it's very annoying. It's been doing this since I installed it. Reinstalled a couple of times. No change. Why is it doing this and what's the fix?</span></p><p>Thanks,</p><p>Tariya </p><p>. </p>

Sounds like you set it up to connect via IMAP. If so take a look at the caching and subscription options of your IMAP configuration to enhance performance.

Sounds like you set it up to connect via IMAP. If so take a look at the caching and subscription options of your IMAP configuration to enhance performance.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

No, it's POP3. Interestingly enough, if I don't open PMail right after starting up the computer (which I usually do) after 15 min. or so, it doesn't do it, which leads me to believe it has something to do with all of the Windows convolutions settling down. This running on a high-end HP laptop with everything updated.

No, it's POP3. Interestingly enough, if I don't open PMail right after starting up the computer (which I usually do) after 15 min. or so, it doesn't do it, which leads me to believe it has something to do with all of the Windows convolutions settling down. This running on a high-end HP laptop with everything updated.

You may need to learn to tolerate the occurrence of the  "locating folders" 25 at a time.  My experience is that it doesn't happen with every startup but it can occur several starts in a row and then not occur for several starts before occurring again.  I haven't been able to identify the cause but am certain that mine is not tied to windows startup activity.

<p>You may need to learn to tolerate the occurrence of the  "locating folders" 25 at a time.  My experience is that it doesn't happen with every startup but it can occur several starts in a row and then not occur for several starts before occurring again.  I haven't been able to identify the cause but am certain that mine is not tied to windows startup activity. </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft