Community Discussions and Support
How to set the default window for incoming IMAP mail?

[quote user="Aimo Maileri"]The question: How do I send internal messages in a Windows LAN with Pegasus (no Mercury installed)?[/quote]

The short answer, and easiest way (IMHO):

Install Pegasus Mail as multi-user on one machine.  All other machines then run that installation as the appropriate user.  You would send internal messages by addressing the message to the username (no domain part).  Pegasus mail will recognize it as an internal user and deliver it to that mailbox.

An alternate is to have a Pegasus Mail installation on every machine with all mailboxes directories in the same location on the LAN.  The Pegasus Mail installations would be configured to know where the mailbox directories are and would look to that directory for internal user information (file named PMAIL.USR).

The benefit to the first option is that only one instance of Pegasus Mail needs to be maintained.

I think a new discussion would be appropriate if you wish to pursue this further.  This is not difficult but there are numerous aspects that make it a little complicated until the complete picture comes into focus.

Finally, I have a Network Administrators Guide, DOS and Windows Versions (circa 1998) that could be helpful.  It's old, and it's heavy on Netware specifics, but the DOS and Windows content remain of value.  I don't know of a download source so am happy to email you a copy.  Send me a PM with your email address if interested.

<p>[quote user="Aimo Maileri"]The question: How do I send internal messages in a Windows LAN with Pegasus (no Mercury installed)?[/quote]</p><p>The short answer, and easiest way (IMHO):</p><p>Install Pegasus Mail as multi-user on one machine.  All other machines then run that installation as the appropriate user.  You would send internal messages by addressing the message to the username (no domain part).  Pegasus mail will recognize it as an internal user and deliver it to that mailbox.</p><p>An alternate is to have a Pegasus Mail installation on every machine with all mailboxes directories in the same location on the LAN.  The Pegasus Mail installations would be configured to know where the mailbox directories are and would look to that directory for internal user information (file named PMAIL.USR).</p><p>The benefit to the first option is that only one instance of Pegasus Mail needs to be maintained.</p><p>I think a new discussion would be appropriate if you wish to pursue this further.  This is not difficult but there are numerous aspects that make it a little complicated until the complete picture comes into focus.</p><p>Finally, I have a <i>Network Administrators Guide, DOS and Windows Versions</i> (circa 1998) that could be helpful.  It's old, and it's heavy on Netware specifics, but the DOS and Windows content remain of value.  I don't know of a download source so am happy to email you a copy.  Send me a PM with your email address if interested. </p>

Hello,

First, thank you for an excellent piece of software!

I have 2 incoming folders:
- one for POP, the default "New mail folder", which is no longer used at all and whose incoming account has been deleted, so it's always empty
and another
- one for IMAP, "New or unread mail (INBOX)", which is the active incoming folder and receives all incoming mail.

The problem: When I open Pegasus, the always empty POP "New mail folder" -window is always opened as the default window, so in order to get into the active incoming folder, I have to first scroll down the folder list (I have a long one) and then click open the IMAP "New or unread mail (INBOX)" open to be able to see and handle the received messages.

How can I set the IMAP window to be opened automatically by default, and not open the POP window at all?

I have already checked "ON" the defaults of the IMAP account "Always connect to this profile when Pegasus Mail starts up" and Make this definition's INBOX folder the default new mail folder", but this does not make the IMAP incoming window active.

Should I delete the "New mail" folder from under the "My mailbox" root? Or what?

best regards

Aimo Maileri

Hello, First, thank you for an excellent piece of software! I have 2 incoming folders: - one for POP, the default "New mail folder", which is no longer used at all and whose incoming account has been deleted, so it's always empty and another - one for IMAP, "New or unread mail (INBOX)", which is the active incoming folder and receives all incoming mail. The problem: When I open Pegasus, the always empty POP "New mail folder" -window is always opened as the default window, so in order to get into the active incoming folder, I have to first scroll down the folder list (I have a long one) and then click open the IMAP "New or unread mail (INBOX)" open to be able to see and handle the received messages. How can I set the IMAP window to be opened automatically by default, and not open the POP window at all? I have already checked "ON" the defaults of the IMAP account "Always connect to this profile when Pegasus Mail starts up" and Make this definition's INBOX folder the default new mail folder", but this does not make the IMAP incoming window active. Should I delete the "New mail" folder from under the "My mailbox" root? Or what? best regards Aimo Maileri

My default setup is POP3 but I use IMAP for other tasks. Though I don't use it as intensively as you it might be just a matter of a setting. The one on the screenshot below comes to mind.

My default setup is POP3 but I use IMAP for other tasks. Though I don't use it as intensively as you it might be just a matter of a setting. The one on the screenshot below comes to mind.

-- Euler

Pegasus Mail 4.81.1154 Windows 7 Ultimate
IERenderer: 2.7.1.5 AttachMenu: 1.0.1.2
PMDebug: 2.5.8.34 BearHTML 4.9.9.6

After testing every configuration I can think of I have been unable to get an IMAP new mail folder to open on startup.  The easiest way I could find was to use Crtl+W which works when the IMAP new mail folder is set as the default per the previous post by Euler.

Aimo,There isn't any way to delete the New mail folder in My mailbox.  It is not a "folder" like the others are.  It is a method by which Pegasus Mail lists any downloaded message files that have not been moved to another folder.  This functionality assumes POP3 and I don't know of a way to disable that. 

<p>After testing every configuration I can think of I have been unable to get an IMAP new mail folder to open on startup.  The easiest way I could find was to use Crtl+W which works when the IMAP new mail folder is set as the default per the previous post by Euler.</p><p>Aimo,There isn't any way to delete the New mail folder in My mailbox.  It is not a "folder" like the others are.  It is a method by which Pegasus Mail lists any downloaded message files that have not been moved to another folder.  This functionality assumes POP3 and I don't know of a way to disable that.  </p>

[quote user="Brian Fluet"]

Aimo,There isn't any way to delete the New mail folder in My mailbox.  It is not a "folder" like the others are.  It is a method by which Pegasus Mail lists any downloaded message files that have not been moved to another folder.  This functionality assumes POP3 and I don't know of a way to disable that. 

[/quote]

Well indeed. Also we use to forget that Pegasus Mail is a mail system, not only a mail client. In a LAN it is able per se to handle internal messages from different workstations. These messages must arrive on NMF. Despite one's choice to use IMAP it is good police to keep NMF filtering rules active. By doing so, if you need a copy of an IMAP message, all you need is to copy it to NMF and it will properly handled by your rules.

[quote user="Brian Fluet"]<p>Aimo,There isn't any way to delete the New mail folder in My mailbox.  It is not a "folder" like the others are.  It is a method by which Pegasus Mail lists any downloaded message files that have not been moved to another folder.  This functionality assumes POP3 and I don't know of a way to disable that.  </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Well indeed. Also we use to forget that Pegasus Mail is a mail system, not only a mail client. In a LAN it is able per se to handle internal messages from different workstations. These messages must arrive on NMF. Despite one's choice to use IMAP it is good police to keep NMF filtering rules active. By doing so, if you need a copy of an IMAP message, all you need is to copy it to NMF and it will properly handled by your rules. </p>

-- Euler

Thank you all!

@Euler: I had all the appropriate checkboxes checked, as I mentioned in my initial message. They don't help with this problem.

@Brian: I have now learned to use Control-W as the shortcut to the incoming IMAP window.

Now, it's not a big problem, that the default POP window opens first, and it could actually be used for showing internal messages, like Euler suggested. The question: How do I send internal messages in a Windows LAN with Pegasus (no Mercury installed)?

Aimo

<p>Thank you all! </p><p>@Euler: I had all the appropriate checkboxes checked, as I mentioned in my initial message. They don't help with this problem.</p><p>@Brian: I have now learned to use Control-W as the shortcut to the incoming IMAP window.</p><p>Now, it's not a big problem, that the default POP window opens first, and it could actually be used for showing internal messages, like Euler suggested. The question: How do I send internal messages in a Windows LAN with Pegasus (no Mercury installed)? </p><p> Aimo</p>

[quote user="Aimo Maileri"]

Thank you all!

@Euler: I had all the appropriate checkboxes checked, as I mentioned in my initial message. They don't help with this problem.

@Brian: I have now learned to use Control-W as the shortcut to the incoming IMAP window.

Now, it's not a big problem, that the default POP window opens first, and it could actually be used for showing internal messages, like Euler suggested. The question: How do I send internal messages in a Windows LAN with Pegasus (no Mercury installed)?

Aimo

[/quote]

You're most welcome, Aimo.

As long you have the users listed in PMAIL.USR (Addresses > User management), all you need is to place their Username (one or more) in the To: field and the message will go to their mailbox. In fact, Pegasus Mail will build the email (as it normally does) and save it to user's mailbox. No SMTP action is involved but the message is a full blown email. IOW you don't need the internet to forward a message to a son or daughter if they are in your home LAN and use Pmail, of course.

[quote user="Aimo Maileri"]<p>Thank you all! </p><p>@Euler: I had all the appropriate checkboxes checked, as I mentioned in my initial message. They don't help with this problem.</p><p>@Brian: I have now learned to use Control-W as the shortcut to the incoming IMAP window.</p><p>Now, it's not a big problem, that the default POP window opens first, and it could actually be used for showing internal messages, like Euler suggested. The question: How do I send internal messages in a Windows LAN with Pegasus (no Mercury installed)? </p><p> Aimo</p><p>[/quote]</p><p>You're most welcome, Aimo.</p><p>As long you have the users listed in PMAIL.USR (Addresses > User management), all you need is to place their Username (one or more) in the To: field and the message will go to their mailbox. In fact, Pegasus Mail will build the email (as it normally does) and save it to user's mailbox. No SMTP action is involved but the message is a full blown email. IOW you don't need the internet to forward a message to a son or daughter if they are in your home LAN and use Pmail, of course. </p>

-- Euler

live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft