Community Discussions and Support
Invisible Folder!

I appear to have an invisible message folder. The PMM file is there. I can search for messages and it will find them in the search results, but I can't see it in the folder list. I've tried a folder repair with mbxmaint, and I've tried deleting heirarch.pm and cache.pm but still it is not visible in the list of folders. Any suggestions?

Jim C

I appear to have an invisible message folder. The PMM file is there. I can search for messages and it will find them in the search results, but I can't see it in the folder list. I've tried a folder repair with mbxmaint, and I've tried deleting heirarch.pm and cache.pm but still it is not visible in the list of folders. Any suggestions? Jim C

This can happen when two folders have the same name. If the search results show a folder with the same name as one in the folder list (maybe in a different tray), rename the visible one and then close/open the folder list to see if the invisible one is now visible.

This can happen when two folders have the same name. If the search results show a folder with the same name as one in the folder list (maybe in a different tray), rename the visible one and then close/open the folder list to see if the invisible one is now visible.

Thanks for the swift response. Unfortunately my folder structure is completely flat, and there isn't a duplicate folder name.

Regards, Jim C

Thanks for the swift response. Unfortunately my folder structure is completely flat, and there isn't a duplicate folder name. Regards, Jim C

Maybe we should "borrow" a solution from the PM-WIN mailing list:

editing HIERARCH.PM to remove a number of lines referencing "My mailbox,Name_Unavailable" seems to have worked

Remember to keep a backup copy of the previous version and only edit HIERARCH.PM with Pegasus Mail shut down when giving it a try.

Maybe we should "borrow" a solution from the PM-WIN mailing list: > editing HIERARCH.PM to remove a number of lines referencing "My mailbox,Name_Unavailable" seems to have worked Remember to keep a backup copy of the previous version and only edit HIERARCH.PM with Pegasus Mail shut down when giving it a try.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

[quote="pid:53350, uid:2133"]Maybe we should "borrow" a solution from the PM-WIN mailing list:

editing HIERARCH.PM to remove a number of lines referencing "My mailbox,Name_Unavailable" seems to have worked[/quote]

Very nice. Never thrown an eye in it. Since we are using Pmail for decades, a lot of "Name_Unavailable" lines have been accumulated. smile

[quote="pid:53350, uid:2133"]Maybe we should "borrow" a solution from the PM-WIN mailing list: editing HIERARCH.PM to remove a number of lines referencing "My mailbox,Name_Unavailable" seems to have worked[/quote] Very nice. Never thrown an eye in it. Since we are using Pmail for decades, a lot of "Name_Unavailable" lines have been accumulated. (blush)

Name_unavailable entries in hierarch.pm can be of value to anyone who attaches another mailbox or directory to their folder list. When you first attach, an entry is made in hierarch.pm. When you detach, the entry is changed to Name_unavailable. When you re-attach, it gets re-used.

If you choose to clen-up hierarch.pm by removing the Name_unavailable entries be sure to have a safety backup copy. I have experienced corruption on two occasions when trying to do such a clean-up. I finally stopped doing them because the Name-unavailable entries are supposed to be harmless.

This is per a gentleman named Bob Kellock who, on 22 March, 2012, provided me with a document that he titled "Pegasus Mail technical data". In it he writes extensively about the hierarch.pm file among other things. AFAIK, he never publicly released this document. The one he sent me contains the following disclaimer "This document is basically a series of notes written for my own use and is an incomplete work in progress and certainly not ready for general publication." I find it to be extremely detailed. I had forgotten about it until I saw reference to "Name_unavailable" in this discussion.

I attempted to contact Mr. Kellock a few years ago without success. He was very helpful to me in 2012 so I don't believe he would mind if I shared this document with anyone who is interested. Unfortunately, there isn't a mechanism here that allows for the private sharing of email addresses and I'm not willing to post the document publicly. Anyone who is interested and has my email address is welcome to send me a request.

Name_unavailable entries in hierarch.pm can be of value to anyone who attaches another mailbox or directory to their folder list. When you first attach, an entry is made in hierarch.pm. When you detach, the entry is changed to Name_unavailable. When you re-attach, it gets re-used. If you choose to clen-up hierarch.pm by removing the Name_unavailable entries be sure to have a safety backup copy. I have experienced corruption on two occasions when trying to do such a clean-up. I finally stopped doing them because the Name-unavailable entries are supposed to be harmless. This is per a gentleman named Bob Kellock who, on 22 March, 2012, provided me with a document that he titled "Pegasus Mail technical data". In it he writes extensively about the hierarch.pm file among other things. AFAIK, he never publicly released this document. The one he sent me contains the following disclaimer "This document is basically a series of notes written for my own use and is an incomplete work in progress and certainly not ready for general publication." I find it to be extremely detailed. I had forgotten about it until I saw reference to "Name_unavailable" in this discussion. I attempted to contact Mr. Kellock a few years ago without success. He was very helpful to me in 2012 so I don't believe he would mind if I shared this document with anyone who is interested. Unfortunately, there isn't a mechanism here that allows for the private sharing of email addresses and I'm not willing to post the document publicly. Anyone who is interested and has my email address is welcome to send me a request.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft