Site Feedback
Small feedback on new forum

Hi,

at first, thanks for the sign of life of Pmail and the announcement that a new version of Pmail will be released soon.
I had some doubts in the last months that Pmail even will be continued after the long time without any news.

I have a few point which can be improved on the forum page but not sure if the codoforum have this functions.
But at the moment it is very hard to find any new post within the forum without opening any category and subcategory.

requests:

• filteroption or view to show only new or "unread" posts (Update: By setting the notification level min. to 2 on every wanted category it is possible to have an overview of new posts - see the bell at top "notifications")
  • possiblity to see new topics for categories on overview page, perhaps in the counter like 2/256
  • change favicon for the forum site instead of showing the codoforum f (Update: new favicon is available. thx)

Hi, at first, thanks for the sign of life of Pmail and the announcement that a new version of Pmail will be released soon. I had some doubts in the last months that Pmail even will be continued after the long time without any news. I have a few point which can be improved on the forum page but not sure if the codoforum have this functions. But at the moment it is very hard to find any new post within the forum without opening any category and subcategory. requests: - filteroption or view to show only new or "unread" posts _ (**Update:** By setting the notification level min. to 2 on every wanted category it is possible to have an overview of new posts - see the bell at top "notifications")_ - possiblity to see new topics for categories on overview page, perhaps in the counter like 2/256 - change favicon for the forum site instead of showing the codoforum f _(**Update:** new favicon is available. thx)_

Pegasus v4.81 Beta

edited Nov 10 '21 at 9:56 am

requests:

• who is online (user, mod, hidden)
  • better search function (searching for posts of a member, wildcard-search, choosing a category before the search starts)

[add]

• button for marking forum as read, instead of going through every category

requests: - who is online (user, mod, hidden) - better search function (searching for posts of a member, wildcard-search, choosing a category before the search starts) [add] - button for marking forum as read, instead of going through every category
edited Nov 3 '21 at 4:22 pm

Almost all of my wishes have been listed. One more is:

• PM capability

Almost all of my wishes have been listed. One more is: - PM capability

I think most of this criticism belonged on a Codoforum forum. The criticism of Codoforum as the solution here is disturbing. David's request for someone to spearhead creation of a new forum was not responded to. He and Rolf took it on. I am grateful to them and everyone else who assisted in getting this forum up and running. Preservation of discussions from the old forum is especially commendable. The desire to do so may have contributed to the choice of Codoforum.

Don't misunderstand me. I do not believe that suggestions are not welcome. Rolf has demonstrated that he is receptive. We have seen that with his prompt fix of the link in email notifications.

Regarding live preview, it has worked as expected for me. Its pane becomes scrollable once filled. I have not seen any content fade out or become hidden even after typing well beyond the point where it starts to scroll nor after pasting two full pages of text copied from a document.

I think most of this criticism belonged on a Codoforum forum. The criticism of Codoforum as the solution here is disturbing. David's request for someone to spearhead creation of a new forum was not responded to. He and Rolf took it on. I am grateful to them and everyone else who assisted in getting this forum up and running. Preservation of discussions from the old forum is especially commendable. The desire to do so may have contributed to the choice of Codoforum. Don't misunderstand me. I do not believe that suggestions are not welcome. Rolf has demonstrated that he is receptive. We have seen that with his prompt fix of the link in email notifications. Regarding live preview, it has worked as expected for me. Its pane becomes scrollable once filled. I have not seen any content fade out or become hidden even after typing well beyond the point where it starts to scroll nor after pasting two full pages of text copied from a document.

This is what mine looked like after pasting your content copied from the email notification. Vivaldi is my browser.

61897f17ac078

This is what mine looked like after pasting your content copied from the email notification. Vivaldi is my browser. ![61897f17ac078](serve/attachment&path=61897f17ac078)

It seems that Codoforum does not have so many functions.

I just searched a little bit for plugins and found an older plugin for a private message system.
Perhaps an admin can take a look on this plugin and check if it is feasible to implement it.
https://github.com/evnix/codopm

Perhaps there is also for the one or other request above a plugin or a option in codoforum to realize it.

P.S. @admin: Can please move the specific problem/bug of sellerie with the editor and his browser in a separate post and keep in this post only the improvement requests. thx

It seems that Codoforum does not have so many functions. I just searched a little bit for [plugins](https://github.com/search?q=codoforum "https://github.com/search?q=codoforum") and found an older plugin for a private message system. Perhaps an admin can take a look on this plugin and check if it is feasible to implement it. [https://github.com/evnix/codopm](https://github.com/evnix/codopm) Perhaps there is also for the one or other request above a plugin or a option in codoforum to realize it. P.S. @admin: Can please move the specific problem/bug of sellerie with the editor and his browser in a separate post and keep in this post only the improvement requests. thx

Pegasus v4.81 Beta

I think any forum software should have some basic functionality and for me that includes a private messaging system and a lot more.
My problem with external plugins is their security and the linked plugin was last updated 7 years ago.
In my opinion, forum software and basic functions should always be maintained by the manufacturer so that the code style remains the same. This should make the software run at its best. My hope is also that the manufacturer knows best, how to offer an attacker as little target area as possible.

I think any forum software should have some basic functionality and for me that includes a private messaging system and a lot more. My problem with external plugins is their security and the linked plugin was last updated 7 years ago. In my opinion, forum software and basic functions should always be maintained by the manufacturer so that the code style remains the same. This should make the software run at its best. My hope is also that the manufacturer knows best, how to offer an attacker as little target area as possible.

P.S. @admin: Can please move the specific problem/bug of sellerie with the editor and his browser in a separate post and keep in this post only the improvement requests. thx

I have opened the topic Live Preview for this purpose and deleted my posts.

[quote="pid:52985, uid:29380"]P.S. @admin: Can please move the specific problem/bug of sellerie with the editor and his browser in a separate post and keep in this post only the improvement requests. thx[/quote] I have opened the topic [url=https://community.pmail.com/index.php?u=/topic/11495/live-preview]Live Preview[/url] for this purpose and deleted my posts.
edited Nov 9 '21 at 9:18 pm

As codo forum seems to be a uncommon forum more written by hobbyists programmers and the community, I think addons are part of the concept of this forum and we can't expect all features like in other forums. And 7 years old means not directly that it is not up to date or not working. smile

So I think a few things can be perhaps implemented with plugins or activating some options. But much more we can't expect from this forum software than we now have.
As it was choosen and took so long to implement I think it will not be changed and David Harris should put his power more in programming PMail than to maintain this forum.

So for missing features I think we only can search by our own and make proposals for possible solutions or plugins. Or we directly make a request in Codo Forum Suggestion-Box to have perhaps some new features in the future. smile

• Just found an article where CodoPM is mentioned in Codo Forum Suggestion Box.But I not sure if it is really implemented and just need to be activated or if they realised it with a plugin for Freichat

As codo forum seems to be a uncommon forum more written by hobbyists programmers and the community, I think addons are part of the concept of this forum and we can't expect all features like in other forums. And 7 years old means not directly that it is not up to date or not working. ;) So I think a few things can be perhaps implemented with plugins or activating some options. But much more we can't expect from this forum software than we now have. As it was choosen and took so long to implement I think it will not be changed and David Harris should put his power more in programming PMail than to maintain this forum. So for missing features I think we only can search by our own and make proposals for possible solutions or plugins. Or we directly make a request in [Codo Forum Suggestion-Box](https://codologic.com/forum/index.php?u=/category/suggestion-box "https://codologic.com/forum/index.php?u=/category/suggestion-box") to have perhaps some new features in the future. ;) - Just found an article where CodoPM is mentioned in [Codo Forum Suggestion Box](https://codologic.com/forum/index.php?u=/topic/7114/codo-pm-what-we-need/2#post-20734 "https://codologic.com/forum/index.php?u=/topic/7114/codo-pm-what-we-need/2#post-20734"). But I not sure if it is really implemented and just need to be activated or if they realised it with a plugin for Freichat - A userlist seems to be also available as newer plugin [Codo Forum - Requests userlist / online status](https://codologic.com/forum/index.php?u=/topic/13066/feature-request/1#post-24942 "https://codologic.com/forum/index.php?u=/topic/13066/feature-request/1#post-24942")

Pegasus v4.81 Beta

filteroption or view to show only new or "unread" posts (Update: By setting the notification level min. to 2 on every wanted category it is possible to have an overview of new posts - see the bell at top "notifications"smile
Okay, just to get the latest posts displayed I have to log in every time....

[quote="pid:52969, uid:29380"]filteroption or view to show only new or "unread" posts (Update: By setting the notification level min. to 2 on every wanted category it is possible to have an overview of new posts - see the bell at top "notifications")[/quote]Okay, just to get the latest posts displayed I have to log in every time....

requests:
rss/atom feed

No RSS-Support yet but it seems to be on the development roadmap of Codoforum but just with low priority. smile
Perhaps with next major release in 1 or 2 years.

So for the moment you only can put notification level 3 and get notification of new posts by email.

[quote="pid:53021, uid:27728"]requests: rss/atom feed[/quote] No RSS-Support yet but it seems to be on the development roadmap of Codoforum but just with low priority. :( Perhaps with next major release in 1 or 2 years. So for the moment you only can put notification level 3 and get notification of new posts by email.

Pegasus v4.81 Beta

live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft