Community Discussions and Support
Pegasus 4.73 on Linux

A couple days ago I tried to install Pegasus Mail in my Linux Mint machine (under Wine). I copied my 4.73 installer package into a thumb drive I used to install it. It did very well installing Pegasus Mail to Wine's C: drive. Shortcuts were correctly created and my only intervention was to rename IERenderer.fff to IERenderer.fff_ to avoid its call. Everything worked so fine I'm astonished. In the forthcoming days I'll play with add-ons like the Hunspell dictionaries, SpamHalter, etc. I think I'm finally on my way out of Windows world.

I also had the invaluable assistance of Michael D. Setzer II, a long time Pegasus Mail on Linux user, to details I should be aware of though all went just fine all the way.

<p>A couple days ago I tried to install Pegasus Mail in my Linux Mint machine (under Wine). I copied my 4.73 installer package into a thumb drive I used to install it. It did very well installing Pegasus Mail to Wine's C: drive. Shortcuts were correctly created and my only intervention was to rename IERenderer.fff to IERenderer.fff_ to avoid its call. Everything worked so fine I'm astonished. In the forthcoming days I'll play with add-ons like the Hunspell dictionaries, SpamHalter, etc. I think I'm finally on my way out of Windows world.</p><p>I also had the invaluable assistance of Michael D. Setzer II, a long time Pegasus Mail on Linux user, to details I should be aware of though all went just fine all the way. </p>

-- Euler

Pegasus Mail 4.81.1154 Windows 7 Ultimate
IERenderer: 2.7.1.5 AttachMenu: 1.0.1.2
PMDebug: 2.5.8.34 BearHTML 4.9.9.6

While I like windows (7, that is) it has been all downhill ethically for microsoft post-7.  As long as we're confined thanks to the virus I've taken this as an opportunity to become sufficiently linux adept to exit the world of privacy raiding software.  So....

I've installed Linux Mint with Crossover.  Bit of a learning curve but making progress.  Pegasus is mandatory to make the move so I have been concentrating on that.  So far what I have learned is this: Crossover has a functional installer for Pegasus 4.70 which works.  Once that's installed, it can be upgraded using the 4.73 installer which we want. Finally I installed IERenderer and the new version of Bear.

It's working great with one exception where launching Pegasus throws the error "Pegasus Mail has encountered an operating system error while attempting to load the extension 'IERenderer'. The error code returned by Windows was: "Module not found."  It seems this should be something that can be resolved but I've had no success doing so.  Any help will be appreciated.

Jim

<p>While I like windows (7, that is) it has been all downhill ethically for microsoft post-7.  As long as we're confined thanks to the virus I've taken this as an opportunity to become sufficiently linux adept to exit the world of privacy raiding software.  So.... </p><p>I've installed Linux Mint with Crossover.  Bit of a learning curve but making progress.  Pegasus is mandatory to make the move so I have been concentrating on that.  So far what I have learned is this: Crossover has a functional installer for Pegasus 4.70 which works.  Once that's installed, it can be upgraded using the 4.73 installer which we want. Finally I installed IERenderer and the new version of Bear. </p><p>It's working great with one exception where launching Pegasus throws the error "Pegasus Mail has encountered an operating system error while attempting to load the extension 'IERenderer'. The error code returned by Windows was: "Module not found."  It seems this should be something that can be resolved but I've had no success doing so.  Any help will be appreciated.</p><p>Jim </p>

IERenderer is dependent on the Internet Explorer engine which of course doesn't exist on Linux.  IIRC, disabling IERenderer by removing or renaming IERenderer.fff is the solution.

IERenderer is dependent on the Internet Explorer engine which of course doesn't exist on Linux.  IIRC, disabling IERenderer by removing or renaming IERenderer.fff is the solution.

Tried inactivating the .fff file by renaming but still get the "Error loading extension" dialog with the same error message.

Pegasus seems to work fine without IERenderer so maybe terminating the call to it??

Thanks.

Jim

<p>Tried inactivating the .fff file by renaming but still get the "Error loading extension" dialog with the same error message.</p><p>Pegasus seems to work fine without IERenderer so maybe terminating the call to it??</p><p> Thanks.</p><p>Jim </p>

I'd check that you dont have IERenderer.fff anywhere,As I don't use IERenderer I renamed to IERenderer.ff_ that does keep IERenderer been seen or effecting Pegasus,

I do that on all my boxies both Windowz & Ubuntu (with Wine) on one Ubuntu only box I tried deleting IERenderer dir and IERenderer.fff but that caused a problem with BearHTML (don't know why)

<p>I'd check that you dont have IERenderer.fff anywhere,As I don't use IERenderer I renamed to IERenderer.ff_ that does keep IERenderer been seen or effecting Pegasus, </p><p>I do that on all my boxies both Windowz & Ubuntu (with Wine) on one Ubuntu only box I tried deleting IERenderer dir and IERenderer.fff but that caused a problem with BearHTML (don't know why)</p>

AFAIK, with ierenderer.fff out of the picture Pegasus Mail won't know it's there so shouldn't be calling it.

I wonder if ierenderer.ini is being read (it's in the mailbox directory).  Try setting UseBearHtml=YES and see if that gets you anywhere.

<p>AFAIK, with ierenderer.fff out of the picture Pegasus Mail won't know it's there so shouldn't be calling it.</p><p>I wonder if ierenderer.ini is being read (it's in the mailbox directory).  Try setting UseBearHtml=YES and see if that gets you anywhere. </p>

That's what I thought but it has me thinking about "where".  Crossover does a lot of things on its own but I'm sure not all.  I looked in Pmail.ini and I still see drive designators which linux cannot use.  I routinely do not install applications to C: drive so there is some digging to be done.

I compared the win directories to the linux directories and IERenderer is in both as is Bear. Even given that IE is irrelevant on linux there has to be a call to it that needs to be disabled and that disabling the IERenderer.fff file has no effect so I'm thinking that somehow each mailbox doesn't share a common IERenderer call - either that or the IERenderer call is hard-coded somewhere. 

To complcate matters, the error dialog indicates that IERenderer is an extension but bringing up Extension Manager in either win or linux does not show IERenderer.  

I'm still digging but running out of ideas.

Thanks for the thoughts.  Jim

<p>That's what I thought but it has me thinking about "where".  Crossover does a lot of things on its own but I'm sure not all.  I looked in Pmail.ini and I still see drive designators which linux cannot use.  I routinely do not install applications to C: drive so there is some digging to be done. </p><p> I compared the win directories to the linux directories and IERenderer is in both as is Bear. Even given that IE is irrelevant on linux there has to be a call to it that needs to be disabled and that disabling the IERenderer.fff file has no effect so I'm thinking that somehow each mailbox doesn't share a common IERenderer call - either that or the IERenderer call is hard-coded somewhere.  </p><p> To complcate matters, the error dialog indicates that IERenderer is an extension but bringing up Extension Manager in either win or linux does not show IERenderer.  </p><p> I'm still digging but running out of ideas.</p><p>Thanks for the thoughts.  Jim </p>

Totally agree but taking IERenderer.fff out of the picture makes no diff and IERenderer doesn't show in the Extensions Manager. 

Sorry to be thick, but where would I set UseBearHtml = YES.

Thanks.  Jim

<p>Totally agree but taking IERenderer.fff out of the picture makes no diff and IERenderer doesn't show in the Extensions Manager.  </p><p>Sorry to be thick, but where would I set UseBearHtml = YES.</p><p>Thanks.  Jim </p>

[quote user="Jim727"]

Totally agree but taking IERenderer.fff out of the picture makes no diff and IERenderer doesn't show in the Extensions Manager. 

Sorry to be thick, but where would I set UseBearHtml = YES.

Thanks.  Jim

[/quote]

Look in IERenderer.ini file.

[quote user="Jim727"]<p>Totally agree but taking IERenderer.fff out of the picture makes no diff and IERenderer doesn't show in the Extensions Manager.  </p><p>Sorry to be thick, but where would I set UseBearHtml = YES.</p><p>Thanks.  Jim </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Look in IERenderer.ini file. </p>

-- Euler

Pegasus Mail 4.81.1154 Windows 7 Ultimate
IERenderer: 2.7.1.5 AttachMenu: 1.0.1.2
PMDebug: 2.5.8.34 BearHTML 4.9.9.6

Overlooked that - thanks.  Bear is = Y in all of the mailbox IERender.ini files.

I also tried setting the extensions flags in the .fff file to 0 but that didn't help.  Next (feeble?) thought is to set the form flags to 26 to maybe get logging?

<p>Overlooked that - thanks.  Bear is = Y in all of the mailbox IERender.ini files.</p><p>I also tried setting the extensions flags in the .fff file to 0 but that didn't help.  Next (feeble?) thought is to set the form flags to 26 to maybe get logging? </p>

First thing everyone should know when trying to uninstall IERenderer on which system ever: The easiest and cleanest way to go is by using the uninstaller that is provided when installing IER via Pegasus Mail's own default installer (and any IER update), i.e. if Pegasus Mail's installer installed IER you should be able to run IER's uninstaller from the same place in Windows or any other system replacement that is used for uninstalling Pegasus Mail. This way you won't miss any files causing errors like you might encounter otherwise.

If you don't do so you need to know that IER isn't a common Pegasus Mail extension, it's deeper tied into Pegasus Mail than extensions usually are and being both at the same time is an "extra" added by me that BearHtml doesn't provide, its purpose being a more convenient user interface. This means that you actually need to rename or remove exactly (only but definitely) two files for disabling IER: IERenderer.fff (depending on the kind of installation in Pegasus Mail's "...\programs\" subdirectory or any user's new mail directory, IERenderer.fde for the German version) and Renderer.pm in Pegasus Mail's "...\programs\" subdirectory as well. You don't need to remove the IERenderer subdirectory or any files in there.

<p>First thing everyone should know when trying to uninstall IERenderer on which system ever: The easiest and cleanest way to go is by using the uninstaller that is provided when installing IER via Pegasus Mail's own default installer (and any IER update), i.e. if Pegasus Mail's installer installed IER you should be able to run IER's uninstaller from the same place in Windows or any other system replacement that is used for uninstalling Pegasus Mail. This way you won't miss any files causing errors like you might encounter otherwise.</p><p>If you don't do so you need to know that IER isn't a common Pegasus Mail extension, it's deeper tied into Pegasus Mail than extensions usually are and being both at the same time is an "extra" added by me that BearHtml doesn't provide, its purpose being a more convenient user interface. This means that you actually need to rename or remove exactly (only but definitely) two files for disabling IER: <i>IERenderer.fff</i> (depending on the kind of installation in Pegasus Mail's "...\programs\" subdirectory or any user's new mail directory, <i>IERenderer.fde</i> for the German version) and <i>Renderer.pm</i> in Pegasus Mail's "...\programs\" subdirectory as well. You don't need to remove the IERenderer subdirectory or any files in there. </p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

I disabled IERenderer.fff and Renderer.pm in the programs direcory - no luck.

I'm thinking I need to completely uninstall (ugh) and start from scratch.  I don't recall checking to see if version 4.70 threw the same error.  Crossover has an install for 4.70 then I used the installer to upgrade to 4.73 as recommended by Pegasus help.

Pegasus does seem to work even after throwing the error dialog, but Pegasus is one of very few programs that must work or we won't make the linux transition so it's important.

Vielen Dank!  Jim

<p>I disabled IERenderer.fff and Renderer.pm in the programs direcory - no luck.</p><p>I'm thinking I need to completely uninstall (ugh) and start from scratch.  I don't recall checking to see if version 4.70 threw the same error.  Crossover has an install for 4.70 then I used the installer to upgrade to 4.73 as recommended by Pegasus help.</p><p>Pegasus does seem to work even after throwing the error dialog, but Pegasus is one of very few programs that must work or we won't make the linux transition so it's important.</p><p>Vielen Dank!  Jim </p>

[quote user="Jim727"]I disabled IERenderer.fff and Renderer.pm in the programs direcory - no luck.[/quote]

I'm sorry to say, but this error only occurs if there's still an IERenderer.fff file somewhere in your installation, either the ...\programs\ subdirectory or user mailboxes. Removing or renaming them will solve your issue, this is definitely the solution no matter what - well, I should say: It is on Windows, of course.

<p>[quote user="Jim727"]I disabled IERenderer.fff and Renderer.pm in the programs direcory - no luck.[/quote]</p><p>I'm sorry to say, but this error only occurs if there's still an IERenderer.fff file somewhere in your installation, either the ...\programs\ subdirectory or user mailboxes. Removing or renaming them will solve your issue, this is definitely the solution no matter what - well, I should say: It is on Windows, of course. </p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

EUREKA!!  Solution found, he said sheepishly. 

I had made enough changes that the most direct route appeared to be to entirely delete the Crossover bottle I was using for Pegasus and start over - so I did.  After deleting everything Pegasus I used the Crossover installer for v. 4.70, set up a mailbox very carefully and created a launcher.   On launching the dreaded IERenderer error returned.  Carefully reading the error message it indicates that the error code is "Module not found".  Hmmmmm.  Maybe it means jist what it says - maybe killing IERenderer ensures (duh) that the module can't be found. 

Time to resort to "thinking".  If the real problem is exactly as stated and Pegasus is looking for IERenderer and unable to find it - could be linux pathing or a Crossover conversion.  Or not.  RTFM.  I opened IERenderer and very carefully read every word.  Very interesting line that says "Form flags = 31" which would be the sum of the first 5 lines - but line 1 is for "Load the extension when WinPMail starts up".  A Clue!!  Edit IERenderer to so Form flags = 0 to inhibit loading the module in the first place.  Save .fff and relaunch Pegasus - Bingo! No error.

Install Pegaasus 4.73 as an upgrade, error returns.  Re-edit IERenderer.fff as above, save and launch.  No error.

So, the solution was hiding in plain sight: just set Form flags = 0 and it works.

Now to add the other mailboxes and continue testing.  Here's hoping this helps someone else.

Jim

<p>EUREKA!!  Solution found, he said sheepishly.  </p><p> I had made enough changes that the most direct route appeared to be to entirely delete the Crossover bottle I was using for Pegasus and start over - so I did.  After deleting everything Pegasus I used the Crossover installer for v. 4.70, set up a mailbox very carefully and created a launcher.   On launching the dreaded IERenderer error returned.  Carefully reading the error message it indicates that the error code is "Module not found".  Hmmmmm.  Maybe it means jist what it says - maybe killing IERenderer ensures (duh) that the module can't be found.  </p><p>Time to resort to "thinking".  If the real problem is exactly as stated and Pegasus is looking for IERenderer and unable to find it - could be linux pathing or a Crossover conversion.  Or not.  RTFM.  I opened IERenderer and very carefully read every word.  Very interesting line that says "Form flags = 31" which would be the sum of the first 5 lines - but line 1 is for "Load the extension when WinPMail starts up".  A Clue!!  Edit IERenderer to so Form flags = 0 to inhibit loading the module in the first place.  Save .fff and relaunch Pegasus - Bingo! No error.</p><p>Install Pegaasus 4.73 as an upgrade, error returns.  Re-edit IERenderer.fff as above, save and launch.  No error.</p><p> So, the solution was hiding in plain sight: just set Form flags = 0 and it works.</p><p>Now to add the other mailboxes and continue testing.  Here's hoping this helps someone else.</p><p>Jim </p>

[quote user="Jim727"]Install Pegaasus 4.73 as an upgrade, error returns.  Re-edit IERenderer.fff as above, save and launch.  No error.

So, the solution was hiding in plain sight: just set Form flags = 0 and it works.

Now to add the other mailboxes and continue testing.  Here's hoping this helps someone else.[/quote]

All this wouldn't have been necessary if you had just removed IERenderer.fff. So may I ask how you "disabled IERenderer.fff" as you told us in your previous posting?

I certainly have to apologise, though, for not having chosen my wording more precisely, since Pegasus Mail doesn't care about the name of these files but only about their extension, i.e. it tries to execute whatever commands it reads from any .fff file it finds (or .fde and so forth for other languages). Sorry.

[quote user="Jim727"]Install Pegaasus 4.73 as an upgrade, error returns.  Re-edit IERenderer.fff as above, save and launch.  No error.<p> So, the solution was hiding in plain sight: just set Form flags = 0 and it works.</p><p>Now to add the other mailboxes and continue testing.  Here's hoping this helps someone else.[/quote]</p><p>All this wouldn't have been necessary if you had just removed IERenderer.fff. So may I ask how you "disabled IERenderer.fff" as you told us in your previous posting?</p><p>I certainly have to apologise, though, for not having chosen my wording more precisely, since Pegasus Mail doesn't care about the <i>name</i> of these files but only about their <i>extension</i>, i.e. it tries to execute whatever commands it reads from any <i>.fff</i> file it finds (or <i>.fde</i> and so forth for other languages). Sorry. </p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

I tried both deleting the file and renaming to XXXIERenderer.XXX

There is always the possibility the Crossover has one buried in a path I couldn't find but I (think) I was pretty thorough.  Also, the error dialog did say that the module couldn't be found which would be the case after deleting or renaming.

The problem could be with Crossover.  I don't profess to understand its inner workings but even when I used their install for version 4.70 I received the same error.  Perhaps the true solution is to find how Crossover sets its pathing and modify IERenderer.fff so it can find the module?  For now, at least, Pegasus is running fine without an error dialog.

Jim

<p>I tried both deleting the file and renaming to XXXIERenderer.XXX</p><p>There is always the possibility the Crossover has one buried in a path I couldn't find but I (think) I was pretty thorough.  Also, the error dialog did say that the module couldn't be found which would be the case after deleting or renaming.</p><p> The problem could be with Crossover.  I don't profess to understand its inner workings but even when I used their install for version 4.70 I received the same error.  Perhaps the true solution is to find how Crossover sets its pathing and modify IERenderer.fff so it <u>can</u> find the module?  For now, at least, Pegasus is running fine without an error dialog. </p><p>Jim </p>

[quote user="Jim727"] The problem could be with Crossover.  I don't profess to understand its inner workings but even when I used their install for version 4.70 I received the same error.  Perhaps the true solution is to find how Crossover sets its pathing and modify IERenderer.fff so it can find the module?[/quote]

Well, this sounds quite confusing and intransparent to me, not quite the way I would like things to go. So good luck for you!

<p>[quote user="Jim727"] The problem could be with Crossover.  I don't profess to understand its inner workings but even when I used their install for version 4.70 I received the same error.  Perhaps the true solution is to find how Crossover sets its pathing and modify IERenderer.fff so it <u>can</u> find the module?[/quote]</p><p>Well, this sounds quite confusing and intransparent to me, not quite the way I would like things to go. So good luck for you! </p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft