Community Discussions and Support
How can a Unix style mail folder come to be?

[quote user="caisson"]In answer to the original question Pmail certainly has the capacity to create .mbx folders as can be seen from the add folders drop down box.[/quote]

This explains how they might have been created.  Now to figure out why duplicates were created as Pegasus Mail  mailboxes.  Hierarch shows them both with the same folder name bu different internat names so I still intend to access the users mailbox and try to figure out what is showing up in the folder list.  It has become difficult with folks maintining an IMAP connection while working from home.

<p>[quote user="caisson"]In answer to the original question Pmail certainly has the capacity to create .mbx folders as can be seen from the add folders drop down box.[/quote]</p><p>This explains how they might have been created.  Now to figure out why duplicates were created as Pegasus Mail  mailboxes.  Hierarch shows them both with the same folder name bu different internat names so I still intend to access the users mailbox and try to figure out what is showing up in the folder list.  It has become difficult with folks maintining an IMAP connection while working from home. </p>

I have a Pmail user who has two Unix style folders in her mailbox directory.  Can anyone tell me how they might have come into existence?  She's running a multi-user network-shared Pegasus Mail with mailboxes on a server.

Also, the .MBX files are date-stamped 4 years ago but the associated .PMG & .PNM files are date stamped yesterday.  Does this mean that they are functioning but with no messages added in four years?

Is this something that should be 'fixed' (eg: converted to pmm/pmi)?

Edit:  I took a look in hierarch and see a that both Unix style folders have a duplicately named regular folder as per below. 

0,0,"KB8HBMM5:2793:FOL0262B","7DC64656:My mailbox","FolderName"
0,0,"KMDKWXCV:2793:UNX05DA4","7DC64656:My mailbox","FolderName"

<p>I have a Pmail user who has two Unix style folders in her mailbox directory.  Can anyone tell me how they might have come into existence?  She's running a multi-user network-shared Pegasus Mail with mailboxes on a server. </p><p>Also, the .MBX files are date-stamped 4 years ago but the associated .PMG & .PNM files are date stamped yesterday.  Does this mean that they are functioning but with no messages added in four years?</p><p>Is this something that should be 'fixed' (eg: converted to pmm/pmi)?</p><p>Edit:  I took a look in hierarch and see a that both Unix style folders have a duplicately named regular folder as per below.  </p><p>0,0,"KB8HBMM5:2793:FOL0262B","7DC64656:My mailbox","FolderName" 0,0,"KMDKWXCV:2793:UNX05DA4","7DC64656:My mailbox","FolderName" </p>

Brian,

All I know about Unix Mailbox file format is that they should be avoid for daily use, though they are useful to import/export data between different clients. Maybe those that you found came from an alien client. I remember to use this feature to import mailboxes from an Eudora client (I think). Anyway, as advised by Pegasus Mail Help, it is good policy to change them to the native (PMM/PMI) format.

<p>Brian, </p><p>All I know about Unix Mailbox file format is that they should be avoid for daily use, though they are useful to import/export data between different clients. Maybe those that you found came from an alien client. I remember to use this feature to import mailboxes from an Eudora client (I think). Anyway, as advised by Pegasus Mail Help, it is good policy to change them to the native (PMM/PMI) format. </p>

-- Euler

Pegasus Mail 4.81.1154 Windows 7 Ultimate
IERenderer: 2.7.1.5 AttachMenu: 1.0.1.2
PMDebug: 2.5.8.34 BearHTML 4.9.9.6

This user is not tech savvy so it's a mystery to me how they might have been created.  The fact that there are also the same pmm/pmi folders had me wondering if they were the result of an attempted export but I don't see that as an option.

The Unix style folders must be getting read and indexed based on the file timestamps and there haven't been any complaints about malfunctions.  I'm baffled.

I don't know whether starting an instance of PMail as that user and looking at the folder list will reveal anything but I may give it a try.

<p>This user is not tech savvy so it's a mystery to me how they might have been created.  The fact that there are also the same pmm/pmi folders had me wondering if they were the result of an attempted export but I don't see that as an option.</p><p>The Unix style folders must be getting read and indexed based on the file timestamps and there haven't been any complaints about malfunctions.  I'm baffled.</p><p>I don't know whether starting an instance of PMail as that user and looking at the folder list will reveal anything but I may give it a try. </p>

To answer my own question, no they are not. I seem to recall that they have the extension mai.

In answer to the original question Pmail certainly has the capacity to create .mbx folders as can be seen from the add folders drop down box.

I assume that this capability is there to facilitate import/export.

<p>To answer my own question, no they are not. I seem to recall that they have the extension mai.</p><p>In answer to the original question Pmail certainly has the capacity to create .mbx folders as can be seen from the add folders drop down box.</p><p>I assume that this capability is there to facilitate import/export. </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft