Community Discussions and Support
Mouse scroll crashes pmail

When I use the mouse wheel to scroll within an open mail, it crashes the programme. After re-start, that mail has vanished. Any suggestions to get rid of this problem?

When I use the mouse wheel to scroll within an open mail, it crashes the programme. After re-start, that mail has vanished. Any suggestions to get rid of this problem?

Based on your "information"? No. Aside from this: Messages don't just "vanish", at least not if they already had been completely downloaded when being opened. IOW: We need more background information like: What kind of message, plain text or formatted, anything going on in the background (like Pegasus Mail downloading new messages, e.g.), where was the message stored (new mail or any other folder, are you using IMAP folders?), did you open it in a stand-alone reader window or preview mode, do you run an AV scanner without excluding Pegasus Mail's mail folders? And there's even more which might have an impact (which Windows version, which Pegasus Mail version, which HTML renderer (and its version)? Was this a one-time event (if so just forget about it, we won't likely figure out the cause) or does it occur frequently?

Based on your "information"? No. Aside from this: Messages don't just "vanish", at least not if they already had been completely downloaded when being opened. IOW: We need more background information like: What kind of message, plain text or formatted, anything going on in the background (like Pegasus Mail downloading new messages, e.g.), where was the message stored (new mail or any other folder, are you using IMAP folders?), did you open it in a stand-alone reader window or preview mode, do you run an AV scanner without excluding Pegasus Mail's mail folders? And there's even more which might have an impact (which Windows version, which Pegasus Mail version, which HTML renderer (and its version)? Was this a one-time event (if so just forget about it, we won't likely figure out the cause) or does it occur frequently?
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

Sorry, I thought maybe this had been dealt with before. Using the mouse wheel within the open message page - or even using the left click on the scroll bar - kills the programme. This happens with any kind of message and when Pmail is not downloading anything. The messages were in the new mail folder and were opened with a double mouse click - stand alone. The virus scanner does not exclude pmail folders, but it didn't in the past and this is a new problem. Windows 10, pmail v4.7de and the new renderer was installed 3 days ago Version 2.6.5.7.

The pmail information window gives me:

Pegasus Mail for Microsoft Windows
Copyright (C) 1992-2015, David Harris, all rights reserved
Electronic mail to support@pmail.gen.nz.

WinPMail version: Version 4.72.572, Feb 19 2016, build ID 572
Language resources: German Module by Sven Henze, v4.72 R1 (05 Apr 2016)
Extension Manager version: 1.14
Operating mode: Standalone
User name and ID: stels, 0
Windows version: 6.2
Windows flag word: 0
WINPM-32.EXE directory: C:\PMAIL\Programs
Home mailbox location: c:\PMAIL\MAIL\Admin
New mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL\STELS\stels
TMP environment variable: C:\Users\Geoff\AppData\Local\Temp
TEMP environment variable: C:\Users\Geoff\AppData\Local\Temp
LAN-based SMTP support: N, N, N
NetWare MHS support: N, N, N
Built-in TCP/IP support: Enabled

• WINSOCK version: WinSock 2.0
  • WINSOCK path: WSOCK32.DLLCommandline: Active -Z options: 32768PMR variable: (None)PML variable: (None)MAI variable: (None)NB variable: (None)Autofiltering folders: 0 (0 active, 0 inactive)Last new mail count: 41

Sorry, I thought maybe this had been dealt with before. Using the mouse wheel within the open message page - or even using the left click on the scroll bar - kills the programme. This happens with any kind of message and when Pmail is not downloading anything. The messages were in the new mail folder and were opened with a double mouse click - stand alone. The virus scanner does not exclude pmail folders, but it didn't in the past and this is a new problem. Windows 10, pmail v4.7de and the new renderer was installed 3 days ago Version 2.6.5.7. The pmail information window gives me: Pegasus Mail for Microsoft Windows Copyright (C) 1992-2015, David Harris, all rights reserved Electronic mail to support@pmail.gen.nz. WinPMail version: Version 4.72.572, Feb 19 2016, build ID 572 Language resources: German Module by Sven Henze, v4.72 R1 (05 Apr 2016) Extension Manager version: 1.14 Operating mode: Standalone User name and ID: stels, 0 Windows version: 6.2 Windows flag word: 0 WINPM-32.EXE directory: C:\PMAIL\Programs Home mailbox location: c:\PMAIL\MAIL\Admin New mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL\STELS\stels TMP environment variable: C:\Users\Geoff\AppData\Local\Temp TEMP environment variable: C:\Users\Geoff\AppData\Local\Temp LAN-based SMTP support: N, N, N NetWare MHS support: N, N, N Built-in TCP/IP support: Enabled - WINSOCK version: WinSock 2.0 - WINSOCK path: WSOCK32.DLL Commandline: Active -Z options: 32768 PMR variable: (None) PML variable: (None) MAI variable: (None) NB variable: (None) Autofiltering folders: 0 (0 active, 0 inactive) Last new mail count: 41

Is it a mouse-only issue? IOW, can you navigate properly without using the mouse in the message reader?

Is it a mouse-only issue? IOW, can you navigate properly without using the mouse in the message reader?
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Looks like it, I can move up and down using the keybaord arrows without a crash.

Looks like it, I can move up and down using the keybaord arrows without a crash.

Might be a mouse driver issue? Recent update?

Might be a mouse driver issue? Recent update?
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

According to Logitech there are no special drivers, they use the system driver. I have a new mouse and it behaves just like the older one, inducing crashes.

According to Logitech there are no special drivers, they use the system driver. I have a new mouse and it behaves just like the older one, inducing crashes.

Please go to https://www.pmpgp.de/pmtools/wpm-640.zip and copy the debug version contained in the ZIP archive over your current winpm-32.exe file (it's otherwise identical to the build you already have installed, just matches the debug database I'm using for decoding minidump files).

Then download and install my MiniDump extension from https://www.pmpgp.de/pmtools/MiniDumpAndSources.zip. If you allow it to create a Start menu group (which you should do) please launch Pegasus Mail using the "Pegasus Mail Debugger" shortcut contained therein (it'll launch Pegasus Mail automatically using your most recent command line switches), then do whatever is required to make it crash. This should result in a crash dump file (you'll certainly be able to tell by the file name which one) saved to your system's TEMP directory and an autosaved Pegasus Mail message which should be sent to < beta-reports [@] pmail.gen.nz > (some more details in the ReadMe file).

The easiest way to do so would be by just completing the autosaved message, of course - if you can handle it without running into another mouse related crash. Otherwise you will need to find some other way to submit it. Submitting via this forum might not be an option especially since a dump file might contain system and personal data which shouldn't be published to just everyone.

Please go to https://www.pmpgp.de/pmtools/wpm-640.zip and copy the debug version contained in the ZIP archive over your current winpm-32.exe file (it&#039;s otherwise identical to the build you already have installed, just matches the debug database I&#039;m using for decoding minidump files). Then download and install my MiniDump extension from https://www.pmpgp.de/pmtools/MiniDumpAndSources.zip. If you allow it to create a Start menu group (which you should do) please launch Pegasus Mail using the &quot;Pegasus Mail Debugger&quot; shortcut contained therein (it&#039;ll launch Pegasus Mail automatically using your most recent command line switches), then do whatever is required to make it crash. This should result in a crash dump file (you&#039;ll certainly be able to tell by the file name which one) saved to your system&#039;s TEMP directory and an autosaved Pegasus Mail message which should be sent to &lt; beta-reports [@] pmail.gen.nz &gt; (some more details in the ReadMe file). The easiest way to do so would be by just completing the autosaved message, of course - if you can handle it without running into another mouse related crash. Otherwise you will need to find some other way to submit it. Submitting via this forum might not be an option especially since a dump file might contain system and personal data which shouldn&#039;t be published to just everyone.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Feb 8 '22 at 3:17 pm

If this is a new mouse with new extended driver abilities, maybe there is a different standard functionality assigned to the mouse wheel, e.g. zooming instead of scrolling.

If this is a new mouse with new extended driver abilities, maybe there is a different standard functionality assigned to the mouse wheel, e.g. zooming instead of scrolling.

Which Logi-mouse do you use?
Have you tried to deinstall the mouse driver?
Also activate "show hidden devices" perhaps an old logi driver is installed.
After deinstallation the driver should be automatically new installed by Win10.

Otherwise you can also try to use the driver delivered by logitech for the mouse and see if the issue is then solved.

And you can also try to make a Firmware-Update: https://support.logi.com/hc/de/articles/360035037273-Firmware-Update-Tool

P.S. I have no issue, with none of my different Logi-mouses

Which Logi-mouse do you use? Have you tried to deinstall the mouse driver? Also activate &quot;show hidden devices&quot; perhaps an old logi driver is installed. After deinstallation the driver should be automatically new installed by Win10. Otherwise you can also try to use the driver delivered by logitech for the mouse and see if the issue is then solved. And you can also try to make a Firmware-Update: https://support.logi.com/hc/de/articles/360035037273-Firmware-Update-Tool P.S. I have no issue, with none of my different Logi-mouses

Pegasus v4.81 Beta

edited Feb 8 '22 at 3:38 pm

Thanks everyone very much for the various suggestions - I will try them out!

Thanks everyone very much for the various suggestions - I will try them out!

Michael, After the installation of the debugger I got the following message:
"Der Prozedurpunkt "pmhelp_get_pos" wurde in der DLL "C:\PMAIL\Programs\winpm-32.exe" nicht gefunden".
I think you speak German, so I don't need to translate. So Pmail didn't start after the installation.

Michael, After the installation of the debugger I got the following message: &quot;Der Prozedurpunkt &quot;pmhelp_get_pos&quot; wurde in der DLL &quot;C:\PMAIL\Programs\winpm-32.exe&quot; nicht gefunden&quot;. I think you speak German, so I don&#039;t need to translate. So Pmail didn&#039;t start after the installation.

"Der Prozedurpunkt "pmhelp_get_pos" wurde in der DLL "C:\PMAIL\Programs\winpm-32.exe" nicht gefunden".
I think you speak German, so I don't need to translate. So Pmail didn't start after the installation.

OK, maybe there's something really wrong with your version of Pegasus Mail: I'm running Pegasus Mail always this way (and so do several other people at least once in a while) but never encountered such an error message. Try running the English version (I assume you know how to do this?) and then check whether the mouse issue still occurs at all ...

[quote=&quot;pid:53351, uid:31409&quot;]&quot;Der Prozedurpunkt &quot;pmhelp_get_pos&quot; wurde in der DLL &quot;C:\PMAIL\Programs\winpm-32.exe&quot; nicht gefunden&quot;. I think you speak German, so I don&#039;t need to translate. So Pmail didn&#039;t start after the installation.[/quote] OK, maybe there&#039;s something really wrong with your version of Pegasus Mail: I&#039;m running Pegasus Mail always this way (and so do several other people at least once in a while) but never encountered such an error message. Try running the English version (I assume you know how to do this?) and then check whether the mouse issue still occurs at all ...
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

The bug report seems to work anyway, so I sent it to the site.

Ok, some easy things to try first:

1. Please update Pegasus Mail to its latest version (4.73). You're still using 4.72.

2. If still getting crashes enable IERenderer instead of BearHtml and try again.

3. If still running into troubles set Extras => Einstellungen => Nachrichtenanzeige => Anzeige von intern verlinkten Grafiken ... to manually instead of automatically to ease tracking down this issue further (so we can avoid image downloads from interfering).

4. After having done so and still getting crashes please replace winpm-32.exe with the debug version as I wrote before (I didn't expect you weren't using 4.73 yet).

5. Then try again debugging and send any dump files/messages if still necessary.

[quote=&quot;pid:53354, uid:31409&quot;]The bug report seems to work anyway, so I sent it to the site.[/quote] Ok, some easy things to try first: 1. Please update Pegasus Mail to its latest version (4.73). You&#039;re still using 4.72. 2. If still getting crashes enable IERenderer instead of BearHtml and try again. 3. If still running into troubles set _Extras =&gt; Einstellungen =&gt; Nachrichtenanzeige =&gt; Anzeige von intern verlinkten Grafiken ..._ to manually instead of automatically to ease tracking down this issue further (so we can avoid image downloads from interfering). 4. After having done so and still getting crashes please replace winpm-32.exe with the debug version as I wrote before (I didn&#039;t expect you weren&#039;t using 4.73 yet). 5. Then try again debugging and send any dump files/messages if still necessary.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

And just for the record: If you don't want to update Pegasus Mail to its most recent version and are satisfied with BearHtml for rendering HTML messages you should uninstall IERenderer via the Windows Control Panel (German version) where it should be listed. IER doesn't only depend on latest MSHTML resources (coming with MS IE and MS Edge or MSO) but also current TER/HTS resources installed with Pegasus Mail and I haven't tested it against any prior to Pegasus Mail 4.73.

PS: The same might be true for other resources coming with more recent Pegasus Mail updates.

And just for the record: If you don&#039;t want to update Pegasus Mail to its most recent version and are satisfied with BearHtml for rendering HTML messages you should uninstall IERenderer via the Windows [Control Panel](https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uninstall-or-remove-apps-and-programs-in-windows-10-4b55f974-2cc6-2d2b-d092-5905080eaf98) ([German version](https://support.microsoft.com/de-de/topic/apps-und-programme-in-windows-10-deinstallieren-oder-entfernen-4b55f974-2cc6-2d2b-d092-5905080eaf98)) where it should be listed. IER doesn&#039;t only depend on latest MSHTML resources (coming with MS IE and MS Edge or MSO) but also current TER/HTS resources installed with Pegasus Mail and I haven&#039;t tested it against any prior to Pegasus Mail 4.73. PS: The same might be true for other resources coming with more recent Pegasus Mail updates.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Feb 10 '22 at 11:12 pm

The new IERenderer did the trick - the mouse no longer causes crashes! Thanks again, Michael!

The new IERenderer did the trick - the mouse no longer causes crashes! Thanks again, Michael!

You're welcome! And thanks for reporting back, it's very important to know especially these days as Pegasus Mail 4.8 is now really being released and I want to be sure it doesn't get out the door with IER causing such an issue as reported by you!

[quote=&quot;pid:53369, uid:31409&quot;]The new IERenderer did the trick - the mouse no longer causes crashes! Thanks again, Michael![/quote] You&#039;re welcome! And thanks for reporting back, it&#039;s very important to know especially these days as Pegasus Mail 4.8 is now really being released and I want to be sure it doesn&#039;t get out the door with IER causing such an issue as reported by you!
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft