Community Discussions and Support
Question about IMAP and POP3 functions

Thanks.  I'm not sure what version of Mercury he's using, but it should be fairly recent.

<P>Thanks.  I'm not sure what version of Mercury he's using, but it should be fairly recent.</P>

A friend and I are sharing a single server to handle email and web sites for our personal use.  He setup the email server and has been using POP3 for quite some time now with no problems.  My question is:  Can a single instance of the Mercury Email server run POP3 and IMAP both?  I would really prefer to use IMAP because of some issues I'm having, but he's letting me use the server as a favor (he pays for it), so I can't really ask him to change his email preferences.  Is this possible? 

Thanks,

Grant

<P>A friend and I are sharing a single server to handle email and web sites for our personal use.  He setup the email server and has been using POP3 for quite some time now with no problems.  My question is:  Can a single instance of the Mercury Email server run POP3 and IMAP both?  I would really prefer to use IMAP because of some issues I'm having, but he's letting me use the server as a favor (he pays for it), so I can't really ask him to change his email preferences.  Is this possible? </P> <P>Thanks,</P> <P>Grant</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

[quote user="Grant"]

A friend and I are sharing a single server to handle email and web sites for our personal use.  He setup the email server and has been using POP3 for quite some time now with no problems.  My question is:  Can a single instance of the Mercury Email server run POP3 and IMAP both?  I would really prefer to use IMAP because of some issues I'm having, but he's letting me use the server as a favor (he pays for it), so I can't really ask him to change his email preferences.  Is this possible? 

Thanks,

Grant[/quote]

Sure is possible.  All you have to do is turn on the IMAP4 server.  This assumes that the email server in question has the capability to do IMAP4, not all do.

[quote user="Grant"]<p>A friend and I are sharing a single server to handle email and web sites for our personal use.  He setup the email server and has been using POP3 for quite some time now with no problems.  My question is:  Can a single instance of the Mercury Email server run POP3 and IMAP both?  I would really prefer to use IMAP because of some issues I'm having, but he's letting me use the server as a favor (he pays for it), so I can't really ask him to change his email preferences.  Is this possible? </p> <p>Thanks,</p> <p>Grant[/quote]</p><p>Sure is possible.  All you have to do is turn on the IMAP4 server.  This assumes that the email server in question has the capability to do IMAP4, not all do.</p><p> </p><p> </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft