Community Discussions and Support
Default Screen Position Startup..

[quote user="Joerg"]

We are also using option 2 and I don't know any other "default monitor" solutions. Other programs are starting within the main screen as soon as the second monitor has been removed. But don't know whether this is a Windows task or program task to discover available screen areas.

[/quote]

So far Pegasus is the only program I have that insists on opening in the absolute place where it last was located, even if that location doesn't exist any more (but obviously there are others out there). Everything else will open in a relative screen location. I've got a vague recollection there is (was?) a setting in one of the config files Dave mentioned years ago that switched opening from absolute to relative screen position -  that required a manual edit ("hack") - but if it wasn't obscure then, it is (to me) now. 

Possibly related is the fact that other windows (spell check, for example) pops up on the extreme left of my main monitor, in fact, half off the screen - I have to drag it back onto the screen to click "Start Check" - if I'm using two monitors in extended configuration and Pegasus is on the right (extended) monitor (move it back to the main monitor and it's fine). And, most notifications ("no waiting messages" message status if using selective mail download, for example) pop up in the main monitor regardless of where Pegasus main window is (however, if there are messages to list, that opens wherever the application window is located). 

Perhaps the best (easiest) solution is just to run Pegagus in the Main (default) monitor - relative/absolute screen locations were originally coded back before extended monitors were "popular", and moving Pegasus off onto the extended 2nd monitor really confuses it. 

[quote user="Joerg"]<p>We are also using option 2 and I don't know any other "default monitor" solutions. Other programs are starting within the main screen as soon as the second monitor has been removed. But don't know whether this is a Windows task or program task to discover available screen areas. </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>So far Pegasus is the only program I have that insists on opening in the absolute place where it last was located, even if that location doesn't exist any more (but obviously there are others out there). Everything else will open in a relative screen location. I've got a vague recollection there is (was?) a setting in one of the config files Dave mentioned years ago that switched opening from absolute to relative screen position -  that required a manual edit ("hack") - but if it wasn't obscure then, it is (to me) now. </p><p>Possibly related is the fact that other windows (spell check, for example) pops up on the extreme left of my main monitor, in fact, half off the screen - I have to drag it back onto the screen to click "Start Check" - if I'm using two monitors in extended configuration and Pegasus is on the right (extended) monitor (move it back to the main monitor and it's fine). And, most notifications ("no waiting messages" message status if using selective mail download, for example) pop up in the main monitor regardless of where Pegasus main window is (however, if there are messages to list, that opens wherever the application window is located). </p><p>Perhaps the best (easiest) solution is just to run Pegagus in the Main (default) monitor - relative/absolute screen locations were originally coded back before extended monitors were "popular", and moving Pegasus off onto the extended 2nd monitor really confuses it.      </p>

I have dual monitors for both my desktop and laptop, and when I need to go on the road, I merely copy my entire Pegasus mail program from the desktop to the laptop (and reverse when I return). Since both computers drives are configured identically, and Pegasus is running on the same drive and folder structure on both computers, this is convenient. Almost..

I typically have Pegasus open on the "extended" monitor, but when I shut down and restart, I want Pegasus to start in the main (default)  monitor, not where it was last open. I don't always remember to move Pegasus back to the default monitor before shutting down.

I don't always have the extended monitor running on the laptop, and it's really a pain when Pegasus opens on a monitor that "isn't there". I've not found the configuration option (I'm sure there is one), that ignores the last screen position used when starting up, and opens in a default location (my "main" monitor). It's not the "Save the Pegasus Mail Desktop state between sessions" option in the General Settings/Basic Settings, or at least, leaving that unchecked (in all identities) brings me no joy in this regard. Wherever Pegasus is running when it is closed is where it starts back up again.

I searched the community forum, but did not locate the answer (pretty sure it's there somewhere), but I'm looking for a needle in a needle stack.. :-)

<p>I have dual monitors for both my desktop and laptop, and when I need to go on the road, I merely copy my entire Pegasus mail program from the desktop to the laptop (and reverse when I return). Since both computers drives are configured identically, and Pegasus is running on the same drive and folder structure on both computers, this is convenient. Almost.. </p><p>I typically have Pegasus open on the "extended" monitor, but when I shut down and restart, I want Pegasus to start in the main (default)  monitor, not where it was last open. I don't always remember to move Pegasus back to the default monitor before shutting down. </p><p>I don't always have the extended monitor running on the laptop, and it's really a pain when Pegasus opens on a monitor that "isn't there". I've not found the configuration option (I'm sure there is one), that ignores the last screen position used when starting up, and opens in a default location (my "main" monitor). It's not the "Save the Pegasus Mail Desktop state between sessions" option in the General Settings/Basic Settings, or at least, leaving that unchecked (in all identities) brings me no joy in this regard. Wherever Pegasus is running when it is closed is where it starts back up again.</p><p>I searched the community forum, but did not locate the answer (pretty sure it's there somewhere), but I'm looking for a needle in a needle stack.. :-) </p><p>OS: Windows 10, Pegasus v 4.73 </p>

For the record, there are two OS-based solutions for this problem:

1 -  Right-click on the Taskbar and select one of the window

arrangement settings, like “Cascade windows” or “Show windows stacked.” to get the off-screen programs displayed on the main screen so they can be relocated, or..

2 - Select ALT+Tab (or click the task-bar icon) and make the Pegasus window "active", then shift+right-click the icon and select move.. the cursor will change to a move cursor, and you can use the arrow keys to then move the window. (An alternative is to just tap an arrow key and then move the cursor slightly on your active monitor and the window will pop onto that monitor).

Problem - invariably, I'll never remember this when, say 6 months from now, I'm again faced with the issue (I'm an old guy, born with 640K of memory - to remember this I have to forget something else first, and I've done too much of that already). Best option for me is if Pegasus just opens in the default (main) monitor every time it starts.

<p>For the record, there are two OS-based solutions for this problem:</p><p>1 -  Right-click on the Taskbar and select one of the window arrangement settings, like “Cascade windows” or “Show windows stacked.” to get the off-screen programs displayed on the main screen so they can be relocated, or..</p><p>2 - Select ALT+Tab (or click the task-bar icon) and make the Pegasus window "active", then shift+right-click the icon and select move.. the cursor will change to a move cursor, and you can use the arrow keys to then move the window. (An alternative is to just tap an arrow key and then move the cursor slightly on your active monitor and the window will pop onto that monitor).</p><p>Problem - invariably, I'll never remember this when, say 6 months from now, I'm again faced with the issue (I'm an old guy, born with 640K of memory - to remember this I have to forget something else first, and I've done too much of that already). Best option for me is if Pegasus just opens in the default (main) monitor every time it starts. </p><p> </p><p> </p>

[quote user="Steeley"]Problem - invariably, I'll never remember this when, say 6 months from

now, I'm again faced with the issue (I'm an old guy, born with 640K of

memory - to remember this I have to forget something else first, and

I've done too much of that already). Best option for me is if Pegasus

just opens in the default (main) monitor every time it starts.[/quote]

[:D]  I know this. But default opening Pmail at the main monitor would exempt your brain from thinking about possible solutions. Insofar its a feature for "old guys". [H]

[quote user="Steeley"]2 - Select ALT+Tab (or click the task-bar icon) and make the Pegasus window "active", then shift+right-click the icon and select move.. the cursor will change to a move cursor, and you can use the arrow keys to then move the window. (An alternative is to just tap an arrow key and then move the cursor slightly on your active monitor and the window will pop onto that monitor).[/quote]

We are also using option 2 and I don't know any other "default monitor" solutions. Other programs are starting within the main screen as soon as the second monitor has been removed. But don't know whether this is a Windows task or program task to discover available screen areas.

<p>[quote user="Steeley"]Problem - invariably, I'll never remember this when, say 6 months from now, I'm again faced with the issue (I'm an old guy, born with 640K of memory - to remember this I have to forget something else first, and I've done too much of that already). Best option for me is if Pegasus just opens in the default (main) monitor every time it starts.[/quote]</p><p>[:D]  I know this. But default opening Pmail at the main monitor would exempt your brain from thinking about possible solutions. Insofar its a feature for "old guys". [H] </p><p>[quote user="Steeley"]2 - Select ALT+Tab (or click the task-bar icon) and make the Pegasus window "active", then shift+right-click the icon and select move.. the cursor will change to a move cursor, and you can use the arrow keys to then move the window. (An alternative is to just tap an arrow key and then move the cursor slightly on your active monitor and the window will pop onto that monitor).[/quote]</p><p>We are also using option 2 and I don't know any other "default monitor" solutions. Other programs are starting within the main screen as soon as the second monitor has been removed. But don't know whether this is a Windows task or program task to discover available screen areas. </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft