Community Discussions and Support
Save attachments and add attachments hanging

Hello,

I have the same problem. It's not possible to store an attachment,

or put an attachment to a mail. But it's possible to open it for

example with word or so. I had this problem some times ago.

I deleted a mail with an attachment and the problem was away.

At that time I was able to recognised the file which produces the

error, but this I don't know it, because the problem exists for a longer

time. Has anybody an idea to help me recognising the corruped file?

Regards

andime

<p>Hello,</p><p>I have the same problem. It's not possible to store an attachment,</p><p>or put an attachment to a mail. But it's possible to open it for</p><p>example with word or so. I had this problem some times ago.</p><p>I deleted a mail with an attachment and the problem was away.</p><p>At that time I was able to recognised the file which produces the </p><p>error, but this I don't know it, because the problem exists for a longer</p><p>time. Has anybody an idea to help me recognising the corruped file?</p><p> </p><p>Regards </p><p> </p><p>andime </p>

Pegasus mail 4.41 is installed on Windows 2003 server/ SP2 on drive P:. On all our workstations, we map this drive as the workstation's P: drive.

Everything works fine on Windows XP (and  a Win98 client).

On a Windows 2000 server however, whenever Save is clicked to save an attachment or Add attachment is clicked, Pegasus Mail justs hangs (ie when the common dialogue box(?) to explore is supposed to be displayed). When this happens, I can still do other things unitl I try to do anything that involves the mapped drive of the network - I can go into Internet explorer, I can go into Windows explorer as long as I do not click on the mapped drive.

I then cannot close the Pegasus Mail window, I cannot bring up the task manager and I cannot logoff or shutdown or restart the system - I have to physically turn the power off.

Has anyone run into anything like this?

<P>Pegasus mail 4.41 is installed on Windows 2003 server/ SP2 on drive P:. On all our workstations, we map this drive as the workstation's P: drive.</P> <P>Everything works fine on Windows XP (and  a Win98 client).</P> <P>On a Windows 2000 server however, whenever Save is clicked to save an attachment or Add attachment is clicked, Pegasus Mail justs hangs (ie when the common dialogue box(?) to explore is supposed to be displayed). When this happens, I can still do other things unitl I try to do anything that involves the mapped drive of the network - I can go into Internet explorer, I can go into Windows explorer as long as I do not click on the mapped drive.</P> <P>I then cannot close the Pegasus Mail window, I cannot bring up the task manager and I cannot logoff or shutdown or restart the system - I have to physically turn the power off.</P> <P>Has anyone run into anything like this?</P>

The most likely culprit is a Windows Shell Extension on the computer... The biggest problem we've had in the last year or so has been Adobe Acrobat's shell extension, which can cause nasty crashes when we try multiple selection.

It's very, very unlikely that this problem is Pegasus Mail itself: all we're doing is calling a Windows function called GetOpenFilename, and it's during the processing of that function that the crash will be occurring. GetOpenFilename does a huge amount of stuff behind the scenes, including loading and initializing all the Shell Extensions on the machine (Acrobat, WinZIP - anything that adds itself into the "Open file" dialog or its right-click context menus). Unfortunately, because Pegasus Mail is the application with which the user is interacting, we tend to get blamed for this type of issue, even though it's outside our control.

Equally unfortunately, this type of problem is very difficult to track down, because there's very little in the way of tools you can use to work out which shell extension is causing the problem. About all I can suggest is looking in the Open File dialog in Windows Explorer and see what shell extensions have installed themselves, then try disabling them one at a time until you find the one causing the problem.

Cheers!

-- David --

<p>The most likely culprit is a Windows Shell Extension on the computer... The biggest problem we've had in the last year or so has been Adobe Acrobat's shell extension, which can cause nasty crashes when we try multiple selection. It's very, very unlikely that this problem is Pegasus Mail itself: all we're doing is calling a Windows function called GetOpenFilename, and it's during the processing of that function that the crash will be occurring. GetOpenFilename does a huge amount of stuff behind the scenes, including loading and initializing all the Shell Extensions on the machine (Acrobat, WinZIP - anything that adds itself into the "Open file" dialog or its right-click context menus). Unfortunately, because Pegasus Mail is the application with which the user is interacting, we tend to get blamed for this type of issue, even though it's outside our control. Equally unfortunately, this type of problem is very difficult to track down, because there's very little in the way of tools you can use to work out which shell extension is causing the problem. About all I can suggest is looking in the Open File dialog in Windows Explorer and see what shell extensions have installed themselves, then try disabling them one at a time until you find the one causing the problem. Cheers! -- David -- </p>

Thank you for the information. I was looking into the file extension stuff, when I had to send an email with an attachment. I went into Pmail on one of the systems that allows me to add an attachment. When I added the attachment I noticed that the default directory used was on the mapped P: drive. I changed this to the c: drive and clicked on set "set as favourite dir" and closed Pegasus.

When I then went into Pegasus on the Windows 2000 server and went to add an attachment, then "Select a file" dialogue box comes up and shows me the C drive of the Windows 2000 PC. I can double click on a directory and it will take me into that sub-directory, click on another directory and it takes me into that sub-directory etc. However, if I click the "up one level" icon to the "My Computer" level or click on the "Look in:" drop down box, it get the same hang as before. Both of these instances would be trying to show the p: drive.

The "set as favourite dir" and the other buttons are new Pegasus 4.4 correct - we had an earlier version of Pegasus (4 something) and we upgraded to 4.4 when we went to Windows 2003.

The attachment stuff worked on Windows 2000 with the older version of Pegasus, but we didn't have the 2003 server actually hosting Pegasus at that time. The 2000 server was hosting Pegasus. When we installed the 2003 server as our domain controller we moved Pegasus to this server and upgraded to version 4.4. The 2000 server was "re-installed" as a stand alone server (full reformat of the drive).

What file stores the information regarding the "default directory" information? By changing the default directory to a non-mapped drive, I got the "Select a file" to come up. maybe there is something else that I need to set, click,... to get something else updated.

<P>Thank you for the information. I was looking into the file extension stuff, when I had to send an email with an attachment. I went into Pmail on one of the systems that allows me to add an attachment. When I added the attachment I noticed that the default directory used was on the mapped P: drive. I changed this to the c: drive and clicked on set "set as favourite dir" and closed Pegasus.</P> <P>When I then went into Pegasus on the Windows 2000 server and went to add an attachment, then "Select a file" dialogue box comes up and shows me the C drive of the Windows 2000 PC. I can double click on a directory and it will take me into that sub-directory, click on another directory and it takes me into that sub-directory etc. However, if I click the "up one level" icon to the "My Computer" level or click on the "Look in:" drop down box, it get the same hang as before. Both of these instances would be trying to show the p: drive.</P> <P>The "set as favourite dir" and the other buttons are new Pegasus 4.4 correct - we had an earlier version of Pegasus (4 something) and we upgraded to 4.4 when we went to Windows 2003.</P> <P>The attachment stuff worked on Windows 2000 with the older version of Pegasus, but we didn't have the 2003 server actually hosting Pegasus at that time. The 2000 server was hosting Pegasus. When we installed the 2003 server as our domain controller we moved Pegasus to this server and upgraded to version 4.4. The 2000 server was "re-installed" as a stand alone server (full reformat of the drive). </P> <P>What file stores the information regarding the "default directory" information? By changing the default directory to a non-mapped drive, I got the "Select a file" to come up. maybe there is something else that I need to set, click,... to get something else updated.</P>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft