Community Discussions and Support
IERenderer 2.6.4.33 - How to avoid Image Loading Error Notification

Hi Michael,
Hi guys,

Is there an opportunity to avoid the following error message in case any images, which should be loaded, are moved permanantly? This is annoying my users. I've checked the IERenderer settings but didn't find an option.
The affected sender addresses are already included in "list of allowed external images".

61b8683632eb4

Hi Michael, Hi guys, Is there an opportunity to avoid the following error message in case any images, which should be loaded, are moved permanantly? This is annoying my users. I've checked the IERenderer settings but didn't find an option. The affected sender addresses are already included in "list of allowed external images". ![61b8683632eb4](serve/attachment&path=61b8683632eb4)

Seems like they don't only get annoyed but also loose their ability to read and understand the message shown in this dialog: Did you ever get the idea to click on the "Weiterleitungen" link? It will directly open IER's configuration page where you can disable the respective redirection option named "Umleitung" (ok, maybe I should rename it, but clicking context help on this option would have explained the details). In IER's help the respective paragraph is named "Adressenumleitung", but the word "Weiterleitung" is mentioned therein, so a simple text search would have spotted it. What else can I do?

If it doesn't work for you for whatever reason please let me know ...

Seems like they don't only get annoyed but also loose their ability to read and understand the message shown in this dialog: Did you ever get the idea to click on the "Weiterleitungen" link? It will directly open IER's configuration page where you can disable the respective redirection option named "Umleitung" (ok, maybe I should rename it, but clicking context help on this option would have explained the details). In IER's help the respective paragraph is named "Adressenumleitung", but the word "Weiterleitung" is mentioned therein, so a simple text search would have spotted it. What else can I do? If it doesn't work for you for whatever reason please let me know ...
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

Moin Michael,
Keep calm. We are able to read this message popup and did it. But clicking on the link "Weiterleitungen" opens a browser window with following screen only:

61b9aee90aa03

That's why I also tried to understand the IERenderer settings. But firstly and as you said, "Umleitung" might be a different thing than "Weiterleitungen".
And secondly we don't want to enable the activation of "Umleitung/Weiterleitung" in general for all sender addresses because of the security gap.
That's why we thought "adding a sender address to the list of allowed external images" permanently authorises the loading of images from this sender, but irrespective of external loading or or loading from forwarded addresses or whatever else.

Moin Michael, Keep calm. We are able to read this message popup and did it. But clicking on the link "Weiterleitungen" opens a browser window with following screen only: ![61b9aee90aa03](serve/attachment&path=61b9aee90aa03) That's why I also tried to understand the IERenderer settings. But firstly and as you said, "Umleitung" might be a different thing than "Weiterleitungen". And secondly we don't want to enable the activation of "Umleitung/Weiterleitung" in general for all sender addresses because of the security gap. That's why we thought "adding a sender address to the list of allowed external images" permanently authorises the loading of images from this sender, but irrespective of external loading or or loading from forwarded addresses or whatever else.

I also get these annoying errormessages, since I updated IERenderer. Before the update, "permanently moved" pictures weren't displayed - without the message.

In my opinion, the older behaviour was the better one. I don't want to activate redirections , but I also don't want these errormessages...

Best regards

Martin

I also get these annoying errormessages, since I updated IERenderer. Before the update, "permanently moved" pictures weren't displayed - without the message. In my opinion, the older behaviour was the better one. I don't want to activate redirections , but I also don't want these errormessages... Best regards Martin

In my opinion, the older behaviour was the better one.

Well, that's not an option (anymore) since people will certainly complain about pictures not being displayed for an unknown reason and complain to me about a bug in IER. It's not me applying all these redirections and, just for the record: I don't understand anyway why image display needs to be enabled since (at least from my experience) they almost exclusively come with commercial or spam mails, and finally there's always an easy way for displaying them in you browser via context menu which most probably has a lot better safety privacy precautions than Pegasus Mail's renderers can provide.

[quote="pid:53064, uid:4506"]In my opinion, the older behaviour was the better one.[/quote] Well, that's not an option (anymore) since people will certainly complain about pictures not being displayed for an unknown reason and complain to me about a bug in IER. It's not me applying all these redirections and, just for the record: I don't understand anyway why image display needs to be enabled since (at least from my experience) they almost exclusively come with commercial or spam mails, and finally there's always an easy way for displaying them in you browser via context menu which most probably has a lot better safety privacy precautions than Pegasus Mail's renderers can provide.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

But clicking on the link "Weiterleitungen" opens a browser window with following screen only:
[graphic]
That's why I also tried to understand the IERenderer settings. But firstly and as you said, "Umleitung" might be a different thing than "Weiterleitungen".
And secondly we don't want to enable the activation of "Umleitung/Weiterleitung" in general for all sender addresses because of the security gap.
That's why we thought "adding a sender address to the list of allowed external images" permanently authorises the loading of images from this sender, but irrespective of external loading or or loading from forwarded addresses or whatever else.

Ok, how about providing all these details when starting a thread next time, Joerg? I'm always trying to provide as much help as I can when writing my code but I certainly can't guess your thoughts and feelings about its outcomes unless you tell (and you know that the only feedback developers always get for free is the negative one, don't you?).

So I've now renamed the option from Umleitung to Weiterleitung, and there already is a domain list maintained with the ones already encountered, IOW: If you clicked whatever you want for closing the dialog you are complaining about you won't get asked again during the actual Pegasus Mail session. There isn't a permanent list, though.

So here's my question: Is it worth it to make it permanent (I would vote for an option provided from within the same dialog, if so? To me it would only make sense if you frequently or regularly get messages from a couple of distinct domains like newsletters which don't randomly switch ...

And I'll check the dialog links, of course.

[quote="pid:53062, uid:3785"]But clicking on the link "Weiterleitungen" opens a browser window with following screen only: [graphic] That's why I also tried to understand the IERenderer settings. But firstly and as you said, "Umleitung" might be a different thing than "Weiterleitungen". And secondly we don't want to enable the activation of "Umleitung/Weiterleitung" in general for all sender addresses because of the security gap. That's why we thought "adding a sender address to the list of allowed external images" permanently authorises the loading of images from this sender, but irrespective of external loading or or loading from forwarded addresses or whatever else.[/quote] Ok, how about providing all these details when starting a thread next time, Joerg? I'm always trying to provide as much help as I can when writing my code but I certainly can't guess your thoughts and feelings about its outcomes unless you tell (and you know that the only feedback developers always get for free is the negative one, don't you?). So I've now renamed the option from _Umleitung_ to _Weiterleitung_, and there already _is_ a domain list maintained with the ones already encountered, IOW: If you clicked whatever you want for closing the dialog you are complaining about you won't get asked again during the actual Pegasus Mail session. There isn't a permanent list, though. So here's my question: Is it worth it to make it permanent (I would vote for an option provided from within the same dialog, if so? To me it would only make sense if you frequently or regularly get messages from a couple of distinct domains like newsletters which don't randomly switch ... And I'll check the dialog links, of course.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Dec 15 '21 at 11:58 pm

So here's my question: Is it worth it to make it permanent (I would vote for an option provided from within the same dialog, if so? To me it would only make sense if you frequently or regularly get messages from a couple of distinct domains like newsletters which don't randomly switch ...

From my experiences, normal users don't understand why the Pmail behaviour (for loading external images) is to be adjusted at different locations. The user is able to set it here:

61baeae94bdc0

But irrespective whether the sender address or sender domain has already been added to that list for frequently received newsletters or advertisements, the additional popup windows appears often in IERenderer.

If this general behaviour could not be simplified/standardized, because the coding of Pmail core program and IERenderer are two different things from different programmers, then of course I would vote for an option within the IERenderer error message to permanent save the permission to load external and/or moved images from this domain.
But since things may change, those allowed domain list should be editable in case certain domains should be removed later.

Another thought in this regard: If you create such a new "permanent list", where would it be saved to? We are using a central Pmail installation at a server where every user is starting its Pmail session from. It would be nice if such a list would be saved in each user mailbox directory (similar to pmail.ini) for admin access and not on the local machine.

[quote="pid:53066, uid:2133"]So here's my question: Is it worth it to make it permanent (I would vote for an option provided from within the same dialog, if so? To me it would only make sense if you frequently or regularly get messages from a couple of distinct domains like newsletters which don't randomly switch ...[/quote] From my experiences, normal users don't understand why the Pmail behaviour (for loading external images) is to be adjusted at different locations. The user is able to set it here: ![61baeae94bdc0](serve/attachment&path=61baeae94bdc0) But irrespective whether the sender address or sender domain has already been added to that list for frequently received newsletters or advertisements, the additional popup windows appears often in IERenderer. If this general behaviour could not be simplified/standardized, because the coding of Pmail core program and IERenderer are two different things from different programmers, then of course I would vote for an option within the IERenderer error message to permanent save the permission to load external and/or moved images from this domain. But since things may change, those allowed domain list should be editable in case certain domains should be removed later. Another thought in this regard: If you create such a new "permanent list", where would it be saved to? We are using a central Pmail installation at a server where every user is starting its Pmail session from. It would be nice if such a list would be saved in each user mailbox directory (similar to pmail.ini) for admin access and not on the local machine.

From my experiences, normal users don't understand why the Pmail behaviour (for loading external images) is to be adjusted at different locations. The user is able to set it here:
[screenshot]

That one serves a different purpose and comes close to what other email "clients" do: My current freemail provider's webmail interface, e.g., only offers a global on/off option, so having more than that is already an advanced feature compared to that. And switching an option in an error dialog isn't too much of an effort if they don't just press the [Esc] key before reading it - assuming we're talking about literate adults, off course.

But irrespective whether the sender address or sender domain has already been added to that list for frequently received newsletters or advertisements, the additional popup windows appears often in IERenderer.[/quote]

OK, maybe I need to check my code with regard to this, there might be something going wrong and I just didn't notice it since I almost never download remote graphics.

If this general behaviour could not be simplified/standardized, because the coding of Pmail core program and IERenderer are two different things from different programmers, then of course I would vote for an option within the IERenderer error message to permanent save the permission to load external and/or moved images from this domain.

They are "different things" and the advantage of this is my capability to quickly fix issues like this while asking David Harris for doing so will only lead to even more delays in his own development efforts than we already encounter anyway. Aside from this (paraphrasing from above): Just ticking a check box without having to open IER's config dialog shouldn't really overstress your users ... And, BTW: Extending the existing menu option would really be a big effort especially if I would have to hack it into Pegasus Mail without David's support ...

It would be nice if such a list would be saved in each user mailbox directory (similar to pmail.ini) for admin access and not on the local machine.

I'm not a beginner anmore, Joerg, and in fact config files like this would go into the new mailbox location since this is the one which isn't allowed to be changed by users no matter what - as opposed to the home mailbox (which can be changed via PM's options dialog): For the average user they are usually in the same location, but Pegasus Mail saves its own config files in the new mailbox directory as well for exactly the same reason. I'm retrieving this information directly from Pegasus Mail itself.

[quote="pid:53067, uid:3785"]From my experiences, normal users don't understand why the Pmail behaviour (for loading external images) is to be adjusted at different locations. The user is able to set it here: [screenshot][/quote] That one serves a different purpose and comes close to what other email "clients" do: My current freemail provider's webmail interface, e.g., only offers a global on/off option, so having more than that is already an advanced feature compared to that. And switching an option in an error dialog isn't too much of an effort if they don't just press the [Esc] key before reading it - assuming we're talking about literate adults, off course. > But irrespective whether the sender address or sender domain has already been added to that list for frequently received newsletters or advertisements, the additional popup windows appears often in IERenderer.[/quote] OK, maybe I need to check my code with regard to this, there might be something going wrong and I just didn't notice it since I almost never download remote graphics. > If this general behaviour could not be simplified/standardized, because the coding of Pmail core program and IERenderer are two different things from different programmers, then of course I would vote for an option within the IERenderer error message to permanent save the permission to load external and/or moved images from this domain. They _are_ "different things" and the advantage of this is my capability to quickly fix issues like this while asking David Harris for doing so will only lead to even more delays in his own development efforts than we already encounter anyway. Aside from this (paraphrasing from above): Just ticking a check box without having to open IER's config dialog shouldn't really overstress your users ... And, BTW: Extending the existing menu option would really be a big effort especially if I would have to hack it into Pegasus Mail without David's support ... > It would be nice if such a list would be saved in each user mailbox directory (similar to pmail.ini) for admin access and not on the local machine. I'm not a beginner anmore, Joerg, and in fact config files like this would go into the _new mailbox_ location since this is the one which isn't allowed to be changed by users no matter what - as opposed to the _home mailbox_ (which can be changed via PM's options dialog): For the average user they are usually in the same location, but Pegasus Mail saves its own config files in the _new mailbox_ directory as well for exactly the same reason. I'm retrieving this information directly from Pegasus Mail itself.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Thanks for explanations and your effort, Michael. I'm curious about your changes.

Merry Christmas.

edit: Just received the regular Heise Security Newsletter, which triggers the error message, too. Surprisingly, this time I was distracted and didn't click on the Yes/No button in time. And after a few seconds Pmail automatically started loading the images.

What ever, if you need further example mails, please let me know. But I guess you are collecting enough spam by yourself.

Thanks for explanations and your effort, Michael. I'm curious about your changes. Merry Christmas. edit: Just received the regular Heise Security Newsletter, which triggers the error message, too. Surprisingly, this time I was distracted and didn't click on the Yes/No button in time. And after a few seconds Pmail automatically started loading the images. What ever, if you need further example mails, please let me know. But I guess you are collecting enough spam by yourself.
edited Dec 20 '21 at 10:33 am
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft