Community Discussions and Support
gamil not working

As of June 7, Pegasus no longer downloads my gmail. Is this the authentication change? OAUTH2?

Worked fine as of yesterday. Help, please!

Tried it hours ago and then a few minutes ago at two different email addresses - similar messages result.

Here is what Pegasus shows:
14:45:22.944: --- 7 Jun 2022, 14:45:22.944 ---
14:45:22.944: Connect to 'pop.gmail.com', timeout 30 seconds.
14:45:24.021: [] SSL/TLS session established
14:45:24.021: [
] ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384, TLSv1.2, Kx=ECDH, Au=RSA, Enc=AESGCM(256), Mac=AEAD
14:45:24.021: [*] Peer's certificate name is '/CN=pop.gmail.com'.
14:45:24.021: >> +OK Gpop ready for requests from 75.166.4.157 y11mb135455670jat
14:45:24.021: << USER mrurban3
14:45:24.021: >> +OK send PASS
<< 0015 PASS XXXXXXXX
14:45:25.160: >> -ERR [AUTH] Username and password not accepted.

Thanks

As of June 7, Pegasus no longer downloads my gmail. Is this the authentication change? OAUTH2? Worked fine as of yesterday. Help, please! Tried it hours ago and then a few minutes ago at two different email addresses - similar messages result. Here is what Pegasus shows: 14:45:22.944: --- 7 Jun 2022, 14:45:22.944 --- 14:45:22.944: Connect to &#039;pop.gmail.com&#039;, timeout 30 seconds. 14:45:24.021: [*] SSL/TLS session established 14:45:24.021: [*] ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384, TLSv1.2, Kx=ECDH, Au=RSA, Enc=AESGCM(256), Mac=AEAD 14:45:24.021: [*] Peer&#039;s certificate name is &#039;/CN=pop.gmail.com&#039;. 14:45:24.021: &gt;&gt; +OK Gpop ready for requests from 75.166.4.157 y11mb135455670jat 14:45:24.021: &lt;&lt; USER mrurban3 14:45:24.021: &gt;&gt; +OK send PASS &lt;&lt; 0015 PASS XXXXXXXX 14:45:25.160: &gt;&gt; -ERR [AUTH] Username and password not accepted. Thanks

typo in subject: gmail not working. Sorry - don't know how to correct it.

typo in subject: gmail not working. Sorry - don&#039;t know how to correct it.

It is likely due to Google enforcement of Oauth2. You need to be using an app password instead of your Google login password. There are numerous posts in this forum about how to accomplish that

It is likely due to Google enforcement of Oauth2. You need to be using an app password instead of your Google login password. There are numerous posts in this forum about how to accomplish that

Brian gave me the clue - in looking for his earlier post I found: "Creating an app password in Google is dependent on 2-Step Verification being enabled. Once you turn it on you will see the option for creating an app password.
Google 2-Step:
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185839
After logging in and getting a confirmation text, then I was able to, in Google, ask for an app password for Pegasus on my computer. It then generated a 16 digit password that I copied and then entered into incoming and outgoing password in Pegasus-Tools-internet options. Worked at least one time! That is progress. I did NOT see the instruction shown in the Google answer about skipping a second step on trusted devices . . .
Thanks!

Brian gave me the clue - in looking for his earlier post I found: &quot;Creating an app password in Google is dependent on 2-Step Verification being enabled. Once you turn it on you will see the option for creating an app password. Google 2-Step: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185839 After logging in and getting a confirmation text, then I was able to, in Google, ask for an app password for Pegasus on my computer. It then generated a 16 digit password that I copied and then entered into incoming and outgoing password in Pegasus-Tools-internet options. Worked at least one time! That is progress. I did NOT see the instruction shown in the Google answer about skipping a second step on trusted devices . . . Thanks!

I did NOT see the instruction shown in the Google answer about skipping a second step on trusted devices . . .

That applies to the 2 step verification when logging in to your Google account.

[quote=&quot;pid:53947, uid:7121&quot;]I did NOT see the instruction shown in the Google answer about skipping a second step on trusted devices . . .[/quote] That applies to the 2 step verification when logging in to your Google account.

I am a long-time Pegasus Mail user and I really like the program. Thanks, David Harris! And helpers!

Learning that gmail was making authorization changes is a big deal to me, so I looked at PMail for info.

David Harris said he was making changes to cover OAUTH2. Then he said Google was demanding large fees, and he couldn't pay them. (rightly so!) Then he updated with, maybe those fees won't be required, but he can't decipher Google's requirements.

Google said changes were as of May 30, but my email gmail access stopped working on June 7.

Info on the Pegasus Community site by Brain F pointed me to a solution - Pegasus does NOT have to be updated to still work with gmail! Procedures below get around this problem.

It isn't easy, as it has many steps. Google help has good info, but also too much info! 2-Step verification: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185839

I believe that a phone or other is required for initial 2-step verification, but after that Pegasus on a computer should work like normal. NOT needed to phone verify every time.

Here are the steps, in summary.

Login to gmail, with email and password.
On the left side, select Security. Scroll on the right and verify that you have a valid recovery phone number for texts. (Calls MIGHT work.)
Find the Signing in to Google section.
Under that, choose 2-step Verification.
Again enter your password.
See your phone number and select Continue.
Select text or call and choose SEND.
Get a text with confirmation number, then enter that number on the Google page asking for it.
Google may show devices that it expects to connect with.
Now you need an App Password for your email program, Pegasus.
At Google, Security on the left side.
In the section on the right, Signing in to Google, click on the App Password line.
Again put in your password.
Then, select the App for which you want the password, either Email from the list or choose custom and put in Pegasus or whatever. Then click on Generate.
A 16-digit will be posted. COPY it!
Then go to your Pegasus email. Tools-Internet Options
Receiving and Sending tabs and REPLACE your former password with the new 16-digit one just received.
Done. Send and receive as before this change.

Good luck!

I am a long-time Pegasus Mail user and I really like the program. Thanks, David Harris! And helpers! Learning that gmail was making authorization changes is a big deal to me, so I looked at PMail for info. David Harris said he was making changes to cover OAUTH2. Then he said Google was demanding large fees, and he couldn&#039;t pay them. (rightly so!) Then he updated with, maybe those fees won&#039;t be required, but he can&#039;t decipher Google&#039;s requirements. Google said changes were as of May 30, but my email gmail access stopped working on June 7. Info on the Pegasus Community site by Brain F pointed me to a solution - Pegasus does NOT have to be updated to still work with gmail! Procedures below get around this problem. It isn&#039;t easy, as it has many steps. Google help has good info, but also too much info! 2-Step verification: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185839 I believe that a phone or other is required for initial 2-step verification, but after that Pegasus on a computer should work like normal. NOT needed to phone verify every time. Here are the steps, in summary. Login to gmail, with email and password. On the left side, select Security. Scroll on the right and verify that you have a valid recovery phone number for texts. (Calls MIGHT work.) Find the Signing in to Google section. Under that, choose 2-step Verification. Again enter your password. See your phone number and select Continue. Select text or call and choose SEND. Get a text with confirmation number, then enter that number on the Google page asking for it. Google may show devices that it expects to connect with. Now you need an App Password for your email program, Pegasus. At Google, Security on the left side. In the section on the right, Signing in to Google, click on the App Password line. Again put in your password. Then, select the App for which you want the password, either Email from the list or choose custom and put in Pegasus or whatever. Then click on Generate. A 16-digit will be posted. COPY it! Then go to your Pegasus email. Tools-Internet Options Receiving and Sending tabs and REPLACE your former password with the new 16-digit one just received. Done. Send and receive as before this change. Good luck!

RichU, your instructions worked perfectly!

Been using Pegasus Mail for over 15 years now, couldn't retrieve my Gmail emails today. Followed RichU instructions and back in business.

RichU, your instructions worked perfectly! Been using Pegasus Mail for over 15 years now, couldn&#039;t retrieve my Gmail emails today. Followed RichU instructions and back in business.

Thank you, RichU!

I am user of pmail since august 1998 (version 3.01, DOS and Windows 3.1).

Thank you, RichU! I am user of pmail since august 1998 (version 3.01, DOS and Windows 3.1).

To all interested:

After I recovered my Pmail access to gmail, I tried the same 16 characters password with Mailwasher Pro. It worked too.

To all interested: After I recovered my Pmail access to gmail, I tried the same 16 characters password with Mailwasher Pro. It worked too.

Firstly, thank you everyone here who provided detailed instructions for setting up 2FA and a Gmail app password. I now can use Pegasus Mail with Gmail on my home computer once again.

Now I'm wondering if anyone has tried using PMAIL with the Gmail app password while a VPN (NordVPN in my case) is being used? I know from trying other email programs on my computer that already have OATH2 set up and working, my Gmail account will work fine under OATH2 to retrieve and send emails even when using my VPN.

But I'm hesitant to try using PMAIL when my VPN is connected, even with 2FA turned on and the new app password, for fear of getting locked out of my Gmail account.

Should I wait for OATH2 implementation in PMAIL for it to be able to work with Gmail without any problem when my VPN is being used?

A side note: A big thank you to David Harris for continuing his hard work attempting to get OATH2 implemented for PMAIL.

Firstly, thank you everyone here who provided detailed instructions for setting up 2FA and a Gmail app password. I now can use Pegasus Mail with Gmail on my home computer once again. Now I&#039;m wondering if anyone has tried using PMAIL with the Gmail app password while a VPN (NordVPN in my case) is being used? I know from trying other email programs on my computer that already have OATH2 set up and working, my Gmail account will work fine under OATH2 to retrieve and send emails even when using my VPN. But I&#039;m hesitant to try using PMAIL when my VPN is connected, even with 2FA turned on and the new app password, for fear of getting locked out of my Gmail account. Should I wait for OATH2 implementation in PMAIL for it to be able to work with Gmail without any problem when my VPN is being used? A side note: A big thank you to David Harris for continuing his hard work attempting to get OATH2 implemented for PMAIL.

Charliehorse,

I tried using VPN (AVG secure VPN).

No problem to receive and send gmail messages.

Charliehorse, I tried using VPN (AVG secure VPN). No problem to receive and send gmail messages.

A side note: A big thank you to David Harris for continuing his hard work attempting to get OATH2 implemented for PMAIL

Please be careful with your wording, Charlie, OATH isn't the same as OAUTH: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OAuth#OAuth_and_other_standards.

[quote=&quot;pid:53989, uid:34558&quot;]A side note: A big thank you to David Harris for continuing his hard work attempting to get OATH2 implemented for PMAIL[/quote] Please be careful with your wording, Charlie, OATH isn&#039;t the same as OA**U**TH: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OAuth#OAuth_and_other_standards.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

Charliehorse

When using a VPN make sure you are on a dedicated IP server, VPN providers usually provide a small pool of dedicated IP servers.

When you are "not" connected via a dedicated IP server Google, banks websites and email providers give you a very hard time when trying to login. Google makes you jump through numerous chatcha screens as it thinks you are a bot.

I use PrivateVPN and have no problems provide I'm connected to one of their dedicated IP servers.

Charliehorse When using a VPN make sure you are on a dedicated IP server, VPN providers usually provide a small pool of dedicated IP servers. When you are &quot;not&quot; connected via a dedicated IP server Google, banks websites and email providers give you a very hard time when trying to login. Google makes you jump through numerous chatcha screens as it thinks you are a bot. I use PrivateVPN and have no problems provide I&#039;m connected to one of their dedicated IP servers.

@RichU , delighted to read your post suggesting that it is or maybe possible for me to continue retrieving my Gmail emails from within Pegasus! I much look forward to trying to implement your steps tomorrow.

On my Android devices I use the K-9 email app, which is highly configurable for an email app, though nowhere near as rich and flexible as Pegasus Mail. But on K-9 I have not been able to access my Gmail email since the OAUTH2 business came into effect . . . until today, when very happily I discovered that just a little tweaking of my K-9 Fetching and Sending settings for Gmail accounts is required.

So as soon as I was once again able to access Gmail easily via the K-9 app on my Android devices, I wondered whether Pegasus might possible follow the same or similar steps, and so came to this forum to suggest the same. But I have found your post.

Anyway, in case it is of interest or help to @David or to anyone else, here is K-9's information for retrieving from Gmail accounts.

Go to Settings → [Your Gmail account] → Fetching mail → Incoming server.
Make sure to use imap.gmail.com under IMAP server.
Select OAuth 2.0 under Authentication.
Tap the Next button at the bottom of the screen.
If your browser is not already logged in to your Google account, you will be asked to log in.
Afterwards you’ll be asked to grant K-9 Mail access to “Read, compose, send, and permanently delete all your email from Gmail”. Tap “Allow”.
Go to Settings → [Your Gmail account] → Sending mail → Outgoing server.
Make sure to use smtp.gmail.com under SMTP server.
Select OAuth 2.0 under Authentication.
Tap the Next button at the bottom of the screen.
K-9 Mail will automatically use the access you’ve granted it in step 6.
Your Gmail account in K-9 Mail should work again.

https://forum.k9mail.app/t/how-do-i-update-an-existing-gmail-account-to-use-oauth-2-0/5026

@RichU , delighted to read your post suggesting that it is or maybe possible for me to continue retrieving my Gmail emails from within Pegasus! I much look forward to trying to implement your steps tomorrow. On my Android devices I use the K-9 email app, which is highly configurable for an email app, though nowhere near as rich and flexible as Pegasus Mail. But on K-9 I have not been able to access my Gmail email since the OAUTH2 business came into effect . . . until today, when very happily I discovered that just a little tweaking of my K-9 Fetching and Sending settings for Gmail accounts is required. So as soon as I was once again able to access Gmail easily via the K-9 app on my Android devices, I wondered whether Pegasus might possible follow the same or similar steps, and so came to this forum to suggest the same. But I have found your post. Anyway, in case it is of interest or help to @David or to anyone else, here is K-9&#039;s information for retrieving from Gmail accounts. _Go to Settings &rarr; [Your Gmail account] &rarr; Fetching mail &rarr; Incoming server. Make sure to use imap.gmail.com under IMAP server. Select OAuth 2.0 under Authentication. Tap the Next button at the bottom of the screen. If your browser is not already logged in to your Google account, you will be asked to log in. Afterwards you&rsquo;ll be asked to grant K-9 Mail access to &ldquo;Read, compose, send, and permanently delete all your email from Gmail&rdquo;. Tap &ldquo;Allow&rdquo;. Go to Settings &rarr; [Your Gmail account] &rarr; Sending mail &rarr; Outgoing server. Make sure to use smtp.gmail.com under SMTP server. Select OAuth 2.0 under Authentication. Tap the Next button at the bottom of the screen. K-9 Mail will automatically use the access you&rsquo;ve granted it in step 6. Your Gmail account in K-9 Mail should work again._ https://forum.k9mail.app/t/how-do-i-update-an-existing-gmail-account-to-use-oauth-2-0/5026

Notice that K-9 has an option to authenticate using OAuth 2.0. Pegasus Mail does not yet have that functionality which is why the Google app password approach is necessary for Pegasus Mail to access Gmail.

David is working on adding OAuth 2.0 to Pegasus Mail. His comments and progress are in the "Announcements" category of this forum.

Notice that K-9 has an option to authenticate using OAuth 2.0. Pegasus Mail does not yet have that functionality which is why the Google app password approach is necessary for Pegasus Mail to access Gmail. David is working on adding OAuth 2.0 to Pegasus Mail. His comments and progress are in the &quot;Announcements&quot; category of this forum.

@RichU, thank you very much for list of directions above. I was delighted to find it, and by using it I have today succeeded in setting up Pegasus to access my Gmail accounts.

I hope you'll welcome the following three suggestions for improving your helpful list of directions:

1. "Login to gmail, with email and password. On the left side, select Security . . . ".You meant to write, "Login to your Google account at https://accounts.google.com, with email and password. On the left side, select Security . . . ".

2. "Now you need an App Password for your email program, Pegasus.At Google, Security on the left side."You should have written, "Back at your Google Account page, go to Security on the left side . . . "

3. "Then go to your Pegasus email. Tools-Internet Options".But in case someone prefers to have Imap control, you could say, "Then go to your Pegasus email. Tools > Internet Options OR to Tools > Imap Profiles".

Thanks again, and best wishes.

@RichU, thank you very much for list of directions above. I was delighted to find it, and by using it I have today succeeded in setting up Pegasus to access my Gmail accounts. I hope you&#039;ll welcome the following three suggestions for improving your helpful list of directions: 1. &quot;**Login to gmail**, with email and password. On the left side, select Security . . . &quot;. You meant to write, &quot;**Login to your Google account** at https://accounts.google.com, with email and password. On the left side, select Security . . . &quot;. 2. &quot;Now you need an App Password for your email program, Pegasus. **At Google**, Security on the left side.&quot; You should have written, &quot;Back **at your Google Account page**, go to Security on the left side . . . &quot; 3. &quot;Then go to your Pegasus email. Tools-Internet Options&quot;. But in case someone prefers to have Imap control, you could say, &quot;Then go to your Pegasus email. **Tools &gt; Internet Options OR to Tools &gt; Imap Profiles**&quot;. Thanks again, and best wishes.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft