Community Discussions and Support
Copy to self not working

Ever since I installed ver 4.80, even though I have copy to self checked, the app is not saving a copy of emails I send.

Ever since I installed ver 4.80, even though I have copy to self checked, the app is not saving a copy of emails I send.

Larry Hess CPA | Albuquerque NM

The first thing to do is to reset the default copy-to-self destination folder. Use the select folder button to select the folder. You can select the same folder. This will insure Pegasus Mail has the correct folder ID of the destination folder.

Now send a test message to yourself with a unique subject line. If the copyself copy does not appear in the destination folder selected above then do a search of the entire mailbox for that unique subject line. If it is found in a different folder you will know that some sort of filter is diverting copyself copies.

The first thing to do is to reset the default copy-to-self destination folder. Use the select folder button to select the folder. You can select the same folder. This will insure Pegasus Mail has the correct folder ID of the destination folder. Now send a test message to yourself with a unique subject line. If the copyself copy does not appear in the destination folder selected above then do a search of the entire mailbox for that unique subject line. If it is found in a different folder you will know that some sort of filter is diverting copyself copies.

Copy to self is working, but the result may be not what you expect. Most common "problem" with copy-to-self not showing up is the autofiltering feature. Make sure your own address is not selected in a autofilter. To check, select any folder and right mouse Autofiltering -> manage autofiltering.
Autofiltering takes precedence over copy-to-self for folder-storage.

Han van den Bogaerde - support@vandenbogaerde.net
Member of Pegasus Mail Support Group.
My own Pegasus Mail related web information:
http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/

Copy to self is working, but the result may be not what you expect. Most common "problem" with copy-to-self not showing up is the autofiltering feature. Make sure your own address is not selected in a autofilter. To check, select any folder and right mouse Autofiltering -> manage autofiltering. Autofiltering takes precedence over copy-to-self for folder-storage. Han van den Bogaerde - support@vandenbogaerde.net Member of Pegasus Mail Support Group. My own Pegasus Mail related web information: http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/

-- Han van den Bogaerde - support@vandenbogaerde.net Member of Pegasus Mail Support Group. My own Pegasus Mail related web information: http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/

Brian, I did that and a copy was placed in the test copy to self folder. I noticed 3 things that are not desirable: (1) The copy was marked read, (2) a jpg that is part of my signature was replaced by an outline of it with a question mark inside and (3) all messages in the New mail folder were moved to the old copies to self folder. The last is VERY undesirable, particularly since many were marked Urgent and now they are not so marked.

Han, no folders are marked for autofiltering.

Brian, I did that and a copy was placed in the test copy to self folder. I noticed 3 things that are not desirable: (1) The copy was marked read, (2) a jpg that is part of my signature was replaced by an outline of it with a question mark inside and (3) all messages in the New mail folder were moved to the old copies to self folder. The last is VERY undesirable, particularly since many were marked Urgent and now they are not so marked. Han, no folders are marked for autofiltering.

Important followup.

I moved all the messages that are NOT copies back to the New mail folder. When I clicked on the New mail folder all messages In New mail were moved back to the Copies to self.

Important followup. I moved all the messages that are NOT copies back to the New mail folder. When I clicked on the New mail folder all messages In New mail were moved back to the Copies to self.

FOLLOWUP #2

I created a folder called New Mail TEST & moved into it all the "new mail" from Copies to Self. Now things are back to normal - almost.

"New Mail TEST" is placed alphabetically with all other folders. I would like it to be placed just below "My mailbox" and rename it to "New Mail" but I am unable to delete the old New Mail folder.

FOLLOWUP #2 I created a folder called New Mail TEST & moved into it all the "new mail" from Copies to Self. Now things are back to normal - almost. "New Mail TEST" is placed alphabetically with all other folders. I would like it to be placed just below "My mailbox" and rename it to "New Mail" but I am unable to delete the old New Mail folder.

FOLLOWUP #3

Apparently there's no way to actually set up a new new mail folder that behaves as I have come to expect over at least 20 years of Pegasus use.

All incoming mail is going to Copy to Self even though I have specified New Mail TEST as the new mail folder. And when I press [ctrl]+W the focus jumps to the original New Mail folder.

I sure hope there's a way to fix this behavior. It's making using Pegasus considerably more difficult.

FOLLOWUP #3 Apparently there's no way to actually set up a new new mail folder that behaves as I have come to expect over at least 20 years of Pegasus use. All incoming mail is going to Copy to Self even though I have specified New Mail TEST as the new mail folder. And when I press [ctrl]+W the focus jumps to the original New Mail folder. I sure hope there's a way to fix this behavior. It's making using Pegasus considerably more difficult.

I moved all the messages that are NOT copies back to the New mail folder. When I clicked on the New mail folder all messages In New mail were moved back to the Copies to self.

This clearly means you've inadvertently set up a new mail filter doing this, please get back to Han's post for his recommendation about checking this if you can't find anything in Tools => Mail filtering rules => Edit new mail filtering rules => Rules applied when folder is opened.

[quote="pid:54014, uid:2980"]I moved all the messages that are NOT copies back to the New mail folder. When I clicked on the New mail folder all messages In New mail were moved back to the Copies to self.[/quote] This clearly means you've inadvertently set up a new mail filter doing this, please get back to Han's post for his recommendation about checking this if you can't find anything in Tools => Mail filtering rules => Edit new mail filtering rules => Rules applied when folder is opened.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C
edited Jun 17 '22 at 11:10 pm

I am unable to delete the old New Mail folder.

You can't because the New Mail folder isn't actually a folder file, it's a list of the CNM files found in the New Mail folder's file directory (confusingly called "folder" as well in Windows) which you wouldn't want to get deleted because they actually contain your new mail messages. You won't solve your issue without deleting the filter rule moving your new mails into the copy-to-self folder.

[quote="pid:54015, uid:2980"]I am unable to delete the old New Mail folder.[/quote] You can't because the New Mail folder isn't actually a folder *file*, it's a list of the CNM files found in the New Mail folder's file directory (confusingly called "folder" as well in Windows) which you wouldn't want to get deleted because they actually contain your new mail messages. You won't solve your issue without deleting the filter rule moving your new mails into the copy-to-self folder.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

Genius!

I deleted all mail filtering rules (Nothing lost. They were set up long ago and were way out of date.) and now things are back to normal.

Genius! I deleted all mail filtering rules (Nothing lost. They were set up long ago and were way out of date.) and now things are back to normal.

One more thing.

The copy placed in the Copy to Self folder is marked read. How can I keep that from happening? I use the unread tag to keep track of emails I've archived and printed

One more thing. The copy placed in the Copy to Self folder is marked read. How can I keep that from happening? I use the unread tag to keep track of emails I've archived and printed

AFAIK, copy to self messages are always marked as having been read. I don't know of a way to disable that behavior. The only workaround that comes to mind is to use a copy to self filtering rule that always applies a color and then change the color once you have acted on that message.

AFAIK, copy to self messages are always marked as having been read. I don't know of a way to disable that behavior. The only workaround that comes to mind is to use a copy to self filtering rule that always applies a color and then change the color once you have acted on that message.

I manage several email IMAP accounts at different providers. PM does not write the copy to self to the default Sent mail folder at one account. I created a new folder "new sent" and that works! Later I move the mails manually from the "new sent" to the default Sent folder. (PM v. 4.80) Not ideal work-around.

I manage several email IMAP accounts at different providers. PM does not write the _copy to self_ to the default Sent mail folder at one account. I created a new folder "new sent" and that works! Later I move the mails manually from the "new sent" to the default Sent folder. (PM v. 4.80) Not ideal work-around.

Just had this exact issue, a rogue autofiltering entry was the culprit!

Just had this exact issue, a rogue autofiltering entry was the culprit!

Can you share more detail? Autofiltering of Pmail or at provider? How to solve?

I manage several email IMAP accounts at different providers. PM does not write the copy to self to the default Sent mail folder at one account. I created a new folder "new sent" and that works! Later I move the mails manually from the "new sent" to the default Sent folder. (PM v. 4.80) Not ideal work-around.

Autofilter is a Pegasus Mail function. To check for any that you have in place, right click on any folder name in the folder list, then select Autofiltering > Manage Autofilter folders. This will bring up a list of all folders that have Autofilters in place.

[quote="pid:54069, uid:28408"]I manage several email IMAP accounts at different providers. PM does not write the copy to self to the default Sent mail folder at one account. I created a new folder "new sent" and that works! Later I move the mails manually from the "new sent" to the default Sent folder. (PM v. 4.80) Not ideal work-around.[/quote] Autofilter is a Pegasus Mail function. To check for any that you have in place, right click on any folder name in the folder list, then select Autofiltering > Manage Autofilter folders. This will bring up a list of all folders that have Autofilters in place.

I have not any autofiltering active. 636bd458585da

I have not any autofiltering active. ![636bd458585da](serve/attachment&path=636bd458585da)

Have you tried re-associating the "Sent mail" folder as the destination folder for copies to self? Tools | Options | Outgoing mail | Copies to self (use the "Select folder" button)

The folder name of "Sent mail" makes me think that a copy of every sent messages is being placed in the folder. If so, is the folder huge? There is a 2GB file size limit that a folder can hit although if this were the case I don't think you would be able to move messages to it. It is worth consideration though.

If re-association didn't work and the folder isn't huge then I recommend these steps to fix it:

• move all messages from the "Sent mail" folder to the "new sent" folder
  • delete the "Sent mail" folder
  • rename the "new sent" folder to "Sent mail"
  • select that "Sent mail" folder as the copy to self destination folder as per the first paragraph above (this must be done regardless that the folder name is the same)

Have you tried re-associating the "Sent mail" folder as the destination folder for copies to self? Tools | Options | Outgoing mail | Copies to self (use the "Select folder" button) The folder name of "Sent mail" makes me think that a copy of every sent messages is being placed in the folder. If so, is the folder huge? There is a 2GB file size limit that a folder can hit although if this were the case I don't think you would be able to move messages to it. It is worth consideration though. If re-association didn't work and the folder isn't huge then I recommend these steps to fix it: - move all messages from the "Sent mail" folder to the "new sent" folder - delete the "Sent mail" folder - rename the "new sent" folder to "Sent mail" - select that "Sent mail" folder as the copy to self destination folder as per the first paragraph above (this must be done regardless that the folder name is the same)
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft