Community Discussions and Support
POP3 Client : Leave copy of message on Server

Why VPN?

Just forward a (non-standard if you like) port to your merc at home and have your work or mobile client get it from there rather than your ISP.

POP3 or IMAP, whatever blows your hair back.

(I have assumed an always on connection & static ip or dyndns since you mentioned VPN-ing in [:)])

<p>Why VPN?</p><p>Just forward a (non-standard if you like) port to your merc at home and have your work or mobile client get it from there rather than your ISP.</p><p>POP3 or IMAP, whatever blows your hair back.</p><p>(I have assumed an always on connection & static ip or dyndns since you mentioned VPN-ing in [:)])</p>

Hi,

I am using Mercury POP3 Client to get e-mails from my ISP and using Mercury POP3 Server to allow distribution to my home PCs. All is working well.

However, I would like to leave a copy of the e-mail on my ISP POP3 server (The Mercury POP3 client removes them) but I cannot find an option to do this. Is this possible?

<P>Hi,</P> <P>   I am using Mercury POP3 Client to get e-mails from my ISP and using Mercury POP3 Server to allow distribution to my home PCs. All is working well.</P> <P> However, I would like to leave a copy of the e-mail on my ISP POP3 server (The Mercury POP3 client removes them) but I cannot find an option to do this. Is this possible?</P>

[quote user="bluefoxtoo"]

Hi,

I am using Mercury POP3 Client to get e-mails from my ISP and using Mercury POP3 Server to allow distribution to my home PCs. All is working well.

However, I would like to leave a copy of the e-mail on my ISP POP3 server (The Mercury POP3 client removes them) but I cannot find an option to do this. Is this possible?

[/quote]

No option to do this.  Mercury/32 is a server and not a POP3 client.  When you point at a POP3 account it gets everything.  Adding the POP3 client ability to only download unread mail would slow down the system significantly and add a number of possible failure points.

What you can do is forward the mail as received off to another POP3 account like GMail and/or Yahoo and then work the copy from there.   

[quote user="bluefoxtoo"]<p>Hi,</p> <p>   I am using Mercury POP3 Client to get e-mails from my ISP and using Mercury POP3 Server to allow distribution to my home PCs. All is working well.</p> <p> However, I would like to leave a copy of the e-mail on my ISP POP3 server (The Mercury POP3 client removes them) but I cannot find an option to do this. Is this possible?</p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>No option to do this.  Mercury/32 is a server and not a POP3 client.  When you point at a POP3 account it gets everything.  Adding the POP3 client ability to only download unread mail would slow down the system significantly and add a number of possible failure points.</p><p>What you can do is forward the mail as received off to another POP3 account like GMail and/or Yahoo and then work the copy from there.   </p><p> </p>

Ah, that's a shame. I have found the POP3 client protocol in combination with the POP Server a useful combination to aggregate my e-mails, so that my PCs at home don't all need access to my ISP POP3 server...apart from wanting the Mercury POP Client to be able to leave a copy on my ISP POP3 original server (so that I can still access my e-mail when not on my home network).

Thanks for the clarification...Mercury seems a great tool...but maybe not quite for my situation!

Cheers!

<P>Ah, that's a shame. I have found the POP3 client protocol in combination with the POP Server a useful combination to aggregate my e-mails, so that my PCs at home don't all need access to my ISP POP3 server...apart from wanting the Mercury POP Client to be able to leave a copy on my ISP POP3 original server (so that I can still access my e-mail when not on my home network).</P> <P> Thanks for the clarification...Mercury seems a great tool...but maybe not quite for my situation!</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P>Cheers!</P>

Indeed it is a big shame.  I am in exactly the same situation as BlueFox and want to use Mercury as a central server at home using IMAP so that I don't have a copy of every e-mail on every home PC and so I can manage e-mail folders between PCs.

However, home is not the only place I will want to get my e-mails, work being one obvious alternative or I might want to pick them up on my PDA when out and about.  It is no good my work PC checking my POP3 mailbox at my ISP if Mercury has got there first and cleaned them out and I don't want to have to vpn into my home network just to check my e-mails if I'm out!

Any chance this can be provided as an option for people like us?  It's the one thing that stops Mercury from being perfect for what I need but it is critical and will unfortunately stop me using it

Many thanks

<P>Indeed it is a big shame.  I am in exactly the same situation as BlueFox and want to use Mercury as a central server at home using IMAP so that I don't have a copy of every e-mail on every home PC and so I can manage e-mail folders between PCs.</P> <P>However, home is not the only place I will want to get my e-mails, work being one obvious alternative or I might want to pick them up on my PDA when out and about.  It is no good my work PC checking my POP3 mailbox at my ISP if Mercury has got there first and cleaned them out and I don't want to have to vpn into my home network just to check my e-mails if I'm out!</P> <P> Any chance this can be provided as an option for people like us?  It's the one thing that stops Mercury from being perfect for what I need but it is critical and will unfortunately stop me using it </P> <P> Many thanks</P>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft