Community Discussions and Support
Multiple simultaneous Pegasus users on one computer

Turns out I AM in multi-user mode and was easily able to create another user account.  I created a couple batch files I will use to start up the separate instances once I work out the details of managing and synchronizing folders as per my other inquiry.  

FWIW, I too am under quarantine for 14 days, but have other projects to work on, so I will put this one on hold until later. 

Thanks again for your help.

<p>Turns out I AM in multi-user mode and was easily able to create another user account.  I created a couple batch files I will use to start up the separate instances once I work out the details of managing and synchronizing folders as per my other inquiry.  </p><p> </p><p>FWIW, I too am under quarantine for 14 days, but have other projects to work on, so I will put this one on hold until later. </p><p> </p><p>Thanks again for your help.</p><p> </p>

I am a long time Pmail user, I use a single laptop, I want to keep my work and personal email separate, and I want to keep email access to both running all of the time.

Ideally, I would like to set up two pmail user accounts and log into both at the same time.  Is this possible?

Alternatively, I wonder if I could install Pegasus twice on the same computer - one for work and one for personal.

Or is there a third way to accomplish my goal?  I tried bringing Thunderbird into the picture for my work email, but I am not happy with some of its features.  If I can't find a Pegasus based solution, I will explore other email packages, but I thought I would start by asking all of you if this is an option.

Thanks,

Craig 

<p>I am a long time Pmail user, I use a single laptop, I want to keep my work and personal email separate, and I want to keep email access to both running all of the time.</p><p> </p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Ideally, I would like to set up two pmail user accounts and log into both at the same time.  Is this possible?</span></p><p> </p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Alternatively, I wonder if I could install Pegasus twice on the same computer - one for work and one for personal.</span></p><p> </p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Or is there a third way to accomplish my goal?  I tried bringing Thunderbird into the picture for my work email, but I am not happy with some of its features.  If I can't find a Pegasus based solution, I will explore other email packages, but I thought I would start by asking all of you if this is an option.</span></p><p> </p><p>Thanks,</p><p>Craig </p>

[quote user="cwickstrom"]

I am a long time Pmail user, I use a single laptop, I want to keep my work and personal email separate, and I want to keep email access to both running all of the time.

Ideally, I would like to set up two pmail user accounts and log into both at the same time.  Is this possible?[/quote]

Yes, that's possible. First create a user mailbox for your personal mail accounts and other for your work's mail accounts. Once set call two separate instances of Pegasus Mail this way:

?:\PMAIL\Programs\winpm-32.exe -i personal -ms

and

?:\PMAIL\Programs\winpm-32.exe -i work -ms

considering that "personal" and "work" are the usernames you use to refer personal and work mail accounts. The -ms command line option will instruct Pegasus Mail to allow more than an instance as long they are for different users. If you open more than an instance to the same user, and disregard the warning, you may lead to mailbox's files corruption.

[quote user="cwickstrom"]Alternatively, I wonder if I could install Pegasus twice on the same computer - one for work and one for personal.[/quote]

I don't think this will work TTBOMK.

[quote user="cwickstrom"]Or is there a third way to accomplish my goal?  I tried bringing Thunderbird into the picture for my work email, but I am not happy with some of its features.  If I can't find a Pegasus based solution, I will explore other email packages, but I thought I would start by asking all of you if this is an option.

Thanks,

Craig 

[/quote]

Stick to the first option and that will do. I use this same setup to access all my accounts and to my wife access hers at same time. Never had a problem since when this feature was introduced.

[quote user="cwickstrom"]<p>I am a long time Pmail user, I use a single laptop, I want to keep my work and personal email separate, and I want to keep email access to both running all of the time.</p><p> </p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Ideally, I would like to set up two pmail user accounts and log into both at the same time.  Is this possible?[/quote]</span></p><p>Yes, that's possible. First create a user mailbox for your personal mail accounts and other for your work's mail accounts. Once set call two separate instances of Pegasus Mail this way:</p><p>?:\PMAIL\Programs\winpm-32.exe -i personal -ms </p><p>and</p><p>?:\PMAIL\Programs\winpm-32.exe -i work -ms </p><p>considering that "personal" and "work" are the usernames you use to refer personal and work mail accounts. The -ms command line option will instruct Pegasus Mail to allow more than an instance as long they are for different users. If you open more than an instance to the same user, and disregard the warning, you may lead to mailbox's files corruption. </p><p> </p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">[quote user="cwickstrom"]Alternatively, I wonder if I could install Pegasus twice on the same computer - one for work and one for personal.[/quote]</span></p><p>I don't think this will work TTBOMK. </p><p> </p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">[quote user="cwickstrom"]Or is there a third way to accomplish my goal?  I tried bringing Thunderbird into the picture for my work email, but I am not happy with some of its features.  If I can't find a Pegasus based solution, I will explore other email packages, but I thought I would start by asking all of you if this is an option.</span></p><p> </p><p>Thanks,</p><p>Craig </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Stick to the first option and that will do. I use this same setup to access all my accounts and to my wife access hers at same time. Never had a problem since when this feature was introduced. </p>

-- Euler

Pegasus Mail 4.81.1154 Windows 7 Ultimate
IERenderer: 2.7.1.5 AttachMenu: 1.0.1.2
PMDebug: 2.5.8.34 BearHTML 4.9.9.6

You can indeed install two instances of Pegasus Mail but as Euler has said, one installation with multiple users is the way to go.  There is a Gotcha though.  If the current installation was made as a single user installaiton then adding another user may not be an option.  What is the path to your current new mailbox directory?  If you don't know, go the Help > About Pegasus Mail and click the Info button.  The resulting display will contain an entry that shows the path.

You can indeed install two instances of Pegasus Mail but as Euler has said, one installation with multiple users is the way to go.  There is a Gotcha though.  If the current installation was made as a single user installaiton then adding another user may not be an option.  What is the path to your current new mailbox directory?  If you don't know, go the Help > About Pegasus Mail and click the Info button.  The resulting display will contain an entry that shows the path.

Brian and Euler,

Thank you for your replies.  You have given me hope that I can make this work.  I apologize for the delay in acknowledging your help but I have been under the weather these past several days.

Having written that, I do have a slight concern.  I think this is the fourth computer that I have used with Pmail and whenever I switched computers, I simply copied the file structure to the new computer, reinstalled Pmail and everything has functioned well.  Initially I set Pmail up as a multi-user installation and for some time I would exit my primary account (craig) to check on a second account (harmon).  However, since 2015, I have not used the harmon account.  What worries me is that I may have inadvertently installed Pmail on this newest computer as a single user installation.  Here is what the info screen is showing me:

WINPMAIL.EXE directory: C:\PMAIL\Programs

Home mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL\craig

New mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL\craig

Does the fact that my new mailbox location is craig instead of MAIL indicate that I am set up in single user mode?

If I am in single user mode, do I need to uninstall Pmail and reinstall it to shift back to multi-user mode?

Thanks,

Craig

PS. How can I get this text editor back into  single line mode?
<p>Brian and Euler,</p><p> </p><p>   Thank you for your replies.  You have given me hope that I can make this work.  I apologize for the delay in acknowledging your help but I have been under the weather these past several days.</p><p> </p><p>   Having written that, I do have a slight concern.  I think this is the fourth computer that I have used with Pmail and whenever I switched computers, I simply copied the file structure to the new computer, reinstalled Pmail and everything has functioned well.  Initially I set Pmail up as a multi-user installation and for some time I would exit my primary account (craig) to check on a second account (harmon).  However, since 2015, I have not used the harmon account.  What worries me is that I may have inadvertently installed Pmail on this newest computer as a single user installation.  Here is what the info screen is showing me:</p><p> </p><p>WINPMAIL.EXE directory: C:\PMAIL\Programs</p><p>Home mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL\craig</p><p>New mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL\craig</p><p> </p><p>Does the fact that my new mailbox location is craig instead of MAIL indicate that I am set up in single user mode?</p><p> </p><p>If I am in single user mode, do I need to uninstall Pmail and reinstall it to shift back to multi-user mode?</p><p> </p><p>Thanks,</p><p>Craig</p><div> </div><div>PS. How can I get this text editor back into  single line mode?</div>

Brian and Euler,

Thank you for your replies.  You have given me hope that I can make this work.  I apologize for the delay in acknowledging your help but I have been under the weather these past several days.

Having written that, I do have a slight concern.  I think this is the fourth computer that I have used with Pmail and whenever I switched computers, I simply copied the file structure to the new computer, reinstalled Pmail and everything has functioned well.  Initially I set Pmail up as a multi-user installation and for some time I would exit my primary account (craig) to check on a second account (harmon).  However, since 2015, I have not used the harmon account.  What worries me is that I may have inadvertently installed Pmail on this newest computer as a single user installation.  Here is what the info screen is showing me:

WINPMAIL.EXE directory: C:\PMAIL\Programs

Home mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL\craig

New mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL\craig

Does the fact that my new mailbox location is craig instead of MAIL indicate that I am set up in single user mode?[/quote]

No. As a matter of fact Pegasus Mail has two operating modes:  multi-user or network. multi-user is the default installation and it assumes more than a person will access their mail from a single computer. In your particular case you will use .\MAIL\Craig, and Harmon will access through .\MAIL\Harmon. Pegasus Mail can even allow two separate instances if called using -rm command line option.

[quote user="cwickstrom"]If I am in single user mode, do I need to uninstall Pmail and reinstall it to shift back to multi-user mode?

Thanks,

Craig[/quote]

Methinks that what determines if Pmail is working one way or another

is how its directory structure was built and what PMAIL.USR has in it.

In other words, as long .\MAIL\PMAIL.USR has more than one user, it is

multi-user, otherwise not. If by any means this structure is changed make use of PConfig32.exe utility to re-assign your new mailbox path.

Hope I'm not messing things up. This corona virus quarantine is driving me nuts.

PS. How can I get this text editor back into  single line mode?

[/quote]

I have no idea what editor you are meaning. Pmail's?

[quote user="cwickstrom"]<p>Brian and Euler,</p><p> </p><p>   Thank you for your replies.  You have given me hope that I can make this work.  I apologize for the delay in acknowledging your help but I have been under the weather these past several days.</p><p> </p><p>   Having written that, I do have a slight concern.  I think this is the fourth computer that I have used with Pmail and whenever I switched computers, I simply copied the file structure to the new computer, reinstalled Pmail and everything has functioned well.  Initially I set Pmail up as a multi-user installation and for some time I would exit my primary account (craig) to check on a second account (harmon).  However, since 2015, I have not used the harmon account.  What worries me is that I may have inadvertently installed Pmail on this newest computer as a single user installation.  Here is what the info screen is showing me:</p><p> </p><p>WINPMAIL.EXE directory: C:\PMAIL\Programs</p><p>Home mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL\craig</p><p>New mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL\craig</p><p> </p><p>Does the fact that my new mailbox location is craig instead of MAIL indicate that I am set up in single user mode?[/quote]</p><p>No. As a matter of fact Pegasus Mail has two operating modes:  multi-user or network. multi-user is the default installation and it assumes more than a person will access their mail from a single computer. In your particular case you will use .\MAIL\Craig, and Harmon will access through .\MAIL\Harmon. Pegasus Mail can even allow two separate instances if called using -rm command line option. </p><p> </p><p>[quote user="cwickstrom"]If I am in single user mode, do I need to uninstall Pmail and reinstall it to shift back to multi-user mode?</p>Thanks,<p>Craig[/quote]</p><div> </div>Methinks that what determines if Pmail is working one way or another is how its directory structure was built and what PMAIL.USR has in it. In other words, as long .\MAIL\PMAIL.USR has more than one user, it is multi-user, otherwise not. If by any means this structure is changed make use of PConfig32.exe utility to re-assign your new mailbox path. <p>Hope I'm not messing things up. This corona virus quarantine is driving me nuts.</p><div>[quote user="cwickstrom"] PS. How can I get this text editor back into  single line mode?</div><p>[/quote]</p><p>I have no idea what editor you are meaning. Pmail's? </p>

-- Euler

Pegasus Mail 4.81.1154 Windows 7 Ultimate
IERenderer: 2.7.1.5 AttachMenu: 1.0.1.2
PMDebug: 2.5.8.34 BearHTML 4.9.9.6

live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft