Community Discussions and Support
Forward Spam to an external email address

[quote user="Joerg"]But in that case are only you able to check the spam folder, since your mailbox is locked when in use? If so, are you permanently in charge for checking company's spam? With us, different persons are in charge to check the spam account regularly, especially if users miss any mails and it's also no problem when I'm on vacation etc.[/quote]

Our mailbox configuration is such that each user has his own mailbox, the accounting dept. has one for invoices, and there is a General mailbox that is advertised for all non-user specific correspondence.  That General mailbox is one of the three instance of Pegasus Mail that I normally have running on my machine.  The Spam mailbox is added to its folder list as an added mailbox which make me the primary spam handler.  When I'm not here, an associate runs a General mailbox instance on his machine and handles the spam.  Should neither one of us be here, one of us checks it via IMAP.

I also use POPFile instead of Spamhalter.  One of the advantages of POPFile is that it maintains a copy of messages for 3 days (I think this number is configurable).  This provides a method of retrieving a message that was tagged as spam and missed during review for false positives. 

<p>[quote user="Joerg"]But in that case are only you able to check the spam folder, since your mailbox is locked when in use? If so, are you permanently in charge for checking company's spam? With us, different persons are in charge to check the spam account regularly, especially if users miss any mails and it's also no problem when I'm on vacation etc.[/quote]</p><p>Our mailbox configuration is such that each user has his own mailbox, the accounting dept. has one for invoices, and there is a General mailbox that is advertised for all non-user specific correspondence.  That General mailbox is one of the three instance of Pegasus Mail that I normally have running on my machine.  The Spam mailbox is added to its folder list as an added mailbox which make me the primary spam handler.  When I'm not here, an associate runs a General mailbox instance on his machine and handles the spam.  Should neither one of us be here, one of us checks it via IMAP.</p><p>I also use POPFile instead of Spamhalter.  One of the advantages of POPFile is that it maintains a copy of messages for 3 days (I think this number is configurable).  This provides a method of retrieving a message that was tagged as spam and missed during review for false positives.  </p>

Hello

Maybe my spam system is set up incorrectly? 

I've some incoming messages being identified as spam by Spamhalter, and they get the "X-SPAMHALTER: SPAM detected!" header added to them.  A filter, set in Mercury - Configuration - Filtering rules - Edit global rules..., looks for that header and moves the message to the 'spam' user when it's found.

When I try to forward one of these messages to an external email address, the Mercury filter kicks in and returns the outgoing message back to the spam user without sending it.

I can temporarily disable the filter, but is there a more elegant solution?

Thanks

Stuzz 

<p>Hello</p><p>Maybe my spam system is set up incorrectly? </p><p>I've some incoming messages being identified as spam by Spamhalter, and they get the "X-SPAMHALTER: SPAM detected!" header added to them.  A filter, set in Mercury - Configuration - Filtering rules - Edit global rules..., looks for that header and moves the message to the 'spam' user when it's found.</p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">When I try to forward one of these messages to an external email address, the Mercury filter kicks in and returns the outgoing message back to the spam user without sending it.</span></p><p>I can temporarily disable the filter, but is there a more elegant solution?</p><p>Thanks</p><p>Stuzz </p>

Hi Stuzz,

We have exactly the same configuration here with us and my solution is the following for forwarding false positives:

As long as you try to forward the false positive simply by "forwarding without editing" (when you are in Pmail account "spam"), Spamhalter is being triggered again and again. But in case you forward this false positive by Pmail with option "editing before forwarding", Pmail is replacing the original sender's address with the local mail address, in our case "spam@domain.com". Additionally you have to place an additional filter in front of your "X-SPAMHALTER: SPAM" filter, which is searching for the sender's address "spam@domain.com". And when it triggers, further filter processing in your general rule set will be terminated immediately (choose "exit from rule processing"). That causes that the false positive will be send since the "X-SPAMHALTER: SPAM" header is not being processed (but is of course still in the affected e-mail header).

We are checking our local "spam account" at least once a day, and forwarding false positives in that way. The recipient receives this mail with sender's address "spam@domain.com" instead of the original sender's address. It could be an advantage or disadvantage, depending on your needs.

<p>Hi Stuzz,</p><p>We have exactly the same configuration here with us and my solution is the following for forwarding false positives:</p><p>As long as you try to forward the false positive simply by "forwarding without editing" (when you are in Pmail account "spam"), Spamhalter is being triggered again and again. But in case you forward this false positive by Pmail with option "editing before forwarding", Pmail is replacing the original sender's address with the local mail address, in our case "spam@domain.com". Additionally you have to place an additional filter in front of your "X-SPAMHALTER: SPAM" filter, which is searching for the sender's address "spam@domain.com". And when it triggers, further filter processing in your general rule set will be terminated immediately (choose "exit from rule processing"). That causes that the false positive will be send since the "X-SPAMHALTER: SPAM" header is not being processed (but is of course still in the affected e-mail header).</p><p>We are checking our local "spam account" at least once a day, and forwarding false positives in that way. The recipient receives this mail with sender's address "spam@domain.com" instead of the original sender's address. It could be an advantage or disadvantage, depending on your needs. </p>

I like the approach Joerg takes because it makes it clear to the recipient that the message has been forwarded from spam.

FWIW, I became frustrated with being unable to create a combination of "exit processing" rules that prevented all outgoing messages from being affected by global rules so ended up running two instances of Mercury.  One handles incoming, filter & auto forwarding, and IMAP (Mercury C,D, & I), the other handles outgoing (Mercury E & S).

<p>I like the approach Joerg takes because it makes it clear to the recipient that the message has been forwarded from spam. </p><p>FWIW, I became frustrated with being unable to create a combination of "exit processing" rules that prevented all outgoing messages from being affected by global rules so ended up running two instances of Mercury.  One handles incoming, filter & auto forwarding, and IMAP (Mercury C,D, & I), the other handles outgoing (Mercury E & S). </p>

[quote user="Joerg"]We are checking our local "spam account" at least once a day, and forwarding false positives in that way. The recipient receives this mail with sender's address "spam@domain.com" instead of the original sender's address. It could be an advantage or disadvantage, depending on your needs. [/quote]

This intrigued me enough to stay on my mind until I realized that this will only when the Spam mailbox is checked by Pegasus Mail being run as the Spam user.  I never do that, opting instead to keep the Spam mailbox as an added mailbox to my folder list.  I suppose I could forward as a "Spam" identity configured with a personal name that indicates a spam forward.  Hmmm.... More to think about.

<p>[quote user="Joerg"]We are checking our local "spam account" at least once a day, and forwarding false positives in that way. The recipient receives this mail with sender's address "spam@domain.com" instead of the original sender's address. It could be an advantage or disadvantage, depending on your needs. [/quote]</p><p>This intrigued me enough to stay on my mind until I realized that this will only when the Spam mailbox is checked by Pegasus Mail being run as the Spam user.  I never do that, opting instead to keep the Spam mailbox as an added mailbox to my folder list.  I suppose I could forward as a "Spam" identity configured with a personal name that indicates a spam forward.  Hmmm.... More to think about. </p>

[quote user="Brian Fluet"]This intrigued me enough to stay on my mind until I realized that this will only when the Spam mailbox is checked by Pegasus Mail being run as the Spam user.  I never do that, opting instead to keep the Spam mailbox as an added mailbox to my folder list.  I suppose I could forward as a "Spam" identity configured with a personal name that indicates a spam forward.  Hmmm.... More to think about.
[/quote]

But in that case are only you able to check the spam folder, since your mailbox is locked when in use? If so, are you permanently in charge for checking company's spam? With us, different persons are in charge to check the spam account regularly, especially if users miss any mails and it's also no problem when I'm on vacation etc.

<p>[quote user="Brian Fluet"]This intrigued me enough to stay on my mind until I realized that this will only when the Spam mailbox is checked by Pegasus Mail being run as the Spam user.  I never do that, opting instead to keep the Spam mailbox as an added mailbox to my folder list.  I suppose I could forward as a "Spam" identity configured with a personal name that indicates a spam forward.  Hmmm.... More to think about. [/quote]</p><p>But in that case are only you able to check the spam folder, since your mailbox is locked when in use? If so, are you permanently in charge for checking company's spam? With us, different persons are in charge to check the spam account regularly, especially if users miss any mails and it's also no problem when I'm on vacation etc. </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft