Community Discussions and Support
Suggestions needed on how best to rebuild a mailbox

[quote user="Joerg"]Only one e-mail caused that problem? Delete it and the problem is gone. This is the most fast solution. [/quote]

If only the message has been worthless.  Unfortunately, it wasn't disposable.  It contained a form in its body that had to be printed, filled in, signed, scanned, and returned.

[quote user="Joerg"]Or try to forward it to another user (not bouncing, but with editing before forwarding), deleting it, and returning it back from the other user to the original user. Does the problem keep?[/quote]

I've already copied the .cnm to multiple other mailboxes and tested on different machines.  I can only duplicate the crash when running as that user, regardless of the machine.

[quote user="Joerg"]Another try is to remove the personal viewer.pm from the affected user and replacing it with the one from another user where this e-mail works. The viewer.pm  file is still a suspicious file for me without complete understanding[/quote]

The purpose of rebuilding the mailbox was to get all new configuration files, that included viewer.pm.  Only message files, folders, address books, and the recently used file where brought in from the old mailbox.

<p>[quote user="Joerg"]Only one e-mail caused that problem? Delete it and the problem is gone. This is the most fast solution. [/quote]</p><p>If only the message has been worthless.  Unfortunately, it wasn't disposable.  It contained a form in its body that had to be printed, filled in, signed, scanned, and returned. </p><p>[quote user="Joerg"]Or try to forward it to another user (not bouncing, but with editing before forwarding), deleting it, and returning it back from the other user to the original user. Does the problem keep?[/quote]</p><p>I've already copied the .cnm to multiple other mailboxes and tested on different machines.  I can only duplicate the crash when running as that user, regardless of the machine. </p><p>[quote user="Joerg"]Another try is to remove the personal viewer.pm from the affected user and replacing it with the one from another user where this e-mail works. The viewer.pm  file is still a suspicious file for me without complete understanding[/quote]</p><p>The purpose of rebuilding the mailbox was to get all new configuration files, that included viewer.pm.  Only message files, folders, address books, and the recently used file where brought in from the old mailbox. </p>

I have a user who is experiencing random crashes of Pegasus Mail when attempting printing and replies.  I can't duplicate the problem in any other mailbox so am considering rebuilding his mailbox and then copying in the existing data from backup.  I don't have a vision of how to approach this with Mercury in mind.  Thoughts would be appreciated.

FWIW,  Pegasus Mail is a multi-user shared installation with its program files and the mailboxes on a server.  Mercury POPs domain hosted mailboxes and distributes to the appropriate local mailboxes.

TIA!

<p>I have a user who is experiencing random crashes of Pegasus Mail when attempting printing and replies.  I can't duplicate the problem in any other mailbox so am considering rebuilding his mailbox and then copying in the existing data from backup.  I don't have a vision of how to approach this with Mercury in mind.  Thoughts would be appreciated.</p><p>FWIW,  Pegasus Mail is a multi-user shared installation with its program files and the mailboxes on a server.  Mercury POPs domain hosted mailboxes and distributes to the appropriate local mailboxes. </p><p>TIA! </p>

I would think using the backup data after rebuilding his user account will not solve the problem since Pmail (program files) will be started from the same shared source and the backup should contain any problematic mails again (if made the backup regularly, i.e. every night).

I had similar problems in past where single users have odd e-mails or entire folders were compromised. Could you narrow down the problem to single e-mails or single Pmail folders? I've got one user with about 4000 e-mails per year, stored within one folder including attachments. At the server share this folder has nearly reached the 2 GB limitation and needs time when starting Pmail or moving single mails. Especially moving of mails from or into this folder takes more and more time, the more mails have to be moved from or thereto. I've often have used the maintenance tool to trepair this folder or its IDs. But it didn't help. Finally I've created a new folder in Pmail and had to move all mails, step by step, always 50 pcs by 50 pcs (more than 50 at a time was not possible, since the movement became slowlier and slowlier). Finally I removed the old empty folder and rename the new one, and it works fast again. No idea why the maintenance tool wasn't able to detect any errors and repair this folder.

<p>I would think using the backup data after rebuilding his user account will not solve the problem since Pmail (program files) will be started from the same shared source and the backup should contain any problematic mails again (if made the backup regularly, i.e. every night).</p><p>I had similar problems in past where single users have odd e-mails or entire folders were compromised. Could you narrow down the problem to single e-mails or single Pmail folders? I've got one user with about 4000 e-mails per year, stored within one folder including attachments. At the server share this folder has nearly reached the 2 GB limitation and needs time when starting Pmail or moving single mails. Especially moving of mails from or into this folder takes more and more time, the more mails have to be moved from or thereto. I've often have used the maintenance tool to trepair this folder or its IDs. But it didn't help. Finally I've created a new folder in Pmail and had to move all mails, step by step, always 50 pcs by 50 pcs (more than 50 at a time was not possible, since the movement became slowlier and slowlier). Finally I removed the old empty folder and rename the new one, and it works fast again. No idea why the maintenance tool wasn't able to detect any errors and repair this folder. </p>

Thanks Joerg.  I ended up emptying his mailbox director and then running Pegasus Mail so that it would create new configuration files.  I then copied back all of the data files. 

Unfortunately this didn't solve the problem which I believe to be associated with IER.  There is one message that crashes Pegasus Mail for this user when he hits the Print button (ctrl + shift +p works) or attempts a reply with html content.  Oddly, I have copied this .cnm file to two different users and to my flash drive installation of Pmail and can not duplicate the crash.  I have also run Pegasus Mail as that user an a different machine and could not duplicate the machine.  This indicates that there is something specific to this users mailbox that is causing the problem which is why I rebuilt it.  

I have been in touch with Michael who couldn't duplicate the crash either but he thinks he identified the cause so will include a fix in the next IER.  We haven't been able to identify why the crash only occurs for one user when all users are running the shared installation of Pmail and IER.

<p>Thanks Joerg.  I ended up emptying his mailbox director and then running Pegasus Mail so that it would create new configuration files.  I then copied back all of the data files. </p><p> Unfortunately this didn't solve the problem which I believe to be associated with IER.  There is one message that crashes Pegasus Mail for this user when he hits the Print button (ctrl + shift +p works) or attempts a reply with html content.  Oddly, I have copied this .cnm file to two different users and to my flash drive installation of Pmail and can not duplicate the crash.  I have also run Pegasus Mail as that user an a different machine and could not duplicate the machine.  This indicates that there is something specific to this users mailbox that is causing the problem which is why I rebuilt it.   </p><p>I have been in touch with Michael who couldn't duplicate the crash either but he thinks he identified the cause so will include a fix in the next IER.  We haven't been able to identify why the crash only occurs for one user when all users are running the shared installation of Pmail and IER. </p>

Only one e-mail caused that problem? Delete it and the problem is gone. This is the most fast solution. [:D]

Or try to forward it to another user (not bouncing, but with editing before forwarding), deleting it, and returning it back from the other user to the original user. Does the problem keep?

Another try is to remove the personal viewer.pm from the affected user and replacing it with the one from another user where this e-mail works. The viewer.pm  file is still a suspicious file for me without complete understanding  [;)]

<p>Only one e-mail caused that problem? Delete it and the problem is gone. This is the most fast solution. [:D]</p><p>Or try to forward it to another user (not bouncing, but with editing before forwarding), deleting it, and returning it back from the other user to the original user. Does the problem keep?</p><p>Another try is to remove the personal viewer.pm from the affected user and replacing it with the one from another user where this e-mail works. The viewer.pm  file is still a suspicious file for me without complete understanding  [;)] </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft