Community Discussions and Support
How can I add a line of text at the TOP of a reply?

Joerg, thank you !!! I always thought this was not possible, i rechecked the options and found it. I always had to cut and paste my signatures which were always placed at the bottom, it's been driving me crazy for years. I couldn't understand why such a common feature was not readily available on pmail which is such a great programme.

[quote user="Joerg"]

Maybe I don't understand your problem completely. But you could adjust Pmail in that manner that your signature and the cursor are always placed at the top of a replied message. We do this since years. When replying a mail, the original message text will be copied into (without that strange ">" sign in front of each line), our signatature placed above the original text, and the cursor for typing the new answer on top. No problem with other guys.

[/quote]

<p>Joerg, thank you !!! I always thought this was not possible, i rechecked the options and found it. I always had to cut and paste my signatures which were always placed at the bottom, it's been driving me crazy for years. I couldn't understand why such a common feature was not readily available on pmail which is such a great programme. </p><p>[quote user="Joerg"]</p><p>Maybe I don't understand your problem completely. But you could adjust Pmail in that manner that your signature and the cursor are always placed at the top of a replied message. We do this since years. When replying a mail, the original message text will be copied into (without that strange ">" sign in front of each line), our signatature placed above the original text, and the cursor for typing the new answer on top. No problem with other guys. </p><p>[/quote] </p>

The Signatures feature just adds it at the bottom.

Perhaps I should have been more specific. Many of the people I email with, are Millennials, and are completely unfamiliar with Pegasus, and its reply quoting sections and > marks. They see the top of my reply and think that I just sent them back their message, and read no further. So at the VERY top line of the reply, I want it to add, to every reply:

My reply follows your > quoted text below: 

Think that would help? 

<p>The Signatures feature just adds it at the bottom.</p><p>Perhaps I should have been more specific. Many of the people I email with, are Millennials, and are completely unfamiliar with Pegasus, and its reply quoting sections and > marks. They see the top of my reply and think that I just sent them back their message, and read no further. So at the VERY top line of the reply, I want it to add, to every reply:</p><p>My reply follows your > quoted text below:<span style="font-size: 10pt;"> </span></p><p>Think that would help? </p>

Use the "Use a custom header line" from your Reply options pane. Click on it twice to open the options dialog. In fact, you can add more than a line if you want. Please, check the instructions carefully (or Pmail Help) to learn how to use feature's options and placeholders.

<p>Use the "Use a custom header line" from your Reply options pane. Click on it twice to open the options dialog. In fact, you can add more than a line if you want. Please, check the instructions carefully (or Pmail Help) to learn how to use feature's options and placeholders.</p>

-- Euler

Pegasus Mail 4.81.1154 Windows 7 Ultimate
IERenderer: 2.7.1.5 AttachMenu: 1.0.1.2
PMDebug: 2.5.8.34 BearHTML 4.9.9.6

Just to add to my previous post: you may also consider using the Glossary. It's more versatile IMO.

Just to add to my previous post: you may also consider using the Glossary. It's more versatile IMO.

-- Euler

+1 to Glossary entries. 

They're not automatic but are very flexible and can be inserted wherever you want with just a few keystrokes.

<p>+1 to Glossary entries.  </p><p>They're not automatic but are very flexible and can be inserted wherever you want with just a few keystrokes. </p>

OK, despite the character limit on the first line, I think I've got it, without additional keystrokes:

My reply follows your > quoted text: 

On 20 Feb 2020 at 15:45, Name wrote 

<p>OK, despite the character limit on the first line, I think I've got it, without additional keystrokes:</p><p> </p><p> My reply follows your > quoted text: </p><p> </p><p>On 20 Feb 2020 at 15:45, Name wrote<span style="font-size: 10pt;"> </span></p>

[quote user="Brian Fluet"]

+1 to Glossary entries. 

They're not automatic but are very flexible and can be inserted wherever you want with just a few keystrokes.

[/quote]

Thanks guys. I not only wanted it automatic, but the glossary appears to be for adding things like umlauts to words. Confusing, but not automatic, so... 

[quote user="Brian Fluet"]<p>+1 to Glossary entries.  </p><p>They're not automatic but are very flexible and can be inserted wherever you want with just a few keystrokes. </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Thanks guys. I not only wanted it automatic, but the glossary appears to be for adding things like umlauts to words. Confusing, but not automatic, so... </p>

[quote user="Melissa2011B"]The Signatures feature just adds it at the bottom.[/quote]

Maybe I don't understand your problem completely. But you could adjust Pmail in that manner that your signature and the cursor are always placed at the top of a replied message. We do this since years. When replying a mail, the original message text will be copied into (without that strange ">" sign in front of each line), our signatature placed above the original text, and the cursor for typing the new answer on top. No problem with other guys.

<p>[quote user="Melissa2011B"]The Signatures feature just adds it at the bottom.[/quote]</p><p>Maybe I don't understand your problem completely. But you could adjust Pmail in that manner that your signature and the cursor are always placed at the top of a replied message. We do this since years. When replying a mail, the original message text will be copied into (without that strange ">" sign in front of each line), our signatature placed above the original text, and the cursor for typing the new answer on top. No problem with other guys. </p>

[quote user="Melissa2011B"][quote user="Brian Fluet"]

+1 to Glossary entries. 

[/quote]

Thanks guys. I not only wanted it automatic, but the glossary appears to be for adding things like umlauts to words. Confusing, but not automatic, so... 

[/quote]

Nope, the Glossary usage goes far beyond that. Anyway, as already mentioned by Joerg, I too have some difficulty to understand what you want to achieve, so, why not give us a practical example of what you want and we'll try to give you suggestions?

[quote user="Melissa2011B"][quote user="Brian Fluet"]<p>+1 to Glossary entries.  </p><p>They're not automatic but are very flexible and can be inserted wherever you want with just a few keystrokes. </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Thanks guys. I not only wanted it automatic, but the glossary appears to be for adding things like umlauts to words. Confusing, but not automatic, so... </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Nope, the Glossary usage goes far beyond that. Anyway, as already mentioned by Joerg, I too have some difficulty to understand what you want to achieve, so, why not give us a practical example of what you want and we'll try to give you suggestions? </p>

-- Euler

I think I have it worked out. When I reply now, I get:

My reply follows your > quoted text: 

On 21 Feb 2020 at 8:18, Pegasus Mail & Mercury - Automated Email wrote 

Does that explain adequately?

Thanks!

<p>I think I have it worked out. When I reply now, I get:</p><p> </p><p>My reply follows your > quoted text: </p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">On 21 Feb 2020 at 8:18, Pegasus Mail & Mercury - Automated Email wrote</span><span style="font-size: 10pt;"> </span></p><p> </p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Does that explain adequately?</span></p><p> Thanks!</p><p> </p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;"> </span></p>

[quote]My reply follows your > quoted text: 

On 21 Feb 2020 at 8:18, Pegasus Mail & Mercury - Automated Email wrote[/quote]

If the detached text is what you want, then yes. Glad you make it.

[quote]My reply follows your > quoted text: <p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">On 21 Feb 2020 at 8:18, Pegasus Mail & Mercury - Automated Email wrote</span><span style="font-size: 10pt;"></span>[/quote]</p><p>If the detached text is what you want, then yes. Glad you make it. </p>

-- Euler

live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft