Community Discussions and Support
Alternate POP3 and IMAP periodically?

Many other may have said this already

You would need to build the folder structure in Pegasus (for your POP3 session) and use filter rules to move messages to those folders, if your rules (or defaults) don't "Delete Mail On Server Once Downloaded" your IMAP side will be synced

What you "may" miss whilst in POP3 is the Spam/Junk folder at your ISP, I have to use IMAP once in a while because Yahoo (even with filtering turned off) still send good mail to a "Bulk" folder so I need to go in and "teach" that these mails are not Spam/Junk

<p>Many other may have said this already </p><p>You would need to build the folder structure in Pegasus (for your POP3 session) and use filter rules to move messages to those folders, if your rules (or defaults) don't "Delete Mail On Server Once Downloaded" your IMAP side will be synced</p><p>What you "may" miss whilst in POP3 is the Spam/Junk folder at your ISP, I have to use IMAP once in a while because Yahoo (even with filtering turned off) still send good mail to a "Bulk" folder so I need to go in and "teach" that these mails are not Spam/Junk</p><p> </p>

I am about to move an Office 365 email account to Pegasus mail.  I would like to recreate my online folder structure - for that IMAP is ideal.  However, I will often be working in areas with poor internet connections so I will need to use POP3. 

Can I use IMAP from home to keep my online and local folder structure synchronized, switch to POP3 when I travel, and then switch back to IMAP when I return home to re-synchronize my folders?

<p>I am about to move an Office 365 email account to Pegasus mail.  I would like to recreate my online folder structure - for that IMAP is ideal.  However, I will often be working in areas with poor internet connections so I will need to use POP3.  </p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;"> </span></p><p>Can I use IMAP from home to keep my online and local folder structure synchronized, switch to POP3 when I travel, and then switch back to IMAP when I return home to re-synchronize my folders?</p>

[quote user="cwickstrom"]Can I use IMAP from home to keep my online and local folder structure synchronized, switch to POP3 when I travel, and then switch back to IMAP when I return home to re-synchronize my folders?[/quote]

Yes, but why.  IMAP from home and while traveling.  Accessing the same email store from different devices is what it is designed for.  The primary advantage to POP3 is the automatic download of messages (and the automatic deletion of messages from the server for those who prefer it).  If you do combine IMAP and POP3 be sure POP3 is configured not to delete messages from the server.

Also,  I have some thoughts about your single/multi-user concern but am spread little thin at work at the moment so will reply to that thread when I find some time to think it through.

<p>[quote user="cwickstrom"]<span style="font-size: 10pt;"></span>Can I use IMAP from home to keep my online and local folder structure synchronized, switch to POP3 when I travel, and then switch back to IMAP when I return home to re-synchronize my folders?[/quote]</p><p>Yes, but why.  IMAP from home and while traveling.  Accessing the same email store from different devices is what it is designed for.  The primary advantage to POP3 is the automatic download of messages (and the automatic deletion of messages from the server for those who prefer it).  If you do combine IMAP and POP3 be sure POP3 is configured not to delete messages from the server. </p><p>Also,  I have some thoughts about your single/multi-user concern but am spread little thin at work at the moment so will reply to that thread when I find some time to think it through. </p>

Thanks for the response, Brian.  First, I have learned the hard way that IMAP becomes cumbersome in northwest Congo because it only downloads header information and each time I look at a message it has to go out and download that message, meaning that I have to be connected to the Internet at all times.  Instead, I need to be able to download all messages and then read them and compose replies offline before reconnecting to the Internet the next time it is available.

Second, I have done some experimentation this morning and am finding that the folder structure that IMAP duplicates for me disappears each time I close Pmail.  Is there some way I can make those folders "sticky" so that I can continue to use them even when IMAP is inactive - ie. even when I switch to POP3?

To keep the topics clean, I will add comments to the multi-user topic under that thread, but want you to know that I can afford to be patient, so no need to rush on my behalf.

<p>Thanks for the response, Brian.  First, I have learned the hard way that IMAP becomes cumbersome in northwest Congo because it only downloads header information and each time I look at a message it has to go out and download that message, meaning that I have to be connected to the Internet at all times.  Instead, I need to be able to download all messages and then read them and compose replies offline before reconnecting to the Internet the next time it is available.</p><p> </p><p>Second, I have done some experimentation this morning and am finding that the folder structure that IMAP duplicates for me disappears each time I close Pmail.  Is there some way I can make those folders "sticky" so that I can continue to use them even when IMAP is inactive - ie. even when I switch to POP3?</p><p> </p><p>To keep the topics clean, I will add comments to the multi-user topic under that thread, but want you to know that I can afford to be patient, so no need to rush on my behalf.</p>

[quote user="cwickstrom"]Thanks for the response, Brian.  First, I have learned the hard way that IMAP becomes cumbersome in northwest Congo because it only downloads header information and each time I look at a message it has to go out and download that message, meaning that I have to be connected to the Internet at all times.  Instead, I need to be able to download all messages and then read them and compose replies offline before reconnecting to the Internet the next time it is available.[/quote]

Understood.  POP3 without deleting from the server will work.

[quote user="cwickstrom"]Second, I have done some experimentation this morning and am finding that the folder structure that IMAP duplicates for me disappears each time I close Pmail.  Is there some way I can make those folders "sticky" so that I can continue to use them even when IMAP is inactive - ie. even when I switch to POP3?[/quote]

IMAP is a protocol that accesses the mail store on the host server.  The folder structure there is what you see in Pegasus Mail and is dependent on the connection between Pmail and the server.

POP3 is a protocol that downloads mail to the local mail store.  Its folder structure is what you see in 'My mailbox'.

At best, you can try to duplicate the IMAP folder structure in the "My mailbox" folder structure but you would have had to copy messages to the local mail store during an IMAP connection in order for them to be available when disconnected (eg: copy into folders in 'My mailbox"). 

FWIW, I rarely use IMAP so I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed on this subject.  I encourage everyone to add their comments.

[quote user="cwickstrom"]Thanks for the response, Brian.  First, I have learned the hard way that IMAP becomes cumbersome in northwest Congo because it only downloads header information and each time I look at a message it has to go out and download that message, meaning that I have to be connected to the Internet at all times.  Instead, I need to be able to download all messages and then read them and compose replies offline before reconnecting to the Internet the next time it is available.[/quote]<p>Understood.  POP3 without deleting from the server will work. </p><p>[quote user="cwickstrom"]Second, I have done some experimentation this morning and am finding that the folder structure that IMAP duplicates for me disappears each time I close Pmail.  Is there some way I can make those folders "sticky" so that I can continue to use them even when IMAP is inactive - ie. even when I switch to POP3?[/quote]</p><p>IMAP is a protocol that accesses the mail store on the host server.  The folder structure there is what you see in Pegasus Mail and is dependent on the connection between Pmail and the server. </p><p>POP3 is a protocol that downloads mail to the local mail store.  Its folder structure is what you see in 'My mailbox'.</p><p>At best, you can try to duplicate the IMAP folder structure in the "My mailbox" folder structure but you would have had to copy messages to the local mail store during an IMAP connection in order for them to be available when disconnected (eg: copy into folders in 'My mailbox").  </p><p>FWIW, I rarely use IMAP so I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed on this subject.  I encourage everyone to add their comments. </p>

[quote user="cwickstrom"]

Thanks for the response, Brian.  First, I have learned the hard way that IMAP becomes cumbersome in northwest Congo because it only downloads header information and each time I look at a message it has to go out and download that message, meaning that I have to be connected to the Internet at all times.  Instead, I need to be able to download all messages and then read them and compose replies offline before reconnecting to the Internet the next time it is available.[/quote]

Brian, just toggle IMAP cache ON. It can cache message headers, bodies or both. Check if IMAP cache management both options are NOT checked.

Second, I have done some experimentation this morning and am finding that the folder structure that IMAP duplicates for me disappears each time I close Pmail.  Is there some way I can make those folders "sticky" so that I can continue to use them even when IMAP is inactive - ie. even when I switch to POP3?[/quote]

The IMAP folder structure is provided by the server. OTOH there are servers that allow you to create your own folders. From Pegasus Mail Help: "This server supports folders within folders:  Some IMAP servers will allow you to create mail folders inside other mail folders along with the messages they contain, while some will not." If your server is that much kind than you go for it. [;)]

To keep the topics clean, I will add comments to the multi-user topic under that thread, but want you to know that I can afford to be patient, so no need to rush on my behalf.

[/quote]

As I said there I'm on quarantine so time is not a problem so far. [:D]

[quote user="cwickstrom"]<p>Thanks for the response, Brian.  First, I have learned the hard way that IMAP becomes cumbersome in northwest Congo because it only downloads header information and each time I look at a message it has to go out and download that message, meaning that I have to be connected to the Internet at all times.  Instead, I need to be able to download all messages and then read them and compose replies offline before reconnecting to the Internet the next time it is available.[/quote]</p><p>Brian, just toggle IMAP cache ON. It can cache message headers, bodies or both. Check if IMAP cache management both options are NOT checked. </p><p>[quote user="cwickstrom"] Second, I have done some experimentation this morning and am finding that the folder structure that IMAP duplicates for me disappears each time I close Pmail.  Is there some way I can make those folders "sticky" so that I can continue to use them even when IMAP is inactive - ie. even when I switch to POP3?[/quote]</p><p>The IMAP folder structure is provided by the server. OTOH there are servers that allow you to create your own folders. From Pegasus Mail Help: <i>"<u>This server supports folders within folders:</u>  Some IMAP servers will allow you to create mail folders inside other mail folders along with the messages they contain, while some will not." </i>If your server is that much kind than you go for it. [;)] </p><p>[quote user="cwickstrom"] To keep the topics clean, I will add comments to the multi-user topic under that thread, but want you to know that I can afford to be patient, so no need to rush on my behalf.</p><p>[/quote]</p><p>As I said there I'm on quarantine so time is not a problem so far. [:D] </p>

-- Euler

Pegasus Mail 4.81.1154 Windows 7 Ultimate
IERenderer: 2.7.1.5 AttachMenu: 1.0.1.2
PMDebug: 2.5.8.34 BearHTML 4.9.9.6

My last post is pending moderator release.  Must have been something I said.  [8-)]

My last post is pending moderator release.  Must have been something I said.  [8-)]

Brian,

message has been approved

Martin

<p>Brian,</p><p>    message has been approved</p><p>Martin </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft