Community Discussions and Support
Can't Send or Receive Gmail in Pegasus Since June 20, 2021

My wife and I have been using Gmail with Pegasus on separate computers for years and it stopped working for her on 6/20/21. That's the last day she could either send or receive email. (She's using v4.73.639)

As far as I can tell, she didn't do anything unusual on that day and my account has worked perfectly all along.

When she attempts to send an email, she gets: DESCRIPTION OF ERROR: Protocol error: The server has unexpectedly refused or failed a request made by Pegasus Email.

When she attempts to download email, she gets: The host claims the username and password is invalid. (She hadn't changed the password at that point and we've tried to change the password since, without any improvement)

In addition, Google started to send CRITICAL SECURITY ALERT emails: Sign in attempt was blocked. Someone just used your password to sign into your account from a non-Google app.

I can't remember exactly what happened then, but I searched for a solution on the internet and think that I actually followed a suggestion to try to list Pegasus as a trusted app, but I'm a little fuzzy about this after 8 months. (Nothing I tried ever worked)

Any suggestions?

Thanks

My wife and I have been using Gmail with Pegasus on separate computers for years and it stopped working for her on 6/20/21. That's the last day she could either send or receive email. (She's using v4.73.639) As far as I can tell, she didn't do anything unusual on that day and my account has worked perfectly all along. When she attempts to send an email, she gets: DESCRIPTION OF ERROR: Protocol error: The server has unexpectedly refused or failed a request made by Pegasus Email. When she attempts to download email, she gets: The host claims the username and password is invalid. (She hadn't changed the password at that point and we've tried to change the password since, without any improvement) In addition, Google started to send CRITICAL SECURITY ALERT emails: Sign in attempt was blocked. Someone just used your password to sign into your account from a non-Google app. I can't remember exactly what happened then, but I searched for a solution on the internet and think that I actually followed a suggestion to try to list Pegasus as a trusted app, but I'm a little fuzzy about this after 8 months. (Nothing I tried ever worked) Any suggestions? Thanks

Google uses the 2-factor-authentification since some time and you have to setup an app password inside your google account settings page (https://myaccount.google.com). On the other side the error message could push you in the false direction, please check the settings for "less secure apps" in your wifes account.

Google uses the 2-factor-authentification since some time and you have to setup an app password inside your google account settings page (https://myaccount.google.com). On the other side the error message could push you in the false direction, please check the settings for "less secure apps" in your wifes account.

If your wife's Gmail account was configured to allow less secure apps Google may of disabled that (they randomly do it on my account).

You have two options.

1. Re-enable the 'allow less secure apps' option but stay prepared for it to be turned off by Google. Mine gets turned off about once a year.
  2. Enable 2-factor authentication and then have Google generate an app password. That password would be for exclusive use by Pegasus Mail. This is the better way to go if you don't need to access the Gmail web interface regularly or if you don't mind 2-factor authentication when you do.

Google has buried the 'allow less secure apps' option pretty well. A web search about it may bring up old information about how to access it so if you go this route don't be surprised to end up frustrated trying to find it.

If your wife's Gmail account was configured to allow less secure apps Google may of disabled that (they randomly do it on my account). You have two options. 1. Re-enable the 'allow less secure apps' option but stay prepared for it to be turned off by Google. Mine gets turned off about once a year. 2. Enable 2-factor authentication and then have Google generate an app password. That password would be for exclusive use by Pegasus Mail. This is the better way to go if you don't need to access the Gmail web interface regularly or if you don't mind 2-factor authentication when you do. Google has buried the 'allow less secure apps' option pretty well. A web search about it may bring up old information about how to access it so if you go this route don't be surprised to end up frustrated trying to find it.

My wife's Google account somehow was set for 2-factor-authentification. She isn't very techy, so I assume that it didn't cause any issues other than with Pegasus. I authorized the 2-factor-authentification for Pegasus and she can finally send out emails, so I assume all is fixed.

(She's hesitant to download the zillion messages that are still in the cloud, so she hasn't seen if receiving emails is working, but I have no reason to suspect that it isn't.)

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!

My wife's Google account somehow was set for 2-factor-authentification. She isn't very techy, so I assume that it didn't cause any issues other than with Pegasus. I authorized the 2-factor-authentification for Pegasus and she can finally send out emails, so I assume all is fixed. (She's hesitant to download the zillion messages that are still in the cloud, so she hasn't seen if receiving emails is working, but I have no reason to suspect that it isn't.) Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!

quote="pid:53417, uid:4544"[/quote]

FYI, there is an option in the Gmail POP configuration to "Enable POP for mail that arrives from now on". An unknown is how the existing messages will be handled considering that POP has been enable but not used. She may need to commit to emptying the inbox before enabling mail download by PMail. Alternately you could configure her to connect via IMAP and forget about POP.

[quote="pid:53417, uid:4544"](She's hesitant to download the zillion messages that are still in the cloud, so she hasn't seen if receiving emails is working, but I have no reason to suspect that it isn't.)[/quote] FYI, there is an option in the Gmail POP configuration to "Enable POP for mail that arrives from now on". An unknown is how the existing messages will be handled considering that POP has been enable but not used. She may need to commit to emptying the inbox before enabling mail download by PMail. Alternately you could configure her to connect via IMAP and forget about POP.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft