Community Discussions and Support
Can't send certain messages from Pegasus. Due to ISP increased security measure?

I had a weird "can't send" in May 2020. I COULD "send" it, but the recipient's server returned it, saying sender's IP address was on a blacklist as a source of spam. Note: That wasn't MY IP address, it was the IP address of the people who host my email. (I, as do most people, I believe, send things to them, THEY send it onward.)

Anyway... when I took the text I wanted to send (it contained extensive quotes of emails and rejections, along with their headers, all in plain text) and put it in a .pdf (Thank you LibreOffice/ OpenOffice for the "save as .pdf" feature), and sent THAT, as an attachement, it went through fine... from the server that had be rejected several times just previously.

Sigh.

<p>I had a weird "can't send" in May 2020. I COULD "send" it, but the recipient's server returned it, saying sender's IP address was on a blacklist as a source of spam. Note: That wasn't MY IP address, it was the IP address of the people who host my email. (I, as do most people, I believe, send things to them, THEY send it onward.)</p><p>Anyway... when I took the text I wanted to send (it contained extensive quotes of emails and rejections, along with their headers, all in plain text) and put it in a .pdf (Thank you LibreOffice/ OpenOffice for the "save as .pdf" feature), and sent THAT, as an attachement, it went through fine... from the server that had be rejected several times just previously.</p><p> Sigh. </p>

I've been happily using Pegasus Mail since 1991, safely moving all my email folders from computer to computer over the course of 30 years.  I would hate to have to stop using Pegasus!

But suddenly I can no longer send certain kinds of messages despite using the same ISP and internet settings inside Pegasus which I have been using for the last five years, and my ISP has not altered its main settings.

Maybe the writing was on the wall when about a month ago my ISP sent me a message saying they would be updating their security for logging in, authentication, SSL, or something like that, warning that out-of-date email clients may need to be upgraded.  I looked to see if there was an update for "Pegasus Mail" but there hasn't been.  I checked my ISP's supported email clients and email apps and "Pegasus Mail" is not among them.  So I am guessing that there is something about certain emails sent from Pegasus which the new security arrangements do not like.

I am having no problem sending fresh messages, i.e. I write a fresh email, even include a CC address and a BCC address.  It goes.

I am having no problem replying to somebody else's fresh email to me.

But I have not been able to send an email addressed to three Pegasus Mail distribution lists, for example to addresses like "LIST1273.PML"  I receive a message saying "SMTP Network or Protocol Error sending email".  My only option to get that urgent message out to the people on the three lists was to write a fresh email within the ISP's website.

And I have not been able to reply to an email that has been replied to three or four times by myself and a correspondent.  In this case I receive a message referring to "pipe-lining".  Again, my only option to get that message out was to copy the text out of the rejected email and create a new email within the ISP's website.

I have done a bit of hunting on Google and found that some ISPs offer a settings button named "Allow less secure apps", but my ISP doesn't provide this option.

I'd hate to lose use of Pegasus Mail.  Any ideas, please?

Thanks.

Cat009.

<p>I've been happily using Pegasus Mail since 1991, safely moving all my email folders from computer to computer over the course of 30 years.  I would hate to have to stop using Pegasus!</p><p>But suddenly I can no longer send certain kinds of messages despite using the same ISP and internet settings inside Pegasus which I have been using for the last five years, and my ISP has not altered its main settings.</p><p>Maybe the writing was on the wall when about a month ago my ISP sent me a message saying they would be updating their security for logging in, authentication, SSL, or something like that, warning that out-of-date email clients may need to be upgraded.  I looked to see if there was an update for "Pegasus Mail" but there hasn't been.  I checked my ISP's supported email clients and email apps and "Pegasus Mail" is not among them.  So I am guessing that there is something about certain emails sent from Pegasus which the new security arrangements do not like.</p><p>I am having no problem sending fresh messages, i.e. I write a fresh email, even include a CC address and a BCC address.  It goes.</p><p>I am having no problem replying to somebody else's fresh email to me.</p><p>But I have not been able to send an email addressed to three Pegasus Mail distribution lists, for example to addresses like "LIST1273.PML"  I receive a message saying "SMTP Network or Protocol Error sending email".  My only option to get that urgent message out to the people on the three lists was to write a fresh email within the ISP's website. </p><p>And I have not been able to reply to an email that has been replied to three or four times by myself and a correspondent.  In this case I receive a message referring to "pipe-lining".  Again, my only option to get that message out was to copy the text out of the rejected email and create a new email within the ISP's website. </p><p>I have done a bit of hunting on Google and found that some ISPs offer a settings button named "Allow less secure apps", but my ISP doesn't provide this option.</p><p>I'd hate to lose use of Pegasus Mail.  Any ideas, please?</p><p>Thanks.</p><p>Cat009. </p><p> </p>

Firstly, it would help a lot if you could provide a log of this session. It will show exactly what is happening between Pegasus Mail and your mail server. More below.

The pipe-lining command is an extension of SMTP. It reduces the time it

takes to send multiple messages. A sending server would use pipe-lining

to send all the messages it has to a receiver in one go. This command is not available for mail servers that do not support Enhanced SMTP.

Example of SMTP transaction without SMTP pipe-lining

Server: 220 mail.authsmtp.com

Client: ehlo smtpclient.your-domain-name.com

Server: 250-mail.authsmtp.com

….

Client: MAIL FROM:

Server: 250 2.1.0 Ok

Client: RCPT TO:

Server: 250 2.1.5 Ok

Client: DATA

….

Client: .

Client: QUIT

Server: 221 Bye

Example of SMTP transaction with SMTP pipe-lining

Server: 220 mail.authsmtp.com

Client: ehlo smtpclient.your-domain-name.com

Server: 250-mail.authsmtp.com

Server: 250-PIPELINING

….

Client: MAIL FROM:

Server: 250 2.1.0 Sender Ok

Server: 250 2.1.5 Recipient Ok

Client: DATA

….

Client: .

Client: QUIT

<p>Server: 221 Bye</p>

It sounds clearly to me that your server changed the way it is handling messages. Again, a session log will shed lights on its behavior. Take care to remove or obfuscate login and password before posting it here.

&lt;p&gt;Firstly, it would help a lot if you could provide a log of this session. It will show exactly what is happening between Pegasus Mail and your mail server. More below. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;The pipe-lining command is an extension of SMTP. It reduces the time it takes to send multiple messages. A sending server would use pipe-lining to send all the messages it has to a receiver in one go. &lt;b&gt;This command is not available for mail servers that do not support Enhanced SMTP.&lt;/b&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;h2&gt;&lt;font size=&quot;2&quot;&gt;Example of SMTP transaction &lt;b&gt;without&lt;/b&gt; SMTP pipe-lining&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/h2&gt; &lt;code&gt; Server: 220 mail.authsmtp.com Client: ehlo smtpclient.your-domain-name.com Server: 250-mail.authsmtp.com &hellip;. Client: MAIL FROM: Server: 250 2.1.0 Ok Client: RCPT TO: Server: 250 2.1.5 Ok Client: RCPT TO: Server: 250 2.1.5 Ok Client: RCPT TO: Server: 250 2.1.5 Ok Client: DATA &hellip;. Client: . Client: QUIT Server: 221 Bye &lt;/code&gt; &lt;h2&gt;&lt;font size=&quot;2&quot;&gt;Example of SMTP transaction &lt;b&gt;with&lt;/b&gt; SMTP pipe-lining&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/h2&gt; &lt;code&gt; Server: 220 mail.authsmtp.com Client: ehlo smtpclient.your-domain-name.com Server: 250-mail.authsmtp.com Server: 250-PIPELINING &hellip;. Client: MAIL FROM: Client: RCPT TO: Client: RCPT TO: Client: RCPT TO: Server: 250 2.1.0 Sender Ok Server: 250 2.1.5 Recipient Ok Server: 250 2.1.5 Recipient Ok Server: 250 2.1.5 Recipient Ok Client: DATA &hellip;. Client: . Client: QUIT &lt;/code&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;code&gt; Server: 221 Bye&lt;/code&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;div&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;div&gt;It sounds clearly to me that your server changed the way it is handling messages. Again, a session log will shed lights on its behavior. Take care to remove or obfuscate login and password before posting it here. &lt;/div&gt;

-- Euler

Pegasus Mail 4.81.1154 Windows 7 Ultimate
IERenderer: 2.7.1.5 AttachMenu: 1.0.1.2
PMDebug: 2.5.8.34 BearHTML 4.9.9.6

Thank you, Euler! 

I have just tried to reproduce the fault by sending the same email with which I encountered the problem, but by sending it to myself with a copy to another email address of my own.  "Unfortunately" it went off without any problem.  So this makes me wonder if the problem lies beyond my own server, that possibly the ISP of the person I was writing to objected to something about the incoming email.

Anyway if or when I have the same problem again I will quickly copy Pegasus's error message and paste it here.

Regards,

Cat.

&lt;p&gt;Thank you, Euler!&amp;nbsp; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I have just tried to reproduce the fault by sending the same email with which I encountered the problem, but by sending it to myself with a copy to another email address of my own.&amp;nbsp; &quot;Unfortunately&quot; it went off without any problem.&amp;nbsp; So this makes me wonder if the problem lies beyond my own server, that possibly the ISP of the person I was writing to objected to something about the incoming email.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Anyway if or when I have the same problem again I will quickly copy Pegasus&#039;s error message and paste it here.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Regards,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Cat. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="Cat009"]

A Pegasus-user since 1991, when I found a Kiwi techie had installed it on the computers at an Internet cafe in Waterstones university bookshop in Bloomsbury, London. Loved it, installed it on my own computer, and have been using it ever since.

[/quote]

Superb! 

[quote user=&quot;Cat009&quot;]&lt;p&gt;A Pegasus-user since 1991, when I found a Kiwi techie had installed it on the computers at an Internet cafe in Waterstones university bookshop in Bloomsbury, London. Loved it, installed it on my own computer, and have been using it ever since.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Superb!&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

I was pleased to see "safely moving all my email folders from computer to computer"... that should be a help to you now. (And, "Me to0... but not for quite so many years. At least 15, though, I would guess)

The service I was getting on a @yahoo.com eddress was deteriorating over about a week before about 4 May 2020. About then, it became impossible even to connect to check headers. (Selective download). Immediate "error:1411B041:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_NEW_SESSION_TICKET:malloc failure" This on long stable hardware, undisturbed (apart from wretched Windows 10 "updates") software environment.

Oddly enough, opposite of your experience, I could SEND, even though I couldn't receive. Sigh.

ANYWAY... I did a rather drastic "strip it away and rebuild from wholesale backup of my identity's folder". (Rebuilt with vers 4.73.639, Mar 30 2018, build ID 639), and, though early days, so far so good. And I can receive and send again. (Header fetching still takes too much time.)

You might find that just an ordinary "update" would suffice. I went nuclear.

&lt;p&gt;I was pleased to see &quot;safely moving all my email folders from computer to computer&quot;... that should be a help to you now. (And, &quot;Me to0... but not for quite so many years. At least 15, though, I would guess) &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;The service I was getting on a @yahoo.com eddress was deteriorating over about a week before about 4 May 2020. About then, it became impossible even to connect to check headers. (Selective download). Immediate &quot;error:1411B041:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_NEW_SESSION_TICKET:malloc failure&quot; This on long stable hardware, undisturbed (apart from wretched Windows 10 &quot;updates&quot;) software environment.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Oddly enough, opposite of your experience, I could SEND, even though I couldn&#039;t receive. Sigh.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;ANYWAY... I did a rather drastic &quot;strip it away and rebuild from wholesale backup of my identity&#039;s folder&quot;. (Rebuilt with vers 4.73.639, Mar 30 2018, build ID 639), and, though early days, so far so good. And I can receive and send again. (Header fetching still takes too much time.)&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;You might find that just an ordinary &quot;update&quot; would suffice. I went nuclear. &lt;/p&gt;

"ANYWAY... I did a rather drastic "strip it away and rebuild from

wholesale backup of my identity's folder". (Rebuilt with vers 4.73.639,

Mar 30 2018, build ID 639), and, though early days, so far so good. And I

can receive and send again. (Header fetching still takes too much

time.)You might find that just an ordinary "update" would suffice. I went nuclear."

That's interesting, Sheepdog.  Glad it worked for you.  It wouldn't have helped in my situation because Sky had simply required the use of new passwords generated by Sky.  Once I used those new passwords in all of my email programs and apps, on a computer and several other devices, I was then able to send and receive email. 

&lt;p&gt;&lt;i&gt;&quot;ANYWAY... I did a rather drastic &quot;strip it away and rebuild from wholesale backup of my identity&#039;s folder&quot;. (Rebuilt with vers 4.73.639, Mar 30 2018, build ID 639), and, though early days, so far so good. And I can receive and send again. (Header fetching still takes too much time.)You might find that just an ordinary &quot;update&quot; would suffice. I went nuclear.&quot;&lt;/i&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;That&#039;s interesting, Sheepdog.&amp;nbsp; Glad it worked for you.&amp;nbsp; It wouldn&#039;t have helped in my situation because Sky had simply required the use of new passwords generated by Sky.&amp;nbsp; Once I used those new passwords in all of my email programs and apps, on a computer and several other devices, I was then able to send and receive email.&amp;nbsp; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft