Community Discussions and Support
Pegasus Mail and Verizon Mail on AOL

Verizon sent us to AOL e-mail but we kept our Verizon address. All was fine at first but recently Pegasus stopped connecting to the e-mail I can get it on the web but with Pegasus.

Any suggestions on how I can get Pegasus working again for my e-mail. I called AOL but they do not support Pegasus.
I know to get Thunderbird to work AOL you have to go to AOL and generate a password. I generated one for Pegasus but still no luck.

Any suggestions appreciated

Joe

Verizon sent us to AOL e-mail but we kept our Verizon address. All was fine at first but recently Pegasus stopped connecting to the e-mail I can get it on the web but with Pegasus. Any suggestions on how I can get Pegasus working again for my e-mail. I called AOL but they do not support Pegasus. I know to get Thunderbird to work AOL you have to go to AOL and generate a password. I generated one for Pegasus but still no luck. Any suggestions appreciated Joe

I believe you are on the right path in generating a password for Pegasus Mail. You are using it in the SMTP and POP3 hosts configurations (or IMAP definition) in Pegasus Mail right?

If so, you will need to determine the point of failure. To do this you need to create an internet sessions logs. These logs show the conversation between Pegasus Mail and the AOL server. A review of them will usually reveal the point of failure. To enable internet session logs go to Tools > Internet options then tick the "Create internet session logs...) at the bottom of the General tab.

Now, when you attempt to send or retrieve messages a log file will be created of that attempt. They will be located in you directory mailbox directory in called TCPLogs. The file extension identifies the activity the generated the file (.smtp, .pop, or .imap). These are plain text files which can be view with Notepad or similar. IMPORTANT: DO NOT POST A LOG FILE because they contain your login credentials, either in plain text or encoded in a format that is very easily decoded.

You want to generate a log and then view it to see if you can identify the point of failure. If you require help with that, let us know which type of log file you are looking at so that we can advise on what portion of not to post.

Also, when you post back please let us know if you are using POP3 or IMAP.

Don't forget to turn off internet session logging when you are done troubleshooting.

I believe you are on the right path in generating a password for Pegasus Mail. You are using it in the SMTP and POP3 hosts configurations (or IMAP definition) in Pegasus Mail right? If so, you will need to determine the point of failure. To do this you need to create an internet sessions logs. These logs show the conversation between Pegasus Mail and the AOL server. A review of them will usually reveal the point of failure. To enable internet session logs go to Tools > Internet options then tick the "Create internet session logs...) at the bottom of the General tab. Now, when you attempt to send or retrieve messages a log file will be created of that attempt. They will be located in you directory mailbox directory in called TCPLogs. The file extension identifies the activity the generated the file (.smtp, .pop, or .imap). These are plain text files which can be view with Notepad or similar. IMPORTANT: DO NOT POST A LOG FILE because they contain your login credentials, either in plain text or encoded in a format that is very easily decoded. You want to generate a log and then view it to see if you can identify the point of failure. If you require help with that, let us know which type of log file you are looking at so that we can advise on what portion of not to post. Also, when you post back please let us know if you are using POP3 or IMAP. Don't forget to turn off internet session logging when you are done troubleshooting.

Thank you I will work on that. I am using pop3

Here is some of the TCPO file

SSL/TLS session established
18:54:05.838: [] ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384, TLSv1.2, Kx=ECDH, Au=RSA, Enc=AESGCM(256), Mac=AEAD<lf>
18:54:05.838: [
] Peer's certificate name is '/C=US/ST=California/L=Sunnyvale/O=Oath Inc/CN=pop.aol.com'.
18:54:05.838: >> +OK Hello from jpop-0.1<cr><lf>
18:54:51.075: 8: Socket read timeout
18:54:51.075: >>
18:54:59.042: [*] OpenSSL secure session normally terminated.
18:54:59.042: --- Connection closed at 28 Dec 2021, 18:54:59.042. ---
18:54:59.042:

Thank you I will work on that. I am using pop3 Here is some of the TCPO file SSL/TLS session established 18:54:05.838: [*] ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384, TLSv1.2, Kx=ECDH, Au=RSA, Enc=AESGCM(256), Mac=AEAD&lt;lf&gt; 18:54:05.838: [*] Peer&#039;s certificate name is &#039;/C=US/ST=California/L=Sunnyvale/O=Oath Inc/CN=pop.aol.com&#039;. 18:54:05.838: &gt;&gt; +OK Hello from jpop-0.1&lt;cr&gt;&lt;lf&gt; 18:54:51.075: 8: Socket read timeout 18:54:51.075: &gt;&gt; 18:54:59.042: [*] OpenSSL secure session normally terminated. 18:54:59.042: --- Connection closed at 28 Dec 2021, 18:54:59.042. --- 18:54:59.042:
edited Dec 28 '21 at 11:58 pm

Do you have the correct settings for pop3 or imap? It looks like you need to continue with (POP3): pop.verizon.net and not pop.aol.com.
https://help.aol.com/articles/how-do-i-set-up-other-email-applications-to-send-and-receive-my-verizon-net-mail

Do you have the correct settings for pop3 or imap? It looks like you need to continue with (POP3): pop.verizon.net and not pop.aol.com. [https://help.aol.com/articles/how-do-i-set-up-other-email-applications-to-send-and-receive-my-verizon-net-mail](https://help.aol.com/articles/how-do-i-set-up-other-email-applications-to-send-and-receive-my-verizon-net-mail &quot;https://help.aol.com/articles/how-do-i-set-up-other-email-applications-to-send-and-receive-my-verizon-net-mail&quot;)

Pegasus v4.81 Beta

Settings are pop.verizon.net port 995 via direct SSL connect nothing else checked

Settings are pop.verizon.net port 995 via direct SSL connect nothing else checked

Kept playing with setting and got Pegasus working. Thanks for the help got me going in the right direction.

Kept playing with setting and got Pegasus working. Thanks for the help got me going in the right direction.

I see the last discussion on this topic that won't die (connecting to AOL's servers for a legacy Verizon account) was at the end of the previous year. Not long after that was the last time I had to deal with a connection failure (which I was able to resolve without needing to reach out in the forum), and so it has been about ten months of everything going well - until now.

Once in a while my PC, running Windows 10, suffers a glitch that results in dumping Pegasus Mail's settings, obligating me to go in and re-enter the info (from handwritten notes that I'm not sure are the latest settings). This happened a couple of days ago, but my attempts to get it back up have failed. Reading this forum I see where one poster advised always updating Pegasus Mail to the latest version, so I just did that (upgrading from 4.73 to 4.80) and there is no change in the problem. The dialog ends up with this:

12:47:34.440: >> +OK Password required.
<< 0015 PASS XXXXXXXX
12:47:44.538: 8: Socket read timeout
12:47:44.538: >>

This indicates to me that it is accepting my username (VZ email address) but not the password.

For the record, my internet email options are:

My Internet e-mail address is:
XXXXXX@verizon.net

Receiving (POP3)
Enter a name for this definition:
XXXXXX@verizon.net
Server host name: pop.verizon.net
User name: XXXXXX@verizon.net
Password: XXXXXXXX
Server TCP/IP port: 995
Via direct SSL connect

Sending (SMTP)
Enter a name for this definition:
XXXXXX@verizon.net
Server host name: smtp.verizon.net
Server TCP/IP port: 465
Via direct SSL connect
Login to the SMTP server using a POP3 username/password - From this POP3 definition: XXXXXX@verizon.net

Any suggestions what I'm doing wrong? Should I try resetting the password through connecting to AOL via my web browser?

I see the last discussion on this topic that won&#039;t die (connecting to AOL&#039;s servers for a legacy Verizon account) was at the end of the previous year. Not long after that was the last time I had to deal with a connection failure (which I was able to resolve without needing to reach out in the forum), and so it has been about ten months of everything going well - until now. Once in a while my PC, running Windows 10, suffers a glitch that results in dumping Pegasus Mail&#039;s settings, obligating me to go in and re-enter the info (from handwritten notes that I&#039;m not sure are the latest settings). This happened a couple of days ago, but my attempts to get it back up have failed. Reading this forum I see where one poster advised always updating Pegasus Mail to the latest version, so I just did that (upgrading from 4.73 to 4.80) and there is no change in the problem. The dialog ends up with this: 12:47:34.440: &gt;&gt; +OK Password required. &lt;&lt; 0015 PASS XXXXXXXX 12:47:44.538: 8: Socket read timeout 12:47:44.538: &gt;&gt; This indicates to me that it is accepting my username (VZ email address) but not the password. For the record, my internet email options are: My Internet e-mail address is: XXXXXX@verizon.net Receiving (POP3) Enter a name for this definition: XXXXXX@verizon.net Server host name: pop.verizon.net User name: XXXXXX@verizon.net Password: XXXXXXXX Server TCP/IP port: 995 Via direct SSL connect Sending (SMTP) Enter a name for this definition: XXXXXX@verizon.net Server host name: smtp.verizon.net Server TCP/IP port: 465 Via direct SSL connect Login to the SMTP server using a POP3 username/password - From this POP3 definition: XXXXXX@verizon.net Any suggestions what I&#039;m doing wrong? Should I try resetting the password through connecting to AOL via my web browser?

"Socket read timeout" indicates that Pegasus Mail timed out while waiting for a response from the server. Had the password been incorrect, the server response would have indicated it. The time stamps indicate that 10 seconds passed between the password send and the socket read timeout. If that is your timeout setting, consider increasing it. I set mine at 120. That may be overkill but it seems harmless to have it set that high.

Regarding Pegasus Mail v4.80, I want to make sure that you are aware of its two bugs. One (a crash caused by the mouse wheel) is resolved by updating IERenderer, even if you don't use it.
The other is associated with the database file that holds user saved dictionary words. It gets cleared each time the spell checker is used. The work around is to mark the file as read only. You can't add new words to it but at least you have the previously saved ones. If the file has already been cleared, restoring one from a backup and marking it as read only will work. The file is USRDICT5.PMD located in the mailbox directory.

&quot;Socket read timeout&quot; indicates that Pegasus Mail timed out while waiting for a response from the server. Had the password been incorrect, the server response would have indicated it. The time stamps indicate that 10 seconds passed between the password send and the socket read timeout. If that is your timeout setting, consider increasing it. I set mine at 120. That may be overkill but it seems harmless to have it set that high. Regarding Pegasus Mail v4.80, I want to make sure that you are aware of its two bugs. One (a crash caused by the mouse wheel) is resolved by updating IERenderer, even if you don&#039;t use it. The other is associated with the database file that holds user saved dictionary words. It gets cleared each time the spell checker is used. The work around is to mark the file as read only. You can&#039;t add new words to it but at least you have the previously saved ones. If the file has already been cleared, restoring one from a backup and marking it as read only will work. The file is USRDICT5.PMD located in the mailbox directory.

Thank you for taking a look at my problem; I had shortened the timeout so I wouldn't have to wait a long time for the error log to appear, and sure enough, lengthening it out made no difference.

I did try my own suggestion to reset the account password using my browser. That did the trick, and I have no idea why the previous password stopped working for PMail while continuing to work for logging in to AOL with the browser.

Thank you for taking a look at my problem; I had shortened the timeout so I wouldn&#039;t have to wait a long time for the error log to appear, and sure enough, lengthening it out made no difference. I did try my own suggestion to reset the account password using my browser. That did the trick, and I have no idea why the previous password stopped working for PMail while continuing to work for logging in to AOL with the browser.

Interesting. My Gmail account used to do that, requiring me to create a new password at random, but at least once a year. This was back when they had the option to "allow less secure apps".

I'm glad you figured it out.

Interesting. My Gmail account used to do that, requiring me to create a new password at random, but at least once a year. This was back when they had the option to &quot;allow less secure apps&quot;. I&#039;m glad you figured it out.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft