Pegasus Mail Suggestions
How to fix the error when the mail message tray/folder hits the 2GB limit

Well it printed to PDF when I changed the printer to the MS PDF printer.  However the output is not even in formatted columns so when you copy and paste to libre office write it is all over the place so I would literally have to reformat almost all of it by hand to then put it in a table and sort it.  So at this point I am giving up on it.  I can at least see the names of the folders corresponding to the largest folders in the file directory on screen so that is helpful.  This program however needs a lot of work just to work as it's text file instructions claim it does.  Lack of opening up standard windows dialogs for saving and printing is pretty rough edged. 

Thanks 

<p>Well it printed to PDF when I changed the printer to the MS PDF printer.  However the output is not even in formatted columns so when you copy and paste to libre office write it is all over the place so I would literally have to reformat almost all of it by hand to then put it in a table and sort it.  So at this point I am giving up on it.  I can at least see the names of the folders corresponding to the largest folders in the file directory on screen so that is helpful.  This program however needs a lot of work just to work as it's text file instructions claim it does.  Lack of opening up standard windows dialogs for saving and printing is pretty rough edged.<span style="font-size: 10pt;"> </span></p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Thanks </span></p>

Currently what happens when the message tray/folder hits the 2gb limit a message pops up warning  you that the 2gb limit has been hit, and all you can do is hit OK and then if another message gets filtered into that folder it gives you another message that you have to hit "ok" to bypass and so on.  This repeats every time another message is to be added.  If you have thousands of emails to sort every day then this could take hours to go through.   My solve to this would be at the moment of the first warning (and preferably a few 100meg before this)  - pegasus automatically makes a message folder with the same name except with a serial number after it (so if  you have say bookcovers then the next tray would be bookcovers1 and the next bookcovers2 and so on) changing the mail filtering rule to the new tray/folder name and then new messages would simply be filtered into the new folder until it too became too big and the sequence would repeat.  The new warning would pop up a warning box that would not impede the filtering process as it needs to go on and just notify the user when they come back to their computer that the new folder has been created because the old folder was growing too large and that it has not been deleted but you may want to look and see if there is anything in the folder that could be deleted and the new folder will have the new autofiltering results sent to it in the future until it too becomes too large.  As it is now there is no good way to continue when this error occurs except to babysit the mail and then basically delete or rename the offending folder since you can't do anything with it inside of Pegasus and this is not very user friendly.  I don't think this would take that much programming to do - and since this is a very serious usability problem that I unfortunately have ran into a couple of times, I hope this suggestion will be implemented quickly with possibly a new very minor release number.    

Currently what happens when the message tray/folder hits the 2gb limit a message pops up warning  you that the 2gb limit has been hit, and all you can do is hit OK and then if another message gets filtered into that folder it gives you another message that you have to hit "ok" to bypass and so on.  This repeats every time another message is to be added.  If you have thousands of emails to sort every day then this could take hours to go through.   My solve to this would be at the moment of the first warning (and preferably a few 100meg before this)  - pegasus automatically makes a message folder with the same name except with a serial number after it (so if  you have say bookcovers then the next tray would be bookcovers1 and the next bookcovers2 and so on) changing the mail filtering rule to the new tray/folder name and then new messages would simply be filtered into the new folder until it too became too big and the sequence would repeat.  The new warning would pop up a warning box that would not impede the filtering process as it needs to go on and just notify the user when they come back to their computer that the new folder has been created because the old folder was growing too large and that it has not been deleted but you may want to look and see if there is anything in the folder that could be deleted and the new folder will have the new autofiltering results sent to it in the future until it too becomes too large.  As it is now there is no good way to continue when this error occurs except to babysit the mail and then basically delete or rename the offending folder since you can't do anything with it inside of Pegasus and this is not very user friendly.  I don't think this would take that much programming to do - and since this is a very serious usability problem that I unfortunately have ran into a couple of times, I hope this suggestion will be implemented quickly with possibly a new very minor release number.    

While it does not fix your problem, FolderREP can help you detect a critical point in the growth of folders. It can be retrieved from http://community.pmail.com/files/folders/utils/entry52306.aspx

One way to work on your problem with existing folders is to set up a general rule to Move messages by date range or size size to new folders with the types of folder names that keep messages together and can be stored in Trays.

Martin

<p>While it does not fix your problem, FolderREP can help you detect a critical point in the growth of folders. It can be retrieved from http://community.pmail.com/files/folders/utils/entry52306.aspx</p><p>One way to work on your problem with existing folders is to set up a general rule to Move messages by date range or size size to new folders with the types of folder names that keep messages together and can be stored in Trays.</p><p>Martin </p>

Martin,

Thank you for the link to this program.   As someone that is pretty handy with computers having used them since before MSDOS, I understand how to use the program.  Most casual users of Pegasus Mail will be absolutely lost and overwhelmed at the use of this program.  That is why I suggested the fix that I did because it is fairly user friendly and you don't have to really do anything - Pegasus would just automagically do it for you and problem is solved.  I can't imagine this would be that hard to program.  When  you change the name of a folder the pointers to it already change - you would just have to have the program create another folder and then make it so the error occurs sooner at a lower file size change any filters to that new folder.   Hour or two at best - and would solve one of the biggest user friendliness problems that the program has.  The way Pegasus Mail handles the problem now is clunky and not user friendly.  It really makes the program seem dated/old.  

Thanks

Tiger 

<p>Martin,</p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Thank you for the link to this program.   As someone that is pretty handy with computers having used them since before MSDOS, I understand how to use the program.  Most casual users of Pegasus Mail will be absolutely lost and overwhelmed at the use of this program.  That is why I suggested the fix that I did because it is fairly user friendly and you don't have to really do anything - Pegasus would just automagically do it for you and problem is solved.  I can't imagine this would be that hard to program.  When  you change the name of a folder the pointers to it already change - you would just have to have the program create another folder and then make it so the error occurs sooner at a lower file size change any filters to that new folder.   Hour or two at best - and would solve one of the biggest user friendliness problems that the program has.  The way Pegasus Mail handles the problem now is clunky and not user friendly.  It really makes the program seem dated/old.  </span></p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Thanks</span></p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">Tiger </span></p>

Well that program is not really all it is cracked up to be.   So it ran - gave me a list of folders that are not in any sort of order.  When you hit the save button - nothing happens.  No files are written that I can find and no dialog box opens to give you any sort of options of what type of file to save, what to name it, or where.   If you hit the print button much the same happens except it starts printing to whatever windows says is the primary printer to print to - which in my case happened to be a color printer instead of being able to print to a pdf file.  If you highlight the results on the screen - you cannot copy and then paste them to another file.  So you are left with being able to see unsorted information on the screen.  While not a total waste - certainly not what I expected - and most end users would just give up on it.  I am going to print something to the pdf printer and then see if I can cut and paste from the resulting pdf but that is the only way I can see to get the data over into a program that it can be sorted in.  Again - my suggestion for a fix for this seems far more rational than going through all of this.  

Thanks 

<p>Well that program is not really all it is cracked up to be.   So it ran - gave me a list of folders that are not in any sort of order.  When you hit the save button - nothing happens.  No files are written that I can find and no dialog box opens to give you any sort of options of what type of file to save, what to name it, or where.   If you hit the print button much the same happens except it starts printing to whatever windows says is the primary printer to print to - which in my case happened to be a color printer instead of being able to print to a pdf file.  If you highlight the results on the screen - you cannot copy and then paste them to another file.  So you are left with being able to see unsorted information on the screen.  While not a total waste - certainly not what I expected - and most end users would just give up on it.  I am going to print something to the pdf printer and then see if I can cut and paste from the resulting pdf but that is the only way I can see to get the data over into a program that it can be sorted in.  Again - my suggestion for a fix for this seems far more rational than going through all of this.  </p><p>Thanks </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft