Community Discussions and Support
All incoming mail message fonts are blue

Since migrating to Windows 10 Pro on a new machine, all received message body text is in blue unless I select the alternative view (when available), in which case any embedded images are of couse not displayed

When I send myself a rich text message I can make the text any colour other than black - that becomes blue when I receive the email.

This does not happen on any other machine with Windows 10 Pro.

I cannot find any reference to this anywhere on the web. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Since migrating to Windows 10 Pro on a new machine, all received message body text is in blue unless I select the alternative view (when available), in which case any embedded images are of couse not displayed When I send myself a rich text message I can make the text any colour other than black - that becomes blue when I receive the email. This does not happen on any other machine with Windows 10 Pro. I cannot find any reference to this anywhere on the web. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

I don't know of any setting within Pegasus Mail that controls font color. Is it only blue in Pegasus Mail or also blue in Notepad and Wordpad, maybe even File Explorer?

I don't know of any setting within Pegasus Mail that controls font color. Is it only blue in Pegasus Mail or also blue in Notepad and Wordpad, maybe even File Explorer?

Hi Brian, thanks for the reply. I copied and pasted the blue content into a word processor that will show coloured font and it is black!

Hi Brian, thanks for the reply. I copied and pasted the blue content into a word processor that will show coloured font and it is black!

Have just tried forwarding a blue message to another account where it was opened with Pegasus. Font
colour there is black as it should be.

Have just tried forwarding a blue message to another account where it was opened with Pegasus. Font colour there is black as it should be.

Normally, only quoted text in a reply (with a > in front) or web-links will be shown in blue.

Normally, only quoted text in a reply (with a > in front) or web-links will be shown in blue.

Pegasus v4.81 Beta

edited Feb 2 '22 at 3:55 pm

Have just tried forwarding a blue message to another account where it was opened with Pegasus. Font colour there is black as it should be.

This seems to confirm that the problem is with Pegasus Mail although testing with a word processor wasn't a good test since a you can set a font color in a word processor. The color of newly typed text in Notepad is a better test to rule out a system font color issue.

What do you mean when you say "another account", another Pegasus Mail user in the same instance of Pegasus Mail? Another user account on the PC?

[quote="pid:53278, uid:31388"]Have just tried forwarding a blue message to another account where it was opened with Pegasus. Font colour there is black as it should be.[/quote] This seems to confirm that the problem is with Pegasus Mail although testing with a word processor wasn't a good test since a you can set a font color in a word processor. The color of newly typed text in Notepad is a better test to rule out a system font color issue. What do you mean when you say "another account", another Pegasus Mail user in the same instance of Pegasus Mail? Another user account on the PC?

Hi Brian, tried Notepad - black text. Sent it to the same email address but opened it on another (Win7) computer and also to two different email addresses also using Pegasus on Win7 and Win10 on two different computers - all black.
Also sent it to a Gmail account on this computer - black.
Seems to me there must be a setting - possibly in registry - that displays Rich text in blue.

Hi Brian, tried Notepad - black text. Sent it to the same email address but opened it on another (Win7) computer and also to two different email addresses also using Pegasus on Win7 and Win10 on two different computers - all black. Also sent it to a Gmail account on this computer - black. Seems to me there must be a setting - possibly in registry - that displays Rich text in blue.

There is indeed a registry setting that controls text color per user in a Windows system but it affects all text. The Notepad test ruled this out but if you want to look at it it's in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors. The string value is Windows Text. I suspect that its data value will be the default of 0 0 0 which is black.

The only thing within Pegasus Mail that I can think to try is a rebuild of the PMAIL.INI file. This is pretty easy to do if you don't have many identities. You can test whether a PMAIL.INI rebuild will solve the problem pretty quickly. Backup your Pegasus Mail installation then with Pegasus Mail closed, rename PMAIL.INI to PMAIL_INI.SAVED (the PMAIL.INI file resides in the new mailbox directory). Now, modify the Pegasus Mail shortcut to include the -O command line option (that's an Oh not a zero). This will start Pegasus Mail in offline mode. It will start up prompting for configuration. Do as little as possible. Bypass the screens for setting up Internet Options. Once Pegasus Mail opens, check the font color of one of those messages.
If blue, you have ruled out the PMAIL.INI file so you can shut down Pegasus Mail, delete the newly created PMAIL.INI file, then rename PMAIL_INI.SAVED back to PMAIL.INI. Remove the -O command line option and you're back to where you started.
If black, you know that something in the old PMAIL.INI was causing the blue so you need to finish configuration. Work through all of the Tools>Options screens and the Tools>Internet Options tabs. Keep in mind that your POP3 and SMTP host configurations still exist; you just need to use the Add button to add them to the new configuration. Remove the -O command line option and restart when done.

There is indeed a registry setting that controls text color per user in a Windows system but it affects all text. The Notepad test ruled this out but if you want to look at it it's in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors. The string value is **Windows Text**. I suspect that its data value will be the default of **0 0 0** which is black. The only thing within Pegasus Mail that I can think to try is a rebuild of the PMAIL.INI file. This is pretty easy to do if you don't have many identities. You can test whether a PMAIL.INI rebuild will solve the problem pretty quickly. Backup your Pegasus Mail installation then with Pegasus Mail closed, rename PMAIL.INI to PMAIL_INI.SAVED (the PMAIL.INI file resides in the new mailbox directory). Now, modify the Pegasus Mail shortcut to include the -O command line option (that's an Oh not a zero). This will start Pegasus Mail in offline mode. It will start up prompting for configuration. Do as little as possible. Bypass the screens for setting up Internet Options. Once Pegasus Mail opens, check the font color of one of those messages. If blue, you have ruled out the PMAIL.INI file so you can shut down Pegasus Mail, delete the newly created PMAIL.INI file, then rename PMAIL_INI.SAVED back to PMAIL.INI. Remove the -O command line option and you're back to where you started. If black, you know that something in the old PMAIL.INI was causing the blue so you need to finish configuration. Work through all of the Tools>Options screens and the Tools>Internet Options tabs. Keep in mind that your POP3 and SMTP host configurations still exist; you just need to use the Add button to add them to the new configuration. Remove the -O command line option and restart when done.

Much thanks for all your instructions and for taking the time to assist.
The registry entry is indeed 000.
Renamed the .ini file and restarted Pegasus in offline mode but I'm afraid the emails are still in blue font.
Looks more and more like I should just learn to live with it!

Much thanks for all your instructions and for taking the time to assist. The registry entry is indeed 000. Renamed the .ini file and restarted Pegasus in offline mode but I'm afraid the emails are still in blue font. Looks more and more like I should just learn to live with it!
edited Feb 2 '22 at 9:54 pm

We know that HTML coding can control font color but there is something more going on when all of them are in blue. There is a configuration setting in IERenderer where you can set a default font. For that to be pertinent the specified font would need to be a blue font. I don't know if that is possible. I think it is worth testing a different default font though. I have mine set to "no default font". I don't know why. I was likely doing some testing of this setting and didn't experience any ill effects so never changed it.

We know that HTML coding can control font color but there is something more going on when all of them are in blue. There is a configuration setting in IERenderer where you can set a default font. For that to be pertinent the specified font would need to be a blue font. I don't know if that is possible. I think it is worth testing a different default font though. I have mine set to "no default font". I don't know why. I was likely doing some testing of this setting and didn't experience any ill effects so never changed it.

The default font colour in IERenderer.ini is blue on both systems. Changed that to black on the Win10 machine but without any luck.

The default font colour in IERenderer.ini is blue on both systems. Changed that to black on the Win10 machine but without any luck.
edited Feb 2 '22 at 11:12 pm

Certainly not. IERenderer does not deal with font colors in any place at all and doesn't read any such INI file entry if there is one in its INI file. All you can do about HTML fonts with IER can be done via its configuration dialog, there's no need to ever mess around with its INI file unless on special advice. The only HTML renderer which used to care about font colors (or still does?) is BearHtml, I've tried already to point Martin Ireland to this thread to offer his advice here but to no success so far it seems.

[quote="pid:53288, uid:31388"]The default font colour in IERenderer.ini is blue on both systems. Changed that to black on the Win10 machine but without any luck.[/quote] Certainly _not_. IERenderer does _not_ deal with font colors in any place at all and doesn't read any such INI file entry if there is one in its INI file. All you can do about HTML fonts with IER can be done via its configuration dialog, there's no need to ever mess around with its INI file unless on special advice. The only HTML renderer which used to care about font colors (or still does?) is BearHtml, I've tried already to point Martin Ireland to this thread to offer his advice here but to no success so far it seems.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C
edited Feb 2 '22 at 11:44 pm

Yes, definitely reinstall IERenderer. Here is the URL to its history page which contains download links.
https://www.pmpgp.de/renderer/History.htm
Version 2.6.5.7 was released today. The change history doesn't give me any concern about potential problems with it so that is the version I recommend. Its author, Michael in der Wiesche, is a forum member and is very receptive and responsive to problems and suggestions so please post about any concerns.

Edit: I posted before seeing Michael's post. I believe his reference to Bearhtml pinpoints the problem since Bearhtml is the fallback renderer when IERenderer isn't installed or has been disabled.

Yes, definitely reinstall IERenderer. Here is the URL to its history page which contains download links. https://www.pmpgp.de/renderer/History.htm Version 2.6.5.7 was released today. The change history doesn't give me any concern about potential problems with it so that is the version I recommend. Its author, Michael in der Wiesche, is a forum member and is very receptive and responsive to problems and suggestions so please post about any concerns. Edit: I posted before seeing Michael's post. I believe his reference to Bearhtml pinpoints the problem since Bearhtml is the fallback renderer when IERenderer isn't installed or has been disabled.
edited Feb 3 '22 at 12:24 am

Sorted!!! BearHtml was the culprit. Changed default font colour in it's .ini file from blue to black.

Huge thanks to Brian and Michael for your assistance - much appreciated. Equilibrium restored.
Now just have to figure out why the open button will not open any attachment...

Sorted!!! BearHtml was the culprit. Changed default font colour in it's .ini file from blue to black. Huge thanks to Brian and Michael for your assistance - much appreciated. Equilibrium restored. Now just have to figure out why the open button will not open any attachment...

Now just have to figure out why the open button will not open any attachment...

The problem is usually associated with just certain attachments. The subject warrants its own discussion. Provide details if you start a new one.

[quote="pid:53298, uid:31388"]Now just have to figure out why the open button will not open any attachment...[/quote] The problem is usually associated with just certain attachments. The subject warrants its own discussion. Provide details if you start a new one.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft