Community Discussions and Support
IERenderer 2.6.5.1

No crashes here after insertion via drag/drop => send and reply with quoted HTML including your GIF on Win7 which most probably means that the release candidate of PM 4.8 with its new HTS/TER modules (and maybe some of my RTF tweaks involved) does a better job than the version you're currently using. If it still crashes for you after the update I might need the original message from you (zipped CNM file if possible).

I confirm that in v4.73 I don't experience the crash when inserting the animated gif via drag/drop. But when using the ordinary "Insert Image" (Bild einfügen) dialog by using the icon:

61d2c480e1852

Pmail still crashs. Please test it again Michael.

Pmail 4.73.639
IER 2.6.5.0
W10 21H2

[quote="pid:53147, uid:2133"]No crashes here after insertion via drag/drop => send and reply with quoted HTML including your GIF on Win7 which most probably means that the release candidate of PM 4.8 with its new HTS/TER modules (and maybe some of my RTF tweaks involved) does a better job than the version you're currently using. If it still crashes for you after the update I might need the original message from you (zipped CNM file if possible).[/quote] I confirm that in v4.73 I don't experience the crash when inserting the animated gif via drag/drop. But when using the ordinary "Insert Image" (Bild einfügen) dialog by using the icon: ![61d2c480e1852](serve/attachment&path=61d2c480e1852) Pmail still crashs. Please test it again Michael. Pmail 4.73.639 IER 2.6.5.0 W10 21H2
edited Jan 3 '22 at 9:57 am

It's easy to add or remove a toolbar button via restart

What about to add a second icon for IER which will be only shown when not the latest version is installed and it then lead directly to the update of IER?

[quote="pid:53152, uid:2133"]It's easy to add or remove a toolbar button via restart[/quote] What about to add a second icon for IER which will be only shown when not the latest version is installed and it then lead directly to the update of IER?

Pegasus v4.81 Beta

I confirm that in v4.73 I don't experience the crash when inserting the animated gif via drag/drop. But when using the ordinary "Insert Image" (Bild einfügen) dialog by using the icon:

I did this as well (just checked again), no crash, and even if it would, this one would be the only one which I could definitely not do anything about. The other two IER might have been involved in.

Edited to add: It even works as a wallpaper, pretty funny :-)

[quote="pid:53155, uid:3785"]I confirm that in v4.73 I don't experience the crash when inserting the animated gif via drag/drop. But when using the ordinary "Insert Image" (Bild einfügen) dialog by using the icon:[/quote] I did this as well (just checked again), no crash, and even if it would, this one would be the only one which I could definitely not do anything about. The other two IER might have been involved in. Edited to add: It even works as a wallpaper, pretty funny :-)
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C
edited Jan 3 '22 at 6:02 pm

What about to add a second icon for IER which will be only shown when not the latest version is installed and it then lead directly to the update of IER?

No and even more no. To the first one: This is really to intrusive, IER should not occupy even more space than it already does, I'm expecting to get into some troubles anyway (not that this would come as a surprise, some people just don't like any changes in life). And with regard to the second: Don't do any downloads without an explicit consent, this is even a legal requirement for newsletters in the EU, the more it should be with downloads of binaries to be executed on people's computers. They need to know in advance where they are directed to and what they are going to trigger if doing so, I'll only open the menu on click like before, here's what I have prepared now:

This will open the menu like this:

61d3363ebb09d
And it'll direct them to the history page. I'll make the download link stand out better than it currenty does, but this way they should have the chance to decide whether they feel good enough about installing the update.

I'm although thinking about automatically creating a backup of the current version - which I think would be required if making updates a more public feature this way, but this will definitely take its time because it would also require to implement a restore mechanism, most likely done by the installer so don't expect it to come too soon ...

[quote="pid:53156, uid:29380"]What about to add a second icon for IER which will be only shown when not the latest version is installed and it then lead directly to the update of IER?[/quote] No and even more no. To the first one: This is really to intrusive, IER should not occupy even more space than it already does, I'm expecting to get into some troubles anyway (not that this would come as a surprise, some people just don't like _any_ changes in life). And with regard to the second: _Don't do any downloads without an explicit consent_, this is even a legal requirement for _newsletters_ in the EU, the more it should be with downloads of binaries to be executed on people's computers. They need to know in advance where they are directed to and what they are going to trigger if doing so, I'll only open the menu on click like before, here's what I have prepared now: [TheButton.bmp](serve/attachment&path=61d335503a998) This will open the menu like this: ![61d3363ebb09d](serve/attachment&path=61d3363ebb09d) And it'll direct them to the history page. I'll make the download link stand out better than it currenty does, but this way they should have the chance to decide whether they feel good enough about installing the update. I'm although thinking about automatically creating a backup of the current version - which I think would be required if making updates a more public feature this way, but this will definitely take its time because it would also require to implement a restore mechanism, most likely done by the installer so don't expect it to come too soon ...
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Jan 3 '22 at 5:56 pm

And with regard to the second: Don't do any downloads without an explicit consent,

For sure I not ment to directly start any downloads but just to show then something like "Update available - do you want to download" smile

here's what I have prepared now:

That looks very good smile

[quote="pid:53159, uid:2133"]And with regard to the second: Don't do any downloads without an explicit consent,[/quote] For sure I not ment to directly start any downloads but just to show then something like "Update available - do you want to download" ;) [quote="pid:53159, uid:2133"]here's what I have prepared now:[/quote] That looks very good :)

Pegasus v4.81 Beta

Please do not forget the Pmail multi-user network installations, where IER is installed only once (for all users) in a Pmail subdirectory at a server where users have limited read/write permissions to. This is another reason that an automatic update, initiated by normal users, would fail (here with us)
But as long as a download link will be offered only, there should not be a problem since my limited users are not able to install anything.

Please do not forget the Pmail multi-user network installations, where IER is installed only once (for all users) in a Pmail subdirectory at a server where users have limited read/write permissions to. This is another reason that an automatic update, initiated by normal users, would fail (here with us) But as long as a download link will be offered only, there should not be a problem since my limited users are not able to install anything.

Please do not forget the Pmail multi-user network installations, where IER is installed only once (for all users) in a Pmail subdirectory at a server where users have limited read/write permissions to.

I currently really wish we could forget about networks since such an issue is delaying the release of Pegasus Mail 4.8 and none of the beta testers dealing with networks (I'm completely clueless with regard to networks) appear to care about making any suggestions as MS appears to have blocked all ways for allowing an installer to manage the following scenario. The only help I could find was this one, can anyone here confirm that this is a valid solution?

The question was:

Trying to install software to a mapped network drive

The suggestion was:

did you run the admin console elevated, then mapped the drive, then called the setup from the elevated console?

And the final reply:

When I executed the setup.exe from the console I get the option to choose the mapped drive instead of C: so that solved the problem.

Forgot to add the URL: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/Lync/en-US/.....?forum=win10itprogeneral

[quote="pid:53161, uid:3785"]Please do not forget the Pmail multi-user network installations, where IER is installed only once (for all users) in a Pmail subdirectory at a server where users have limited read/write permissions to.[/quote] I currently really wish we could forget about networks since such an issue is delaying the release of Pegasus Mail 4.8 and none of the beta testers dealing with networks (I'm completely clueless with regard to networks) appear to care about making any suggestions as MS appears to have blocked all ways for allowing an installer to manage the following scenario. The only help I could find was this one, can anyone here confirm that this is a valid solution? The question was: > Trying to install software to a mapped network drive The suggestion was: > did you run the admin console elevated, then mapped the drive, then called the setup from the elevated console? And the final reply: > When I executed the setup.exe from the console I get the option to choose the mapped drive instead of C: so that solved the problem. Forgot to add the URL: [https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/Lync/en-US/.....?forum=win10itprogeneral](https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/Lync/en-US/e26e378d-206b-4962-8e8b-695a557c3555/trying-to-install-software-to-a-mapped-network-drive?forum=win10itprogeneral)
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Jan 4 '22 at 5:40 pm

This is a tough one. The issue of installing to a mapped drive does not necessarily indicate a network. It could be a directory on a secondary or external drive that has been mapped for convenience. If on a network, it could be an enterprise domain network or a two PC home network, both very different beasts. One commonality of all of these is the challenge of correctly configured permissions, both Share permissions and NTFS permissions. Microsoft UAC adds an additional wrinkle, one that seems to continually evolve.

The referenced technet discussions revolves around a mapped drive that apparently was mapped by a standard user but an installer was being run with elevated privileges (Run as administrator). This was not possible because the administrator account did not have knowledge of the mapped drive. The installing program didn't fail here, the installing operator did.

If network and mapped drive installation discussion is to continue I think it needs its own topic.

This is a tough one. The issue of installing to a mapped drive does not necessarily indicate a network. It could be a directory on a secondary or external drive that has been mapped for convenience. If on a network, it could be an enterprise domain network or a two PC home network, both very different beasts. One commonality of all of these is the challenge of correctly configured permissions, both Share permissions and NTFS permissions. Microsoft UAC adds an additional wrinkle, one that seems to continually evolve. The referenced technet discussions revolves around a mapped drive that apparently was mapped by a standard user but an installer was being run with elevated privileges (Run as administrator). This was not possible because the administrator account did not have knowledge of the mapped drive. The installing program didn't fail here, the installing operator did. If network and mapped drive installation discussion is to continue I think it needs its own topic.

For mails without content but only with attachments, I get the following display :

61d80244c8669

When installing IERender 2.6.5.3 I selected french language. My customers being not fluent in english ... how to get this type of message in french ?.

For mails without content but only with attachments, I get the following display : ![61d80244c8669](serve/attachment&path=61d80244c8669) When installing IERender 2.6.5.3 I selected french language. My customers being not fluent in english ... how to get this type of message in french ?.

When there was a French version of Pegasus Mail available we had French speaking members in the beta-tester team translating and maintaining the administrative work like compiling, testing etc., but there's nobody left for doing this work anymore since a couple of years so there simply isn't anyone left to translate Pegasus Mail into other languages than German anymore.

But aside from this, you're talking about customers: If this means the recipients of your emails you don't need to worry: They would never get to see this text, it's just an error message directed at you as the Pegasus Mail reader telling you about what might have caused your otherwise blank screen and how to figure out a solution if there is one. Leaving it just blank wouldn't be a preferable solution IMO ...

And BTW: Switching to the French version of IER won't help any since there's no French version of Pegasus Mail anymore (unless using a very outdated one): IER will only use its French resources (the leftovers of the old version patched with several English parts since my familiarity with the French language is pretty close to zero) if Pegasus Mail itself launches using its French resources - which don't match the current versions either anymore.

When there was a French version of Pegasus Mail available we had French speaking members in the beta-tester team translating and maintaining the administrative work like compiling, testing etc., but there's nobody left for doing this work anymore since a couple of years so there simply isn't anyone left to translate Pegasus Mail into other languages than German anymore. But aside from this, you're talking about _customers_: If this means the _recipients of your emails_ you don't need to worry: They would never get to see this text, it's just an error message directed at you as the Pegasus Mail reader telling you about what might have caused your otherwise blank screen and how to figure out a solution if there is one. Leaving it just blank wouldn't be a preferable solution IMO ... And BTW: Switching to the French version of IER won't help any since there's no French version of Pegasus Mail anymore (unless using a very outdated one): IER will only use its French resources (the leftovers of the old version patched with several English parts since my familiarity with the French language is pretty close to zero) if Pegasus Mail itself launches using its French resources - which don't match the current versions either anymore.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Jan 8 '22 at 12:43 am
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft