Community Discussions and Support
Pop3 from Gmail ceased working

[quote user="c.haslam"]

Having thought further overnight, it appears that there is one case I did not test.

There are two variables: 4.73 yes/no and Less secure access On/Off

I did not test  4.73 with Less secure access Off

[/quote]

I think it is a given that it won't work when the allow less secure apps option is off.   That has been known for awhile. 

The new twist is that it worked after updating Pmail.  I take this as a clue that points to an old version of OpenSSL as being a problem.

[quote user="c.haslam"]<p>Having thought further overnight, it appears that there is one case I did not test.</p><p> There are two variables: 4.73 yes/no and Less secure access On/Off </p><p>I did not test  4.73 with Less secure access Off </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>I think it is a given that it won't work when the allow less secure apps option is off.   That has been known for awhile.  </p><p>The new twist is that it worked after updating Pmail.  I take this as a clue that points to an old version of OpenSSL as being a problem. </p>

On May 11, receiving email from Gmail ceased. I know that there is email for me on Gmail: my browser shows it, as does my iPad.

The error message is  "Host claims either the name or password you have supplied is invalid".

I changed the password some months back.

To avoid messing up the existing POP3 definition, I created a new one, using the settings  from the Gmail settings that used to work:

General

Server host name: pop.gmail.com

User name: <<what I see in my browser when showing Gmail account>>

Password: << the one used to login in in my browser >> ,<<Also tried the old password>>

Server TCP/IP port: 995

Timeout: 30 seconds

Security

Via direct SSL connect

All check boxes are unchecked

APOP shared secret is not filled in

Security

Unchanged from defaults

I would appreciate some help.

SMTP, to my ISP, is working OK

&lt;p&gt;On May 11, receiving email from Gmail ceased. I know that there is email for me on Gmail: my browser shows it, as does my iPad. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;The error message is&amp;nbsp; &quot;Host claims either the name or password you have supplied is invalid&quot;.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I changed the password some months back. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;To avoid messing up the existing POP3 definition, I created a new one, using the settings&amp;nbsp; from the Gmail settings that used to work:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;u&gt;General&lt;/u&gt; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;Server host name: pop.gmail.com&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;User name: &amp;lt;&amp;lt;what I see in my browser when showing Gmail account&amp;gt;&amp;gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Password: &amp;lt;&amp;lt; the one used to login in in my browser &amp;gt;&amp;gt; ,&amp;lt;&amp;lt;Also tried the old password&amp;gt;&amp;gt; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Server TCP/IP port: 995&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Timeout: 30 seconds &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;u&gt;Security&lt;/u&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Via direct SSL connect&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;i&gt;All check boxes are unchecked&lt;/i&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;i&gt;APOP shared secret is not filled in&lt;/i&gt; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;u&gt;Security&lt;/u&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;i&gt;Unchanged from defaults&lt;/i&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;I would appreciate some help. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;SMTP, to my ISP, is working OK &lt;/p&gt;

Known issue if you are running an older version of Pegasus Mail.  An updated version of OpenSSL solves the problem and is in Pegasus Mail v4.73.

Known issue if you are running an older version of Pegasus Mail.&amp;nbsp; An updated version of OpenSSL solves the problem and is in Pegasus Mail v4.73.

Thanks, Brian

Will running the exe automatically update my current version, or is my help needed?

&lt;p&gt;Thanks, Brian&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Will running the exe automatically update my current version, or is my help needed? &lt;/p&gt;

Please ignore my post about upgrading.  I posted in the wrong discussion.  Sorry!

Please ignore my post about upgrading.&amp;nbsp; I posted in the wrong discussion.&amp;nbsp; Sorry!

It must be confusing handling multiple threads concurrently.

If the problem is not lack of Open SSL, what is the solution? Any ideas?

&lt;p&gt;It must be confusing handling multiple threads concurrently.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;If the problem is not lack of Open SSL, what is the solution? Any ideas? &lt;/p&gt;

I don't believe it is Open SSL although an update should be considered if you are running an old version of Pegasus Mail. 

We've seen similar reports of your Gmail issue and I don't know whether Open SSL is playing a part so I would certainly update Pegasus Mail to rule that out.  

What I think might be going on is that Google is beginning to ignore their "Allow less secure apps" option so you'll want to confirm that you still have it enabled.  If you do, then I believe you will need to go the app password route.  This is where Google provides you with a password that you then use with a specific program.  Google two factor authentication must be enabled in order to obtain an app password. 

An internet search of "gmail app password" will reveal the details.

&lt;p&gt;I don&#039;t believe it is Open SSL although an update should be considered if you are running an old version of Pegasus Mail.&amp;nbsp; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;We&#039;ve seen similar reports of your Gmail issue and I don&#039;t know whether Open SSL is playing a part so I would certainly update Pegasus Mail to rule that out. &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;What I think might be going on is that Google is beginning to ignore their &quot;Allow less secure apps&quot; option so you&#039;ll want to confirm that you still have it enabled.&amp;nbsp; If you do, then I believe you will need to go the app password route.&amp;nbsp; This is where Google provides you with a password that you then use with a specific program.&amp;nbsp; Google two factor authentication must be enabled in order to obtain an app password.&amp;nbsp; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;An internet search of &quot;gmail app password&quot; will reveal the details. &lt;/p&gt;

I downloaded and installed 4.73. The problem still exists:

2:42:24.278: --- 13 May 2020, 22:42:24.278 ---
22:42:24.278: Connect to 'pop.gmail.com', timeout 30 seconds.
22:42:26.462: [*] SSL/TLS session established
22:42:26.462: [*] ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256, TLSv1.2, Kx=ECDH, Au=RSA, Enc=AESGCM(128), Mac=AEAD
22:42:26.462: [*] Peer's certificate name is '/C=US/ST=California/L=Mountain View/O=Google LLC/CN=pop.gmail.com'.
22:42:26.462: >> +OK Gpop ready for requests from 184.162.117.92 i14mb78754489qvj
22:42:26.462: << USER haslam.chris
22:42:26.493: >> +OK send PASS
<< 0017 PASS XXXXXXXXXX
22:42:26.915: >> -ERR [AUTH] Username and password not accepted.

I will search for gmail app password

If you have other ideas ...

&lt;p&gt;I downloaded and installed 4.73. The problem still exists:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;2:42:24.278: --- 13 May 2020, 22:42:24.278 --- 22:42:24.278: Connect to &#039;pop.gmail.com&#039;, timeout 30 seconds. 22:42:26.462: [*] SSL/TLS session established 22:42:26.462: [*] ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256, TLSv1.2, Kx=ECDH, Au=RSA, Enc=AESGCM(128), Mac=AEAD 22:42:26.462: [*] Peer&#039;s certificate name is &#039;/C=US/ST=California/L=Mountain View/O=Google LLC/CN=pop.gmail.com&#039;. 22:42:26.462: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; +OK Gpop ready for requests from 184.162.117.92 i14mb78754489qvj 22:42:26.462: &amp;lt;&amp;lt; USER haslam.chris 22:42:26.493: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; +OK send PASS &amp;lt;&amp;lt; 0017 PASS XXXXXXXXXX 22:42:26.915: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; -ERR [AUTH] Username and password not accepted. &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I will search for gmail app password&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;If you have other ideas ... &lt;/p&gt;

I am wondering whether a easy/easier solution would be to have Gmail forward email to an account on my ISP.

I do not want to change my email address.

&lt;p&gt;I am wondering whether a easy/easier solution would be to have Gmail forward email to an account on my ISP.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I do not want to change my email address. &lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="c.haslam"]

I downloaded and installed 4.73. The problem still exists:

2:42:24.278: --- 13 May 2020, 22:42:24.278 ---
22:42:24.278: Connect to 'pop.gmail.com', timeout 30 seconds.
22:42:26.462: [*] SSL/TLS session established
22:42:26.462: [*] ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256, TLSv1.2, Kx=ECDH, Au=RSA, Enc=AESGCM(128), Mac=AEAD
22:42:26.462: [*] Peer's certificate name is '/C=US/ST=California/L=Mountain View/O=Google LLC/CN=pop.gmail.com'.
22:42:26.462: >> +OK Gpop ready for requests from 184.162.117.92 i14mb78754489qvj
22:42:26.462: << USER haslam.chris
22:42:26.493: >> +OK send PASS
<< 0017 PASS XXXXXXXXXX
22:42:26.915: >> -ERR [AUTH] Username and password not accepted.

I will search for gmail app password

If you have other ideas ...

[/quote]

For some reason Gmail is refusing your password. Maybe you should check your settings for this account. Below my settings for a working Gmail account.

[quote user=&quot;c.haslam&quot;]&lt;p&gt;I downloaded and installed 4.73. The problem still exists:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;2:42:24.278: --- 13 May 2020, 22:42:24.278 --- 22:42:24.278: Connect to &#039;pop.gmail.com&#039;, timeout 30 seconds. 22:42:26.462: [*] SSL/TLS session established 22:42:26.462: [*] ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256, TLSv1.2, Kx=ECDH, Au=RSA, Enc=AESGCM(128), Mac=AEAD 22:42:26.462: [*] Peer&#039;s certificate name is &#039;/C=US/ST=California/L=Mountain View/O=Google LLC/CN=pop.gmail.com&#039;. 22:42:26.462: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; +OK Gpop ready for requests from 184.162.117.92 i14mb78754489qvj 22:42:26.462: &amp;lt;&amp;lt; USER haslam.chris 22:42:26.493: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; +OK send PASS &amp;lt;&amp;lt; 0017 PASS XXXXXXXXXX 22:42:26.915: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; -ERR [AUTH] Username and password not accepted. &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I will search for gmail app password&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;If you have other ideas ... &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;For some reason Gmail is refusing your password. Maybe you should check your settings for this account. Below my settings for a working Gmail account. &lt;/p&gt;

-- Euler

Pegasus Mail 4.81.1154 Windows 7 Ultimate
IERenderer: 2.7.1.5 AttachMenu: 1.0.1.2
PMDebug: 2.5.8.34 BearHTML 4.9.9.6

[quote user="c.haslam"]

I am wondering whether a easy/easier solution would be to have Gmail forward email to an account on my ISP.

I do not want to change my email address.

[/quote]

One of my Gmail accounts stopped working because of the OAuth2 thing. It happened to be the one used with the PM-WIN list. I changed the list address to an Yahoo! account but that had (still has) a DMARC issue. So I opened a new account at GMX to which all traffic of the bogus Gmail account is forwarded. Of course I changed my PM-WIN list address to the new GMX account for more convenience, and have all messages sent to the bogus one conveniently on my Pegasus Mail client.

To make Gmail forward messages to any other account just open its Web interface, click the Settings icon (top-right), then Settings, Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab, and then add the forwarding address. I also keep a copy (archived) in my Gmail account. That shall do.

[quote user=&quot;c.haslam&quot;]&lt;p&gt;I am wondering whether a easy/easier solution would be to have Gmail forward email to an account on my ISP.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I do not want to change my email address. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;One of my Gmail accounts stopped working because of the OAuth2 thing. It happened to be the one used with the PM-WIN list. I changed the list address to an Yahoo! account but that had (still has) a DMARC issue. So I opened a new account at GMX to which all traffic of the bogus Gmail account is forwarded. Of course I changed my PM-WIN list address to the new GMX account for more convenience, and have all messages sent to the bogus one conveniently on my Pegasus Mail client.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;To make Gmail forward messages to any other account just open its Web interface, click the Settings icon (top-right), then Settings, Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab, and then add the forwarding address. I also keep a copy (archived) in my Gmail account. That shall do. &lt;/p&gt;

-- Euler

[quote user="Brian Fluet"]Euler,  Aren't you using an app password?
[/quote]

No Brian. When I read about it, either I found it too complicated or wasn't in a good mood. All but one of my accounts isn't working properly, and it is not of much importance, so I let i go. I'm getting too lazy while aging.

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;Brian Fluet&quot;]Euler,&amp;nbsp; Aren&#039;t you using an app password? [/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;No Brian. When I read about it, either I found it too complicated or wasn&#039;t in a good mood. All but one of my accounts isn&#039;t working properly, and it is not of much importance, so I let i go. I&#039;m getting too lazy while aging. &lt;/p&gt;

-- Euler

I sure would like to understand what is going on with the Gmail issue.  We know that Gmail connections fail with a bad username or password error when the "allow less secure apps" option is not enabled yet we've seen reports of the same failure when nothing has changed.

What I haven't yet seen is someone reporting back with how they resolved it.  The way I see it, the problem is either:

1. An incorrect username or password in the POP3 host configuration.

2. The "allow less secure apps" option is not enabled on Gmail.

3. Gmail is beginning to ignore the "allow less secure apps" option forcing two factor authentication and an app password.

FWIW, my Gmail POP3 is working with "allow less secure apps" enabled and no app password, at least for now.

&lt;p&gt;I sure would like to understand what is going on with the Gmail issue.&amp;nbsp; We know that Gmail connections fail with a bad username or password error when the &quot;allow less secure apps&quot; option is not enabled yet we&#039;ve seen reports of the same failure when nothing has changed.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;What I haven&#039;t yet seen is someone reporting back with how they resolved it.&amp;nbsp; The way I see it, the problem is either:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;1. An incorrect username or password in the POP3 host configuration.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;2. The &quot;allow less secure apps&quot; option is not enabled on Gmail.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;3. Gmail is beginning to ignore the &quot;allow less secure apps&quot; option forcing two factor authentication and an app password.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;FWIW, my Gmail POP3 is working with &quot;allow less secure apps&quot; enabled and no app password, at least for now. &lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="Brian Fluet"]

FWIW, my Gmail POP3 is working with "allow less secure apps" enabled and no app password, at least for now.

[/quote]

That's exactly my case but any of your points may apply. Gmail and Yahoo! (now Oath.com) seems to be the two preeminent providers to be addressed and I'm guessing it won't be that easy for David H. OAuth2 is not a standardized protocol but a bunch of security measures a provider thinks suitable. Take Gmail as an example: I have accounts that work fine out of the box, others that also work fine if I turn "allow less secure apps" option, accounts that partially work with "allow less secure apps" option (works on IMAP but not POP3), and it won't be long when some won't work at all. My strategy for those will be just forward message traffic to say GMX that is showing to be dependable and not a PITA.

The sad part of this story is naming the most secure mail client ever made a "less secure app". How dare them...

[quote user=&quot;Brian Fluet&quot;]&lt;p&gt;FWIW, my Gmail POP3 is working with &quot;allow less secure apps&quot; enabled and no app password, at least for now. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;That&#039;s exactly my case but any of your points may apply. Gmail and Yahoo! (now Oath.com) seems to be the two preeminent providers to be addressed and I&#039;m guessing it won&#039;t be that easy for David H. OAuth2 is not a standardized protocol but a bunch of security measures a provider thinks suitable. Take Gmail as an example: I have accounts that work fine out of the box, others that also work fine if I turn &quot;allow less secure apps&quot; option, accounts that partially work with &quot;allow less secure apps&quot; option (works on IMAP but not POP3), and it won&#039;t be long when some won&#039;t work at all. My strategy for those will be just forward message traffic to say GMX that is showing to be dependable and not a PITA.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;The sad part of this story is naming the most secure mail client ever made a &quot;less secure app&quot;. How dare them... &lt;/p&gt;

-- Euler

In Firefox > Gmail > Manage account > Security we changed Less secure access from Off to On.

On my PC, the one with 4.73 installed, emails downloaded.

On my wife's PC, with 4.7 installed, Pegasus reported invalid username or password.

So we have success, at least for now.

I will be updating my wife's Pegasus to 4.73.

---

I did find one difference between the Pegasus > Internet Options > Receiving > Edit > Security > Enable server certificate fingerprint tracking. Euler has it checked, with the field filled with characters. On our PCs, It is not checked. Do we need to make a change here?

&lt;p&gt;In Firefox &amp;gt; Gmail &amp;gt; Manage account &amp;gt; Security we changed Less secure access from Off to On.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;On my PC, the one with 4.73 installed, emails downloaded.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;On my wife&#039;s PC, with 4.7 installed, Pegasus reported invalid username or password.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;So we have success, at least for now. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I will be updating my wife&#039;s Pegasus to 4.73.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;---&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I did find one difference between the Pegasus &amp;gt; Internet Options &amp;gt; Receiving &amp;gt; Edit &amp;gt; Security &amp;gt; Enable server certificate fingerprint tracking. Euler has it checked, with the field filled with characters. On our PCs, It is not checked. Do we need to make a change here? &lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="c.haslam"]On my wife's PC, with 4.7 installed, Pegasus reported invalid username or password.[/quote]

Likely an error in the credentials recorded in the PMail POP3 configuration.

[quote user="c.haslam"]I did find one difference between the Pegasus > Internet Options > Receiving > Edit > Security > Enable server certificate fingerprint tracking. Euler has it checked, with the field filled with characters. On our PCs, It is not checked. Do we need to make a change here?[/quote]

Only if you want to.  It's a security thing.  When first turned on, PMail will record the current Google certificate.  It will then prompt you for approval if the connection finds a different certificate.  Google changes certificates regularly but not often (2-3 times a year in my experience).  The help file will provide more insight into this than my rudimentary explanation.

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;c.haslam&quot;]On my wife&#039;s PC, with 4.7 installed, Pegasus reported invalid username or password.[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Likely an error in the credentials recorded in the PMail POP3 configuration. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;c.haslam&quot;]I did find one difference between the Pegasus &amp;gt; Internet Options &amp;gt; Receiving &amp;gt; Edit &amp;gt; Security &amp;gt; Enable server certificate fingerprint tracking. Euler has it checked, with the field filled with characters. On our PCs, It is not checked. Do we need to make a change here?[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Only if you want to.&amp;nbsp; It&#039;s a security thing.&amp;nbsp; When first turned on, PMail will record the current Google certificate.&amp;nbsp; It will then prompt you for approval if the connection finds a different certificate.&amp;nbsp; Google changes certificates regularly but not often (2-3 times a year in my experience).&amp;nbsp; The help file will provide more insight into this than my rudimentary explanation. &lt;/p&gt;

My wife's PC now has 4.73.

A test email worked AOK. Many thanks and keep well! We are now not as isolated as we were.

&lt;p&gt;My wife&#039;s PC now has 4.73.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;A test email worked AOK. Many thanks and keep well! We are now not as isolated as we were. &lt;/p&gt;

Please confirm whether it was the upgrade that solved the problem.

Please confirm whether it was the upgrade that solved the problem.

2 changes solved the problem:

• Update to 4.73
  • Changing Gmail to accept less-secure applications
Both ere necessary.
&lt;p&gt;2 changes solved the problem:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;ul&gt;&lt;li&gt;Update to 4.73&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li&gt;Changing Gmail to accept less-secure applications &lt;/li&gt;&lt;/ul&gt;&lt;div&gt;Both ere necessary. &lt;/div&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft