Community Discussions and Support
> The quote back marks

[quote user="Joerg"]

When composing an email or answering thereto, simply mark the text section you would like to color, choose "set text color" from the icon menu bar (located between the address/subject area of your mail window and your email text) and that's it. And of course, you could set different colors for consecutive replies.

See my screenshot

[/quote]

But I'd have to do that for every email? No automatic way to set them? My business has me doing maybe 500 emails a month. :-) 

Oh wait, it's not as complicated as I thought. Wonder if I can set that up with custom colors?

[quote user="Joerg"]<p>When composing an email or answering thereto, simply mark the text section you would like to color, choose "set text color" from the icon menu bar (located between the address/subject area of your mail window and your email text) and that's it. And of course, you could set different colors for consecutive replies.</p><p><a mce_href="https://marsig-exchange.de/s/akLNd7Kom7jBYJD" title="See my screenshot" href="https://marsig-exchange.de/s/akLNd7Kom7jBYJD">See my screenshot</a> </p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">[/quote]</span></p><p> But I'd have to do that for every email? No automatic way to set them? My business has me doing maybe 500 emails a month. :-)<span style="font-size: 10pt;"> </span></p><p>Oh wait, it's not as complicated as I thought. Wonder if I can set that up with custom colors?</p><p> </p>

I've been using these forever in Pmail, but now we seem to have a new generation that has no idea what they are, and if I reply below their quoted text, they never even read down the page to see it. They expect to see replies on top.

I guess I should quote using the > quoted sections, but that would make it even more confusing to ME.

<p>I've been using these forever in Pmail, but now we seem to have a new generation that has no idea what they are, and if I reply below their quoted text, they never even read down the page to see it. They expect to see replies on top.</p><p>I guess I should quote using the > quoted sections, but that would make it even more confusing to ME.</p>

I'm a "bottom-post" guy but there's a saying about "not swimming against the stream." I'd create an Identity with For replies, place the cursor on an initial blank line and If also inserting a signature, insert it just below the blank line ticked, and so make the modern people happy.

I'm a "bottom-post" guy but there's a saying about "not swimming against the stream." I'd create an Identity with <u>For replies, place the cursor on an initial blank line</u> and <u>If also inserting a signature, insert it just below the blank line</u> ticked, and so make the <i>modern</i> people happy.

-- Euler

Pegasus Mail 4.81.1154 Windows 7 Ultimate
IERenderer: 2.7.1.5 AttachMenu: 1.0.1.2
PMDebug: 2.5.8.34 BearHTML 4.9.9.6

[quote user="Euler GERMAN"]I'm a "bottom-post" guy but there's a saying about "not swimming against the stream." I'd create an Identity with For replies, place the cursor on an initial blank line and If also inserting a signature, insert it just below the blank line ticked, and so make the modern people happy.
[/quote]

Not clear on what you're saying Euler.  I need to keep my business identity for everything, or it gets crazy.

<p>[quote user="Euler GERMAN"]I'm a "bottom-post" guy but there's a saying about "not swimming against the stream." I'd create an Identity with <u>For replies, place the cursor on an initial blank line</u> and <u>If also inserting a signature, insert it just below the blank line</u> ticked, and so make the <i>modern</i> people happy. [/quote]</p><p> Not clear on what you're saying Euler.  I need to keep my business identity for everything, or it gets crazy.</p>

Euler means that it's your choice how to adjust Pmail. You could do it the oldschool way or "modern way". Go to Settings | Outgoing Messages | Messages and Answers. Here you could adjust Pmail's behaviour when answering to an email. In my case, when answering I let the cursor set above the original message and my signature directly below the empty line with the cursor:

| - cursor at first line for typing your answer

----- my signature -----------

> original message

Additionally, when clicking the Answer Button of an email, an additional option windows appear each time. Therein you could lay down whether Pmail should use the quotation sign ">" for marking the orignal message or not. I don't like these > signs at the beginning of each line. That's why I don't use it.

All in all it works fine with us since years.

<p>Euler means that it's your choice how to adjust Pmail. You could do it the oldschool way or "modern way". Go to <b>Settings | Outgoing Messages | Messages and Answers</b>. Here you could adjust Pmail's behaviour when answering to an email. In my case, when answering I let the cursor set above the original message and my signature directly below the empty line with the cursor:</p><p><b>| - cursor at first line for typing your answer </b></p><p><b>----- my signature -----------</b></p><p><b>> original message</b></p><p>Additionally, when clicking the Answer Button of an email, an additional option windows appear each time. Therein you could lay down whether Pmail should use the quotation sign ">" for marking the orignal message or not. I don't like these > signs at the beginning of each line. That's why I don't use it.</p><p>All in all it works fine with us since years. </p>

An important thing to understand that will make Eulers' response make sense is that Identities can range from being identical to being dramatically different.  It is possible to have two Identities that are the same with the exception a single configuration setting, like For replies, place the cursor on an initial blank line.

I try to accommodate my audience especially if they are a client, less so when I am their client.  Some folks are top-posters.  I can do that although it isn't my preference.  Avoiding issues with embedding responses between quoted text can be done by starting the messages with something like "See my responses embedded below".   I use this a lot when I don't know my audience preferences/capabilities.

Personally, I can't imagine corresponding without the > identifying quoted content, and the >> identifying quoted, quoted content.  Its time to snip when it gets to >>> though.

<p>An important thing to understand that will make Eulers' response make sense is that Identities can range from being identical to being dramatically different.  It is possible to have two Identities that are the same with the exception a single configuration setting, like <i>For replies, place the cursor on an initial blank line</i>. </p><p>I try to accommodate my audience especially if they are a client, less so when I am their client.  Some folks are top-posters.  I can do that although it isn't my preference.  Avoiding issues with embedding responses between quoted text can be done by starting the messages with something like "See my responses embedded below".   I use this a lot when I don't know my audience preferences/capabilities. </p><p>Personally, I can't imagine corresponding without the > identifying quoted content, and the >> identifying quoted, quoted content.  Its time to snip when it gets to >>> though. </p>

[quote user="Joerg"]

Euler means that it's your choice how to adjust Pmail. You could do it the oldschool way or "modern way". Go to Settings | Outgoing Messages | Messages and Answers. Here you could adjust Pmail's behaviour when answering to an email. In my case, when answering I let the cursor set above the original message and my signature directly below the empty line with the cursor:

| - cursor at first line for typing your answer

----- my signature -----------

> original message

Additionally, when clicking the Answer Button of an email, an additional option windows appear each time. Therein you could lay down whether Pmail should use the quotation sign ">" for marking the orignal message or not. I don't like these > signs at the beginning of each line. That's why I don't use it.

All in all it works fine with us since years.

[/quote]

Ah ok, so for most people - not familiar with Pegasus, just put the reply at the top. The problem is that I intersperse my reply lines with their quotes:

> They said

I reply

>The said

I reply.

What I've been using, is this line at the top: See our reply below. 

It seems to be helping, but some people still don't get it.  :-)

[quote user="Joerg"]<p>Euler means that it's your choice how to adjust Pmail. You could do it the oldschool way or "modern way". Go to <b>Settings | Outgoing Messages | Messages and Answers</b>. Here you could adjust Pmail's behaviour when answering to an email. In my case, when answering I let the cursor set above the original message and my signature directly below the empty line with the cursor:</p><p><b>| - cursor at first line for typing your answer </b></p><p><b>----- my signature -----------</b></p><p><b>> original message</b></p><p>Additionally, when clicking the Answer Button of an email, an additional option windows appear each time. Therein you could lay down whether Pmail should use the quotation sign ">" for marking the orignal message or not. I don't like these > signs at the beginning of each line. That's why I don't use it.</p><p>All in all it works fine with us since years. </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>Ah ok, so for most people - not familiar with Pegasus, just put the reply at the top. The problem is that I intersperse my reply lines with their quotes:</p><p> > They said</p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">I reply</span></p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">>The said</span></p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">I reply.</span></p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">What I've been using, is this line at the top: </span>See our reply below. </p><p> It seems to be helping, but some people still don't get it. <span style="font-size: 10pt;"> :-)</span></p><p> </p><p> </p>

[quote user="Melissa2011B"]

Ah ok, so for most people - not familiar with Pegasus, just put the reply at the top. The problem is that I intersperse my reply lines with their quotes:

> They said

I reply

>The said

I reply.

It seems to be helping, but some people still don't get it.  :-)[/quote]

Indeed that's a good solution. We are using it nearly at the same way when directly answering to different sections of the original mail. Additionally I mark my note "See my reply below in red" and my remarks in between of the original mail also in red (as far as sending html formatted mails). An additional color draws more attention to it.

[quote user="Melissa2011B"]<p>Ah ok, so for most people - not familiar with Pegasus, just put the reply at the top. The problem is that I intersperse my reply lines with their quotes:</p><p> > They said</p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">I reply</span></p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">>The said</span></p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">I reply.</span></p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">What I've been using, is this line at the top: </span>See our reply below. </p><p> It seems to be helping, but some people still don't get it. <span style="font-size: 10pt;"> :-)</span><span style="font-size: 10pt;">[/quote]</span></p><p>Indeed that's a good solution. We are using it nearly at the same way when directly answering to different sections of the original mail. Additionally I mark my note "See my reply below in red" and my remarks in between of the original mail also in red (as far as sending html formatted mails). An additional color draws more attention to it.</p>

[quote user="Joerg"][quote user="Melissa2011B"]

> They said

I reply

>The said

I reply.

It seems to be helping, but some people still don't get it.  :-)[/quote]

Indeed that's a good solution. We are using it nearly at the same way when directly answering to different sections of the original mail. Additionally I mark my note "See my reply below in red" and my remarks in between of the original mail also in red (as far as sending html formatted mails). An additional color draws more attention to it.

[/quote]

Oh wow! That's fantastic! How can i set all reply text to be a RGB color?! And can you set each consecutive reply to be another unique color? Thank you Joerg!!! 

[quote user="Joerg"][quote user="Melissa2011B"]<p>Ah ok, so for most people - not familiar with Pegasus, just put the reply at the top. The problem is that I intersperse my reply lines with their quotes:</p><p> > They said</p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">I reply</span></p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">>The said</span></p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">I reply.</span></p><p><span style="font-size: 10pt;">What I've been using, is this line at the top: </span>See our reply below. </p><p> It seems to be helping, but some people still don't get it. <span style="font-size: 10pt;"> :-)</span><span style="font-size: 10pt;">[/quote]</span></p><p>Indeed that's a good solution. We are using it nearly at the same way when directly answering to different sections of the original mail. Additionally I mark my note "See my reply below in red" and my remarks in between of the original mail also in red (as far as sending html formatted mails). An additional color draws more attention to it.</p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>Oh wow! That's fantastic! How can i set all reply text to be a RGB color?! And can you set each consecutive reply to be another unique color? Thank you Joerg!!! </p>

When composing an email or answering thereto, simply mark the text section you would like to color, choose "set text color" from the icon menu bar (located between the address/subject area of your mail window and your email text) and that's it. And of course, you could set different colors for consecutive replies.

See my screenshot

<p>When composing an email or answering thereto, simply mark the text section you would like to color, choose "set text color" from the icon menu bar (located between the address/subject area of your mail window and your email text) and that's it. And of course, you could set different colors for consecutive replies.</p><p><a mce_href="https://marsig-exchange.de/s/akLNd7Kom7jBYJD" title="See my screenshot" href="https://marsig-exchange.de/s/akLNd7Kom7jBYJD">See my screenshot</a> </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft