Pegasus Mail Suggestions
An ode to Pegasus Mail.

The saddest thing about Pegasus Mail is that I really can't use it anymore. Let me explain. I have been a Pegasus and Mercury user for more years than I would care to admit. Way before smartphones that could get email in any case. When the only way to get your email was on a computer, I used Pegasus as an email client and I was quite happy with it. Then later got Mercury and my own email domain and I put the mailboxes on a file server and used Pegasus from various PCs around my house. All very good.

Then came smartphones and eventually I had to have access to my email on my phone, so I accessed it with IMAP on the phone and the standard Pegasus interface on my computers. All was still good. Occasionally a folder got corrupted, but I knew how to recover from that.

It turned out that it was a "bug" in Mercury at the time that it allowed the mailboxes to be concurrently accessed from the standard Pegasus interface and IMAP clients concurrently. A certain release of Mercury fixed that "bug." I am putting the word "bug" in quotes because for me it was a feature, not a bug. In any event, I mostly stopped using Pegasus and started using Outlook because I used Outlook at work anyway, and it had decent IMAP support. In spite of the "bug" fix, folder corruption happened occasionally anyway, so I would use Pegasus as a tool to fix corruption, and sometimes to delete new mail items that did not actually get deleted through the IMAP interface. I was sad about not being able to use Pegasus which I preferred to Outlook, but such is life. Eventually Mercury would add support for concurrent IMAP and standard Pegasus access, if only I could hold on long enough. Or so I thought.

Well, it's been years and so far that hasn't happened. As I like to say, Hillary Clinton is not the only American with a mail server in her basement. Sometimes I even get a laugh from that. But the mail server crashes from time to time, sometimes when I am on vacation, and then I don't get mail for a while. My mail also has about a 20 minute delay coming in because of the forwarding service I use. Let me tell you: in this day and age a 20 minute delay can be a problem if you are waiting for a password reset link that expires after 15 minutes, or if you are on the phone with a tech support person that assume email is practically real time. But I diverge.

The bottom line is that I (and my spouse) have reluctantly started using Gmail for our more important emails, rather than my own domain. I've pretty much given up on ever being able to use Pegasus in native mode again. I don't fault David Harris in any way, though. If it wasn't for how much I like Pegasus, I wouldn't miss it. As they say, "it's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all." And who knows? Maybe someday I'll be pleasantly surprised.

The saddest thing about Pegasus Mail is that I really can't use it anymore. Let me explain. I have been a Pegasus and Mercury user for more years than I would care to admit. Way before smartphones that could get email in any case. When the only way to get your email was on a computer, I used Pegasus as an email client and I was quite happy with it. Then later got Mercury and my own email domain and I put the mailboxes on a file server and used Pegasus from various PCs around my house. All very good. Then came smartphones and eventually I had to have access to my email on my phone, so I accessed it with IMAP on the phone and the standard Pegasus interface on my computers. All was still good. Occasionally a folder got corrupted, but I knew how to recover from that. It turned out that it was a "bug" in Mercury at the time that it allowed the mailboxes to be concurrently accessed from the standard Pegasus interface and IMAP clients concurrently. A certain release of Mercury fixed that "bug." I am putting the word "bug" in quotes because for me it was a feature, not a bug. In any event, I mostly stopped using Pegasus and started using Outlook because I used Outlook at work anyway, and it had decent IMAP support. In spite of the "bug" fix, folder corruption happened occasionally anyway, so I would use Pegasus as a tool to fix corruption, and sometimes to delete new mail items that did not actually get deleted through the IMAP interface. I was sad about not being able to use Pegasus which I preferred to Outlook, but such is life. Eventually Mercury would add support for concurrent IMAP and standard Pegasus access, if only I could hold on long enough. Or so I thought. Well, it's been years and so far that hasn't happened. As I like to say, Hillary Clinton is not the only American with a mail server in her basement. Sometimes I even get a laugh from that. But the mail server crashes from time to time, sometimes when I am on vacation, and then I don't get mail for a while. My mail also has about a 20 minute delay coming in because of the forwarding service I use. Let me tell you: in this day and age a 20 minute delay can be a problem if you are waiting for a password reset link that expires after 15 minutes, or if you are on the phone with a tech support person that assume email is practically real time. But I diverge. The bottom line is that I (and my spouse) have reluctantly started using Gmail for our more important emails, rather than my own domain. I've pretty much given up on ever being able to use Pegasus in native mode again. I don't fault David Harris in any way, though. If it wasn't for how much I like Pegasus, I wouldn't miss it. As they say, "it's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all." And who knows? Maybe someday I'll be pleasantly surprised.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft