Community Discussions and Support
SMTP server response: 553 We do not relay non-local mail, sorry

What is the advantage of receiving mail via SMTP versus POP3?
POP3 is a single user protocol.  With a single user it's no big deal how the mail is received but when trying to manage multiple users in a single POP3 mailbox the difference is huge.  Mail is delivered  using the SMTP headers and so it does not make any difference at all what is in the body of the RFC 2822 message.  You also have the ability to use SMTP blacklists and graywalling to block the spam at the server rather than having to download and process the mail. 
<blockquote>What is the advantage of receiving mail via SMTP versus POP3? </blockquote>POP3 is a single user protocol.  With a single user it's no big deal how the mail is received but when trying to manage multiple users in a single POP3 mailbox the difference is huge.  Mail is delivered  using the SMTP headers and so it does not make any difference at all what is in the body of the RFC 2822 message.  You also have the ability to use SMTP blacklists and graywalling to block the spam at the server rather than having to download and process the mail. 

Hi, I'm using XAMPP on my server local so I have  Mercury  as SMTP  server.  When I try to send email from  php script the SMTP server response is: 553 We do not relay non-local mail, sorry.

Can you help me? tanks 

<p>Hi, I'm using XAMPP on my server local so I have  Mercury  as SMTP  server.  When I try to send email from  php script the SMTP server response is: 553 We do not relay non-local mail, sorry.</p><p>Can you help me? tanks </p>

[quote user="zenic"]

Hi, I'm using XAMPP on my server local so I have  Mercury  as SMTP  server.  When I try to send email from  php script the SMTP server response is: 553 We do not relay non-local mail, sorry.

Can you help me? tanks 

[/quote]

Go to Configuration | MercuryS |  Connection control and enter a username and password in the ESMTP AUTH file that has been setup.  You can then use that ESMTP authorization in your script.

David Harris has implemented ESMTP AUTH CRAM-MD5 for WinPMail, Mercury and Mercury/32.  They do a SMTP authentication in accordance with RFCs 2554 and 2195.  Mercury and Mercury/32 also do the LOGIN and the strange MS AUTH=LOGIN.  Here's a bit of code used by SquirrelMail to do the ESMTP auth.

function cram_md5_response ($username,$password,$challenge) {
    $challenge=base64_decode($challenge);
    $hash=bin2hex(hmac_md5($challenge,$password));
    $response=base64_encode($username . " " . $hash) . "\r\n";
    return $response;

[quote user="zenic"]<p>Hi, I'm using XAMPP on my server local so I have  Mercury  as SMTP  server.  When I try to send email from  php script the SMTP server response is: 553 We do not relay non-local mail, sorry.</p><p>Can you help me? tanks </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>Go to Configuration | MercuryS |  Connection control and enter a username and password in the ESMTP AUTH file that has been setup.  You can then use that ESMTP authorization in your script.</p><p>David Harris has implemented ESMTP AUTH CRAM-MD5 for WinPMail, Mercury and Mercury/32.  They do a SMTP authentication in accordance with RFCs 2554 and 2195.  Mercury and Mercury/32 also do the LOGIN and the strange MS AUTH=LOGIN.  Here's a bit of code used by SquirrelMail to do the ESMTP auth.</p><p>function cram_md5_response ($username,$password,$challenge) {     $challenge=base64_decode($challenge);     $hash=bin2hex(hmac_md5($challenge,$password));     $response=base64_encode($username . " " . $hash) . "\r\n";     return $response; </p><p> </p>

Tank you!!!! Now Mercury is ok...bat i must fight with PHP...

code is:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

<?php
    $y=mail("enzonicolino@alice.it", "oggetto", "messaggio");
    if($y){
    echo "<h3>Il messaggio e' stato inviato!</h3><p>Riceverai una risposta il prima possibile!</p>";
    }
?>

and in php.ini :

[mail function]
; For Win32 only.
SMTP =localhost       
smtp_port = 25

; For Win32 only.
sendmail_from = postmaster@localhost.com

Mercury core process say:

from postmaster@localhost.com<local> to Admin <local> and not to enzonicolino@alice.it

the response of mail() function is true but...on remote alice server don't receive mail...

I don't know if you can help me too but tank you of heart.[*-)]

&lt;div class=&quot;ForumPostBodyArea&quot;&gt; &lt;div id=&quot;ctl00_ctl01_bcr_ctl00___PostRepeater_ctl03_PostViewWrapper&quot; class=&quot;ForumPostContentText&quot;&gt; &lt;p&gt;Tank you!!!! Now Mercury is ok...bat i must fight with PHP...&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;code is:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;------------------------------------------------------------------------------&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; &amp;lt;?php &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; $y=mail(&quot;enzonicolino@alice.it&quot;, &quot;oggetto&quot;, &quot;messaggio&quot;); &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; if($y){ &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; echo &quot;&amp;lt;h3&amp;gt;Il messaggio e&#039; stato inviato!&amp;lt;/h3&amp;gt;&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;Riceverai una risposta il prima possibile!&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;&quot;; &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; } ?&amp;gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;------------------------------------------------------------------------------ &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;and in php.ini :&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;------------------------------------------------------------------------------ &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[mail function] ; For Win32 only. SMTP =localhost&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; smtp_port = 25 ; For Win32 only. sendmail_from = postmaster@localhost.com&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;------------------------------------------------------------------------------&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Mercury core process say:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;from postmaster@localhost.com&amp;lt;local&amp;gt; to Admin &amp;lt;local&amp;gt; and not to enzonicolino@alice.it&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;the response of mail() function is true but...on remote alice server don&#039;t receive mail...&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I don&#039;t know if you can help me too but tank you of heart.[*-)] &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt; &lt;/div&gt; &lt;/div&gt;

[quote user="zenic"]

Tank you!!!! Now Mercury is ok...bat i must fight with PHP...

code is:

<?php
    $y=mail("enzonicolino@alice.it", "oggetto", "messaggio");
    if($y){
    echo "<h3>Il messaggio e' stato inviato!</h3><p>Riceverai una risposta il prima possibile!</p>";
    }
?>

and in php.ini :

[mail function]
; For Win32 only.
SMTP =localhost       
smtp_port = 25

; For Win32 only.
sendmail_from = postmaster@localhost.com

Mercury core process say:

from postmaster@localhost.com<local> to Admin <local> and not to enzonicolino@alice.it

the response of mail() function is true but...on remote alice server don't receive mail...

I don't know if you can help me too but tank you of heart.[*-)]

[/quote]

I do not know anything about PHP code, but turn on session logging in MercuryS and then send your message via PHP again.  You might want to post the results to this list for analysis.

[quote user=&quot;zenic&quot;]&lt;div class=&quot;ForumPostBodyArea&quot;&gt; &lt;div id=&quot;ctl00_ctl01_bcr_ctl00___PostRepeater_ctl03_PostViewWrapper&quot; class=&quot;ForumPostContentText&quot;&gt; &lt;p&gt;Tank you!!!! Now Mercury is ok...bat i must fight with PHP...&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;code is:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;------------------------------------------------------------------------------&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; &amp;lt;?php &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; $y=mail(&quot;enzonicolino@alice.it&quot;, &quot;oggetto&quot;, &quot;messaggio&quot;); &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; if($y){ &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; echo &quot;&amp;lt;h3&amp;gt;Il messaggio e&#039; stato inviato!&amp;lt;/h3&amp;gt;&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;Riceverai una risposta il prima possibile!&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;&quot;; &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; } ?&amp;gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;------------------------------------------------------------------------------ &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;and in php.ini :&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;------------------------------------------------------------------------------ &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[mail function] ; For Win32 only. SMTP =localhost&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; smtp_port = 25 ; For Win32 only. sendmail_from = postmaster@localhost.com&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;------------------------------------------------------------------------------&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Mercury core process say:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;from postmaster@localhost.com&amp;lt;local&amp;gt; to Admin &amp;lt;local&amp;gt; and not to enzonicolino@alice.it&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;the response of mail() function is true but...on remote alice server don&#039;t receive mail...&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I don&#039;t know if you can help me too but tank you of heart.[*-)] &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt; &lt;/div&gt; &lt;/div&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I do not know anything about PHP code, but turn on session logging in MercuryS and then send your message via PHP again.&amp;nbsp; You might want to post the results to this list for analysis.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

When send message via PHP I have:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------Session logging----------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
05:16:26.515: Connection from 127.0.0.1, Sun Sep 16 05:16:26 2007<lf>
05:16:26.515: << 220 localhost ESMTP server ready.<cr><lf>
05:16:26.515: >> HELO southtec<cr><lf>
05:16:26.531: << 250 localhost Hello, southtec.<cr><lf>
05:16:26.531: >> MAIL FROM:<postmater@localhost.com><cr><lf>
05:16:27.578: << 250 Sender OK - send RCPTs.<cr><lf>
05:16:27.578: >> RCPT TO:<enzonicolino@alice.it><cr><lf>
05:16:27.578: << 250 Recipient OK - send RCPT or DATA.<cr><lf>
05:16:27.593: >> DATA<cr><lf>
05:16:27.593: << 354 OK, send data, end with CRLF.CRLF<cr><lf>
05:16:27.593: >> Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 05:16:27 +0200<cr><lf>
05:16:27.593: >> Subject: object<cr><lf>
05:16:27.593: >> To: enzonicolino@alice.it<cr><lf>
05:16:27.593: >> From: enzo <postmater@localhost.com><cr><lf>
05:16:27.593: >> <cr><lf>
05:16:27.609: >> Messaggio da: enzo (127.0.0.1)<lf>
05:16:27.609: >> Email: enzonicolino@alice.it<lf>
05:16:27.609: >> <lf>
05:16:27.609: >> ciao<cr><lf>
05:16:27.609: >> .<cr><lf>
05:16:27.609: << 250 Data received OK.<cr><lf>
05:16:27.609: >> QUIT<cr><lf>
05:16:27.609: << 221 localhost Service closing channel.<cr><lf>
05:16:27.703: --- Connection closed normally at Sun Sep 16 05:16:27 2007. ---
05:16:27.703:

--------------in  \xampp\MercuryMail\QUEUE\MO0007B5.QDF-----------------------
Received: from spooler by localhost (Mercury/32 v4.01b); 16 Sep 2007 05:16:52 +0200
To: Mail Delivery System <>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 05:16:41 +0200
Subject: Delivery failure notification
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: Multipart/Report; boundary=Part_Boundary-246746
Message-ID: <24928C2B5B@localhost>

--Part_Boundary-246746
Content-type: Text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-description: Mail delivery failure report
Content-disposition: Inline

With reference to your message with the subject:
   "Delivery failure notification"

The local mail transport system has reported the following problems
it encountered while trying to deliver your message:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
*** <postmater@localhost.com>
User <postmater@localhost.com> not known at this site.

Your mail message is being returned to you in the next part of this
message.

Should you need assistance, please mail postmaster@localhost.

--Part_Boundary-246746
Content-type: Message/RFC822
Content-description: Contents of original mail message

--------------in  \xampp\MercuryMail\MAIL\Admin\YE4ADFL8.CNM---------------

Received: from spooler by localhost (Mercury/32 v4.01b); 16 Sep 2007 05:16:52 +0200
X-Envelope-To: Electronic Postmaster <Admin@localhost>
To: Electronic Postmaster <Admin@localhost>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 05:16:41 +0200
Subject: Postmaster Notify: Delivery Failure.
Content-type: multipart/mixed; boundary=28723.2385718

This message is in MIME format. If you are seeing this text,
then your mailer does not understand this format properly.

Content-type: Text/Plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Disposition: Inline
Content-Description: Reason for delivery failure.

The attached message has failed delivery and has been referred
to you as postmaster. The following error report or reports
were given to explain the problem:

*** <postmater@localhost.com>
   User <postmater@localhost.com> not known at this site.

To: <postmater@localhost.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 05:16:30 +0200
Subject: Delivery failure notification
Content-Type: Multipart/Report; boundary=Part_Boundary-243BF0

--Part_Boundary-243BF0
Content-type: Text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-description: Mail delivery failure report
Content-disposition: Inline

With reference to your message with the subject:
   "object"

The local mail transport system has reported the following problems
it encountered while trying to deliver your message:

--- Problems not related to specific addresses in the message:
Job has invalid or illegal from address.
*** <enzonicolino@alice.it>

Your mail message is being returned to you in the next part of this
message.

Should you need assistance, please mail postmaster@localhost.

--Part_Boundary-243BF0
Content-description: Contents of original mail message

Return-path: <postmater@localhost.com>
Received: from southtec (127.0.0.1) by localhost (Mercury/32 v4.01b) ID MG0007B0;
   16 Sep 2007 05:16:27 +0200
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 05:16:27 +0200
Subject: object
To: enzonicolino@alice.it

Messaggio da: enzo (127.0.0.1)
Email: enzonicolino@alice.it

ciao
ciao

--Part_Boundary-243BF0--

--28723.2385718--

--------------in  Mercury core Process---------------------------------------------------------
Job MG0007B3: from postmaster@localhost (local)
To: Admin (local) -OK
Job MG0007b4 from<> (local)
To: <> (non-local) (JOB MOooo7b5)- OK)

Tank you too..Teacher [Y] 

&lt;p&gt;When send message via PHP I have: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------Session logging---------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 05:16:26.515: Connection from 127.0.0.1, Sun Sep 16 05:16:26 2007&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 05:16:26.515: &amp;lt;&amp;lt; 220 localhost ESMTP server ready.&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 05:16:26.515: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; HELO southtec&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 05:16:26.531: &amp;lt;&amp;lt; 250 localhost Hello, southtec.&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 05:16:26.531: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; MAIL FROM:&amp;lt;postmater@localhost.com&amp;gt;&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 05:16:27.578: &amp;lt;&amp;lt; 250 Sender OK - send RCPTs.&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 05:16:27.578: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; RCPT TO:&amp;lt;enzonicolino@alice.it&amp;gt;&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 05:16:27.578: &amp;lt;&amp;lt; 250 Recipient OK - send RCPT or DATA.&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 05:16:27.593: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; DATA&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 05:16:27.593: &amp;lt;&amp;lt; 354 OK, send data, end with CRLF.CRLF&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 05:16:27.593: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 05:16:27 +0200&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 05:16:27.593: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; Subject: object&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 05:16:27.593: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; To: enzonicolino@alice.it&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 05:16:27.593: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; From: enzo &amp;lt;postmater@localhost.com&amp;gt;&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 05:16:27.593: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; &amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 05:16:27.609: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; Messaggio da: enzo (127.0.0.1)&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 05:16:27.609: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; Email: enzonicolino@alice.it&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 05:16:27.609: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; &amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 05:16:27.609: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; ciao&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 05:16:27.609: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; .&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 05:16:27.609: &amp;lt;&amp;lt; 250 Data received OK.&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 05:16:27.609: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; QUIT&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 05:16:27.609: &amp;lt;&amp;lt; 221 localhost Service closing channel.&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 05:16:27.703: --- Connection closed normally at Sun Sep 16 05:16:27 2007. --- 05:16:27.703: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------in&amp;nbsp; \xampp\MercuryMail\QUEUE\MO0007B5.QDF----------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Received: from spooler by localhost (Mercury/32 v4.01b); 16 Sep 2007 05:16:52 +0200 From: Mail Delivery System &amp;lt;postmaster@localhost&amp;gt; To: Mail Delivery System &amp;lt;&amp;gt; Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 05:16:41 +0200 Subject: Delivery failure notification MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: Multipart/Report; boundary=Part_Boundary-246746 Message-ID: &amp;lt;24928C2B5B@localhost&amp;gt; --Part_Boundary-246746 Content-type: Text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-description: Mail delivery failure report Content-disposition: Inline With reference to your message with the subject: &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &quot;Delivery failure notification&quot; The local mail transport system has reported the following problems it encountered while trying to deliver your message: ------------------------------------------------------------------- *** &amp;lt;postmater@localhost.com&amp;gt; User &amp;lt;postmater@localhost.com&amp;gt; not known at this site. ------------------------------------------------------------------- Your mail message is being returned to you in the next part of this message. Should you need assistance, please mail postmaster@localhost. --Part_Boundary-246746 Content-type: Message/RFC822 Content-description: Contents of original mail message ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------in&amp;nbsp; \xampp\MercuryMail\MAIL\Admin\YE4ADFL8.CNM--------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Received: from spooler by localhost (Mercury/32 v4.01b); 16 Sep 2007 05:16:52 +0200 X-Envelope-To: Electronic Postmaster &amp;lt;Admin@localhost&amp;gt; To: Electronic Postmaster &amp;lt;Admin@localhost&amp;gt; From: Electronic Postmaster &amp;lt;postmaster@localhost&amp;gt; Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 05:16:41 +0200 Subject: Postmaster Notify: Delivery Failure. MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-type: multipart/mixed; boundary=28723.2385718 This message is in MIME format. If you are seeing this text, then your mailer does not understand this format properly. --28723.2385718 Content-type: Text/Plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Description: Reason for delivery failure. The attached message has failed delivery and has been referred to you as postmaster. The following error report or reports were given to explain the problem: &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; *** &amp;lt;postmater@localhost.com&amp;gt; &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; User &amp;lt;postmater@localhost.com&amp;gt; not known at this site. --28723.2385718 Content-type: Message/RFC822 From: Mail Delivery System &amp;lt;postmaster@localhost&amp;gt; To: &amp;lt;postmater@localhost.com&amp;gt; Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 05:16:30 +0200 Subject: Delivery failure notification MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: Multipart/Report; boundary=Part_Boundary-243BF0 --Part_Boundary-243BF0 Content-type: Text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-description: Mail delivery failure report Content-disposition: Inline With reference to your message with the subject: &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &quot;object&quot; The local mail transport system has reported the following problems it encountered while trying to deliver your message: ------------------------------------------------------------------- --- Problems not related to specific addresses in the message: Job has invalid or illegal from address. *** &amp;lt;enzonicolino@alice.it&amp;gt; ------------------------------------------------------------------- Your mail message is being returned to you in the next part of this message. Should you need assistance, please mail postmaster@localhost. --Part_Boundary-243BF0 Content-type: Message/RFC822 Content-description: Contents of original mail message Return-path: &amp;lt;postmater@localhost.com&amp;gt; Received: from southtec (127.0.0.1) by localhost (Mercury/32 v4.01b) ID MG0007B0; &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; 16 Sep 2007 05:16:27 +0200 Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 05:16:27 +0200 Subject: object To: enzonicolino@alice.it From: enzo &amp;lt;postmater@localhost.com&amp;gt; Messaggio da: enzo (127.0.0.1) Email: enzonicolino@alice.it ciao ciao --Part_Boundary-243BF0-- --28723.2385718-- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------in&amp;nbsp; Mercury core Process--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Job MG0007B3: from postmaster@localhost (local) To: Admin (local) -OK Job MG0007b4 from&amp;lt;&amp;gt; (local) To: &amp;lt;&amp;gt; (non-local) (JOB MOooo7b5)- OK)&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Tank you too..Teacher [Y]&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Looks like the MAIL FROM: address is invalid.  The postmater@localhost.com address lokks like it does not match any username or domain.

&lt;p&gt;Looks like the MAIL FROM: address is invalid.&amp;nbsp; The postmater@localhost.com address lokks like it does not match any username or domain.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Thanks dear Thomas R. Stephenson

But how and where we can use bit of code used by SquirrelMail to do the ESMTP auth?

&lt;P&gt;Thanks dear &lt;STRONG&gt;Thomas R. Stephenson &lt;/STRONG&gt;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&lt;STRONG&gt;But how and where we can use &lt;/STRONG&gt;bit of code used by SquirrelMail to do the ESMTP auth?&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;&lt;STRONG&gt;&lt;/STRONG&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt;

[quote user="Bharat"]

Thanks dear Thomas R. Stephenson

But how and where we can use bit of code used by SquirrelMail to do the ESMTP auth?

[/quote]

I'm currently on a cruise ship and the access is bad, slow and expensive.  Send me a message to thomas@tstephenson.com and I'll try to help you offline.

[quote user=&quot;Bharat&quot;]&lt;p&gt;Thanks dear &lt;b&gt;Thomas R. Stephenson &lt;/b&gt;&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;&lt;b&gt;But how and where we can use &lt;/b&gt;bit of code used by SquirrelMail to do the ESMTP auth?&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;&lt;b&gt;&lt;/b&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I&#039;m currently on a cruise ship and the access is bad, slow and expensive.&amp;nbsp; Send me a message to thomas@tstephenson.com and I&#039;ll try to help you offline.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

i had the same prob as zenic and i was looking at the first post you rote to him and i tried it and it didnt work! and ideas?

this is the error it gave me:

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: SMTP server response: 553 We do not relay without RFC2554 authentication. in C:\xampp\htdocs\tom\feedback.php on line 123

&lt;p&gt;i had the same prob as zenic and i was looking at the first post you rote to him and i tried it and it didnt work! and ideas?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;this is the error it gave me:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;b&gt;Warning&lt;/b&gt;: mail() [&lt;a href=&quot;http://localhost/tom/function.mail&quot;&gt;function.mail&lt;/a&gt;]: SMTP server response: 553 We do not relay without RFC2554 authentication. in &lt;b&gt;C:\xampp\htdocs\tom\feedback.php&lt;/b&gt; on line &lt;b&gt;123&lt;/b&gt; &lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="poopoo321"]

i had the same prob as zenic and i was looking at the first post you rote to him and i tried it and it didnt work! and ideas?

this is the error it gave me:

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: SMTP server response: 553 We do not relay without RFC2554 authentication. in C:\xampp\htdocs\tom\feedback.php on line 123

[/quote]

You need to provide a MercuryS session log to find out what is happening.  If it is the ESMTP authorization problem then you will have to change your PHP application to use ESMTP authorization or turn off the anti-relay. You can turn off anti-relay setup in Configuration | MercuryS | Connection control as long as there is no access to MercuryS  from the internet that the spammers can use to send mail through your server.

Mercury supports an Internet standard called Authenticated SMTP: when this feature is enabled, Mercury will advertise to connecting clients that it can accept SMTP authentication. If a client then authenticates correctly, it will be allowed to relay. Pegasus Mail and other widely-used Internet mail clients support authenticated SMTP, and it is an excellent way of allowing your roving users to use your server without opening yourself to relay abuse. Mercury supports three Authentication methods - CRAM-MD5, PLAIN and LOGIN, although LOGIN and PLAIN are very weak and you should avoid clients that use them.

Authenticated SMTP requires that both the client and server have access to a common password. For that reason, you need to provide Mercury with a list of usernames and the passwords that correspond to them - Mercury typically cannot get this information from the operating system for security reasons. Enter the name of the file where Mercury should store the user/password combinations, then click the Edit button to edit it. Each line contains one username/password pair.

Important note:  There is nothing that requires you to have a different SMTP Authentication password for every user on your system, nor is there anything that says that your SMTP Authentication username has to match any real user on your system. If you wish, it is perfectly permissible for you to set up a single AUTH username/password pair and provide it to all your users, although clearly this will have some ramifications for security.

If you check the control marked Authenticated SMTP connections may relay mail, then any authenticated connection (one where the user has provided any valid username/password pair defined in your SMTP Authentication file) will be permitted to relay messages even if it would otherwise have been prevented from doing so by either the normal or strict relaying tests (see above).

[quote user=&quot;poopoo321&quot;]&lt;p&gt;i had the same prob as zenic and i was looking at the first post you rote to him and i tried it and it didnt work! and ideas?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;this is the error it gave me:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;b&gt;Warning&lt;/b&gt;: mail() [&lt;a href=&quot;http://localhost/tom/function.mail&quot; mce_href=&quot;http://localhost/tom/function.mail&quot;&gt;function.mail&lt;/a&gt;]: SMTP server response: 553 We do not relay without RFC2554 authentication. in &lt;b&gt;C:\xampp\htdocs\tom\feedback.php&lt;/b&gt; on line &lt;b&gt;123&lt;/b&gt; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;You need to provide a MercuryS session log to find out what is happening.&amp;nbsp; If it is the ESMTP authorization problem then you will have to change your PHP application to use ESMTP authorization or turn off the anti-relay. You can turn off anti-relay setup in Configuration | MercuryS | Connection control as long as there is no access to MercuryS&amp;nbsp; from the internet that the spammers can use to send mail through your server.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;Mercury supports an Internet standard called Authenticated SMTP: when this feature is enabled, Mercury will advertise to connecting clients that it can accept SMTP authentication. If a client then authenticates correctly, it will be allowed to relay. Pegasus Mail and other widely-used Internet mail clients support authenticated SMTP, and it is an excellent way of allowing your roving users to use your server without opening yourself to relay abuse. Mercury supports three Authentication methods - CRAM-MD5, PLAIN and LOGIN, although LOGIN and PLAIN are very weak and you should avoid clients that use them. Authenticated SMTP requires that both the client and server have access to a common password. For that reason, you need to provide Mercury with a list of usernames and the passwords that correspond to them - Mercury typically cannot get this information from the operating system for security reasons. Enter the name of the file where Mercury should store the user/password combinations, then click the Edit button to edit it. Each line contains one username/password pair. Important note:&amp;nbsp; There is nothing that requires you to have a different SMTP Authentication password for every user on your system, nor is there anything that says that your SMTP Authentication username has to match any real user on your system. If you wish, it is perfectly permissible for you to set up a single AUTH username/password pair and provide it to all your users, although clearly this will have some ramifications for security. If you check the control marked Authenticated SMTP connections may relay mail, then any authenticated connection (one where the user has provided any valid username/password pair defined in your SMTP Authentication file) will be permitted to relay messages even if it would otherwise have been prevented from doing so by either the normal or strict relaying tests (see above).&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; &lt;/p&gt;

You will get the 553 error if the local domain section does not contain the domain and the To address is misspelled. If the domain is within the local domains and the user is mis-spelled, you'll get a user not known message back instead of the chryptic 553.

&lt;P&gt;You will get the 553 error if the local domain section does not contain the domain and the To address is misspelled. If the domain is within the local domains and the user is mis-spelled, you&#039;ll get a user not known message back instead of the chryptic 553.&lt;/P&gt;

Sorry, but after reading this thread, I am still confused...
I cannot send out mail; after installing Mercury/32 v4.62 and configuring my email client, I am getting two error messages:

I.  "Alert"
"An error occurred while sending mail.  The mail server responded: We do not relay non-local mail, sorry..  Please check the message recipients and try again."

and

II. "Send Message Error":
"Sending of message failed.
The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server localhost failed.  The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections.  Please verify that your SMTP server setting is correct and try again, or else contact your network administrator."

MercuryS Session Log

19:54:27.444: Connection from 127.0.0.1, Sun Oct 05 19:54:27 2008<lf>
19:54:27.444: << 220 [192.168.1.199] ESMTP server ready.<cr><lf>
19:54:27.464: >> EHLO [127.0.0.1]<cr><lf>
19:54:27.514: << 250-[192.168.1.199] Hello [127.0.0.1]; ESMTPs are:<cr><lf>250-TIME<cr><lf>
19:54:27.514: << 250-SIZE 0<cr><lf>
19:54:27.524: << 250 HELP<cr><lf>
19:54:27.524: >> MAIL FROM:<tronz@yandex.ru> SIZE=317<cr><lf>
19:54:27.574: << 250 Sender and size (317) OK - send RCPTs.<cr><lf>
19:54:28.604: >> RCPT TO:<tronz@yandex.ru><cr><lf>
19:54:28.654: << 553 We do not relay non-local mail, sorry.<cr><lf>
19:54:34.364: >> QUIT<cr><lf>
19:54:34.384: << 221 [192.168.1.199] Service closing channel.<cr><lf>
19:54:34.474: --- Connection closed normally at Sun Oct 05 19:54:34 2008. ---
19:54:34.484:

Also, just in case this info may help:

I am using Thunderbird 2.0.0.17 and the SMTP server settings for this account are:
Description: My SMTP Server  [=default server, but several other SMTP servers are also set up for other accounts]
Server Name: localhost
Port: 25
User Name: <not specified>
Secure Connection: None  [authentication and passwords are turned off]

I have a broadband connection and I am behind a firewall (m0n0wall).
I have only installed the Mercury SMTP component: S and E modules.
My ISP is blocking port 25.

In Mercury/32>Configuration>Mercury SMTP Server>Connection control - Relaying control>the box "Do not permit relaying of non-local mail" is checked.

Should I just uncheck it, or will doing that make my server vulnerable to exploitation?  If there are deeper addressing problems in my message or in the mail host how do I diagnose and fix them?

Sorry, but after reading this thread, I am still confused... I cannot send out mail; after installing Mercury/32 v4.62 and configuring my email client, I am getting two error messages: I.&amp;nbsp; &quot;Alert&quot; &quot;An error occurred while sending mail.&amp;nbsp; The mail server responded: We do not relay non-local mail, sorry..&amp;nbsp; Please check the message recipients and try again.&quot; and II. &quot;Send Message Error&quot;: &quot;Sending of message failed. The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server localhost failed.&amp;nbsp; The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections.&amp;nbsp; Please verify that your SMTP server setting is correct and try again, or else contact your network administrator.&quot; MercuryS Session Log 19:54:27.444: Connection from 127.0.0.1, Sun Oct 05 19:54:27 2008&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 19:54:27.444: &amp;lt;&amp;lt; 220 [192.168.1.199] ESMTP server ready.&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 19:54:27.464: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; EHLO [127.0.0.1]&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 19:54:27.514: &amp;lt;&amp;lt; 250-[192.168.1.199] Hello [127.0.0.1]; ESMTPs are:&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt;250-TIME&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 19:54:27.514: &amp;lt;&amp;lt; 250-SIZE 0&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 19:54:27.524: &amp;lt;&amp;lt; 250 HELP&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 19:54:27.524: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; MAIL FROM:&amp;lt;tronz@yandex.ru&amp;gt; SIZE=317&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 19:54:27.574: &amp;lt;&amp;lt; 250 Sender and size (317) OK - send RCPTs.&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 19:54:28.604: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; RCPT TO:&amp;lt;tronz@yandex.ru&amp;gt;&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 19:54:28.654: &amp;lt;&amp;lt; 553 We do not relay non-local mail, sorry.&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 19:54:34.364: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; QUIT&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 19:54:34.384: &amp;lt;&amp;lt; 221 [192.168.1.199] Service closing channel.&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 19:54:34.474: --- Connection closed normally at Sun Oct 05 19:54:34 2008. --- 19:54:34.484: Also, just in case this info may help: I am using Thunderbird 2.0.0.17 and the SMTP server settings for this account are: Description: My SMTP Server&amp;nbsp; [=default server, but several other SMTP servers are also set up for other accounts] Server Name: localhost Port: 25 User Name: &amp;lt;not specified&amp;gt; Secure Connection: None&amp;nbsp; [authentication and passwords are turned off] I have a broadband connection and I am behind a firewall (m0n0wall). I have only installed the Mercury SMTP component: S and E modules. My ISP is blocking port 25. In Mercury/32&amp;gt;Configuration&amp;gt;Mercury SMTP Server&amp;gt;Connection control - Relaying control&amp;gt;the box &quot;Do not permit relaying of non-local mail&quot; is checked. Should I just uncheck it, or will doing that make my server vulnerable to exploitation?&amp;nbsp; If there are deeper addressing problems in my message or in the mail host how do I diagnose and fix them?

I should also say, that I also installed another SMTP server program: "Free SMTP Server", couldn't send out any mail with it either and got almost identical error messages as I and II above for Mercury.  I guess some setting needs changing on my box...?

&lt;p&gt;I should also say, that I also installed another SMTP server program: &quot;Free SMTP Server&quot;, couldn&#039;t send out any mail with it either and got almost identical error messages as I and II above for Mercury.&amp;nbsp; I guess some setting needs changing on my box...? &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="tron"]19:54:27.524: >> MAIL FROM:<tronz@yandex.ru> SIZE=317<cr><lf>
19:54:27.574: << 250 Sender and size (317) OK - send RCPTs.<cr><lf>
19:54:28.604: >> RCPT TO:<tronz@yandex.ru><cr><lf>
19:54:28.654: << 553 We do not relay non-local mail, sorry.<cr><lf>[/quote]

Those lines confirm that you don't relay and that yandex.ru is an external domain.  If it's local, you should add it to Core / Local domains.

[quote]In Mercury/32>Configuration>Mercury SMTP Server>Connection control - Relaying control>the box "Do not permit relaying of non-local mail" is checked.

Should I just uncheck it, or will doing that make my server vulnerable to exploitation?[/quote]

No, leave that checked.  The top two relay checkboxes should normally always be checked.

On that same Connection control tab, add localhost (127.0.0.1) as an address to 'allow' relaying.

Which outgoing module are you using?  MercuryC or MercuryE?

&lt;P&gt;[quote user=&quot;tron&quot;]19:54:27.524: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; MAIL FROM:&amp;lt;tronz@yandex.ru&amp;gt; SIZE=317&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 19:54:27.574: &amp;lt;&amp;lt; 250 Sender and size (317) OK - send RCPTs.&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 19:54:28.604: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; RCPT TO:&amp;lt;tronz@yandex.ru&amp;gt;&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 19:54:28.654: &amp;lt;&amp;lt; 553 We do not relay non-local mail, sorry.&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt;[/quote]&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Those lines confirm that you don&#039;t relay and that yandex.ru is an external&amp;nbsp;domain.&amp;nbsp; If it&#039;s local, you should add it to Core / Local domains.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;[quote]In Mercury/32&amp;gt;Configuration&amp;gt;Mercury SMTP Server&amp;gt;Connection control - Relaying control&amp;gt;the box &quot;Do not permit relaying of non-local mail&quot; is checked. Should I just uncheck it, or will doing that make my server vulnerable to exploitation?[/quote]&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;No, leave that checked.&amp;nbsp; The top two relay checkboxes should normally always be checked.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;On that same Connection control tab, add localhost (127.0.0.1) as an address to &#039;allow&#039; relaying.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Which outgoing module are you using?&amp;nbsp; MercuryC or MercuryE?&lt;/P&gt;

[quote user="tron"]

I have only installed the Mercury SMTP component: S and E modules.
My ISP is blocking port 25.

[/quote]

As well as allowing relaying from 127.0.0.1, you will need to remove MercE (direct SMTP delivery module that will be blocked by your ISP) & install MercC (and configure it to relay through your ISP's smarthost with your username & password)

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;tron&quot;] &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I have only installed the Mercury SMTP component: S and E modules. My ISP is blocking port 25. [/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;As well as allowing relaying from 127.0.0.1, you will need to remove MercE (direct SMTP delivery module that will be blocked by your ISP) &amp;amp; install MercC (and configure it to relay through your ISP&#039;s smarthost with your username &amp;amp; password)&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

I would prefer to bypass my ISP if possible rather than relaying though it.  I know my ISP is blocking port 25 but not ports 26 or 2525, for example, is it not possible to reconfigure MercE to send on a different port?

I would prefer to bypass my ISP if possible rather than relaying though it.&amp;nbsp; I know my ISP is blocking port 25 but not ports 26 or 2525, for example, is it not possible to reconfigure MercE to send on a different port?

But on port 26 no-one can hear you smtp. [:P]

SMTP servers listen on port 25, so if said ISP is blocking traffic on port 25, you only have two options, send via your ISP, or send via another smarthost that listens on an alternate port. Both options require MercC rather than MercE.

&lt;p&gt;But on port 26 no-one can hear you smtp. [:P]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;SMTP servers listen on port 25, so if said ISP is blocking traffic on port 25, you only have two options, send via your ISP, or send via another smarthost that listens on an alternate port. Both options require MercC rather than MercE. &lt;/p&gt;

It would seem I misunderstand the mechanism of transmission.  I thought it works as follows:

My email client sends out on port 25 to my local SMTP server - Mercury/32, MercS (the server module) listens on port 25 and once recieving the mail, passes it to MercE (the end-to-end SMTP client) that without the need of any other SMTP servers delivers directly to the recipient's mail box - sending out either on port 110 for POP3 or on port 993 for IMAP thus not using port 25 at any point.  What am I missing?

&lt;p&gt;It would seem I misunderstand the mechanism of transmission.&amp;nbsp; I thought it works as follows:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;My email client sends out on port 25 to my local SMTP server - Mercury/32, MercS (the server module) listens on port 25 and once recieving the mail, passes it to MercE (the end-to-end SMTP client) that without the need of any other SMTP servers delivers directly to the recipient&#039;s mail box - sending out either on port 110 for POP3 or on port 993 for IMAP thus not using port 25 at any point.&amp;nbsp; What am I missing? &lt;/p&gt;

MercE looks up the MX record of the domain part of the RCPT TO: address to determine which server handles delivery for that domain.

It then connects to port 25 of that server and passes the message. That is it.

As your ISP blocks outgoing connections to port 25 this is not going to work for you.

Being able to change the port in MercE would be useless, as there is no SMTP server listening on port 26. Sure you could set one up that way, but that will not help you deliver mail to anybody else.

You need to use MercC, which passes ALL external mail to ONE SMTP server for further delivery.

This will need to be a smarthost that you have an account on that is allowed to relay your mail.

The obvious choice is your ISP's server, however you could get an account on another smarthost as long as it has a port other than 25 that you can use.

&lt;p&gt;MercE looks up the MX record of the domain part of the RCPT TO: address to determine which server handles delivery for that domain.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;It then connects to port 25 of that server and passes the message. That is it.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;As your ISP blocks outgoing connections to port 25 this is not going to work for you.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Being able to change the port in MercE would be useless, as there is no SMTP server listening on port 26. Sure you could set one up that way, but that will not help you deliver mail to anybody else. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;You need to use MercC, which passes ALL external mail to ONE SMTP server for further delivery.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;This will need to be a smarthost that you have an account on that is allowed to relay your mail.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;The obvious choice is your ISP&#039;s server, however you could get an account on another smarthost as long as it has a port other than 25 that you can use.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft