Community Discussions and Support
Hash sign not read correctly from mercury.ini file

As we need to relay e-mails from a private network to gmail, we tried Mercury to replace an old free mail server we were using until now.

Everything was working good, until I closed and re-opened Mercury, authentification with gmail smtp server failed after that.
I identified the problem as Mercury unable to read the hash sign (#) correctly from mercury.ini.
We have such a sign in our gmail password (and can't easily change it as we have several sites already using it), and even if SMTP_Password has the right value when closing Mercury, when re-opening it the value is only read until this #.

Is there a known workaround? I tried escaping it (\#,##) but it is not working.
We'd really like to buy the license so that we can start it as a service, but right now we need to retype the password in the configuration screen each time after starting it.

Thanks in advance.

As we need to relay e-mails from a private network to gmail, we tried Mercury to replace an old free mail server we were using until now. Everything was working good, until I closed and re-opened Mercury, authentification with gmail smtp server failed after that. I identified the problem as Mercury unable to read the hash sign (#) correctly from mercury.ini. We have such a sign in our gmail password (and can't easily change it as we have several sites already using it), and even if SMTP_Password has the right value when closing Mercury, when re-opening it the value is only read until this #. Is there a known workaround? I tried escaping it (\\#,##) but it is not working. We'd really like to buy the license so that we can start it as a service, but right now we need to retype the password in the configuration screen each time after starting it. Thanks in advance.

As you noticed # is used for comments in the ini file, and unfortunately there is currently no way to get around that. It's now added to the list of things to fix in the next version though.

As you noticed # is used for comments in the ini file, and unfortunately there is currently no way to get around that. It's now added to the list of things to fix in the next version though.

Thanks for your reply (and sorry for my late follow-up).

I wasn't aware of it when I opened this thread, but I think there may be a mandatory workaround from now on.
As google is preventing the use of less secure apps (from today?) we will have to use an app password to connect.
(and they have only alphanumerical characters)

Thanks for your reply (and sorry for my late follow-up). I wasn't aware of it when I opened this thread, but I think there may be a mandatory workaround from now on. As google is preventing the use of less secure apps (from today?) we will have to use an app password to connect. (and they have only alphanumerical characters)
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft