Pegasus Mail Suggestions
Pegasus handling of messages tagged by SENDER as urgent

I receive many mails tagged by the sender as URGENT that really aren't urgent at all, like advertisements.

When Pegasus sees the urgent flag in the headers, it seems to do 2 things

1) It sets the message details in the Inbox listing to the colour RED.

2) It filters the message details to the TOP of the lnbox listing.

The only way to resolve these is to open the message, go to message properties and turn off the urgent checkbox. At which point I've read the mail which I didn't really want to do!

Part of the problem, granted, is the way I use my inbox ... it's more like a "main" and I sort things out of it manually about every week or so. I use Main as the destination for mail I don't have defined mailboxes for.

So the problem with this is that I end up with mail that's actually more urgent (without the flag) pushed down the Inbox list. A nuisance.

So, the request is ... can we please have a mechanism to use a less garish colour (bright red is excessive for boring ads!) for messages marked urgent. AND can we please have the option of stopping the Move to the top of the Inbox list. It's hard to miss coloured messages in the list anyway!

Thank you :-)

I receive many mails tagged by the sender as URGENT that really aren't urgent at all, like advertisements. When Pegasus sees the urgent flag in the headers, it seems to do 2 things 1) It sets the message details in the Inbox listing to the colour RED. 2) It filters the message details to the TOP of the lnbox listing. The only way to resolve these is to open the message, go to message properties and turn off the urgent checkbox. At which point I've read the mail which I didn't really want to do! Part of the problem, granted, is the way I use my inbox ... it's more like a "main" and I sort things out of it manually about every week or so. I use Main as the destination for mail I don't have defined mailboxes for. So the problem with this is that I end up with mail that's actually more urgent (without the flag) pushed down the Inbox list. A nuisance. So, the request is ... can we please have a mechanism to use a less garish colour (bright red is excessive for boring ads!) for messages marked urgent. AND can we please have the option of stopping the Move to the top of the Inbox list. It's hard to miss coloured messages in the list anyway! Thank you :-)

Have you explored the filtering capabilities of this fine program?

You can process the urgent tag, do a look up at a distribution list to white list it or send it off to a spam folder. The tools are there.

Have you explored the filtering capabilities of this fine program? You can process the urgent tag, do a look up at a distribution list to white list it or send it off to a spam folder. The tools are there.

The simplest thing that would make this more manageable is to automatically declare ALL mail as non-urgent. i.e. discover an urgent flag and turn it off.

The inbuilt filtering will not do the job since that activates on folder open and folder close.

The simplest thing that would make this more manageable is to automatically declare ALL mail as non-urgent. i.e. discover an urgent flag and turn it off. The inbuilt filtering will not do the job since that activates on folder open and folder close.
edited Mar 27 '22 at 6:57 pm

The only way to resolve these is to open the message, go to message properties and turn off the urgent checkbox. At which point I've read the mail which I didn't really want to do!

No need to open the message: Right click it in its folder (which does not display its contents even in preview mode) to access the properties for toggling the flag.

[quote="pid:53600, uid:2222"]The only way to resolve these is to open the message, go to message properties and turn off the urgent checkbox. At which point I've read the mail which I didn't really want to do![/quote] No need to open the message: Right click it in its folder (which does *not* display its contents even in preview mode) to access the properties for toggling the flag.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

Yeah, I got that from the mailing list AFTER I posted here and I did grasp it. But the point is I'm still personally manipulating the message via the properties. It's kind of about priorities ... to me the mail isn't THAT urgent.

IF there was a way to prefilter the messages automagically prior to putting it into the inbox looking for the urgent flag and deleting the header, that would be a reasonable alternative, but I haven't discovered a way to do that yet.

Yeah, I got that from the mailing list AFTER I posted here and I did grasp it. But the point is I'm still personally manipulating the message via the properties. It's kind of about priorities ... to me the mail isn't THAT urgent. IF there was a way to prefilter the messages automagically prior to putting it into the inbox looking for the urgent flag and deleting the header, that would be a reasonable alternative, but I haven't discovered a way to do that yet.

The inbuilt filtering will not do the job since that activates on folder open and folder close.
New mail filter rules act on messages as they arrive but there isn't a filter rule action that will turn off the 'urgent' flag. The best you can do is to detect the urgent flag.

I understand the suggestion by the OP and think the addition of a "disable attribute" filter action is worthy of consideration. Personally, I would like the ability to selectively "mark as unread" in a folder close filter set.

[quote="pid:53654, uid:2222"]The inbuilt filtering will not do the job since that activates on folder open and folder close.[/quote] New mail filter rules act on messages as they arrive but there isn't a filter rule action that will turn off the 'urgent' flag. The best you can do is to detect the urgent flag. I understand the suggestion by the OP and think the addition of a "disable attribute" filter action is worthy of consideration. Personally, I would like the ability to selectively "mark as unread" in a folder close filter set.

I understand the suggestion by the OP and think the addition of a "disable attribute" filter action is worthy of consideration.

Well, there was a time when smart people just took the chance to write a tiny add-on for doing this, it shouldn't be too difficult (I even thought we already have it somewhere but couldn't find a respective one on Han's list) ... smile

[quote="pid:53657, uid:28772"]I understand the suggestion by the OP and think the addition of a "disable attribute" filter action is worthy of consideration.[/quote] Well, there was a time when smart people just took the chance to write a tiny add-on for doing this, it shouldn't be too difficult (I even thought we already have it somewhere but couldn't find a respective one on [Han's list](http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/han_lkpg.htm#addon)) ... ;)
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C
edited Mar 29 '22 at 10:59 pm

I would attempt such a thing probably 20 years ago (something like it was running through my mind) but I haven't written a program in about 15 years other than a tiny bit of Fortran and Macro-11).

I couldn't see anything on the community site either that could do or modified to do this task.

It's a "would be very useful" type of thing ... but clearly my request is because of an annoyance, and not a show stopper. There are enough higher priority issues at the moment :-)

But ... to those who've bent their mind to it, I thank you :-)

Stuart

I would attempt such a thing probably 20 years ago (something like it was running through my mind) but I haven't written a program in about 15 years other than a tiny bit of Fortran and Macro-11). I couldn't see anything on the community site either that could do or modified to do this task. It's a "would be very useful" type of thing ... but clearly my request is because of an annoyance, and not a show stopper. There are enough higher priority issues at the moment :-) But ... to those who've bent their mind to it, I thank you :-) Stuart
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft