Community Discussions and Support
Outgoing Messages Stuck in Send Queue

[quote user="Brian Fluet"]...There isn't any reference to the missing attachment on the recipient end....[/quote]

I misspoke here.  There is the attachment symbol in the left column of the Pegasus Mail new mail folder for each of the messages that were sent without the attachment.  The attachment pane only shows a plain text part of the message body.  This is not normal for plain text messages so Pegasus Mail is transmitting knowledge of an attachment even though there isn't one.  The fact that the attachment shows as a plain text part of the message body is confusing.

<p>[quote user="Brian Fluet"]...There isn't any reference to the missing attachment on the recipient end....[/quote]</p><p>I misspoke here.  There is the attachment symbol in the left column of the Pegasus Mail new mail folder for each of the messages that were sent without the attachment.  The attachment pane only shows a plain text part of the message body.  This is not normal for plain text messages so Pegasus Mail is transmitting knowledge of an attachment even though there isn't one.  The fact that the attachment shows as a plain text part of the message body is confusing. </p>

Hi,

I'm running Pegasus 4.72 on Windows 10.   Pegasus is installed in C:\PMAIL. 

I recently sent some emails with some forwarded attachments.  Evidently, in 2 cases, an attachment was deleted before the message was sent..  Now, when I try to send any email or close the app, Pegasus tries to send these 2 messages first.  This gives me 2 similar error messages, one for each missing attachment - 

"The file 'WPM$XIU0.PM$' which has been attached to a message in your outgoing mail queue, cannot be located. Please edit and re-attach the file, or remove it prior to sending.

The message has not been processed."

There is no option given to delete the queued messages, so this problem will persist indefinitely.  But that isn't the only problem.  Evidently, this situation causes Pegasus to get confused about sending the email that I actually requested to be sent.  Although the status line seems to indicate that the file is being sent, it generally never does appear in the Sent folder.  It just stays open in the window.

I have tried to figure out where the queue is stored so that I can try to manually delete the stuck messages.  I have also tried to find where the attachments being sent are stored, so that I can put in dummy attachment files for the ones that are missing.  I have been unsuccessful in both cases.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, since I can never be sure that a message that I send actually gets sent.

Thanks.

Harry R. 

<p>Hi,</p><p> I'm running Pegasus 4.72 on Windows 10.<span style="font-size: 10pt;">   Pegasus is installed in C:\PMAIL.</span><span style="font-size: 10pt;"> </span></p><p>I recently sent some emails with some forwarded attachments.  Evidently, in 2 cases, an attachment was deleted before the message was sent..  Now, w<span style="font-size: 10pt;">hen I try to send any email or close the app, Pegasus tries to send these 2 messages first.  This gives me 2 similar error messages, one for each missing attachment - </span></p><p>"The file 'WPM$XIU0.PM$' which has been attached to a message in your outgoing mail queue, cannot be located. Please edit and re-attach the file, or remove it prior to sending.</p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">The message has not been processed."</span></p><p>There is no option given to delete the queued messages, so this problem will persist indefinitely.  But that isn't the only problem.  Evidently, this situation causes Pegasus to get confused about sending the email that I actually requested to be sent.  Although the status line seems to indicate that the file is being sent, it generally never does appear in the Sent folder.  It just stays open in the window.</p><p> I have tried to figure out where the queue is stored so that I can try to manually delete the stuck messages.  I have also tried to find where the attachments being sent are stored, so that I can put in dummy attachment files for the ones that are missing.  I have been unsuccessful in both cases.</p><p> Any help would be greatly appreciated, since I can never be sure that a message that I send actually gets sent.</p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Thanks.</span></p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Harry R. </span></p>

Queued mail is stored as either .PMO, .PMX, or .PMW files in your HOME mail directory.  Typically a stuck one has a zero byte size so that is the place to start. 

While in there look for any .PM$ files and delete those as well.  These are temporary files used by Pegasus Mail when

parsing attachments and/or html files.  Normally they are deleted automatically but they can be orphaned.

If you don't know where your HOME mail directory is use the 'Info' button located in Help | About Pegasus Mail...

<p>Queued mail is stored as either .PMO, .PMX, or .PMW files in your HOME mail directory.  Typically a stuck one has a zero byte size so that is the place to start.  </p><p>While in there look for any .PM$ files and delete those as well.  These are temporary files used by Pegasus Mail when parsing attachments and/or html files.  Normally they are deleted automatically but they can be orphaned. </p>If you don't know where your HOME mail directory is use the 'Info' button located in Help | About Pegasus Mail...

Thanks for the prompt response, Brian.  I had tried to do this before based on an old post I found, but my File Explorer search function isn't working properly.  I finally found 2 .PMW files, but neither had zero size.  I renamed the extension (just in case) and ran Pegasus again.  It is fixed, although one of the renamed files seems to have disappeared..

Thanks again.

I have several other more sophisticated problems with Pegasus that I've been suffering with for a long time.  I have considered changing to another email client, but there's so much work involved that I haven't done it yet.  When I get a chance to document them, I'll post them, too.

<p>Thanks for the prompt response, Brian.  I had tried to do this before based on an old post I found, but my File Explorer search function isn't working properly.  I finally found 2 .PMW files, but neither had zero size.  I renamed the extension (just in case) and ran Pegasus again.  It is fixed, although one of the renamed files seems to have disappeared..</p><p>Thanks again.</p><p> I have several other more sophisticated problems with Pegasus that I've been suffering with for a long time.  I have considered changing to another email client, but there's so much work involved that I haven't done it yet.  When I get a chance to document them, I'll post them, too.</p><p> </p>

[quote user="HTR"]

Hi,

I'm running Pegasus 4.72 on Windows 10.   Pegasus is installed in C:\PMAIL. 

I recently sent some emails with some forwarded attachments.  Evidently, in 2 cases, an attachment was deleted before the message was sent..  Now, when I try to send any email or close the app, Pegasus tries to send these 2 messages first.  This gives me 2 similar error messages, one for each missing attachment - 

"The file 'WPM$XIU0.PM$' which has been attached to a message in your outgoing mail queue, cannot be located. Please edit and re-attach the file, or remove it prior to sending.

The message has not been processed."[/quote]

When you delete an attachment listed as part of a message waiting in the queue you create a problem beyond detection. As advised, you may open your queued message (e.g File > Review queued mail...), remove it from the attachment list, and re-send the message to queue. BTW, I found very useful to keep Queue Manager window always open.

[quote user="HTR"]There is no option given to delete the queued messages, so this problem will persist indefinitely.  But that isn't the only problem.  Evidently, this situation causes Pegasus to get confused about sending the email that I actually requested to be sent.  Although the status line seems to indicate that the file is being sent, it generally never does appear in the Sent folder.  It just stays open in the window.[/quote]

Of course you can delete any queued mail from the Queue Manager (File > Review queued mail...). Select messages and click Delete button. As long messages are not in its "final form" (see screenshot) they can be also edited, that is, you can open the "offending" message and remove the non-existent attachment reference, and then re-send the message to be processed.

[quote user="HTR"]

I have tried to figure out where the queue is stored so that I can try to manually delete the stuck messages.  I have also tried to find where the attachments being sent are stored, so that I can put in dummy attachment files for the ones that are missing.  I have been unsuccessful in both cases.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, since I can never be sure that a message that I send actually gets sent.

Thanks.

Harry R. 

[/quote]

Brian already answered that part but I'd advise you to avoid hacking those files unless you feel ve secure doing so. Try the Queue Manager first. I'm quite sure it will supply your needs.

[quote user="HTR"]<p>Hi,</p><p> I'm running Pegasus 4.72 on Windows 10.<span style="font-size: 10pt;">   Pegasus is installed in C:\PMAIL.</span><span style="font-size: 10pt;"> </span></p><p>I recently sent some emails with some forwarded attachments.  Evidently, in 2 cases, an attachment was deleted before the message was sent..  Now, w<span style="font-size: 10pt;">hen I try to send any email or close the app, Pegasus tries to send these 2 messages first.  This gives me 2 similar error messages, one for each missing attachment - </span></p><p>"The file 'WPM$XIU0.PM$' which has been attached to a message in your outgoing mail queue, cannot be located. Please edit and re-attach the file, or remove it prior to sending.</p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">The message has not been processed."</span>[/quote]</p><p>When you delete an attachment listed as part of a message waiting in the queue you create a problem beyond detection. As advised, you may open your queued message (e.g File > Review queued mail...), remove it from the attachment list, and re-send the message to queue. BTW, I found very useful to keep Queue Manager window always open. </p><p>[quote user="HTR"]There is no option given to delete the queued messages, so this problem will persist indefinitely.  But that isn't the only problem.  Evidently, this situation causes Pegasus to get confused about sending the email that I actually requested to be sent.  Although the status line seems to indicate that the file is being sent, it generally never does appear in the Sent folder.  It just stays open in the window.[/quote]</p><p>Of course you can delete any queued mail from the Queue Manager (File > Review queued mail...). Select messages and click Delete button. As long messages are not in its "final form" (see screenshot) they can be also edited, that is, you can open the "offending" message and remove the non-existent attachment reference, and then re-send the message to be processed. </p><p>[quote user="HTR"]  I have tried to figure out where the queue is stored so that I can try to manually delete the stuck messages.  I have also tried to find where the attachments being sent are stored, so that I can put in dummy attachment files for the ones that are missing.  I have been unsuccessful in both cases.</p><p> Any help would be greatly appreciated, since I can never be sure that a message that I send actually gets sent.</p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Thanks.</span></p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Harry R. </span></p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Brian already answered that part but I'd advise you to avoid hacking those files unless you feel ve secure doing so. Try the Queue Manager first. I'm quite sure it will supply your needs. </p>

-- Euler

Pegasus Mail 4.81.1154 Windows 7 Ultimate
IERenderer: 2.7.1.5 AttachMenu: 1.0.1.2
PMDebug: 2.5.8.34 BearHTML 4.9.9.6

Thanks, Euler.  I like your method.  While I don't mind hacking the files (I'm a retired computer engineer), the Queue Manager is much simpler.  I'll leave that window open for awhile.  It will be interesting to watch what is going on behind the scenes.

Thanks, Euler.  I like your method.  While I don't mind hacking the files (I'm a retired computer engineer), the Queue Manager is much simpler.  I'll leave that window open for awhile.  It will be interesting to watch what is going on behind the scenes.

[quote user="HTR"]Thanks, Euler.  I like your method.  While I don't mind hacking the files (I'm a retired computer engineer), the Queue Manager is much simpler.  I'll leave that window open for awhile.  It will be interesting to watch what is going on behind the scenes.[/quote]

So we have something in common. [;)] Did you find your bogus message? I had something alike a long time ago but it was due to a malware scanning (Windows MSRT) which spot some zipfile as containing malware and quarantined it. That particular file was attached to a queued message and so a faced the same problem as you. My antivirus is instructed to not scan mailboxes but I have no control over MS procedures other then restrict auto-updates.

Back to the Queue Manager, I like the way it works. I'm from the dial-up days so placing messages in the queue was a must. Still is, IMHO. Besides, the QM offers you the opportunity to select and send immediately any message you like. I see it like "The best of two worlds."

<p>[quote user="HTR"]Thanks, Euler.  I like your method.  While I don't mind hacking the files (I'm a retired computer engineer), the Queue Manager is much simpler.  I'll leave that window open for awhile.  It will be interesting to watch what is going on behind the scenes.[/quote] </p><p>So we have something in common. [;)] Did you find your bogus message? I had something alike a long time ago but it was due to a malware scanning (Windows MSRT) which spot some zipfile as containing malware and quarantined it. That particular file was attached to a queued message and so a faced the same problem as you. My antivirus is instructed to not scan mailboxes but I have no control over MS procedures other then restrict auto-updates.</p><p>Back to the Queue Manager, I like the way it works. I'm from the dial-up days so placing messages in the queue was a must. Still is, IMHO. Besides, the QM offers you the opportunity to select and send immediately any message you like. I see it like "The best of two worlds." </p>

-- Euler

From time to time (and just today) some users of mine have similar problems with attached files. Those users often create e-mails over days and when starting creating the mail they attach some files directly. But when sending the mail (days later) other colleagues have already renamed, moved or removed the original file from the shared server drive where the attachment is linked to. This is annoying since it produces some oddities but no clear error message. I would prefer that the e-mail client is directly attaching and encoding an attachment at the mail draft when chosing the attachment and not only when sending the mail.

From time to time (and just today) some users of mine have similar problems with attached files. Those users often create e-mails over days and when starting creating the mail they attach some files directly. But when sending the mail (days later) other colleagues have already renamed, moved or removed the original file from the shared server drive where the attachment is linked to. This is annoying since it produces some oddities but no clear error message. I would prefer that the e-mail client is directly attaching and encoding an attachment at the mail draft when chosing the attachment and not only when sending the mail.

To offer a suggestion on this problem, the issue is the addition of an attachment to an outgoing message that is NOT immediately transmitted. The original message can be modified or deleted by the composer, or in a network case, altered/deleted by another use, with/without the composers knowledge.

The solution to this, especially if the composition takes multiple hours or days, is to save the <ul>draft message</ul> at the end of each active composition activity, and then when the message text is completed, and <b>ONLY</b> then, do a final edit on the saved draft message to add the attachment, and immediately send the message. Doing this will confirm both message text and attachment content to both sender and recipient. To reinforce this, the final message can be encrypted and signed with PGP or GPG encryption software. 

Martin 

&lt;p&gt;To offer a suggestion on this problem, the issue is the addition of an attachment to an outgoing message that is NOT immediately transmitted. The original message can be modified or deleted by the composer, or in a network case, altered/deleted by another use, with/without the composers knowledge.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;The solution to this, especially if the composition takes multiple hours or days, is to save the &amp;lt;ul&amp;gt;draft message&amp;lt;/ul&amp;gt; at the end of each active composition activity, and then when the message text is completed, and &amp;lt;b&amp;gt;ONLY&amp;lt;/b&amp;gt; then, do a final edit on the saved draft message to add the attachment, and immediately send the message. Doing this will confirm both message text and attachment content to both sender and recipient. To reinforce this, the final message can be encrypted and signed with PGP or GPG encryption software.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Martin&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; &lt;/p&gt;

Hi Martin,

I'm aware that this solution would be the best procedure and attaching files is not the problem of mine. But please keep always in mind that we have here about 20 Pmail users in our network environment where most of them have no idea ... and you could preach whatever you want, they forget everything in case its not used everyday. That's why we are always interested in practical and intuitive solutions for guys with less computer knowledges.

Presently we are testing Thunderbold in connection with Mercury connected via IMAP. Works fine at the moment. Of course with some limitations but you could still use your mailbox and all mail folders, and yo could also switch between Pmail and Thunderbold. Further many of my users use it at home and are skilled enough so that it's up to each user what he want to use at the office, Pmail or Thunderbold.

&lt;p&gt;Hi Martin,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I&#039;m aware that this solution would be the best procedure and attaching files is not the problem of mine. But please keep always in mind that we have here about 20 Pmail users in our network environment where most of them have no idea ... and you could preach whatever you want, they forget everything in case its not used everyday. That&#039;s why we are always interested in practical and intuitive solutions for guys with less computer knowledges. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Presently we are testing Thunderbold in connection with Mercury connected via IMAP. Works fine at the moment. Of course with some limitations but you could still use your mailbox and all mail folders, and yo could also switch between Pmail and Thunderbold. Further many of my users use it at home and are skilled enough so that it&#039;s up to each user what he want to use at the office, Pmail or Thunderbold. &lt;/p&gt;

Firstly, I really don't see how one could benefit from such feature. If people are attaching files subject to change they should be aware of that. Besides, if you save one or more files subject to change just to guarantee your mail client won't complain they couldn't be found when message is sent, you have to assume the risk of sending a deprecated/outdated file. In other words, there is not a fine solution in such scenario.

Secondly, I'm curious to know how Thunderbird (or any other mail client) would treat a missing attachment. I'd be very surprised if any client would act differently, but I must confess I didn't use many of them after discovering Pegasus Mail a few decades ago, and that includes Thunderbird.

I'll do some quick tests here trying to reproduce the missing file scenario as the updated file scenario is well treat: Pegasus will send file's last version always as long it is not locked/in-use by other application.

&lt;p&gt;Firstly, I really don&#039;t see how one could benefit from such feature. If people are attaching files subject to change they should be aware of that. Besides, if you save one or more files subject to change just to guarantee your mail client won&#039;t complain they couldn&#039;t be found when message is sent, you have to assume the risk of sending a deprecated/outdated file. In other words, there is not a fine solution in such scenario. Secondly, I&#039;m curious to know how Thunderbird (or any other mail client) would treat a missing attachment. I&#039;d be very surprised if any client would act differently, but I must confess I didn&#039;t use many of them after discovering Pegasus Mail a few decades ago, and that includes Thunderbird.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I&#039;ll do some quick tests here trying to reproduce the missing file scenario as the updated file scenario is well treat: Pegasus will send file&#039;s last version always as long it is not locked/in-use by other application. &lt;/p&gt;

-- Euler

Euler, you are right. T-bird is also not able to send an e-mail (with an attached file) out, in case the file has been renamed or removed at its linked position at harddisk prior transmitting the e-mail. BUT the important difference is, that T-bird is showing an error message (when trying to send), that shows something is wrong with the attached file, followed by a message that the mail couldn't be sent.

Instead of this Pmail is doing .... nothing [:|] When sending, Windows is showing the sandglass only for a while. Then it disappears and the new mail window is still there. Nobody knows what happened and my user comes always to me, asking whether their mails have been transmitted or not.

&lt;p&gt;Euler, you are right. T-bird is also not able to send an e-mail (with an attached file) out, in case the file has been renamed or removed at its linked position at harddisk prior transmitting the e-mail. BUT the important difference is, that T-bird is showing an error message (when trying to send), that shows something is wrong with the attached file, followed by a message that the mail couldn&#039;t be sent. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Instead of this Pmail is doing .... nothing&amp;nbsp;[:|] When sending, Windows is showing the sandglass only for a while. Then it disappears and the new mail window is still there. Nobody knows what happened and my user comes always to me, asking whether their mails have been transmitted or not. &lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="Euler GERMAN"]I'll do some quick tests here trying to reproduce the missing file scenario as the updated file scenario is well treat: Pegasus will send file's last version always as long it is not locked/in-use by other application.
[/quote]

Well, it didn't take too long. The error message occurs when message goes to its "final form", that is, when the PMO/PMW pair of files is built into the final PMX message format. But there's more...

If a message is being written or edit, and it has one or more files attached to it, and one or more of those files are deleted, the message will still be sent (it will go to the queue and will produce an error on its way out) BUT the message editor window won't close and that without any warning! Weird. It's worse: each time you click Send will produce a copy of the message in the queue. If the missing attachment is removed it closes fine after pressing the Send button.

Can any of you confirm this behavior?

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;Euler GERMAN&quot;]I&#039;ll do some quick tests here trying to reproduce the missing file scenario as the updated file scenario is well treat: Pegasus will send file&#039;s last version always as long it is not locked/in-use by other application. [/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Well, it didn&#039;t take too long. The error message occurs when message goes to its &quot;final form&quot;, that is, when the PMO/PMW pair of files is built into the final PMX message format. But there&#039;s more...&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;If a message is being written or edit, and it has one or more files attached to it, and one or more of those files are deleted, the message will still be sent (it will go to the queue and will produce an error on its way out) BUT the message editor window won&#039;t close and that without any warning! Weird. It&#039;s worse: each time you click Send will produce a copy of the message in the queue. If the missing attachment is removed it closes fine after pressing the Send button. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Can any of you confirm this behavior? &lt;/p&gt;

-- Euler

[quote user="Euler GERMAN"]If a message is being written or edit, and it has one or more files attached to it, and one or more of those files are deleted, the message will still be sent (it will go to the queue and will produce an error on its way out) BUT the message editor window won't close and that without any warning! Weird. It's worse: each time you click Send will produce a copy of the message in the queue. If the missing attachment is removed it closes fine after pressing the Send button.

Can any of you confirm this behavior?[/quote]

I don't queue mail so in my case, if the attachment no longer exists when clicking "Send" then I briefly see the Windows spinning circle but that is all.  The message editor window stays open yet the message gets sent.  There isn't any reference to the missing attachment on the recipient end.  Very odd indeed.

[quote user=&quot;Euler GERMAN&quot;]If a message is being written or edit, and it has one or more files attached to it, and one or more of those files are deleted, the message will still be sent (it will go to the queue and will produce an error on its way out) BUT the message editor window won&#039;t close and that without any warning! Weird. It&#039;s worse: each time you click Send will produce a copy of the message in the queue. If the missing attachment is removed it closes fine after pressing the Send button. &lt;p&gt;Can any of you confirm this behavior?[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I don&#039;t queue mail so in my case, if the attachment no longer exists when clicking &quot;Send&quot; then I briefly see the Windows spinning circle but that is all.&amp;nbsp; The message editor window stays open yet the message gets sent.&amp;nbsp; There isn&#039;t any reference to the missing attachment on the recipient end.&amp;nbsp; Very odd indeed. &lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft