Community Discussions and Support
fsynonym.exe vs fsynonym2.exe

Receiving an email addressed to email1@domian.com, an alias sends it to a particular user - user1.  If it's for another user, user1 will manually forward it to them.

Receiving an email addressed to email1@domian.com, an alias sends it to a particular user - user1.  If it's for another user, user1 will manually forward it to them.

Hi

I understand that fsynonym.exe is a 16-bit application which 64-bit systems have no interest in running, and fsynonym2.exe is 32-bit and happy run on modern computers.  The problem I have, is that the synonym.txt file I used with fsynonym.exe had single email addresses for multiple users like this:

email1@domain.com == user1 

email1@domain.com == user2 

email2@domain.com == user3

email2@domain.com == user4 

If I run fsynonym2.exe with the same synonym.txt file I get this error: 

Warning: cannot map synonym 'email1@domain.com' to multiple users.

Is this new limitation a design feature or a bug?  Do I have to dig up a 32-bit system to run fsynonym.exe when I need to modify my synonym.mer file?  Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Stuzz 

<p>Hi</p><p>I understand that fsynonym.exe is a 16-bit application which 64-bit systems have no interest in running, and fsynonym2.exe is 32-bit and happy run on modern computers.  The problem I have, is that the synonym.txt file I used with fsynonym.exe had single email addresses for multiple users like this:</p><p>email1@domain.com == user1<span style="font-size: 10pt;"> </span></p><p><span style="font-size: 13.3333px;">email1@domain.com == user2</span> </p><p>email2@domain.com == user3</p><p>email2@domain.com == user4 </p><p> </p><p>If I run fsynonym2.exe with the same synonym.txt file I get this error: </p><p>Warning: cannot map synonym 'email1@domain.com' to multiple users.</p><p> </p><p>Is this new limitation a design feature or a bug?  Do I have to dig up a 32-bit system to run fsynonym.exe when I need to modify my synonym.mer file?  Any other suggestions?</p><p> </p><p>Thanks</p><p>Stuzz </p>

I remember that we had problems with our synonym.exe when we upgraded from our old server to our current Windows Server 2016, where Mercury and Pegasus reside. But we are still using a 32bit fsynonym.exe on our 64bit system, but no fsynonym2.exe. I could provide you with our fsynonym.exe if you give me an e-mail address.

Further, I don't know whether it is possible in general to assign different local users to one e-mail address by using the synonym.mer file. I would prefer using a filter which is copying all messages adressed to user1 additionally to user2.

Maybe Brian is able to give some more hints, since I know is is using the synonym.mer file as well.

<p>I remember that we had problems with our synonym.exe when we upgraded from our old server to our current Windows Server 2016, where Mercury and Pegasus reside. But we are still using a 32bit fsynonym.exe on our 64bit system, but no fsynonym2.exe. I could provide you with our fsynonym.exe if you give me an e-mail address.</p><p>Further, I don't know whether it is possible in general to assign different local users to one e-mail address by using the synonym.mer file. I would prefer using a filter which is copying all messages adressed to user1 additionally to user2.</p><p>Maybe Brian is able to give some more hints, since I know is is using the synonym.mer file as well. </p>

No problem here with running fsynonym.exe on a Win10 64-bit OS.

As for mapping a synonym to multiple users, I don't think it could work based on how I understand the function of the synonym.mer file.  I use filters as Joerg mentioned.

<p>No problem here with running fsynonym.exe on a Win10 64-bit OS.</p><p>As for mapping a synonym to multiple users, I don't think it could work based on how I understand the function of the synonym.mer file.  I use filters as Joerg mentioned. </p>

Thanks for your input.

As mentioned, someway, somehow I only had a 16-bit fsynonym.exe program in my Mercury installation folder.  Y'all mentioning a 32-bit version fixed everything.  I found the file within the Mercury installation file I had lying around, and it works without issue.

As for the usage, my purpose for using the synonym.mer database is to format the from header on outgoing messages.  Per my above example, when both user1 and user2 send emails, the from header reads: User1 <email1@domain.com> and User2 <email1@domain.com> etc.  To be honest I don't even remember how this is set up, but it works, and those that wanted it to work that way are happy.

&lt;p&gt;Thanks for your input.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;As mentioned, someway, somehow I only had a 16-bit fsynonym.exe program in my Mercury installation folder.&amp;nbsp; Y&#039;all mentioning a 32-bit version fixed everything.&amp;nbsp; I found the file within the Mercury installation file I had lying around, and it works without issue.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;As for the usage, my purpose for using the synonym.mer database is to format the from header on outgoing messages.&amp;nbsp; Per my above example, when both user1 and user2 send emails, the from header reads: User1 &amp;lt;email1@domain.com&amp;gt; and User2 &amp;lt;email1@domain.com&amp;gt; etc.&amp;nbsp; To be honest I don&#039;t even remember how this is set up, but it works, and those that wanted it to work that way are happy.&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="stuzz78"]Per my above example, when both user1 and user2 send emails, the from header reads: User1 <email1@domain.com> and User2 <email1@domain.com> etc.  To be honest I don't even remember how this is set up, but it works, and those that wanted it to work that way are happy.[/quote]

I'm curious, what happens in the opposite way, when you receive e-mails, addressed to email1@domain.com? Normally you retrieve it by MercuryD where only one local user (e.g. User1) could be assigned to. And if you don't have additional Aliases or Filter rules in place, User2 will not receive the mail. Is it your intention? Or works the synonym.mer file also in this way, that Mercury is providing such mails to both local users?

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;stuzz78&quot;]&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;Per my above example, when both user1 and user2 send emails, the from header reads: User1 &amp;lt;email1@domain.com&amp;gt; and User2 &amp;lt;email1@domain.com&amp;gt; etc.&amp;nbsp; To be honest I don&#039;t even remember how this is set up, but it works, and those that wanted it to work that way are happy.&lt;/span&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I&#039;m curious, what happens in the opposite way, when you receive e-mails, addressed to email1@domain.com? Normally you retrieve it by MercuryD where only one local user (e.g. User1) could be assigned to. And if you don&#039;t have additional Aliases or Filter rules in place, User2 will not receive the mail. Is it your intention? Or works the synonym.mer file also in this way, that Mercury is providing such mails to both local users? &lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft