Community Discussions and Support
"From:" address in programmed autoreplies

That was what I was doing.  The remainder of the template works correctly, but the "From:" header in the template is being replaced by the mailbox name.  What I was trying to do was to send "change of address" notices for a pop account by delivering them to a pass-through account, forward them to the intended recipient, but send an address change notification to that fraction of the intended recipient's mail that went through the pop account...but to avoid having the address change make any reference to the intermediate account.

I have since upgraded to 4.52, and not yet tested to see whether the problem still occurs. 

<p>That was what I was doing.  The remainder of the template works correctly, but the "From:" header in the template is being replaced by the mailbox name.  What I was trying to do was to send "change of address" notices for a pop account by delivering them to a pass-through account, forward them to the intended recipient, but send an address change notification to that fraction of the intended recipient's mail that went through the pop account...but to avoid having the address change make any reference to the intermediate account.</p><p> </p><p>I have since upgraded to 4.52, and not yet tested to see whether the problem still occurs. </p>

I am trying to send an autoreply for messages coming to user1@mydomain.com with a from address of user2@mydomain.com.

The template works correctly in all other respects, but the From: user2@mydomain.com is being replaced with user1.  The reply-to header is correct, so that it isn't totally useless, 

but I would prefer that recipients not know about the existence of user1.  My mercury version is 4.01.

Thanks 

<p>I am trying to send an autoreply for messages coming to user1@mydomain.com with a from address of user2@mydomain.com.</p><p>The template works correctly in all other respects, but the From: user2@mydomain.com is being replaced with user1.  The reply-to header is correct, so that it isn't totally useless, </p><p>but I would prefer that recipients not know about the existence of user1.  My mercury version is 4.01.</p><p>Thanks </p>

So what you write as From: in the template is being replaced by the real sender? Well, sort of nice of Mercury not to lie, isn't it? [;)]

I haven't tested it but one idea would be to use a global rule triggered by the To: header, selecting the action "Reply using a template". In this case it seems to me that Mercury won't have any firm idea about who should be named as sender. It might be slightly more inconvenient to switch on and off, though.

By the way, is there any special reason you haven't upgraded to the latest version of Mercury yet? 

/Rolf 

<p>So what you write as From: in the template is being replaced by the real sender? Well, sort of nice of Mercury not to lie, isn't it? [;)] I haven't tested it but one idea would be to use a global rule triggered by the To: header, selecting the action "Reply using a template". In this case it seems to me that Mercury won't have any firm idea about who should be named as sender. It might be slightly more inconvenient to switch on and off, though.</p><p>By the way, is there any special reason you haven't upgraded to the latest version of Mercury yet? </p><p>/Rolf </p>

It doesn't seem worth it.  I could also easily write an external program acting as a filter action on all or selected mail, and use it to modify the From: header.  I was trying to avoid doing anything that would have any non-zero risk of affecting other mail, and this would have been the easiest and safest if it worked as documented.

I just haven't gotten around to upgrading Mercury, since it has been working perfectly for me.  If I had been told that my problem was cured in the latest version...

Thanks,

Don 

<p>It doesn't seem worth it.  I could also easily write an external program acting as a filter action on all or selected mail, and use it to modify the From: header.  I was trying to avoid doing anything that would have any non-zero risk of affecting other mail, and this would have been the easiest and safest if it worked as documented.</p><p>I just haven't gotten around to upgrading Mercury, since it has been working perfectly for me.  If I had been told that my problem was cured in the latest version...</p><p> </p><p>Thanks,</p><p>Don </p>

If you use areply.cfg, ie programmed automatic replies, you can use a general mercury template file. Within that you can create the headers as you wish. Read the help for precise instructions, starting at "Automatic Replies"

If you use areply.cfg, ie programmed automatic replies, you can use a general mercury template file. Within that you can create the headers as you wish. Read the help for precise instructions, starting at "Automatic Replies"
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft