Community Discussions and Support
when will the new version be released?

It's been over a month since David Harris blogged that Pegasus Mail would be out in a couple of weeks.... How much longer? It's been years since the last update, but mail has made great strides and now there are so many competing programs, please give me one good reason not to leave Pegasus Mail!

It's been over a month since David Harris blogged that Pegasus Mail would be out in a couple of weeks.... How much longer? It's been years since the last update, but mail has made great strides and now there are so many competing programs, please give me one good reason not to leave Pegasus Mail!

From what I understand, efforts towards the anxiously awaited v5 have been derailed by efforts to add OAuth 2 capability as soon as possible. I don't think anyone knows when that will be for certain.

From what I understand, efforts towards the anxiously awaited v5 have been derailed by efforts to add OAuth 2 capability as soon as possible. I don't think anyone knows when that will be for certain.

Not sure why Carlonike needs to use this demanding tone, especially after so many decades of David's good work. But to answer the question-Pegasus Mail IMHO has 3 unique qualities:

1/ It is the only client that allows extensive tweaks and window resizing so that EVERYTHING can be displayed on one page: Folders, Current Messages, Sent Messages, and All Addresses. It also provides remarkable controls over display fonts, etc. See snap shot below with data blocked out for obvious privacy reasons.61ab7bd82bf37

2/ It allows for incredibly easy and quick backups - just copy and paste the MAIL folder and ini file to save all detailed work and font and filter customizations. Address backups also easily made into common file formats for exporting. No complicated exporting - just copy and paste.

3/ Its simplicity makes it quite robust and not subject to the whims of large corporations -the user remains in control of all. I have used it flawlessly on I think 5 generations of Windows OS.

Could be that none of this, or eye candy or having the latest thing are more important to others - they are free to go elsewhere.

So yes - it would be nice to get version 5 which has become sort of the Yeti or Loch Ness Nessie of software. But David has his limits and our patience will surely be rewarded at some point. Meanwhile, the current older version does work just fine. His work should be encouraged and applauded, as I have tried to do.

Not sure why Carlonike needs to use this demanding tone, especially after so many decades of David's good work. But to answer the question-Pegasus Mail IMHO has 3 unique qualities: 1/ It is the only client that allows extensive tweaks and window resizing so that **EVERYTHING can be displayed on one page:** Folders, Current Messages, Sent Messages, and All Addresses. It also provides remarkable controls over display fonts, etc. See snap shot below with data blocked out for obvious privacy reasons.![61ab7bd82bf37](serve/attachment&path=61ab7bd82bf37) 2/ It allows for incredibly **easy and quick backups** - just copy and paste the MAIL folder and ini file to save all detailed work and font and filter customizations. Address backups also easily made into common file formats for exporting. No complicated exporting - just copy and paste. 3/ Its **simplicity makes it quite robust** and not subject to the whims of large corporations -the user remains in control of all. I have used it flawlessly on I think 5 generations of Windows OS. Could be that none of this, or eye candy or having the latest thing are more important to others - they are free to go elsewhere. So yes - it would be nice to get version 5 which has become sort of the Yeti or Loch Ness Nessie of software. But David has his limits and our patience will surely be rewarded at some point. Meanwhile, the current older version does work just fine. His work should be encouraged and applauded, as I have tried to do.
edited Dec 4 '21 at 2:41 pm

Carlonike asked a simple question and the question was fully answered.
I do not know, why you white-washing the actual situation. At least a sign of life from the developer should be possible or are the most problems discussed on the listserver???

to 1)Thunderbird and Sylpheed are configurable and especially Sylpheed is lightning fast or even faster than the roadrunner meep meep

to 2)Do you know "portableapps.com"? Your favorite software everywhere... Having your complete desktop in the pocket on a stick/portable-ssd works since at least WinXP.

to 3)Simplicity does not matter, if you can not read an email. HTML-mails are a piece of crap/nightmare but they exist. I get more and more emails with a ridicuoulos amount of html formattings, fonts or font styles and not more than 10 words of content. Sometimes this 10 words includes "Dear madam/sir" or "Best regards"...

Perhaps it helps other users to calm down, if they following the history bases translation of communicated timeframes. This means weeks = months and next month means next year. Not perfect and not as fair as it should be but it helps me since many years. Cheers :beer:

Carlonike asked a simple question and the question was fully answered. I do not know, why you white-washing the actual situation. At least a sign of life from the developer should be possible or are the most problems discussed on the listserver??? to 1)Thunderbird and Sylpheed are configurable and especially Sylpheed is lightning fast or even faster than the roadrunner *meep* *meep* to 2)Do you know "portableapps.com"? Your favorite software everywhere... Having your complete desktop in the pocket on a stick/portable-ssd works since at least WinXP. to 3)Simplicity does not matter, if you can not read an email. HTML-mails are a piece of crap/nightmare but they exist. I get more and more emails with a ridicuoulos amount of html formattings, fonts or font styles and not more than 10 words of content. Sometimes this 10 words includes "Dear madam/sir" or "Best regards"... Perhaps it helps other users to calm down, if they following the history bases translation of communicated timeframes. This means weeks = months and next month means next year. Not perfect and not as fair as it should be but it helps me since many years. Cheers :beer:

Trying to stay civil here. I have not "white-washed" anything. The endless update delays are well-known and even the developer is the first to admit it. It has to do with all sorts of limitations on time, finance, health. It is what it is. This has been a free service from one person's remarkable efforts. Beyond criticizing, have you helped support it at all?

Your other client solutions may well work for you. I have tested these and others; nothing comes close to showing me the range of windows to see quickly all on 1 single view with no additional clicks needed to get a complete overview of everything, with all the tweeks I want. Portableapps is a solution to another problem; I just want to quickly back up mail. All works well for me. Feel free to use your experience on other software if Pegasus does not work for you.

I just want to recognize David's good work and hope yes, this will speed up the long-delayed release of V5. My last words on this.

Trying to stay civil here. I have not "white-washed" anything. The endless update delays are well-known and even the developer is the first to admit it. It has to do with all sorts of limitations on time, finance, health. It is what it is. This has been a free service from one person's remarkable efforts. Beyond criticizing, have you helped support it at all? Your other client solutions may well work for you. I have tested these and others; nothing comes close to showing me the range of windows to see quickly all on 1 single view with no additional clicks needed to get a complete overview of everything, with all the tweeks I want. Portableapps is a solution to another problem; I just want to quickly back up mail. All works well for me. Feel free to use your experience on other software if Pegasus does not work for you. I just want to recognize David's good work and hope yes, this will speed up the long-delayed release of V5. My last words on this.

I do not have to try to be civilized, I am always polite, but I'm also critical.
I do not do anyone badly, but I criticize the developer's lack of presence in an extremely fast-moving time and the beta crew members are too calm for me. Apparently there is still more traffic on the listserver than here in the forum and a lot of work has been invested in it. This is not very trustworthy for new users and has a rather deterrent effect.
For myself, I am not interested in knowing the percentage of a job that is completed. I am more interested in the real problem areas like OAuth2.
My help consists in donations and I also reported a problem in the Imap4 server in Mercury. That is not a lot, but I am neither rich nor a programmer. My daily work does not involve any RFC rules or server software.

I am aware that my program selection will not suit every user, but they are worth a closer look. And yes, both have other flaws, unfortunately.

Cheers :beer:

I do not have to try to be civilized, I am always polite, but I'm also critical. I do not do anyone badly, but I criticize the developer's lack of presence in an extremely fast-moving time and the beta crew members are too calm for me. Apparently there is still more traffic on the listserver than here in the forum and a lot of work has been invested in it. This is not very trustworthy for new users and has a rather deterrent effect. For myself, I am not interested in knowing the percentage of a job that is completed. I am more interested in the real problem areas like OAuth2. My help consists in donations and I also reported a problem in the Imap4 server in Mercury. That is not a lot, but I am neither rich nor a programmer. My daily work does not involve any RFC rules or server software. I am aware that my program selection will not suit every user, but they are worth a closer look. And yes, both have other flaws, unfortunately. Cheers :beer:

I apologize if I seemed impertinent or offensive to anyone. I am Italian and my English is probably not perfect. I have been using Pegasus Mail for over twenty years! But in all this time the graphic improvements are practically absent! Put yourself in the shoes of a new user who installs this program, it will seem to him to make a leap into the computer past. Then if this new user has the will and patience to learn how to use Pegasus Mail, he will find it full of features and suitable for his needs. But it would be nice to have an overall restyling of the graphics as well as functions such as the management of the address book, increase the speed of mail search, improve the management of e-mail attachments (it would be great to select a series of messages and save all the attachments in one click ...). I look forward to the new features, at the beginning of October it should have been a matter of a couple of weeks... It's been two months. It is useless to deceive the users. Best regards.

I apologize if I seemed impertinent or offensive to anyone. I am Italian and my English is probably not perfect. I have been using Pegasus Mail for over twenty years! But in all this time the graphic improvements are practically absent! Put yourself in the shoes of a new user who installs this program, it will seem to him to make a leap into the computer past. Then if this new user has the will and patience to learn how to use Pegasus Mail, he will find it full of features and suitable for his needs. But it would be nice to have an overall restyling of the graphics as well as functions such as the management of the address book, increase the speed of mail search, improve the management of e-mail attachments (it would be great to select a series of messages and save all the attachments in one click ...). I look forward to the new features, at the beginning of October it should have been a matter of a couple of weeks... It's been two months. It is useless to deceive the users. Best regards.
edited Dec 5 '21 at 4:44 pm

Perhaps I'm missing something, but having read a little about OAuth2, I can't really see the benefit of it in email software.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but having read a little about OAuth2, I can't really see the benefit of it in email software.
edited Dec 7 '21 at 10:19 pm

Beneficial or not, it is becoming a required authentication standard by big boys like MS and Gmail. If you missed the most recent Pegasus Mail developer news you can read it here: http://www.pmail.com/devnews.htm

Beneficial or not, it is becoming a required authentication standard by big boys like MS and Gmail. If you missed the most recent Pegasus Mail developer news you can read it here: [http://www.pmail.com/devnews.htm](http://www.pmail.com/devnews.htm)

Well, that's me told. I'll crawl back under a rock ...

Well, that's me told. I'll crawl back under a rock ...

Just another short note here (and sorry if I missed other details in this thread): David Harris just wrote a short message to us beta-testers yesterday and I think I'm not doing wrong in sharing the most important detail of it for you here - and please keep in mind the he's always very reluctant when it comes to making any promises with regard to future release dates:

I'm in a kind of self-induced frenzy here trying to get the OAUTH2 code
working so I can include it in the v4.8 release: I feel like I'm very near, but it's
honestly like wading through treacle [...] I'm giving myself until December 14th to get this working, and if it's not ready by then, I'll release v4.8 as-is, with a promise that the OAUTH2 code will be released as soon as possible.

Just another short note here (and sorry if I missed other details in this thread): David Harris just wrote a short message to us beta-testers yesterday and I think I'm not doing wrong in sharing the most important detail of it _for you_ here - and please keep in mind the he's always **very** reluctant when it comes to making any promises with regard to future release dates: > I'm in a kind of self-induced frenzy here trying to get the OAUTH2 code working so I can include it in the v4.8 release: I feel like I'm very near, but it's honestly like wading through treacle [...] I'm giving myself until December 14th to get this working, and if it's not ready by then, I'll release v4.8 as-is, with a promise that the OAUTH2 code will be released as soon as possible.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

December 14th is over ... So when ?.

This is exactly why David Harris doesn't make any promises - and so don't I. We've got to live with it.

[quote="pid:53081, uid:2274"]December 14th is over ... So when ?.[/quote] This is exactly why David Harris doesn't make any promises - and so don't I. We've got to live with it.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

FYI: Current official (!) projection is a release before New Year's eve, a final test release is on its way.

FYI: Current official (!) projection is a release before New Year's eve, a final test release is on its way.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

There is nothing --- and I mean NOTHING ...
more important than the full implementation of OAuth 2.

Gmail appear to have totally blocked "Less Secure Apps" for new Gmail Address
but still allow POP access for older Gmail addresses.

Be sure to access your gmail from Pegasus at least once a month.
If you don't use it, you will loose it .... for good!

There is nothing --- and I mean NOTHING ... more important than the full implementation of OAuth 2. Gmail appear to have totally blocked "Less Secure Apps" for new Gmail Address but still allow POP access for older Gmail addresses. Be sure to access your gmail from Pegasus at least once a month. If you don't use it, you will loose it .... for good!

I figured that Google would eventually do away with their "allow less secure apps" option but what about their application password option? Did you try it?

I figured that Google would eventually do away with their "allow less secure apps" option but what about their application password option? Did you try it?

No - I did not try the application password thingee.
The instructions seemed a bit nebulous, so I didn't bother.

I'm happy to wait for the Pegasus fix.

No - I did not try the application password thingee. The instructions seemed a bit nebulous, so I didn't bother. I'm happy to wait for the Pegasus fix.
edited Dec 27 '21 at 9:46 pm

Here a help site from google to activate without OAuth.
https://support.google.com/a/answer/9003945

Here a help site from google to activate without OAuth. [https://support.google.com/a/answer/9003945](https://support.google.com/a/answer/9003945?hl=en#less_secure&app_passwords&imap_gmail&older_outlook& "https://support.google.com/a/answer/9003945?hl=en#less_secure&app_passwords&imap_gmail&older_outlook&")

Pegasus v4.81 Beta

live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft