Community Discussions and Support
Just so everyone understands what OAuth2 is really about ...

My Gmail account was working fine with PMAIL using my old log-in information until around noon yesterday when both POP/SMTP and IMAP stopped connecting and showed errors. Fortunately after I set up an app password for PMAIL on my computer, following the excellent instructions kindly provided by other users, they all are again working perfectly.

I am hoping Google will not decide to eliminate the app password option in the future if OATH2 can never be supported by PMAIL.

I do wonder however, if I wish to use PMAIL on a USB Flash Drive how I can utilize it as portable application on another computer without going through the entire process again and setting up a different app password for PMAIL and reseting the PMAIL internet log-in options for Gmail every time I plug it into a different device.

My Gmail account was working fine with PMAIL using my old log-in information until around noon yesterday when both POP/SMTP and IMAP stopped connecting and showed errors. Fortunately after I set up an app password for PMAIL on my computer, following the excellent instructions kindly provided by other users, they all are again working perfectly. I am hoping Google will not decide to eliminate the app password option in the future if OATH2 can never be supported by PMAIL. I do wonder however, if I wish to use PMAIL on a USB Flash Drive how I can utilize it as portable application on another computer without going through the entire process again and setting up a different app password for PMAIL and reseting the PMAIL internet log-in options for Gmail every time I plug it into a different device.

I do wonder however, if I wish to use PMAIL on a USB Flash Drive how I can utilize it as portable application on another computer without going through the entire process again and setting up a different app password for PMAIL and reseting the PMAIL internet log-in options for Gmail every time I plug it into a different device.

No worries. The app password is not device specific. It is only specific to the Google account for which it was assigned. It will work to connect to that Gmail account regardless whether the Pegasus Mail installation is on a desktop PC or is a portable flash drive installation.

[quote="pid:53934, uid:34558"]I do wonder however, if I wish to use PMAIL on a USB Flash Drive how I can utilize it as portable application on another computer without going through the entire process again and setting up a different app password for PMAIL and reseting the PMAIL internet log-in options for Gmail every time I plug it into a different device.[/quote] No worries. The app password is not device specific. It is only specific to the Google account for which it was assigned. It will work to connect to that Gmail account regardless whether the Pegasus Mail installation is on a desktop PC or is a portable flash drive installation.

My pop3 login is still working fine as of 2022-06-03 just like it always has. I did have authentication errors 2 days ago but not since. We'll see how long this lasts.

I will not be surprised when app passwords are revoked too at some point in the future or they put a time limit on their lifespan. They love to make their services harder and harder to use :/

My pop3 login is still working fine as of 2022-06-03 just like it always has. I did have authentication errors 2 days ago but not since. We'll see how long this lasts. I will not be surprised when app passwords are revoked too at some point in the future or they put a time limit on their lifespan. They love to make their services harder and harder to use :/
edited Jun 3 '22 at 5:07 pm

I'll also be interested to see just how app-specific the app-specific password is. I'm not at all sure that Google have any idea what email programs / operating systems are being used on PCs. Meaning that you may well be able to use the same app-specific password on multiple systems. But I have NOT tested this myself.

I'll also be interested to see just how app-specific the app-specific password is. I'm not at all sure that Google have any idea what email programs / operating systems are being used on PCs. Meaning that you may well be able to use the same app-specific password on multiple systems. But I have NOT tested this myself.

I'm not at all sure that Google have any idea what email programs / operating systems are being used on PCs. Meaning that you may well be able to use the same app-specific password on multiple systems. But I have NOT tested this myself.

I agree. I would bet that you could use the Pegasus Mail app password in the SMTP credentials of a device that sends notifications and log files by email. I am curious to know for sure so if anyone has a way to test this please do.

[quote="pid:53937, uid:33773"]I'm not at all sure that Google have any idea what email programs / operating systems are being used on PCs. Meaning that you may well be able to use the same app-specific password on multiple systems. But I have NOT tested this myself.[/quote] I agree. I would bet that you could use the Pegasus Mail app password in the SMTP credentials of a device that sends notifications and log files by email. I am curious to know for sure so if anyone has a way to test this please do.

Gmail stopped working for me too ... so I tried setting up 2FA ... and I'm probably not doing it right ... I got their 6 digit app password by phone, replaced my password in pmail and it declared wrong password. So, I've gone back to forwarding any mail to my google address to my personal email address ... so that means, if I want to reply, I must go to the google's webmail. To be honest, that sounds a lot easier than farting around with 2FA. I know it won't be convenient for those without a non-google mail account, but I've always treated gmail, and yahoo as throwaway accounts.

Gmail stopped working for me too ... so I tried setting up 2FA ... and I'm probably not doing it right ... I got their 6 digit app password by phone, replaced my password in pmail and it declared wrong password. So, I've gone back to forwarding any mail to my google address to my personal email address ... so that means, if I want to reply, I must go to the google's webmail. To be honest, that sounds a lot easier than farting around with 2FA. I know it won't be convenient for those without a non-google mail account, but I've always treated gmail, and yahoo as throwaway accounts.

What you received on you phone was the 2 factor authentication code not an app password. The way 2FA works is you enter your Google username and password at login and are then prompted for a code which is sent to you in a text.

The app password will be much longer than 6 characters (mine is 16). It is displayed on the screen for you to make a record of. It is not sent by text or email. Login with 2FA, go to "Manage your Google account", then do a search for "app password". You will be able to figure it out from there.

What you received on you phone was the 2 factor authentication code not an app password. The way 2FA works is you enter your Google username and password at login and are then prompted for a code which is sent to you in a text. The app password will be much longer than 6 characters (mine is 16). It is displayed on the screen for you to make a record of. It is not sent by text or email. Login with 2FA, go to "Manage your Google account", then do a search for "app password". You will be able to figure it out from there.

Thanks Brian ... I'll have to decide if I want to keep the gmail accounts or just find some other source for throwaway mail!

Thanks Brian ... I'll have to decide if I want to keep the gmail accounts or just find some other source for throwaway mail!
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft