Community Discussions and Support
Timout settings not working as expected

Paul,

Tests are done while there isn't an internet connection to force an instant failure whose popup notice contains the timeout setting of that attempt.

Please test it for additional confirmation that when a POP3 or SMTP host is configured with a timeout of zero the actual timeout used is 30 seconds regardless of the timeout specified in the General tab.

<p>Paul,</p><p>Tests are done while there isn't an internet connection to force an instant failure whose popup notice contains the timeout setting of that attempt.</p><p>Please test it for additional confirmation that <span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.096px; font-style: normal; font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); text-decoration-style: initial; text-decoration-color: initial; display: inline !important; float: none;">when a POP3 or SMTP host is configured with a timeout of zero the actual timeout used is 30 seconds regardless of the timeout specified in the General tab. </span></p>

My understanding of timeout settings is that the timeout set in the General tab of Internet Options gets used when the one in the POP3 and SMTP host configurations is set to zero.  This is consistent with what the help file says under "Creating a POP3 Definition:

Timeout: The length of time Pegasus Mail should wait for a reply from the host before concluding that there is a communication problem and giving up. If you enter zero (0) in this field, Pegasus Mail will use the default timeout that appears on the General Internet mail settings page of the Internet Options dialog.

What I have just discovered is that when a host timeout is set to

zero the actual timeout is 30 seconds regardless of what is specified

in the General tab. 

My tests consisted of attempted sends and POP3 downloads without an internet connection. The resulting "Network or Protocol Error" windows displays the timeout used for that connection attempt.

I am anxious for others to test this.

<p>My understanding of timeout settings is that the timeout set in the General tab of Internet Options gets used when the one in the POP3 and SMTP host configurations is set to zero.  This is consistent with what the help file says under "Creating a POP3 Definition: </p><blockquote><p><i>Timeout: The length of time Pegasus Mail should wait for a reply from the host before concluding that there is a communication problem and giving up. If you enter zero (0) in this field, Pegasus Mail will use the default timeout that appears on the General Internet mail settings page of the Internet Options dialog. </i></p></blockquote><p> What I have just discovered is that when a host timeout is set to zero the actual timeout is 30 seconds regardless of what is specified in the General tab.  </p><p>My tests consisted of attempted sends and POP3 downloads without an internet connection. The resulting "Network or Protocol Error" windows displays the timeout used for that connection attempt. </p><p>I am anxious for others to test this. </p>

Brian,

I believe the problem maybe in the DNSlookup process. You should run a TraceRoute and see where the timeout happened 

Martin 

<p>Brian,</p><p>   I believe the problem maybe in the DNSlookup process. You should run a TraceRoute and see where the timeout happened </p><p>Martin </p>

There isn't a timeout of a connection because there isn't an internet connection.  The timeout setting itself, as displayed in the connection failure popup window, is not as configured.

There isn't a timeout of a connection because there isn't an internet connection.  The timeout setting itself, as displayed in the connection failure popup window, is not as configured.

[quote user="Brian Fluet"]

My understanding of timeout settings is that the timeout set in the General tab of Internet Options gets used when the one in the POP3 and SMTP host configurations is set to zero.  This is consistent with what the help file says under "Creating a POP3 Definition:

Timeout: The length of time Pegasus Mail should wait for a reply from the host before concluding that there is a communication problem and giving up. If you enter zero (0) in this field, Pegasus Mail will use the default timeout that appears on the General Internet mail settings page of the Internet Options dialog.

What I have just discovered is that when a host timeout is set to

zero the actual timeout is 30 seconds regardless of what is specified

in the General tab. 

My tests consisted of attempted sends and POP3 downloads without an internet connection. The resulting "Network or Protocol Error" windows displays the timeout used for that connection attempt.

I am anxious for others to test this.

[/quote]

I've just confirmed your finding. It seems the 30 sec value is hardcoded. Below the session logs of several accounts of mine.

[quote user="Timeout individually set"]

18:47:34.982: --- 26 May 2020, 18:47:34.982 ---
18:47:35.130: Connect to 'pop.gmx.com', timeout 60 seconds.
18:47:35.142: 2: Bad address "pop.gmx.com"

18:47:44.485: --- 26 May 2020, 18:47:44.485 ---
18:47:44.486: Connect to 'pop.mail.yahoo.com', timeout 100 seconds.
18:47:44.488: 2: Bad address "pop.mail.yahoo.com"

18:47:56.017: --- 26 May 2020, 18:47:56.017 ---
18:47:56.018: Connect to 'pop.gmail.com', timeout 300 seconds.
18:47:56.038: 2: Bad address "pop.gmail.com"

[/quote]

[quote user="General timeout = 120"]

18:58:57.130: --- 26 May 2020, 18:58:57.130 ---
18:58:57.132: Connect to 'pop.gmail.com', timeout 30 seconds.
18:58:57.171: 2: Bad address "pop.gmail.com"

[/quote]

All connection attempts done without an Internet connection.

[quote user="Brian Fluet"]<p>My understanding of timeout settings is that the timeout set in the General tab of Internet Options gets used when the one in the POP3 and SMTP host configurations is set to zero.  This is consistent with what the help file says under "Creating a POP3 Definition: </p><blockquote><p><i>Timeout: The length of time Pegasus Mail should wait for a reply from the host before concluding that there is a communication problem and giving up. If you enter zero (0) in this field, Pegasus Mail will use the default timeout that appears on the General Internet mail settings page of the Internet Options dialog. </i></p></blockquote><p> What I have just discovered is that when a host timeout is set to zero the actual timeout is 30 seconds regardless of what is specified in the General tab.  </p><p>My tests consisted of attempted sends and POP3 downloads without an internet connection. The resulting "Network or Protocol Error" windows displays the timeout used for that connection attempt. </p><p>I am anxious for others to test this. </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>I've just confirmed your finding. It seems the 30 sec value is hardcoded. Below the session logs of several accounts of mine.</p><p>[quote user="Timeout individually set"]</p><p>18:47:34.982: --- 26 May 2020, 18:47:34.982 --- 18:47:35.130: Connect to 'pop.gmx.com', timeout 60 seconds. 18:47:35.142: 2: Bad address "pop.gmx.com" </p><p>18:47:44.485: --- 26 May 2020, 18:47:44.485 --- 18:47:44.486: Connect to 'pop.mail.yahoo.com', timeout 100 seconds. 18:47:44.488: 2: Bad address "pop.mail.yahoo.com" </p><p>18:47:56.017: --- 26 May 2020, 18:47:56.017 --- 18:47:56.018: Connect to 'pop.gmail.com', timeout 300 seconds. 18:47:56.038: 2: Bad address "pop.gmail.com" </p><p>[/quote] </p><p>[quote user="General timeout = 120"]</p><p>18:58:57.130: --- 26 May 2020, 18:58:57.130 --- 18:58:57.132: Connect to 'pop.gmail.com', timeout 30 seconds. 18:58:57.171: 2: Bad address "pop.gmail.com" </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>All connection attempts done without an Internet connection. </p>

-- Euler

Pegasus Mail 4.81.1154 Windows 7 Ultimate
IERenderer: 2.7.1.5 AttachMenu: 1.0.1.2
PMDebug: 2.5.8.34 BearHTML 4.9.9.6

[quote user="Euler GERMAN"]

I've just confirmed your finding. It seems the 30 sec value is hardcoded. Below the session logs of several accounts of mine.

[/quote]

I'm not sure that you have - all your attempts failed within one second because of DNS lookup failures.

I think there's a default Windows timeout at play here.

[quote user="Euler GERMAN"]<p>I've just confirmed your finding. It seems the 30 sec value is hardcoded. Below the session logs of several accounts of mine.</p><p>[/quote]</p><p>I'm not sure that you have - all your attempts failed within one second because of DNS lookup failures.</p><p> I think there's a default Windows timeout at play here.</p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft