Community Discussions and Support
How can I change column header panels in SENT folder

The first column header in my SENT folder is always FROM, which of course is always my e-mail address, so I don't know for sure until I open the message who the message was sent to. I've searched the help section in Pegasus, but I can't find any way to change that first column header in the SENT folder from SENT to TO (the receiver of the e-mail I sent), or even how to add a "TO" column header.

I'm using IMAP (which has the SENT folder built in) and Pegasus version 4.73, Windows 10. On my phone app, the sent folder appropriately shows the first column as TO by default, unlike my Pegasus client on my computer. Is there a way that I'm overlooking whereby I can change that column to "TO" in Pegasus as well?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dave

The first column header in my SENT folder is always FROM, which of course is always **_my_** e-mail address, so I don't know for sure until I open the message who the message was sent to. I've searched the help section in Pegasus, but I can't find any way to change that first column header in the SENT folder from SENT to TO (the receiver of the e-mail I sent), or even how to add a "TO" column header. I'm using IMAP (which has the SENT folder built in) and Pegasus version 4.73, Windows 10. On my phone app, the sent folder appropriately shows the first column as TO by default, unlike my Pegasus client on my computer. Is there a way that I'm overlooking whereby I can change that column to "TO" in Pegasus as well? Thanks in advance for your help! Dave

No. The "From" column header can not be changed. How are you making your copies to self? Normally, when you open a folder containing copied to self messages, the "From" of all copies to self messages will contain the recipients address prefixed with "To:". If you are CCing or BCCing yourself then you will always be the From. I don't use IMAP so I don't know the behavior if you are selecting the "SENT" IMAP folder as the destination for copies to self.

No. The "From" column header can not be changed. How are you making your copies to self? Normally, when you open a folder containing copied to self messages, the "From" of all copies to self messages will contain the recipients address prefixed with "To:". If you are CCing or BCCing yourself then you will always be the From. I don't use IMAP so I don't know the behavior if you are selecting the "SENT" IMAP folder as the destination for copies to self.

Thank you, Brian! Your comments helped me explore the problem from a different angle, and it turns out that it was just how Pegasus interacts with my IMAP folders. (I say "how Pegasus interacts" because the "Sent" folder in my phone e-mail app always designates To: recipient - and never me, the sender - in the listing of e-mails sent.)

No, I never sent CC's or BCC's to myself, nor selected "Copy Self" in the message window - I had only selected in Pegasus Options the IMAP "sent" folder as my "default copy-to-self" folder. So I tried leaving this whole option blank; however, this did not affect anything at all - my sent e-mails still appeared with me as "From" and there was no "To:" in the "sent" IMAP folder listing in Pegasus.

So I tried setting the default copy-to-self option to a local "Copies" folder I created. That immediately solved the problem!! E-mails sent to all other e-mail accounts now show the correct TO: other e-mail address in my local "Copies to Self" folder listing and not my own e-mail address.

It's still baffling that my IMAP "sent" folder when opened in Pegasus still lists me under "From" for every single message that I have sent others, with no "To:" (Nothing I've tried stops this from happening) - whereas in my phone e-mail only the To: recipient shows for the very same e-mail message in the very same IMAP "sent" folder. No setting or total absence of settings for copies to self will change this. I'll just regularly empty the IMAP "sent" folder (or I may be able to disable it) - probably good for greater security, privacy, etc.

Thank you, Brian! Your comments helped me explore the problem from a different angle, and it turns out that it was just how Pegasus interacts with my IMAP folders. (I say "how Pegasus interacts" because the "Sent" folder in _my phone e-mail app_ always designates _To: recipient_ - and never me, the sender - in the _listing_ of e-mails sent.) No, I never sent CC's or BCC's to myself, nor selected "Copy Self" in the message window - I had only selected in Pegasus Options the IMAP "sent" folder as my "default copy-to-self" folder. So I tried leaving this whole option blank; however, this did not affect anything at all - my sent e-mails _still_ appeared with me as "From" and there was no "To:" in the "sent" IMAP folder listing in Pegasus. So I tried setting the default copy-to-self option to a _local_ "Copies" folder I created. _That immediately solved the problem!!_ E-mails sent to all other e-mail accounts now show the correct TO: *other e-mail address* in my local "Copies to Self" folder _listing_ and not my own e-mail address. It's still baffling that my IMAP "sent" folder when opened in Pegasus _**still**_ lists me under "From" for every single message that I have sent others, with no "To:" (Nothing I've tried stops this from happening) - whereas in my phone e-mail only the _To: recipient_ shows for the _very same e-mail message in the very same IMAP "sent" folder_. No setting or total absence of settings for copies to self will change this. I'll just regularly empty the IMAP "sent" folder (or I may be able to disable it) - probably good for greater security, privacy, etc.
edited Apr 12 '22 at 5:07 am

Hi Dave,

Great, that anybody else has noticed it and is complaining this. Please see my post at the area:

Pmail Suggestions

Feel free and support my view that something happens in this regard.

Hi Dave, Great, that anybody else has noticed it and is complaining this. Please see my post at the area: [Pmail Suggestions](https://community.pmail.com/index.php?u=/topic/11548/column-bar-of-the-copy-to-self-folder-to-be-adapted-from-to) Feel free and support my view that something happens in this regard.

The other e-mail program I use (because it processes IMAP quickly, not because it is wonderful) places copies of emails which I send in the folder tagged as type \Sent by its IMAP server. For that folder's message list, it displays a "To" column rather than a "From" column.

Pegasus Mail doesn't recognise that convention, and F12/Message Properties doesn't do anything for my messages in IMAP folders, so I can't easily alter such messages so that they show "To: ..." in Pegasus Mail -- although I can, after copying such messages to a Pegasus regular disk-file folder.

Suggestion: recognise the IMAP \Sent attribute of a folder, and treat messages in it as "Is a copy to self" unless the message is specifically labelled otherwise.

That does not feel like a simple change but might fit into the redesign of folders which has been mentioned for a new major release of Pegasus Mail.

The other e-mail program I use (because it processes IMAP quickly, not because it is wonderful) places copies of emails which I send in the folder tagged as type \Sent by its IMAP server. For that folder's message list, it displays a "To" column rather than a "From" column. Pegasus Mail doesn't recognise that convention, and F12/Message Properties doesn't do anything for my messages in IMAP folders, so I can't easily alter such messages so that they show "To: ..." in Pegasus Mail -- although I can, after copying such messages to a Pegasus regular disk-file folder. Suggestion: recognise the IMAP \Sent attribute of a folder, and treat messages in it as "Is a copy to self" unless the message is specifically labelled otherwise. That does not feel like a simple change but might fit into the redesign of folders which has been mentioned for a new major release of Pegasus Mail.

Pegasus Mail 4.73 just doesn't recognise that convention, and F12/Message Properties doesn't do anything for my messages in IMAP folders, so I can't easily alter such messages so that they show "To: ..." in Pegasus Mail -- although I can, after copying such messages to a Pegasus regular disk-file folder.

This affirms my conclusion that Pegasus Mail just does not properly recognize and handle the IMAP "Sent" folder for what it is - a "copy to self" folder - and therefore does not change the e-mail to a "TO: recipient" in that IMAP folder.

Yes, in Pegasus Options > "Copies to self ( "outbox" ), choosing a regular disk-file (which is what I meant by " local 'Copies' folder" ) is exactly what solves the problem - Pegasus puts an appropriately informative "To: recipient", even though it's still in the "From" column. I can live with that.

Suggestion: recognise the IMAP \Sent attribute of a folder, and treat messages in it as "Is a copy to self" unless the message is specifically labelled otherwise.
I have to be honest - I don't quite understand this. Does "recognise" here mean "accept it as it is" or "make a setting somewhere to recognise"?

I'm going for "accept it as it is" and directing all my sent e-mail to my local disk folder where the "TO: recipient" works. As I said, I can live with that.

I can't disable the "sent" folder in my IMAP, but I can go to the website interface and simply delete the contents - since I've already got the "sent" e-mails on my local disk. As I said, there may be an advantage of security and privacy this way. I am shocked at how invasively my IMAP e-mail is "mined" for information about everything that I write - for "targeted advertising", "exact area information", etc. Downright Orwellianly dystopic.

Dave

PS:

Feel free and support my view that something happens in this regard.
Joerg, please feel free to add a link to my thread here. I thoroughly support your view and look forward to a better handling of IMAP "sent" folders in future versions of Pegasus.

[quote="pid:53703, uid:2925"]Pegasus Mail 4.73 just doesn't recognise that convention, and F12/Message Properties doesn't do anything for my messages in IMAP folders, so I can't easily alter such messages so that they show "To: ..." in Pegasus Mail -- although I can, after copying such messages to a Pegasus regular disk-file folder.[/quote] This affirms my conclusion that Pegasus Mail just does not properly recognize and handle the IMAP "Sent" folder for what it is - a "copy to self" folder - and therefore does not change the e-mail to a "TO: _recipient_" in that IMAP folder. Yes, in Pegasus Options > "Copies to self ( "outbox" ), choosing a **regular disk-file** (which is what I meant by " **local** 'Copies' folder" ) is exactly what solves the problem - Pegasus puts an appropriately informative "To: _recipient_", even though it's still in the "From" column. I can live with that. [quote="pid:53703, uid:2925"]Suggestion: recognise the IMAP \Sent attribute of a folder, and treat messages in it as "Is a copy to self" unless the message is specifically labelled otherwise.[/quote]I have to be honest - I don't quite understand this. Does "recognise" here mean "accept it as it is" or "make a setting somewhere to recognise"? I'm going for "accept it as it is" and directing all my sent e-mail to my local disk folder where the "_TO: recipient_" works. As I said, I can live with that. I can't disable the "sent" folder in my IMAP, but I can go to the website interface and simply delete the contents - since I've already got the "sent" e-mails on my local disk. As I said, there may be an advantage of security and privacy this way. I am shocked at how invasively my IMAP e-mail is "mined" for information about everything that I write - for "targeted advertising", "exact area information", etc. Downright Orwellianly dystopic. Dave PS: [quote="pid:53702, uid:3785"]Feel free and support my view that something happens in this regard.[/quote]Joerg, please feel free to add a link to my thread here. I thoroughly support your view and look forward to a better handling of IMAP "sent" folders in future versions of Pegasus.

IMAP can tag its folders with any combination of attributes from the list in https://www.iana.org/assignments/imap-mailbox-name-attributes/imap-mailbox-name-attributes.xhtml . One of these is \Sent, meaning that this folder is "used to hold copies of messages that have been sent." At the moment, this attribute has no effect on Pegasus Mail.

My suggestion is that Pegasus should treat any mail folder it finds with that attribute as though it contains messages which have been sent. There should be no need for any user option or setting or decision to make this happen.

Pegasus has its own tags to show "sent" on individual messages, not on the folder containing them. That makes it tricky to interoperate with IMAP, especially when messages are copied or moved. (A message copied out of an IMAP-sent folder needs to gain a Pegasus Mail "sent" attribute, and a "received" message copied into an IMAP-sent folder might need to be labelled as such.)

IMAP can tag its folders with any combination of attributes from the list in https://www.iana.org/assignments/imap-mailbox-name-attributes/imap-mailbox-name-attributes.xhtml . One of these is \Sent, meaning that this folder is "used to hold copies of messages that have been sent." At the moment, this attribute has no effect on Pegasus Mail. My suggestion is that Pegasus should treat any mail folder it finds with that attribute as though it contains messages which have been sent. There should be no need for any user option or setting or decision to make this happen. Pegasus has its own tags to show "sent" on individual messages, not on the folder containing them. That makes it tricky to interoperate with IMAP, especially when messages are copied or moved. (A message copied out of an IMAP-sent folder needs to gain a Pegasus Mail "sent" attribute, and a "received" message copied into an IMAP-sent folder might need to be labelled as such.)

Joerg, please feel free to add a link to my thread here. I thoroughly support your view and look forward to a better handling of IMAP "sent" folders in future versions of Pegasus.

Done. A link to your thread has been added here: https://community.pmail.com/index.php?u=/topic/11548/column-bar-of-the-copy-to-self-folder-to-be-adapted-from-to/1#post-53712

In the meantime I got the problem that there are too much workarrounds available for all the little oddities of Pmail. If I would have to take care only for my own single Pmail installation, I could live with. But I have to admin a Pmail multi user network installation with up to 20 users. And sometimes we access with Thunderbird, sometimes with Roundcube and sometimes with Pmail to our local mail accounts. And using different mail clients is mixing the entries in the Sent folder.

[quote="pid:53706, uid:2534"]Joerg, please feel free to add a link to my thread here. I thoroughly support your view and look forward to a better handling of IMAP "sent" folders in future versions of Pegasus.[/quote] Done. A link to your thread has been added here: https://community.pmail.com/index.php?u=/topic/11548/column-bar-of-the-copy-to-self-folder-to-be-adapted-from-to/1#post-53712 In the meantime I got the problem that there are too much workarrounds available for all the little oddities of Pmail. If I would have to take care only for my own single Pmail installation, I could live with. But I have to admin a Pmail multi user network installation with up to 20 users. And sometimes we access with Thunderbird, sometimes with Roundcube and sometimes with Pmail to our local mail accounts. And using different mail clients is mixing the entries in the Sent folder.

...Pegasus has its own tags to show "sent" on individual messages, not on the folder containing them. That makes it tricky to interoperate with IMAP....
Thanks, mhi. Your entire detailed explanation was very informative - I understand completely now.

Dave

[quote="pid:53707, uid:2925"]...Pegasus has its own tags to show "sent" on individual messages, not on the folder containing them. That makes it tricky to interoperate with IMAP....[/quote]Thanks, mhi. Your entire detailed explanation was very informative - I understand completely now. Dave
edited Apr 13 '22 at 6:18 pm
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft