Community Discussions and Support
IERenderer 2.6.5.1

Can't get away without the usual quick fix, here comes and will also be included with the imminent Pegasus Mail 4.8 update, of course:

• Unfortunately I didn't have all background color issues fixed as announced for the previous update which has been caught up on now.
  • Then I've taken care that dismissing the BlockList confirmation dialog without making a choice doesn't automatically result in downloading redirected images.
  • Furthermore I added the name of the domain being blocked or allowed for redirection to the confirmation request message to decide on.
  • And I would like to add that I also fixed for the previous update already the on/off effect of the URL tooltips while moving across larger linked pictures.

As usual available via https://www.pmpgp.de/renderer/History.htm.

Can't get away without the usual quick fix, here comes and will also be included with the imminent Pegasus Mail 4.8 update, of course: - Unfortunately I didn't have all background color issues fixed as announced for the previous update which has been caught up on now. - Then I've taken care that dismissing the BlockList confirmation dialog without making a choice doesn't automatically result in downloading redirected images. - Furthermore I added the name of the domain being blocked or allowed for redirection to the confirmation request message to decide on. - And I would like to add that I also fixed for the previous update already the on/off effect of the URL tooltips while moving across larger linked pictures. As usual available via https://www.pmpgp.de/renderer/History.htm.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C
edited Dec 26 '21 at 1:35 am

There is a problem with loading pictures.
After I loaded manual pictures in a mail with redirected pictures and select "Yes" (abort downloading redirect pictures) then in every mail I get an error for pictures. Also for normal pictures not redirected. And I will not be asked again for other redirected pictures in other mails!
After restart Pegasus it is normal again until I do the same as above.

61c80fb93eab8

And can you perhaps change the text of the buttons to be more clear what will be done.
I think it is better to say Instead of "Yes" "Abort" to not load the pictures.
And for "No" then "Continue" or "Load" to load the redirected pictures.
61c815659e511

There is a problem with loading pictures. After I loaded manual pictures in a mail with redirected pictures and select "Yes" (abort downloading redirect pictures) then in every mail I get an error for pictures. Also for normal pictures not redirected. And I will not be asked again for other redirected pictures in other mails! After restart Pegasus it is normal again until I do the same as above. ![61c80fb93eab8](serve/attachment&path=61c80fb93eab8) And can you perhaps change the text of the buttons to be more clear what will be done. I think it is better to say Instead of "Yes" "Abort" to not load the pictures. And for "No" then "Continue" or "Load" to load the redirected pictures. ![61c815659e511](serve/attachment&path=61c815659e511)

Pegasus v4.81 Beta

edited Dec 26 '21 at 7:11 am

There is a problem with loading pictures.
After I loaded manual pictures in a mail with redirected pictures and select "Yes" (abort downloading redirect pictures) then in every mail I get an error for pictures. Also for normal pictures not redirected. And I will not be asked again for other redirected pictures in other mails!
After restart Pegasus it is normal again until I do the same as above.

Yes, I have had this occur once in my own setup, I need to revisit it. I guess I just didn't reset a certain flag on loading new messages.

And can you perhaps change the text of the buttons to be more clear what will be done.
I think it is better to say Instead of "Yes" "Abort" to not load the pictures.
And for "No" then "Continue" or "Load" to load the redirected pictures.

Honestly, if looking at your screenshot, do you really think it could be any clearer? If I would rename "Yes" to "Abort" it would mean to abort the blocking, that's certainly not the purpose of this decision! Maybe I should add another Dialog asking "Really abort downloading" with a button "Cancel nevertheless?" to make it even more confusing? I'm sorry, but Do you want to block downloading, Yes or No is a pretty clear-cut decision IMO.

[quote="pid:53110, uid:29380"]There is a problem with loading pictures. After I loaded manual pictures in a mail with redirected pictures and select "Yes" (abort downloading redirect pictures) then in every mail I get an error for pictures. Also for normal pictures not redirected. And I will not be asked again for other redirected pictures in other mails! After restart Pegasus it is normal again until I do the same as above.[/quote] Yes, I have had this occur once in my own setup, I need to revisit it. I guess I just didn't reset a certain flag on loading new messages. [quote="pid:53110, uid:29380"]And can you perhaps change the text of the buttons to be more clear what will be done. I think it is better to say Instead of "Yes" "Abort" to not load the pictures. And for "No" then "Continue" or "Load" to load the redirected pictures.[/quote] Honestly, if looking at your screenshot, do you really think it could be any clearer? If I would rename "Yes" to "Abort" it would mean to abort the blocking, that's certainly _not_ the purpose of this decision! Maybe I should add another Dialog asking "Really abort downloading" with a button "Cancel nevertheless?" to make it even more confusing? I'm sorry, but _Do you want to block downloading, Yes or No_ is a pretty clear-cut decision IMO.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Dec 27 '21 at 9:31 pm

Yes, I have had this occur once in my own setup, I need to revisit it. I guess I just didn't reset a certain flag on loading new messages.

Found it and fixed it, I'll take care to get it included with Pegasus Mail 4.8 in case I'm not releasing another update before PM gets out the door.

[quote="pid:53115, uid:2133"]Yes, I have had this occur once in my own setup, I need to revisit it. I guess I just didn't reset a certain flag on loading new messages.[/quote] Found it and fixed it, I'll take care to get it included with Pegasus Mail 4.8 in case I'm not releasing another update before PM gets out the door.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Honestly, if looking at your screenshot, do you really think it could be any clearer? If I would rename "Yes" to "Abort" it would mean to abort the blocking, that's certainly not the purpose of this decision! Maybe I should add another Dialog asking "Really abort downloading" with a button "Cancel nevertheless?" to make it even more confusing? I'm sorry, but Do you want to block downloading, Yes or No is a pretty clear-cut decision IMO.

I must say i press partly first time on Yes when I want to download the pictures and then recognize that I need to press No to really download them. smile

What do you say about changing a little the text of the warning, perhaps like this or something similar?

"Do you want to abort downloading redirected pictures from 'amazon.de' or to continue the download? Closing window will also abort download"

Default choice: Abort Second choice: Continue

[quote="pid:53115, uid:2133"]Honestly, if looking at your screenshot, do you really think it could be any clearer? If I would rename "Yes" to "Abort" it would mean to abort the blocking, that's certainly not the purpose of this decision! Maybe I should add another Dialog asking "Really abort downloading" with a button "Cancel nevertheless?" to make it even more confusing? I'm sorry, but Do you want to block downloading, Yes or No is a pretty clear-cut decision IMO.[/quote] I must say i press partly first time on Yes when I want to download the pictures and then recognize that I need to press No to really download them. ;) What do you say about changing a little the text of the warning, perhaps like this or something similar? "Do you want to abort downloading redirected pictures from 'amazon.de' or to continue the download? Closing window will also abort download" Default choice: **Abort** Second choice: **Continue**

Pegasus v4.81 Beta

I generally agree with PM-1 that the dialog should be more user convenient.

I would even turn the matter around. When someone opens a mail, nowadays you can assume in most cases that they also want to see the included pictures (except you Michael smile - little joke, sorry).
So I would warn the user that the email intends to reload images, this can be dangerous and whether he really wants to do so.

Followed by the buttons: Continue Loading or Abort Loading

I generally agree with PM-1 that the dialog should be more user convenient. I would even turn the matter around. When someone opens a mail, nowadays you can assume in most cases that they also want to see the included pictures (except you Michael :) - little joke, sorry). So I would warn the user that the email intends to reload images, this can be dangerous and whether he really wants to do so. Followed by the buttons: **Continue Loading** or **Abort Loading**
edited Dec 28 '21 at 7:51 am

Michael,
just tried to answer to a mail containing Christmas Wishes from one of our customers. This mail contains an embedded animated gif image which will be shown correctly in Pmail. But it let Pmail crash when trying to answer. I've saved the gif and tried to compose a complete new mail followed by embedding this gif into the mail text - leads to immediately crashing of Pmail. Are you interested in this gif image? But due to data protection reasons I'm not able to share it here.

Michael, just tried to answer to a mail containing Christmas Wishes from one of our customers. This mail contains an embedded animated gif image which will be shown correctly in Pmail. But it let Pmail crash when trying to answer. I've saved the gif and tried to compose a complete new mail followed by embedding this gif into the mail text - leads to immediately crashing of Pmail. Are you interested in this gif image? But due to data protection reasons I'm not able to share it here.

I still do not understand, what the Weiterleitungen-dialog does. I have not activated the "Riskante Operationen - Weiterleitung" checkbox in the configurations. If I get mails with redirected and not redirected graphics from a sender, who is part of the "Liste erlaubter externer Grafiken", the Weiterleitungen-dialog appears. Will "Ja" stop all graphic-downloads or only the redirected graphics?

Confused

Martin

I still do not understand, what the Weiterleitungen-dialog does. I have not activated the "Riskante Operationen - Weiterleitung" checkbox in the configurations. If I get mails with redirected and not redirected graphics from a sender, who is part of the "Liste erlaubter externer Grafiken", the Weiterleitungen-dialog appears. Will "Ja" stop all graphic-downloads or only the redirected graphics? Confused Martin

I would even turn the matter around. When someone opens a mail, nowadays you can assume in most cases that they also want to see the included pictures (except you Michael smile - little joke, sorry)

And me!

I agree with PM-1 and Joerg that the dialog could be improved although for a different reason. To me it is too verbose. I would prefer something like
"Redirection warning: Continuing with image loading will load images from a third party >>domain<<. This is risky. Do you wish to continue loading these images?". Keep the permanent checkbox, maybe add a third button for more info (open another dialog containing most of the contents of the current dialog).

[quote=&quot;pid:53119, uid:3785&quot;]I would even turn the matter around. When someone opens a mail, nowadays you can assume in most cases that they also want to see the included pictures (except you Michael :) - little joke, sorry)[/quote] And me! I agree with PM-1 and Joerg that the dialog could be improved although for a different reason. To me it is too verbose. I would prefer something like &quot;Redirection warning: Continuing with image loading will load images from a third party &gt;&gt;domain&lt;&lt;. This is risky. Do you wish to continue loading these images?&quot;. Keep the permanent checkbox, maybe add a third button for more info (open another dialog containing most of the contents of the current dialog).

I agree with PM-1 and Joerg that the dialog could be improved although for a different reason. To me it is too verbose.

It's only like this for this group of errors since they are supposed to be "not so risky" according to some sources, and folks just need to read it once for all. Other errors will only contain the Hint paragraph.

[quote=&quot;pid:53123, uid:28772&quot;]I agree with PM-1 and Joerg that the dialog could be improved although for a different reason. To me it is too verbose.[/quote] It&#039;s only like this for this group of errors since they are supposed to be &quot;not so risky&quot; according to some sources, and folks just need to read it once for all. Other errors will only contain the _Hint_ paragraph.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

If I get mails with redirected and not redirected graphics from a sender, who is part of the "Liste erlaubter externer Grafiken", the Weiterleitungen-dialog appears. Will "Ja" stop all graphic-downloads or only the redirected graphics?

That was the idea, but it turned out not to work in a flawless way, I got all sorts of mixed results so I had to choose a "one for all" solution, unfortunately (Joerg will like it, though, I guess ;-)). But you might still get a mix if the redirection only occurs very late after other images have already been downloaded, we need to watch some more real world samples, I assume.

[quote=&quot;pid:53122, uid:4506&quot;]If I get mails with redirected and not redirected graphics from a sender, who is part of the &quot;Liste erlaubter externer Grafiken&quot;, the Weiterleitungen-dialog appears. Will &quot;Ja&quot; stop all graphic-downloads or only the redirected graphics?[/quote] That was the idea, but it turned out not to work in a flawless way, I got all sorts of mixed results so I had to choose a &quot;one for all&quot; solution, unfortunately (Joerg will like it, though, I guess ;-)). But you might still get a mix if the redirection only occurs very late after other images have already been downloaded, we need to watch some more real world samples, I assume.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Are you interested in this gif image? But due to data protection reasons I'm not able to share it here.

Of course I am, maybe you better zip it up and send it as an attachment to my personal address, you can pick it from IER's About ... dialog. NB to you and anyone else: Please don't try to forward any spam or crash messages etc. to my private address for testing, my provider is pretty strict in spam fighting, the CAB files created by my MiniDump extensions, e.g., are block in the middle of an SMTP delivery attempt (let alone zipped binaries). Please only use < beta-reports [at] pmail.gen.nz > for this stuff and drop me a line about having done so.

[quote=&quot;pid:53121, uid:3785&quot;]Are you interested in this gif image? But due to data protection reasons I&#039;m not able to share it here.[/quote] Of course I am, maybe you better zip it up and send it as an attachment to my personal address, you can pick it from IER&#039;s _About ..._ dialog. NB to you and anyone else: Please don&#039;t try to forward any spam or crash messages etc. to my private address for testing, my provider is pretty strict in spam fighting, the CAB files created by my MiniDump extensions, e.g., are block in the middle of an SMTP delivery attempt (let alone zipped binaries). Please only use &lt; beta-reports [at] pmail.gen.nz &gt; for this stuff and drop me a line about having done so.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Default choice: Abort Second choice: Continue

How about this one (German version):

61cd303a5cdaa

I could use a smaller font for the code explanation part (it's HTML resp. RTF), but this is now the release version of the update I'm going to announce after finishing my replies here.

[quote=&quot;pid:53118, uid:29380&quot;]Default choice: Abort Second choice: Continue[/quote] How about this one (German version): ![61cd303a5cdaa](serve/attachment&amp;path=61cd303a5cdaa) I could use a smaller font for the code explanation part (it&#039;s HTML resp. RTF), but this is now the release version of the update I&#039;m going to announce after finishing my replies here.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Dec 30 '21 at 4:11 am

I could use a smaller font for the code explanation part (it's HTML resp. RTF), but this is now the release version of the update I'm going to announce after finishing my replies here.

Well, since I forgot to adjust the text in the first paragraph properly I've now uploaded another update which also uses a smaller font for the error code explanation looking like this:

61cd3c5daec2e

[quote=&quot;pid:53141, uid:2133&quot;]I could use a smaller font for the code explanation part (it&#039;s HTML resp. RTF), but this is now the release version of the update I&#039;m going to announce after finishing my replies here.[/quote] Well, since I forgot to adjust the text in the first paragraph properly I&#039;ve now uploaded another update which also uses a smaller font for the error code explanation looking like this: ![61cd3c5daec2e](serve/attachment&amp;path=61cd3c5daec2e)
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Dec 30 '21 at 4:58 am

Of course I am, maybe you better zip it up and send it as an attachment to my personal address, you can pick it from IER's About ... dialog.

GIF has been sent to you as zipped attachment.

[quote=&quot;pid:53140, uid:2133&quot;]Of course I am, maybe you better zip it up and send it as an attachment to my personal address, you can pick it from IER&#039;s About ... dialog.[/quote] GIF has been sent to you as zipped attachment.

Of course I am, maybe you better zip it up and send it as an attachment to my personal address, you can pick it from IER's About ... dialog.

Well, since I forgot to adjust the text in the first paragraph properly I've now uploaded another update which also uses a smaller font for the error code explanation looking like this:

61cd3c5daec2e

Thanks again Michael for your effort, especially during Xmas times. Nevertheless I still have some constructive criticism:

Irrespective of the used font (this is cosmetics, but of course also important for visual people), I think this is too much text at all. I understand the intention to make the user fully familiar with the problem and the background. But e.g. my users are out after the second paragraph. The current description is a good description for techies and computer nerds like us smile but not so applicable to "normal folks", who only want to have their daily email queue done.
Since I'm parallel working in both clients, Pmail and Thunderbird, ... did you ever checked the small notification header bar of TB when receiving such mails? This is small and do not overburden the ordinary user.

Komm' gut rüber, Michael. Happy New Year

[quote=&quot;pid:53140, uid:2133&quot;]Of course I am, maybe you better zip it up and send it as an attachment to my personal address, you can pick it from IER&#039;s About ... dialog.[/quote] GIF has been sent to you as zipped attachment. [quote=&quot;pid:53142, uid:2133&quot;]Well, since I forgot to adjust the text in the first paragraph properly I&#039;ve now uploaded another update which also uses a smaller font for the error code explanation looking like this: 61cd3c5daec2e[/quote] Thanks again Michael for your effort, especially during Xmas times. Nevertheless I still have some constructive criticism: Irrespective of the used font (this is cosmetics, but of course also important for visual people), I think this is too much text at all. I understand the intention to make the user fully familiar with the problem and the background. But e.g. my users are out after the second paragraph. The current description is a good description for techies and computer nerds like us ]:) but not so applicable to &quot;normal folks&quot;, who only want to have their daily email queue done. Since I&#039;m parallel working in both clients, Pmail and Thunderbird, ... did you ever checked the small notification header bar of TB when receiving such mails? This is small and do not overburden the ordinary user. Komm&#039; gut r&uuml;ber, Michael. Happy New Year

The current description is a good description for techies and computer nerds like us smile but not so applicable to "normal folks", who only want to have their daily email queue done.

Funny thing is that it's almost exclusively the "nerds" complaining about things like this (crashes certainly, of course, as well as things that don't work), I cannot remember anyone else who ever did ... And, BTW, everyone can change the text themselves, but I don't want to publicly provide the details here since doing it improperly would make IER fail to work properly (and this is no joke).

Changed to add: One point for providing details is that folks (I could elaborate on gender here ...) never ever look at help files and because of this write to ask the support for figuring out whether to stop image downloads somehow (by pressing [Esc], just to repeat it here ;-) - or smile for the artist type of guys without noses).

[quote=&quot;pid:53145, uid:3785&quot;]The current description is a good description for techies and computer nerds like us smile but not so applicable to &quot;normal folks&quot;, who only want to have their daily email queue done.[/quote] Funny thing is that it&#039;s almost exclusively the &quot;nerds&quot; complaining about things like this (crashes certainly, of course, as well as things that don&#039;t work), I cannot remember anyone else who ever did ... And, BTW, everyone can change the text themselves, but I don&#039;t want to publicly provide the details here since doing it improperly would make IER fail to work properly (and this is no joke). Changed to add: One point for providing details is that folks (I could elaborate on gender here ...) _never ever_ look at help files and because of this write to ask the support for figuring out whether to stop image downloads somehow (by pressing [Esc], just to repeat it here ;-) - or ;) for the artist type of guys without noses).
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Dec 30 '21 at 5:51 pm

No crashes here after insertion via drag/drop => send and reply with quoted HTML including your GIF on Win7 which most probably means that the release candidate of PM 4.8 with its new HTS/TER modules (and maybe some of my RTF tweaks involved) does a better job than the version you're currently using. If it still crashes for you after the update I might need the original message from you (zipped CNM file if possible).

[quote=&quot;pid:53144, uid:3785&quot;]GIF has been sent to you as zipped attachment.[/quote] No crashes here after insertion via drag/drop =&gt; send and reply with quoted HTML including your GIF on Win7 which most probably means that the release candidate of PM 4.8 with its new HTS/TER modules (and maybe some of my RTF tweaks involved) does a better job than the version you&#039;re currently using. If it still crashes for you after the update I might need the original message from you (zipped CNM file if possible).
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Thanks for the update of IER. Works now fine so far.
Have you thought about the update notification? As I'm sure the normal user will never go inside the IER menu and press "Update IER" without pushed to it somehow. smile
I think the idea to put a overlay in the status bar could be a quick solution, to have a visual sign in case of new updates.
And then you can discuss with David if perhaps a kind of popup or something could be also be implemented.

And I wish all the best for 2022!

Thanks for the update of IER. Works now fine so far. Have you thought about the update notification? As I&#039;m sure the normal user will never go inside the IER menu and press &quot;Update IER&quot; without pushed to it somehow. ;) I think the idea to put a overlay in the status bar could be a quick solution, to have a visual sign in case of new updates. And then you can discuss with David if perhaps a kind of popup or something could be also be implemented. And I wish all the best for 2022!

Pegasus v4.81 Beta

edited Dec 31 '21 at 6:01 am

I think the idea to put a overlay in the status bar could be a quick solution, to have a visual sign in case of new updates.

Certainly not a quick solution since there's no interface in Pegasus Mail for doing such a thing - like there's none for most of the things I'm implementing. It's easy to add or remove a toolbar button via restart, but I would have to figure out how to modify or create an overlay for it by myself without requiring to restart (you never know how long people keep it running without a relaunch). And asking David for implementing anything to support this (he would very likely be willing to do so, I'm sure) will certainly delay the release of v4.8 further.

[quote=&quot;pid:53148, uid:29380&quot;]I think the idea to put a overlay in the status bar could be a quick solution, to have a visual sign in case of new updates.[/quote] Certainly _not_ a quick solution since there&#039;s no interface in Pegasus Mail for doing such a thing - like there&#039;s none for most of the things I&#039;m implementing. It&#039;s easy to add or remove a toolbar button via restart, but I would have to figure out how to modify or create an overlay for it by myself without requiring to restart (you never know how long people keep it running without a relaunch). And asking David for implementing anything to support this (he would very likely be willing to do so, I&#039;m sure) will certainly delay the release of v4.8 further.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft