Community Discussions and Support
Simply switching language from german to english when installing v4.80?

We are using the full german version since years. But since we are working in international shipping industry business, english is not problem for our staff. And for better participating in that community forum the original english setting and menu terms would be helpful.

Is it possible to simply update our full german v4.73 network installation with the english v4.80 setup?

We are using the full german version since years. But since we are working in international shipping industry business, english is not problem for our staff. And for better participating in that community forum the original english setting and menu terms would be helpful. Is it possible to simply update our full german v4.73 network installation with the english v4.80 setup?

We use German and English in parallel.

1. Install the English version in a separate directory on the network.
  2. Specify the same folder for the user directory when starting for the first Start.6220fda3e4850

3. Possibly copy the files "pegasus.ini", "PMGATE.SYS", "Synonym.mer".

4. Possibly adapt/copy the "viewer.pm".

We use German and English in parallel. 1. Install the English version in a separate directory on the network. 2. Specify the same folder for the user directory when starting for the first Start. ![6220fda3e4850](serve/attachment&path=6220fda3e4850) 3. Possibly copy the files "pegasus.ini", "PMGATE.SYS", "Synonym.mer". 4. Possibly adapt/copy the "viewer.pm".

Is it possible to simply update our full german v4.73 network installation with the english v4.80 setup?

The English version is always there, Joerg, no need to install another one: Search for pegasus.ini in Pegasus Mail's \programs\ subdirectory and insert a semicolon in front of the language setting, ie. change "Set Language=DE" to ";Set Language=DE" (or remove this line completely). Afterwards you can launch Pegasus Mail with a proper commandline opion, it's winpm-32.exe -X EN (or no -X switch at all) for English and winpm-32.exe -X DE for German.

And, BTW: 4.8 has a serious issue with BearHtml, at least in preview mode (can't test myself since my notebooks all have touchpads and just do nothing with their wheel emulation): Using the scroll wheel on HTML messages crashes Pegasus Mail. Not so with IERenderer, but IER doesn't currently detect the German version properly, IER-fix is already applied but not yet released.

[quote="pid:53455, uid:3785"]Is it possible to simply update our full german v4.73 network installation with the english v4.80 setup?[/quote] The English version is always there, Joerg, no need to install another one: Search for _pegasus.ini_ in Pegasus Mail's _\programs\_ subdirectory and insert a semicolon in front of the language setting, ie. change "Set Language=DE" to "**;**Set Language=DE" (or remove this line completely). Afterwards you can launch Pegasus Mail with a proper commandline opion, it's **winpm-32.exe -X EN** (or no -X switch at all) for English and **winpm-32.exe -X DE** for German. And, BTW: _4.8 has a serious issue with BearHtml_, at least in preview mode (can't test myself since my notebooks all have touchpads and just do nothing with their wheel emulation): Using the scroll wheel on HTML messages crashes Pegasus Mail. Not so with IERenderer, but _IER doesn't currently detect the German version_ properly, IER-fix is already applied but not yet released.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C
edited Mar 3 '22 at 8:11 pm

And, BTW: 4.8 has a serious issue with BearHtml, at least in preview mode (can't test myself since my notebooks all have touchpads and just do nothing with their wheel emulation): Using the scroll wheel on HTML messages crashes Pegasus Mail. Not so with IERenderer, but IER doesn't currently detect the German version properly, IER-fix is already applied but not yet released.

Maybe it helps: I've just noticed that if you start the German version of 4.8 with "winpm-32.exe -X EN" in English, IERenderer is loaded, but not in German!

> And, BTW: 4.8 has a serious issue with BearHtml, at least in preview mode (can't test myself since my notebooks all have touchpads and just do nothing with their wheel emulation): Using the scroll wheel on HTML messages crashes Pegasus Mail. Not so with IERenderer, but IER doesn't currently detect the German version properly, IER-fix is already applied but not yet released. Maybe it helps: I've just noticed that if you start the German version of 4.8 with "winpm-32.exe -X EN" in English, IERenderer is loaded, but not in German!

Maybe it helps: I've just noticed that if you start the German version of 4.8 with "winpm-32.exe -X EN" in English, IERenderer is loaded, but not in German!

Sure, that's the way it is supposed to work: IER should match the language Pegasus Mail itself uses. The resources are there but not loaded properly for the German version, only for English.

[quote="pid:53473, uid:2277"]Maybe it helps: I've just noticed that if you start the German version of 4.8 with "winpm-32.exe -X EN" in English, IERenderer is loaded, but not in German![/quote] Sure, that's the way it is supposed to work: IER should match the language Pegasus Mail itself uses. The resources are there but not loaded properly for the German version, only for English.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Mar 4 '22 at 9:46 am

Now with IER-Update 2.6.5.10 the German Pegasus 4.8 works fine with IERenderer! Thanks!

To test a new Pegasus 4.8 again, I did a fresh installation again:
In order to get the German version to work with IERenderer, it is sufficient to rename the file "IERenderer.fff" to "IERenderer.fde"!

Now with IER-Update 2.6.5.10 the German Pegasus 4.8 works fine with IERenderer! Thanks! To test a new Pegasus 4.8 again, I did a fresh installation again: In order to get the German version to work with IERenderer, it is sufficient to rename the file "IERenderer.fff" to "IERenderer.fde"!

In order to get the German version to work with IERenderer, it is sufficient to rename the file "IERenderer.fff" to "IERenderer.fde"!

This is an absolutely dangerous idea if you don't have Pegasus Mail's German version installed: IER needs the German resources provided by Pegasus Mail's own German language module, otherwise it may result in unpredictable ill effects!

It appears to be required the I have to repeat myself over and over again: Don't fiddle with the files unless on special advice! IER's setup provides a language selector which you should use for installing additional language versions in a proper way!

If your reply was supposed to target German users please post it to the German forum or at least mention that this is only applicable to users having the German language module (= version) installed!

[quote="pid:53521, uid:2277"]In order to get the German version to work with IERenderer, it is sufficient to rename the file "IERenderer.fff" to "IERenderer.fde"![/quote] This is an absolutely dangerous idea if you don't have Pegasus Mail's German version installed: IER needs the German resources provided by Pegasus Mail's own German language module, otherwise it may result in unpredictable ill effects! It appears to be required the I have to repeat myself over and over again: _Don't fiddle with the files_ unless on special advice! IER's setup provides a language selector which you should use for installing additional language versions in a proper way! If your reply was supposed to target German users please post it to the German forum or at least mention that this is only applicable to users having the German language module (= version) installed!
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Thanks guys for all the hints.

The English version is always there, Joerg, no need to install another one: Search for pegasus.ini in Pegasus Mail's \programs\ subdirectory and insert a semicolon in front of the language setting, ie. change "Set Language=DE" to ";Set Language=DE" (or remove this line completely). Afterwards you can launch Pegasus Mail with a proper commandline opion, it's winpm-32.exe -X EN (or no -X switch at all) for English and winpm-32.exe -X DE for German.

I will give the simple command line option a try.

Nevertheless my question remains ... is it possible to install the english 4.80 version over the german 4.7x to keep all settings but to switch finally the language to english, without the option switching back to german, e.g. by command line option?

Thanks guys for all the hints. [quote="pid:53466, uid:2133"]The English version is always there, Joerg, no need to install another one: Search for pegasus.ini in Pegasus Mail's \programs\ subdirectory and insert a semicolon in front of the language setting, ie. change "Set Language=DE" to ";Set Language=DE" (or remove this line completely). Afterwards you can launch Pegasus Mail with a proper commandline opion, it's winpm-32.exe -X EN (or no -X switch at all) for English and winpm-32.exe -X DE for German.[/quote] I will give the simple command line option a try. Nevertheless my question remains ... is it possible to install the english 4.80 version over the german 4.7x to keep all settings but to switch finally the language to english, **without** the option switching back to german, e.g. by command line option?

Nevertheless my question remains ... is it possible to install the english 4.80 version over the german 4.7x to keep all settings but to switch finally the language to english, without the option switching back to german, e.g. by command line option?

I'm afraid I don't understand this question: Sure you can update the German version with the English setup but it'll still launch as the German version if you don't modify pegasus.ini as suggested above (and you don't need -X EN, that's what I meant to say with or no -X switch at all).

So what exactly do you want to achieve? Do you want to prevent users from switching back to German? There's no way to disable this, they will always be able to do so via command line.

[quote="pid:53525, uid:3785"]Nevertheless my question remains ... is it possible to install the english 4.80 version over the german 4.7x to keep all settings but to switch finally the language to english, without the option switching back to german, e.g. by command line option?[/quote] I'm afraid I don't understand _this question_: Sure you can update the German version with the English setup but it'll still launch as the German version if you don't modify pegasus.ini as suggested above (and you don't need -X EN, that's what I meant to say with _or no -X switch at all_). So what exactly do you want to achieve? Do you want to prevent users from switching back to German? There's no way to disable this, they will always be able to do so via command line.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Mar 7 '22 at 10:03 pm

Just one more note about this: Switching back to German after doing what you're suggesting wouldn't be a good idea since the installer removes files coming with 4.73 so it might lead to unpredictable behaviour.

Just one more note about this: Switching back to German after doing what you're suggesting wouldn't be a good idea since the installer removes files coming with 4.73 so it might lead to unpredictable behaviour.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft