Community Discussions and Support
Junk file types

With an Address Book open, select (CTRL+A for all) the addresses you want (this caught me out at first)

AddressBook | Export

either Tagged or Tab Delimited

the reverse is

AddressBook | Import 

either Tagged or Tab Delimited

I find that Tab Delimited gives more scope to "play" YMMV

<p>With an Address Book open, select (CTRL+A for all) the addresses you want (this caught me out at first) </p><p>AddressBook | Export</p><p> either Tagged or Tab Delimited</p><p>the reverse is </p><p>AddressBook | Import  </p><p> either Tagged or Tab Delimited</p><p>I find that Tab Delimited gives more scope to "play" YMMV </p><p> </p>

Could someone remind me which files in my PMail directory are junk, ie what types are junk? For example, those ending in $$$ are junk, I believe - what others?

Could someone remind me which files in my PMail directory are junk, ie what types are junk? For example, those ending in $$$ are junk, I believe - what others?

See Han's page for compleat list

http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/pf_pmfiles.html

<p>See Han's page for compleat list </p><p> http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/pf_pmfiles.html</p><p> </p>

I've been using a script for years to get rid of these and other files from Pegasus Mail directories. It's a FORTH script which I unfortunately can not share because it needs a proprietary application to run (nnCron by Nicholas Nemtsev). Anyway, it scans Pegasus Mail directories after some files and folders, some locally, some recursively:

1. *.$$$ starting from C:\PMAIL recursively
  2. *.TOP starting from C:\PMAIL recursively
  3. *.CNM starting from C:\PMAIL\MAIL recursively, 0-byte files only
  4. *.PMW starting from C:\PMAIL\MAIL recursively, 0-byte files only
  5. *.PMX starting from C:\PMAIL\MAIL recursively, 0-byte files only
  6. *.PNX starting from C:\PMAIL\MAIL recursively, 0-byte files only
  7. C:\PMAIL\MAIL\user\TCPLOGS (wiped using Sysinternals' sdelete.exe -s -a

I started using this when I was on old v3.12c and Pegasus Mail newer versions already take care of some of these files, but still some left behind like those 0-byte that may appear once in awhile. So, in a nutshell s script is called automatically immediately after Pmail shutdown, do some house cleaning very quickly, and leave Pegasus ready to start next time without any hassles. Has been working fine for ages.
<p>I've been using a script for years to get rid of these and other files from Pegasus Mail directories. It's a FORTH script which I unfortunately can not share because it needs a proprietary application to run (nnCron by Nicholas Nemtsev). Anyway, it scans Pegasus Mail directories after some files and folders, some locally, some recursively:</p><ol><li>*.$$$ starting from C:\PMAIL recursively</li><li>*.TOP starting from C:\PMAIL recursively</li><li>*.CNM starting from C:\PMAIL\MAIL recursively, 0-byte files only</li><li>*.PMW starting from C:\PMAIL\MAIL recursively, 0-byte files only</li><li>*.PMX starting from C:\PMAIL\MAIL recursively, 0-byte files only</li><li>*.PNX starting from C:\PMAIL\MAIL recursively, 0-byte files only</li><li>C:\PMAIL\MAIL\user\TCPLOGS (wiped using Sysinternals' sdelete.exe -s -a</li></ol><div> </div><div>I started using this when I was on old v3.12c and Pegasus Mail newer versions already take care of some of these files, but still some left behind like those 0-byte that may appear once in awhile. So, in a nutshell s script is called automatically immediately after Pmail shutdown, do some house cleaning very quickly, and leave Pegasus ready to start next time without any hassles. Has been working fine for ages. </div>

-- Euler

Pegasus Mail 4.81.1154 Windows 7 Ultimate
IERenderer: 2.7.1.5 AttachMenu: 1.0.1.2
PMDebug: 2.5.8.34 BearHTML 4.9.9.6

YW, Tom. Just a note: I can't remember why I included the .TOP extension in my script, probably some temporary file created by a third-party application. And maybe I should port it to a batch file so every one could use it, maybe in association with Windows' Task Scheduler. I'm wondering if Shades would help on that. [;)]

YW, Tom. Just a note: I can't remember why I included the .TOP extension in my script, probably some temporary file created by a third-party application. And maybe I should port it to a batch file so every one could use it, maybe in association with Windows' Task Scheduler. I'm wondering if Shades would help on that. [;)]

-- Euler

Euler, Tom, et. al. -- Once upon a time, when "Selective mail download" was invoked for multiple identities, Pegasus Mail created the *.TOP file in the [ User ] directory as a temporary file holding the aggregated list of the first line of each mail header as reported by the mail server.  

That, then, generated the mail list output window for further user action.  

Upon closing that window or selectively downloading the server-held mail as desired, the .TOP file was deleted.  If PMail crashed or was closed in some other disorderly manner, the .TOP file would still be there until selective mail download was once again invoked.   

Somewhere along the way this protocol disappeared.  Unknown to me where PMail now holds this information.  As I've been a PMail user since 1990-91, quite a bit has "come and gone", I'm afraid.  

As far as I'm aware, Han's pf_pmfiles.html page has never included a reference to *.TOP.  Understandable that it wouldn't have, since even as exhaustively thorough as Han has been, it's a file which never would have come to anyone's attention in the ordinary course of events. 

[st][um] 

<p><font size="3"><font size="2">Euler, Tom, et. al. -- Once upon a time, when "Selective mail download" was invoked for multiple identities, Pegasus Mail created the *.TOP file in the [ User ] directory as a temporary file holding the aggregated list of the first line of each mail header as reported by the mail server.   That, then, generated the mail list output window for further user action.   Upon closing that window or selectively downloading the server-held mail as desired, the .TOP file was deleted.  If PMail crashed or was closed in some other disorderly manner, the .TOP file would still be there until selective mail download was once again invoked.    Somewhere along the way this protocol disappeared.  Unknown to me where PMail now holds this information.  As I've been a PMail user since 1990-91, quite a bit has "come and gone", I'm afraid.   As far as I'm aware, Han's pf_pmfiles.html page has never included a reference to *.TOP.  Understandable that it wouldn't have, since even as exhaustively thorough as Han has been, it's a file which never would have come to anyone's attention in the ordinary course of events.  </font></font></p><p> <font size="3"><font size="3"><font size="2"><font size="3"><font size="2">[st][um]  </font></font></font></font></font> </p>

Thanks for sharing this information with us, Christopher. I know I had a reason to include the .TOP extension but just couldn't remember why. Anyway, it is good to know I haven't gone completely nuts yet.[8-|]

Thanks for sharing this information with us, Christopher. I know I had a reason to include the .TOP extension but just couldn't remember why. Anyway, it is good to know I haven't gone completely nuts yet.[8-|]

-- Euler

Nah, from what I see I think you've got a ways to go there, Euler.  

Now that I see that I haven't posted since February 2017 (merely lurking), I realize that I have another issue or two to weigh in on.  

Nothing current, really, just a "where did this come from - ?" comment or two.  And a rousing endorsement of idw / Michael's April 14th  [Rant Begin] . . . [Rant End] post, with an anecdote or two of my own which probably has contributed to my being a place or two ahead of you in the "going completely nuts" queue. 

If in the ful(l)ness of time I can find Brian F.'s year or two ago post about copying / moving entries in the PMail address book . . . which I've saved "somewhere" . . .   

[6] [C]

<font size="2">Nah, from what I see I think you've got a ways to go there, Euler.   Now that I see that I haven't posted since February 2017 (merely lurking), I realize that I have another issue or two to weigh in on.   Nothing current, really, just a "where did this come from - ?" comment or two.  And a rousing endorsement of idw / Michael's April 14th  [Rant Begin] . . . [Rant End] post, with an anecdote or two of my own which probably has contributed to my being a place or two ahead of you in the "going completely nuts" queue.  If in the ful(l)ness of time I can find Brian F.'s year or two ago post about copying / moving entries in the PMail address book . . . which I've saved "somewhere" . . .    </font><font size="2">[6] [B] [C] </font>

Hi

I use a more general batch to clear all those pesky reminants that appear, happy to share, this version cleans all the file types I don't want across many Drives (Z: Y: X: H: G: F: D: C: could be more or less)

That's the easy part, Zero byte files are harder, not to remove or find but to decide "Which" ones you need and which can go, a quick scan here shows these zero byte files

bearhtml.log
CyberArk.PMI
GLOSSARY.PM
mapipm.log
newsmail.log
newsmail2.log
newspost.log
pmical.log
pmvcard.log
rssmail.log
SpamHalt.PMI
virscan.log
virscan.rep
pmical.log
pmicaladm.log
rssmail.log

in my mail dir(s) all these are (for the most part) used and/or needed

so a little care is needed "if" you want to automate removing zero byte files, probably the best route is pipe a list to a txt file, than decide, from my list I could exclude *.log, *.pmi & *.rep, some log's will (re)build when required but some need a blank to work

<p>Hi</p><p>I use a more general batch to clear all those pesky reminants that appear, happy to share, this version cleans all the file types I don't want across many Drives (Z: Y: X: H: G: F: D: C: could be more or less)</p><p>That's the easy part, Zero byte files are harder, not to remove or find but to decide "Which" ones you need and which can go, a quick scan here shows these zero byte files </p><p>bearhtml.log CyberArk.PMI GLOSSARY.PM mapipm.log newsmail.log newsmail2.log newspost.log pmical.log pmvcard.log rssmail.log SpamHalt.PMI virscan.log virscan.rep pmical.log pmicaladm.log rssmail.log in my mail dir(s) all these are (for the most part) used and/or needed </p><p>so a little care is needed "if" you want to automate removing zero byte files, probably the best route is pipe a list to a txt file, than decide, from my list I could exclude *.log, *.pmi & *.rep, some log's will (re)build when required but some need a blank to work </p><p> </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft