Community Discussions and Support
Internet Connection Problems After Last Windows 10 Update

Well, the problem seems to have resolved itself, possibly after another update from MS.

I don't have Pegasus installed in anything like what was just suggested. I have separate partitions set up on my PC for the OS, my applications, and our home directories. Pegasus is installed with my other applications, in the D: drive. My Pegasus mailbox is installed in my home directory: E:\<My Name>\PMail. This has worked perfectly for me for over 20 years, but Windows 10 is clearly making it for difficult for the applications.

The problem yesterday seems to have been that non-MS applications, that wanted to check on their licenses when starting, were having trouble getting an internet connection. This affected HR Block and Quicken. It also seems to have affected GlobalProtect, which needs to make a VPN connection to the university where I worked to give the OK on the license for the Windows 10 Enterprise that I'm using. Normally that needs a refresh about every 6 months, so it's not something that I get really familiar with. Yesterday GP would not connect. This has never happened before.

Everything seems to be working this morning, but I noticed one change: When I brought up GlobalProtect today, I got a login page that I didn't get yesterday. Yesterday, when I brought up GP, I didn't get the login page, so GP didn't get my password. When I ran the troubleshooting logging for GP, I saw it complain about no password, but I wasn't sure if that was normal or not, having never watched the logging before. Today, I got a completely different GP first screen which came up with my username and asked for my password. After that, it connected and now everything seems to work correctly.

Pegasus now connects to my POP3 and SMTP servers within 1-2 seconds, just as it always has, so things are back to normal. Frankly, I don't know what fixed it: the MS update, the change in GP behavior, or the simple fact that there was another reboot in there.

thanks, 

&lt;p&gt;Well, the problem seems to have resolved itself, possibly after another update from MS.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I don&#039;t have Pegasus installed in anything like what was just suggested. I have separate partitions set up on my PC for the OS, my applications, and our home directories. Pegasus is installed with my other applications, in the D: drive. My Pegasus mailbox is installed in my home directory: E:\&amp;lt;My Name&amp;gt;\PMail. This has worked perfectly for me for over 20 years, but Windows 10 is clearly making it for difficult for the applications.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;The problem yesterday seems to have been that non-MS applications, that wanted to check&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;on their licenses when starting, were having trouble getting an internet connection. This affected HR Block and Quicken. It also seems to have affected GlobalProtect, which needs to make a VPN connection to the university where I worked to give the OK on the license for the Windows 10 Enterprise that I&#039;m using. Normally that needs a refresh about every 6 months, so it&#039;s not something that I get really familiar with. Yesterday GP would not connect. This has never happened before.&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Everything seems to be working this morning, but I noticed one change: When I brought up GlobalProtect today, I got a login page that I didn&#039;t get yesterday. Yesterday, when I brought up GP, I didn&#039;t get the login page, so GP didn&#039;t get my password. When I ran the troubleshooting logging for GP, I saw it complain about no password, but I wasn&#039;t sure if that was normal or not, having never watched the logging before. Today, I got a completely different GP first screen which came up with my username and asked for my password. After that, it connected and now everything seems to work correctly.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Pegasus now connects to my POP3 and SMTP servers within 1-2 seconds, just as it always has, so things are back to normal. Frankly, I don&#039;t know what fixed it: the MS update, the change in GP behavior, or the simple fact that there was another reboot in there.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;thanks,&lt;/span&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

My Pegasus has been having trouble connecting with its POP3 and SMTP servers since Windows 10 updated itself a day or 2 ago (routine June update.) My Windows 10 is the Enterprise version. I don't have any reason to suspect a problem with Pegasus, but I'm hoping someone else here has seen this and has a solution.

What I'm seeing is long delays, about 1 minute, just getting a connection to my POP3 or SMPT server. Once I get a connection, the transmission seems a bit slower, but the real difference is in the upfront wait.

My HR Block tax software was also unable to do an automatic update, which makes me think this is a Windows 10 problem, possibly related to some sort of security upgrade.

Most web browser connections seem to be unaffected.

Any suggestions out there?

thanks,

&lt;p&gt;My Pegasus has been having trouble connecting with its POP3 and SMTP servers since Windows 10 updated itself a day or 2 ago (routine June update.) My Windows 10 is the Enterprise version. I don&#039;t have any reason to suspect a problem with Pegasus, but I&#039;m hoping someone else here has seen this and has a solution.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;What I&#039;m seeing is long delays, about 1 minute, just getting a connection to my POP3 or SMPT server. Once I get a connection, the transmission seems a bit slower, but the real difference is in the upfront wait.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;My HR Block tax software was also unable to do an automatic update, which makes me think this is a Windows 10 problem, possibly related to some sort of security upgrade.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Most web browser connections seem to be unaffected.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Any suggestions out there?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;thanks,&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

First thing to check for is that nothing in Pegasus Mail can be installed in the Program Files  directory tree. Pegasus Mail should be installed in c:\pmail.  reason for this is that the Program Files tree is set to read-only after initial installation is completed. So for example the POP and STP definitions can be changed by users at any time. Certain other Pegasus Mail work files and settings files also get updated from time to time.

In the case of Windows 10, the system PATH variable gets enlarged quite a lot so searching takes for ever. Also you should have a TEMP directory outside the Program Files tree (ie c:\temp should exist).  If you are concerned about all this, Windows 10, can and will, overwrite or replace any of its Windows parts without prompting. Check in Control Panel/System/Advanced Settings/Environmental Variables. Note here that any directories in the System or User variables that your products directories are listed before anything from Windows.

as for HR Block tax software, the same location problem will exist if it is installed in Program Files tree, will need to be re-installed in its own directory such as C:\HRBlock. You may need to select 'Customize" as an install option.  Any files with a date after the installation date in the Program Files directory will need copying to the new location (ie: C:\HRBlock)

HTH

Martin 

&lt;p&gt;First thing to check for is that nothing in Pegasus Mail can be installed in the Program Files&amp;nbsp; directory tree. Pegasus Mail should be installed in c:\pmail.&amp;nbsp; reason for this is that the Program Files tree is set to read-only after initial installation is completed. So for example the POP and STP definitions can be changed by users at any time. Certain other Pegasus Mail work files and settings files also get updated from time to time.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;In the case of Windows 10, the system PATH variable gets enlarged quite a lot so searching takes for ever. Also you should have a TEMP directory outside the Program Files tree (ie c:\temp should exist).&amp;nbsp; If you are concerned about all this, Windows 10, can and will, overwrite or replace any of its Windows parts without prompting. Check in Control Panel/System/Advanced Settings/Environmental Variables. Note here that any directories in the System or User variables that your products directories are listed before anything from Windows.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;as for HR Block tax software, the same location problem will exist if it is installed in Program Files tree, will need to be re-installed in its own directory such as C:\HRBlock. You may need to select &#039;Customize&quot; as an install option.&amp;nbsp; Any files with a date after the installation date in the Program Files directory will need copying to the new location (ie: C:\HRBlock)&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;HTH&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;Martin&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft