Community Discussions and Support
Pegasus Mail v4.80 Doesn't Work (for me)

I've been a Pmail user since the 90's, and this is the first time I've had to resort to this forum. The other day I downloaded v4.80, and it got hung up in the window that wants to tell you about new features. The only way I could find to clear the window was to restart my system. So I decided to go back to v4.73. I backed up the MAIL folder, uninstalled PMAIL, (all three iterations) and reinstalled v4.73. It starts up, but when I restored the backed-up MAIL folder it no longer starts. It gets to "restoring page layout", puts an icon in the tray and then hangs. Any Ideas?

I've been a Pmail user since the 90's, and this is the first time I've had to resort to this forum. The other day I downloaded v4.80, and it got hung up in the window that wants to tell you about new features. The only way I could find to clear the window was to restart my system. So I decided to go back to v4.73. I backed up the MAIL folder, uninstalled PMAIL, (all three iterations) and reinstalled v4.73. It starts up, but when I restored the backed-up MAIL folder it no longer starts. It gets to "restoring page layout", puts an icon in the tray and then hangs. Any Ideas?
  • Use a file explorer to access your mailbox directory.
  • Sort it by date, newest at the top.
  • Look for a zero byte .cnm file dated newer than the last time Pegasus Mail started.
  • If any are found, delete them and then try starting Pegasus Mail.

If no zero byte .cnm files:

• Move all .cnm files dated newer than the last time Pegasus Mail started to a temporary location.
  • Now see if Pegasus Mail will start.
  • If it does, one of the .cnm files that you moved is corrupted. The only way to identify which one to move a few back at a time until the problem occurs. Keep track of which ones you move because once you hit the hang you will need to move that batch back out of the mailbox directory and then move them back one at a time until you identify the problem one. Be aware that .cnm files are plain text files that can be viewed with a text editor. Doing so can help identify messages that you don't care about. You can then delete that .cnm file.

- Use a file explorer to access your mailbox directory. - Sort it by date, newest at the top. - Look for a zero byte .cnm file dated newer than the last time Pegasus Mail started. - If any are found, delete them and then try starting Pegasus Mail. If no zero byte .cnm files: - Move all .cnm files dated newer than the last time Pegasus Mail started to a temporary location. - Now see if Pegasus Mail will start. - If it does, one of the .cnm files that you moved is corrupted. The only way to identify which one to move a few back at a time until the problem occurs. Keep track of which ones you move because once you hit the hang you will need to move that batch back out of the mailbox directory and then move them back one at a time until you identify the problem one. Be aware that .cnm files are plain text files that can be viewed with a text editor. Doing so can help identify messages that you don't care about. You can then delete that .cnm file.

I am also a Pegasus user since DOS days. My wife bought a new laptop with Windows 11. I installed Pegusus 4.80 on it and changed the mail box location to the Mail folder where I copied the Mail folder from her previous Windows 10 computer. Yesterday it was all happy with all her emails, addresses, distribution lists, etc.

Today, Pegasus 4.80 will not start at all on her machine.

Brian, I tried your *.cnm suggestion. It did not change anything.

Help! My wife relies on Pegasus email. How can we get it running on her new Windows 11 machine?

I am also a Pegasus user since DOS days. My wife bought a new laptop with Windows 11. I installed Pegusus 4.80 on it and changed the mail box location to the Mail folder where I copied the Mail folder from her previous Windows 10 computer. Yesterday it was all happy with all her emails, addresses, distribution lists, etc. Today, Pegasus 4.80 will not start at all on her machine. Brian, I tried your *.cnm suggestion. It did not change anything. Help! My wife relies on Pegasus email. How can we get it running on her new Windows 11 machine?

One quick thing to check. Does the system have a C:\TEMP directory and does the user have rights to it. Previous to 10 and 11, there was usually a C:\TEMP directory and it was read/write for users, but come windows 10/11 have either had the directory not exist or have restricted access.

Bearhtml uses the C:\TEMP directory, while most things use the users specific temp directory.

2nd option. Not sure it would show any additional info, but open a command prompt, and change to the C:\PMAIL\Programs directory and run the WINPM-32.EXE and see if it shows any message.

3rd option might be to open cmd with admin option and see what happens if run. Might be that 11 put some restrictions on. Don't have access to any W11 machine, so don't know.

I run the Pegasus under wine, and only have 1 machine with windows 10, but it is for limited testing, and shows that it doesn't meet specs for 11.

Perhaps others will have other issues or ideals.. Good Luck

One quick thing to check. Does the system have a C:\TEMP directory and does the user have rights to it. Previous to 10 and 11, there was usually a C:\TEMP directory and it was read/write for users, but come windows 10/11 have either had the directory not exist or have restricted access. Bearhtml uses the C:\TEMP directory, while most things use the users specific temp directory. 2nd option. Not sure it would show any additional info, but open a command prompt, and change to the C:\PMAIL\Programs directory and run the WINPM-32.EXE and see if it shows any message. 3rd option might be to open cmd with admin option and see what happens if run. Might be that 11 put some restrictions on. Don't have access to any W11 machine, so don't know. I run the Pegasus under wine, and only have 1 machine with windows 10, but it is for limited testing, and shows that it doesn't meet specs for 11. Perhaps others will have other issues or ideals.. Good Luck

mikes@guam.net

+1 on the creation of a C:\TEMP directory if one doesn't exist.

Was she running v4.80 on her Win10 machine?

When you say that "Pegasus 4.80 will not start", what is happening?

Did you install the latest version of IERenderer on the Win11 machine?

+1 on the creation of a C:\TEMP directory if one doesn't exist. Was she running v4.80 on her Win10 machine? When you say that "Pegasus 4.80 will not start", what is happening? Did you install the latest version of IERenderer on the Win11 machine?

Thank you, msetzerii and Brian Fluet, for your prompt responses.

Pegasus 4.80 is showing its splash screen for a millisecond, then nothing.

1) I created a c:\Temp directory (it did not exist). It appeared to have read/write privileges for my wife. However, it did not work.

2) I opened a Command Prompt, changed to the C:\PMAIL\PROGRAMS directory, ran dir to show the exe file was there, then ran winpm-32.exe. No messages. Just a small blue circle rotating for maybe a minute, then nothing.

3) I opened Pegasus 4.80 as admin. Nothing happened.

4) She had been using a previous version of Pegasus on her Windows 10 machine. It ran fine. FYI, I upgraded my Pegasus to 4.80 on my Windows 10 notebook computer recently. It was an easy update with all working happily. I will try to find and install an older edition of Pegasus on my wife's new Windows 11 laptop and let you know how that goes.

5) I do not know what the latest edition of IERenderer is or how to install it. Her Windows 11 Home is up-to-date according to Windows Updater.

Again, thank you. Step by step...

Thank you, msetzerii and Brian Fluet, for your prompt responses. Pegasus 4.80 is showing its splash screen for a millisecond, then nothing. 1) I created a c:\Temp directory (it did not exist). It appeared to have read/write privileges for my wife. However, it did not work. 2) I opened a Command Prompt, changed to the C:\PMAIL\PROGRAMS directory, ran dir to show the exe file was there, then ran winpm-32.exe. No messages. Just a small blue circle rotating for maybe a minute, then nothing. 3) I opened Pegasus 4.80 as admin. Nothing happened. 4) She had been using a previous version of Pegasus on her Windows 10 machine. It ran fine. FYI, I upgraded my Pegasus to 4.80 on my Windows 10 notebook computer recently. It was an easy update with all working happily. I will try to find and install an older edition of Pegasus on my wife's new Windows 11 laptop and let you know how that goes. 5) I do not know what the latest edition of IERenderer is or how to install it. Her Windows 11 Home is up-to-date according to Windows Updater. Again, thank you. Step by step...

She had been running Pegasus 4.72 on her Windows 10 machine. So, I uninstalled all three Pegasus 4.80, then installed 4.72 on her new Windows 11 machine. No change. Still the Pegasus splash screen for a millisecond, then nothing.

She had been running Pegasus 4.72 on her Windows 10 machine. So, I uninstalled all three Pegasus 4.80, then installed 4.72 on her new Windows 11 machine. No change. Still the Pegasus splash screen for a millisecond, then nothing.

Your description of what is happening indicates that Pegasus Mail can not find the mailbox directory. If you can start from scratch, and if the installation on your wife's Win10 machine is to C:\PMAIL with mailboxes in C:\PMAIL\MAIL, then post back and I will give you a step-by-step on what I think would be the best approach. I would do it now but it's late, at least for me, so I need call it a night.

If the installation on the Win10 machine is not to the default paths shown above please provide those paths. The best way to do that if is to fire it up then go to Help > About Pegasus Mail... and then click the Info button. The resulting display contains configuration information but no personal information so feel comfortable copying it all and pasting it into a reply. It will help us figure out where to go from here.

Your description of what is happening indicates that Pegasus Mail can not find the mailbox directory. If you can start from scratch, and if the installation on your wife's Win10 machine is to C:\PMAIL with mailboxes in C:\PMAIL\MAIL, then post back and I will give you a step-by-step on what I think would be the best approach. I would do it now but it's late, at least for me, so I need call it a night. If the installation on the Win10 machine is not to the default paths shown above please provide those paths. The best way to do that if is to fire it up then go to Help > About Pegasus Mail... and then click the Info button. The resulting display contains configuration information but no personal information so feel comfortable copying it all and pasting it into a reply. It will help us figure out where to go from here.

In C:\PMAIL\Programs\IERenderer, I see IERenderer.dll dated 24 March 2015. Is this what needs to be updated? If so, how do I update it?

In C:\PMAIL\Programs\IERenderer, I see IERenderer.dll dated 24 March 2015. Is this what needs to be updated? If so, how do I update it?

Hi Brian. I can indeed start from scratch on my wife's new Windows 11 machine. So, instructions on what to do would be appreciated.

Her old Windows 10 machine has a weird intermittent problem (hence, the need to replace it). If it runs today, I will get the config info you want.

Yes, on both her old machine and the new one we are using the standard/default c:\pmail\ paths for programs and mailbox.

Get some rest. This can wait until your morning or convenience.

Thank you!

Hi Brian. I can indeed start from scratch on my wife's new Windows 11 machine. So, instructions on what to do would be appreciated. Her old Windows 10 machine has a weird intermittent problem (hence, the need to replace it). If it runs today, I will get the config info you want. Yes, on both her old machine and the new one we are using the standard/default c:\pmail\ paths for programs and mailbox. Get some rest. This can wait until your morning or convenience. Thank you!

https://www.pmpgp.de/renderer/IERenderer.zip
01.08.2022 03:30 (CEST): Version 2.6.5.18

The one from March 24, 2015 is ancient????
24.03.2015, 13:00 (CET): Version 2.4.9.9

The installation of 4.80 should have included a much much newer one?
Unless something happen when you copied files??

https://www.pmpgp.de/renderer/History.htm
Is the history. Would probable recommend doing reinstall of 4.80, to make sure it has the latest files. Check that it isn't flag as read-only.
Then install the latest IERender.

https://www.pmpgp.de/renderer/IERenderer.zip 01.08.2022 03:30 (CEST): Version 2.6.5.18 The one from March 24, 2015 is ancient???? 24.03.2015, 13:00 (CET): Version 2.4.9.9 The installation of 4.80 should have included a much much newer one? Unless something happen when you copied files?? https://www.pmpgp.de/renderer/History.htm Is the history. Would probable recommend doing reinstall of 4.80, to make sure it has the latest files. Check that it isn't flag as read-only. Then install the latest IERender.

mikes@guam.net

I uninstalled Pegasus, moved the Mail folder to another location, then manually deleted the c:\pmail folder and its contents. I then did a fresh install. This gave me ierenderer dated 14 Feb 2022. This is not the newest, but, it is working today, so, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? I then changed the Mailbox location to the location I had saved and clicked change.

There are a couple of preferences my wife prefers that we need to change, but right now everything is working. Of course, this is where I was last Saturday when I did the fresh install of Pegasus on her new laptop. Then, on Sunday, it refused to run for reasons I still do not understand. Anyway, at this moment Pegasus 4.80 and Windows 11 are getting along very happily. We will see tomorrow...

I uninstalled Pegasus, moved the Mail folder to another location, then manually deleted the c:\pmail folder and its contents. I then did a fresh install. This gave me ierenderer dated 14 Feb 2022. This is not the newest, but, it is working today, so, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? I then changed the Mailbox location to the location I had saved and clicked change. There are a couple of preferences my wife prefers that we need to change, but right now everything is working. Of course, this is where I was last Saturday when I did the fresh install of Pegasus on her new laptop. Then, on Sunday, it refused to run for reasons I still do not understand. Anyway, at this moment Pegasus 4.80 and Windows 11 are getting along very happily. We will see tomorrow...

Just as a test I did a clean install of 4.80 on another machine to see what it does.
List of exe file in Programs in 2021 and later and files in IERenderer
453312 Apr 26 2021 showhelp.exe
666112 Jun 25 2021 hs.exe
697392 Sep 23 2021 IERenderer/LibTidy5.dll
2101 Oct 24 2021 IERenderer/BearHlpIE.js
1683 Dec 30 2021 IERenderer/BrowserList.ini
1083392 Jan 6 2022 sqlite3.exe
676 Jan 9 2022 IERenderer/BearHlpIE.css
3654952 Jan 20 2022 winpm-32.exe
43102 Feb 5 2022 IERenderer/BearHlpIE-En.htm
1373 Feb 14 01:16 IERenderer/BlockList.ini
1916976 Feb 14 07:02 IERenderer/IERenderer.dll
1202809 Aug 8 13:56 unins000.exe

I usually copy the PMAIL directory from the current machine to a new machines as it, and then run the latest version of Pegasus to just do the update of files. Other option was to do a clean install and copy the users mail directory. C:\PMAIL\MAIL\user to new setup, but that would need the PMAIL.CFG in Programs to be same, and PMAIL.USR in C:\PMAIL\MAIL to be same. The PMAIL.INI in directory should have same paths unless you changes from single user to multi-user setup.

Hope it is close to working exactly the way you need it to be.
Good Luck.

Just as a test I did a clean install of 4.80 on another machine to see what it does. List of exe file in Programs in 2021 and later and files in IERenderer 453312 Apr 26 2021 showhelp.exe 666112 Jun 25 2021 hs.exe 697392 Sep 23 2021 IERenderer/LibTidy5.dll 2101 Oct 24 2021 IERenderer/BearHlpIE.js 1683 Dec 30 2021 IERenderer/BrowserList.ini 1083392 Jan 6 2022 sqlite3.exe 676 Jan 9 2022 IERenderer/BearHlpIE.css 3654952 Jan 20 2022 winpm-32.exe 43102 Feb 5 2022 IERenderer/BearHlpIE-En.htm 1373 Feb 14 01:16 IERenderer/BlockList.ini 1916976 Feb 14 07:02 IERenderer/IERenderer.dll 1202809 Aug 8 13:56 unins000.exe I usually copy the PMAIL directory from the current machine to a new machines as it, and then run the latest version of Pegasus to just do the update of files. Other option was to do a clean install and copy the users mail directory. C:\PMAIL\MAIL\user to new setup, but that would need the PMAIL.CFG in Programs to be same, and PMAIL.USR in C:\PMAIL\MAIL to be same. The PMAIL.INI in directory should have same paths unless you changes from single user to multi-user setup. Hope it is close to working exactly the way you need it to be. Good Luck.

mikes@guam.net

This gave me ierenderer dated 14 Feb 2022. This is not the newest, but, it is working today, so, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

Pegasus Mail v4.80 contained some bugs. One was fixed with an IERenderer update so I strongly recommend updating to its most recent version. Another was that the list of user saved words for the spell checker gets deleted/recreated each time the spell checker is invoked. All previously saved words are lost as are any that are newly added. The workaround is to mark the file as read-only so that it can't be modified. Words can not be added but at least the one the existed will be maintained. The file name is USRDICT5.PMD and is located in the Home mailbox directory.

I then changed the Mailbox location to the location I had saved and clicked change.

If you did this within Pegasus Mail then you now have a Home mailbox directory and a New mailbox directory. This will be relevant for future troubleshooting.

[quote="pid:54297, uid:35561"]This gave me ierenderer dated 14 Feb 2022. This is not the newest, but, it is working today, so, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?[/quote] Pegasus Mail v4.80 contained some bugs. One was fixed with an IERenderer update so I strongly recommend updating to its most recent version. Another was that the list of user saved words for the spell checker gets deleted/recreated each time the spell checker is invoked. All previously saved words are lost as are any that are newly added. The workaround is to mark the file as read-only so that it can't be modified. Words can not be added but at least the one the existed will be maintained. The file name is USRDICT5.PMD and is located in the Home mailbox directory. [quote="pid:54297, uid:35561"]I then changed the Mailbox location to the location I had saved and clicked change.[/quote] If you did this within Pegasus Mail then you now have a Home mailbox directory and a New mailbox directory. This will be relevant for future troubleshooting.

The last days have been full of meetings for me. Fortunately, my wife's Pegasus 4.80 continues to run happily, with, as you noted, her New Mail (*.cnm's) in c:\pmail\mail and her folders, address books, etc. in a new directory in her documents, to be easily backed up with the rest of her documents.

I followed your suggestion about updating ierenderer on both my wife's Pegasus 4.80 and mine. So, we are up-to-date on it today. It does handle html emails much better.

Neither my wife or I use the Spell checker in Pegasus (probably to the regret of those to whom we send emails with typos and misspelled words). I have made a note of this bug in 4.80.

We are happy with Pegasus 4.80 in our house! Thank you, again, for your help, Brian Fluet and msetzerii!

The last days have been full of meetings for me. Fortunately, my wife's Pegasus 4.80 continues to run happily, with, as you noted, her New Mail (*.cnm's) in c:\pmail\mail and her folders, address books, etc. in a new directory in her documents, to be easily backed up with the rest of her documents. I followed your suggestion about updating ierenderer on both my wife's Pegasus 4.80 and mine. So, we are up-to-date on it today. It does handle html emails much better. Neither my wife or I use the Spell checker in Pegasus (probably to the regret of those to whom we send emails with typos and misspelled words). I have made a note of this bug in 4.80. We are happy with Pegasus 4.80 in our house! Thank you, again, for your help, Brian Fluet and msetzerii!

To note: The bug with the spell checker deleting the added words has a temporary fix.
If you have a backed up copy of USRDICT5.PMD or maybe USRDICT3.PMD.

USRDICT5.PMD is the current one, with USRDICT3.PMD being used before.

You can restore the file to the users MAIL directory and flag it as read-only so that it will not be erased/reset by the 4.80.

It appears to just be a simple text file with each word on a separate line.
The spelling checked works fine, it is just a bug that instead of updating list, it somehow is blanking out the file. Think solution has already been coded, but was waiting to add the GMAIL AUTH2 support that seems to be held up with getting Google's final blessing??

So, if you have a backup copy of file restore it, and flag as read-only. If you need to add a new word, you could turn off read-only and use a text editor to add the new word, and then make it read-only again. (I also usually sort the file, but doesn't need to be).

To note: The bug with the spell checker deleting the added words has a temporary fix. If you have a backed up copy of USRDICT5.PMD or maybe USRDICT3.PMD. USRDICT5.PMD is the current one, with USRDICT3.PMD being used before. You can restore the file to the users MAIL directory and flag it as read-only so that it will not be erased/reset by the 4.80. It appears to just be a simple text file with each word on a separate line. The spelling checked works fine, it is just a bug that instead of updating list, it somehow is blanking out the file. Think solution has already been coded, but was waiting to add the GMAIL AUTH2 support that seems to be held up with getting Google's final blessing?? So, if you have a backup copy of file restore it, and flag as read-only. If you need to add a new word, you could turn off read-only and use a text editor to add the new word, and then make it read-only again. (I also usually sort the file, but doesn't need to be).

mikes@guam.net

live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft