Community Discussions and Support
Which files do I need to back up to restore the file structure?

[quote user="chriscw"]I do intend to add a backup of the remaining active accounts back into our  backup schedule as well.[/quote]

Don't wait too long, Chris!  Make it, today! [:D] Only this protect you from data losses of any company data. (Your signature sais "IT Manager" of a company)

We are running daily mirror backups at night, where the entire Mercury folder, entire Pmail folder and all mailbox folders of my 20 users will be saved at a mirror server in our LAN. This is quite fast since only the differences will be updated at night. So don't think about which files are to be saved and which not. Save them all.

Additionally once a week I save all at an external harddisk, taking it with me at home (of course, encrypted). For all backup tasks I use Window's "robocopy", where you are able to create nice batch files, creating 1:1 copies - and all simple and for free.

In Germany we have a legal retention period of all business related letters (where e-mails belonging to) of 6 years, and for tax related correspondences 10 years. Means there is a lot to retain [:(]

<p>[quote user="chriscw"]I do intend to add a backup of the remaining active accounts back into our  backup schedule as well.[/quote]</p><p>Don't wait too long, Chris!  Make it, today! [:D] Only this protect you from data losses of any company data. (Your signature sais "IT Manager" of a company) </p><p>We are running daily mirror backups at night, where the entire Mercury folder, entire Pmail folder and all mailbox folders of my 20 users will be saved at a mirror server in our LAN. This is quite fast since only the differences will be updated at night. So don't think about which files are to be saved and which not. Save them all.</p><p> Additionally once a week I save all at an external harddisk, taking it with me at home (of course, encrypted). For all backup tasks I use Window's "robocopy", where you are able to create nice batch files, creating 1:1 copies - and all simple and for free. </p><p>In Germany we have a legal retention period of all business related letters (where e-mails belonging to) of 6 years, and for tax related correspondences 10 years. Means there is a lot to retain [:(] </p>

I ask because I have twice lost it because I tried to shut down my PC while email was still being processed.  The first time was a good opportunity for a tidy up but I don't want to loose it again.  I know Heirach.PM is one of them.

I ask because I have twice lost it because I tried to shut down my PC while email was still being processed.  The first time was a good opportunity for a tidy up but I don't want to loose it again.  I know Heirach.PM is one of them.

HIERARCH.PM is indeed the one that contains folder structure

Others that get updated during Pegasus Mail close:

STATE.PMJ : Contains information about open windows at time of Pegasus close

PMAIL.INI : Contains settings, preferences, Identities, pointers to *.pnd files

FOLSTATE.PM : Contains record of open folders at time of Pegasus close.

Note:  Backing up just these files won't replace a full mailbox backup.

<p>HIERARCH.PM is indeed the one that contains folder structure</p><p>Others that get updated during Pegasus Mail close: </p><p>STATE.PMJ : Contains information about open windows at time of Pegasus close </p><p>PMAIL.INI : Contains settings, preferences, Identities, pointers to *.pnd files FOLSTATE.PM : Contains record of open folders at time of Pegasus close.</p><p>Note:  Backing up just these files won't replace a full mailbox backup. </p>

Thanks Brian,

I do intend to add a backup of the remaining active accounts back into our  backup schedule as well.

<p>Thanks Brian,</p><p>I do intend to add a backup of the remaining active accounts back into our  backup schedule as well.</p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft