Community Discussions and Support
Issue sending anything

Issue: Mail won’t send
Issue with: Mercury/32 - (used through XAMPP)

Normal behaviour: Connect to Mercury - send mail - Change sender name - add recipient name - add subject - add body - mail sends and is received into test inbox - all points check out.

Issue context: Mercury/32 won’t let me send mail. Not even test mail. I have seen many tips to do it with Thunderbird bird and localhost but, before I was able to send it without any configuration. I just had to put a mail address, subject and body. Now nothing at all sends out. Whether or not I use apache and or proxy?

What can I do to get it to work and send mail. First as localhost , then as another email other than localhost.

I am using vpn. I was using vpn when it was working the first round and I have test mails which have gone through from that time.

Tries: I tried turning off vpn - I tried turning on Apache - I tried turning on Tomcat - I installed a separate Mercury/32 outside of XAMPP still issue arises. Now I can not even amend local users.

I need help. Like step by step. I have tried all I can at my basic level.

Issue: Mail won’t send Issue with: Mercury/32 - (used through XAMPP) OS: Win10 Normal behaviour: Connect to Mercury - send mail - Change sender name - add recipient name - add subject - add body - mail sends and is received into test inbox - all points check out. Issue context: Mercury/32 won’t let me send mail. Not even test mail. I have seen many tips to do it with Thunderbird bird and localhost but, before I was able to send it without any configuration. I just had to put a mail address, subject and body. Now nothing at all sends out. Whether or not I use apache and or proxy? What can I do to get it to work and send mail. First as localhost , then as another email other than localhost. I am using vpn. I was using vpn when it was working the first round and I have test mails which have gone through from that time. Tries: I tried turning off vpn - I tried turning on Apache - I tried turning on Tomcat - I installed a separate Mercury/32 outside of XAMPP still issue arises. Now I can not even amend local users. I need help. Like step by step. I have tried all I can at my basic level.

XAMPP in history was pre-configured for local usage only. If you want to use Mercury/32 with all parts, then you should go thru the entire configuration process without XAMPP.
I think it would be easier to install Mercury/32 as stand-alone and configuring all needed modules than going thru all settings and change the pre-configuration of XAMPP. Older XAMPP-installations came with a notice for Apache and Mercury, that you have to do further configuration steps, if you want to use it for the WWW. Both application are configured for easy access and all security settings are deactivated.

PS: My first contact with Mercury/32 was after installing XAMP and that was sometime around 2005.

XAMPP in history was pre-configured for local usage only. If you want to use Mercury/32 with all parts, then you should go thru the entire configuration process without XAMPP. I think it would be easier to install Mercury/32 as stand-alone and configuring all needed modules than going thru all settings and change the pre-configuration of XAMPP. Older XAMPP-installations came with a notice for Apache and Mercury, that you have to do further configuration steps, if you want to use it for the WWW. Both application are configured for easy access and all security settings are deactivated. PS: My first contact with Mercury/32 was after installing XAMP and that was sometime around 2005.

I sent the mail through Xampp - mercury last week without localhost and configuration. It was mt first time using it so i am certain i didn't configure anything. Then the next time I launched it, it couldnt even generate test mail.

I download the standalone after that, even followed the configuration steps on youtube. Nothing. Nothing at all. Now no one knows anything and I can't get it to work. Not even through community mail.

I sent the mail through Xampp - mercury last week without localhost and configuration. It was mt first time using it so i am certain i didn't configure anything. Then the next time I launched it, it couldnt even generate test mail. I download the standalone after that, even followed the configuration steps on youtube. Nothing. Nothing at all. Now no one knows anything and I can't get it to work. Not even through community mail.

Did you read the pdf manual and follow the setup procedure described there? The manual is in the main Mercury directory and named man-xxx.pdf (with xxx being a version number).

Otherwise you could post networking details and your mercury.ini file here. We obviously need that information to say what the problem is.

Did you read the pdf manual and follow the setup procedure described there? The manual is in the main Mercury directory and named man-xxx.pdf (with xxx being a version number). Otherwise you could post networking details and your mercury.ini file here. We obviously need that information to say what the problem is.
edited Aug 13 '22 at 2:16 pm
[General]
myname: localhost # Canonical name for this server
timezone: +0000 # Time Zone to add to date fields
file_api: 1 # Use the file api instead of queues
mailqueue: C:\XAMPP\MERCURYMAIL\QUEUE # Where mail should be put for delivery
smtpqueue: C:\XAMPP\MERCURYMAIL\QUEUE # Where the SMTP client should look for mail
newmail_path: C:\XAMPP\MERCURYMAIL\MAIL\ # Where to find the users' WinPMail mailboxes.

[Protocols]
MERCURYS.DLL
MERCURYP.DLL
# MERCURYE.DLL
MERCURYC.DLL
MERCURYD.DLL
MERCURYH.DLL
MERCURYF.DLL
MERCURYW.DLL
MERCURYX.DLL
# MERCURYI.DLL
# MERCURYB.DLL

[Mercury]
failfile: C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Mercury\FAILURE.MER # Delivery failure notification template
confirmfile: C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Mercury\CONFIRM.MER # Delivery confirmation template
aliasfile: C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Mercury\ALIAS.MER # System-wide alias file
synfile: C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Mercury\SYNONYM.MER # User synonym database
listfile: C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Mercury\LISTS.MER # List of lists
logwidth: 30 # Width of address fields in logfile
retpath: 1 # Do/Don'
t use 'return-path' for errors
maxhops: 30 # Used to detect mailing loops
gullible: 0 # If NZ, don't validate 'From' fields
bitnethost: cunyvm.cuny.edu # Relay host for '
.bitnet' rewrites
poll: 10 # Seconds between queue polling cycles
scratch: C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Scratch # Where we can write temp files
returnlines: 15 # How many lines of failed messages to return
postmaster: Admin # NetWare UIC of postmaster
broadcast: 0 # Yes, we want broadcast notifications, but
receipts: 0 # ... no broadcasts for receipt confirmations
PM_notify: 1 # Do/Don'
t send errors to the postmaster
change_owner: 0 # Change message ownership to recipient
auto_tzone: 1 # If NZ, obtain timezone information from OS
LogLevel: 15 # System message reporting level
LogMax: 100 # Maximum number of system messages to store
RetryPeriod: 1 # Period between job retries (minutes)
MaxRetries: 16 # Maximum number of times a job can fail
TwoPasses: 1 # If NZ, process submission queue in 2 passes
Autoaddress: -121 # If NZ, auto-generate user addresses based on name
Daily_exit: 0 # If NZ, auto-restart each day after maintenance
No_Areply: 0 # If NZ, disable automatic replies system-wide
Alt_Forward: 0 # If NZ, allow alternate forwarding specification
Maint_hour: 2 # Hour for daily maintenance (24-hour clock)
Maint_min: 0 # Minute for daily maintenance
Retry_Mode: 0 # If NZ, use progressive backoff for queue retries
Local_DSNs: 1 # If NZ generate Delivery Status for local users only
DSN_time1: 10800 # Seconds deferred before first DSN is sent
DSN_time2: 86400 # Seconds deferred before second DSN is sent
DSN_time3: 259200 # Seconds deferred before third DSN is sent
Host_in_title: 0 # If NZ, show hostname in system tray and taskbar
Lingering: 0 # Enable or disable 'lingering mailboxes'
Linger_Timeout: 60 # Seconds before a lingering mailbox is shut down
Alert_Host: notify.pmail.com # Host to check for licensee advisories
Alert_Interval: 720 # Frequency in minutes (min 240) for checks
Alert_Flags: 3 # Flags controlling advisory checks

[MercuryC]
Host : jhjhhhjhkjh@kl.com
Failfile : C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Mercury\FAILURE.MER
HELO : help
Poll : 30
Scratch : C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Mercury
ReturnLines : 15
Timeout : 30
ESMTP : 1
Server_Port : 465
POP3_Auth : 0
Log_Verbose : 0

[MercuryE]
Poll : 15
Timeout : 60
# Session_logging : o:\mail\mercury\melogs
# Session_logmode : 1
# Nameservers : 139.xx.xx.1

[MercuryD]
Poll : 30

[MercuryS]
Debug : 1
HELO : Helpful.info
Logfile : C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Logs\MERCURYS.LOG
Relay : 0
Strict_Relay : 0
Interface : 127.0.0.1
Allow_Illegals : 0
SMTP_Authentication : 0
Compliance_Settings : 0
Maximum_Failed_Rcpts : 4
Max_Relay_Attempts : 4
SSL_Mode : 0
ST_Blacklisting : 288
No_VRFY : 0
SMTP_ConnFlags : 0

[MercuryP]
Stack : 32768
Interface : 127.0.0.1
Mark_Read : 1
Login_Disabled : 0
UIDL_nul_list : 1
New_UIDs : 0
No_NUL_passwords : 0
Timeout : 60

[MercuryX]
# Cmd_Delay: 10
# Cmd_Wait: 1
# IE4_Dialling: 0
# Use_ETRN: 1
# Clients_only: 1
# Sunday: 0800,1800,3,15,30,60
# Monday: 0830,2100,5,15,60,60
# Tuesday: 0830,2100,5,15,60,60
# Wednesday: 1500,1900,2,30,5,30
# Thursday: 0900,1900,2,30,0,0
# Friday: 0830,2100,5,15,60,60
# Saturday: 1031,1035,2,45,-1,0

# [Groups]
# testgroup : TESTGRP

[Domains]
localhost: localhost
localhost: localhost.net
localhost: localhost.org
localhost: localhost.com
127.0.0.1: Server

[Maiser]
Maiser: Maiser # 'Username' of mail server account
Helpfile: C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Mercury\MAISER.HLP # Help sent on failed maiser requests
Lookupfile: C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Mercury\MAISER.LKP # Format file for the 'lookup' command
Send_dir: C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Mercury\SENDABLE # Directory for the 'send' command
Logfile: C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Logs\MAISER.LOG # Mail server log file
Notify: C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Mercury\TMP # Dir. for pending 'notify' commands
NoList: Y # If 'Y', disable the 'list' command
Local_only: Y # If 'Y', local 'notify' commands only

[MercuryH]
Logfile : C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Logs\MERCURYH.LOG
# Addressbook : \\CLIO\SYS\SYSTEM\MERCURY\PH.PMR
# MOTD : \\CLIO\SYS\SYSTEM\MERCURY\PH-MOTD.TXT
# Administrator : postmaster@clio.pmail.gen.nz

[MercuryI]
Scratch : C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\SCRATCH
Timeout : 120
Server_Port : 143
Idle_Timeout : 1800
Login_Disabled : 0

[MercuryB]
Scratch : C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\SCRATCH
Timeout : 120
Server_Port : 2224
Idle_Timeout : 1800

[Groups]

[Rewrite]

[Statistics]
StatFlags: 0 # Statistical reporting settings
STF_Hours: 24 # How often to write stat log files
STM_Hours: 24 # How often to e-mail stat log files

```` [General] myname: localhost # Canonical name for this server timezone: +0000 # Time Zone to add to date fields file_api: 1 # Use the file api instead of queues mailqueue: C:\XAMPP\MERCURYMAIL\QUEUE # Where mail should be put for delivery smtpqueue: C:\XAMPP\MERCURYMAIL\QUEUE # Where the SMTP client should look for mail newmail_path: C:\XAMPP\MERCURYMAIL\MAIL\ # Where to find the users' WinPMail mailboxes. [Protocols] MERCURYS.DLL MERCURYP.DLL # MERCURYE.DLL MERCURYC.DLL MERCURYD.DLL MERCURYH.DLL MERCURYF.DLL MERCURYW.DLL MERCURYX.DLL # MERCURYI.DLL # MERCURYB.DLL [Mercury] failfile: C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Mercury\FAILURE.MER # Delivery failure notification template confirmfile: C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Mercury\CONFIRM.MER # Delivery confirmation template aliasfile: C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Mercury\ALIAS.MER # System-wide alias file synfile: C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Mercury\SYNONYM.MER # User synonym database listfile: C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Mercury\LISTS.MER # List of lists logwidth: 30 # Width of address fields in logfile retpath: 1 # Do/Don't use 'return-path' for errors maxhops: 30 # Used to detect mailing loops gullible: 0 # If NZ, don't validate 'From' fields bitnethost: cunyvm.cuny.edu # Relay host for '.bitnet' rewrites poll: 10 # Seconds between queue polling cycles scratch: C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Scratch # Where we can write temp files returnlines: 15 # How many lines of failed messages to return postmaster: Admin # NetWare UIC of postmaster broadcast: 0 # Yes, we want broadcast notifications, but receipts: 0 # ... no broadcasts for receipt confirmations PM_notify: 1 # Do/Don't send errors to the postmaster change_owner: 0 # Change message ownership to recipient auto_tzone: 1 # If NZ, obtain timezone information from OS LogLevel: 15 # System message reporting level LogMax: 100 # Maximum number of system messages to store RetryPeriod: 1 # Period between job retries (minutes) MaxRetries: 16 # Maximum number of times a job can fail TwoPasses: 1 # If NZ, process submission queue in 2 passes Autoaddress: -121 # If NZ, auto-generate user addresses based on name Daily_exit: 0 # If NZ, auto-restart each day after maintenance No_Areply: 0 # If NZ, disable automatic replies system-wide Alt_Forward: 0 # If NZ, allow alternate forwarding specification Maint_hour: 2 # Hour for daily maintenance (24-hour clock) Maint_min: 0 # Minute for daily maintenance Retry_Mode: 0 # If NZ, use progressive backoff for queue retries Local_DSNs: 1 # If NZ generate Delivery Status for local users only DSN_time1: 10800 # Seconds deferred before first DSN is sent DSN_time2: 86400 # Seconds deferred before second DSN is sent DSN_time3: 259200 # Seconds deferred before third DSN is sent Host_in_title: 0 # If NZ, show hostname in system tray and taskbar Lingering: 0 # Enable or disable 'lingering mailboxes' Linger_Timeout: 60 # Seconds before a lingering mailbox is shut down Alert_Host: notify.pmail.com # Host to check for licensee advisories Alert_Interval: 720 # Frequency in minutes (min 240) for checks Alert_Flags: 3 # Flags controlling advisory checks [MercuryC] Host : jhjhhhjhkjh@kl.com Failfile : C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Mercury\FAILURE.MER HELO : help Poll : 30 Scratch : C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Mercury ReturnLines : 15 Timeout : 30 ESMTP : 1 Server_Port : 465 POP3_Auth : 0 Log_Verbose : 0 [MercuryE] Poll : 15 Timeout : 60 # Session_logging : o:\mail\mercury\melogs # Session_logmode : 1 # Nameservers : 139.xx.xx.1 [MercuryD] Scratch : C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Mercury Timeout : 30 Poll : 30 [MercuryS] Debug : 1 HELO : Helpful.info Logfile : C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Logs\MERCURYS.LOG Timeout : 30 Relay : 0 Strict_Relay : 0 Interface : 127.0.0.1 Allow_Illegals : 0 SMTP_Authentication : 0 Compliance_Settings : 0 Maximum_Failed_Rcpts : 4 Max_Relay_Attempts : 4 SSL_Mode : 0 ST_Blacklisting : 288 No_VRFY : 0 SMTP_ConnFlags : 0 [MercuryP] Scratch : C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Mercury Stack : 32768 Interface : 127.0.0.1 Mark_Read : 1 SSL_Mode : 0 Login_Disabled : 0 UIDL_nul_list : 1 New_UIDs : 0 No_NUL_passwords : 0 Timeout : 60 [MercuryX] # Cmd_Delay: 10 # Cmd_Wait: 1 # IE4_Dialling: 0 # Use_ETRN: 1 # Clients_only: 1 # Sunday: 0800,1800,3,15,30,60 # Monday: 0830,2100,5,15,60,60 # Tuesday: 0830,2100,5,15,60,60 # Wednesday: 1500,1900,2,30,5,30 # Thursday: 0900,1900,2,30,0,0 # Friday: 0830,2100,5,15,60,60 # Saturday: 1031,1035,2,45,-1,0 # [Groups] # testgroup : TESTGRP [Domains] localhost: localhost localhost: localhost.net localhost: localhost.org localhost: localhost.com 127.0.0.1: Server [Maiser] Maiser: Maiser # 'Username' of mail server account Helpfile: C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Mercury\MAISER.HLP # Help sent on failed maiser requests Lookupfile: C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Mercury\MAISER.LKP # Format file for the 'lookup' command Send_dir: C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Mercury\SENDABLE # Directory for the 'send' command Logfile: C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Logs\MAISER.LOG # Mail server log file Notify: C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Mercury\TMP # Dir. for pending 'notify' commands NoList: Y # If 'Y', disable the 'list' command Local_only: Y # If 'Y', local 'notify' commands only [MercuryH] Logfile : C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Logs\MERCURYH.LOG # Addressbook : \\CLIO\SYS\SYSTEM\MERCURY\PH.PMR # MOTD : \\CLIO\SYS\SYSTEM\MERCURY\PH-MOTD.TXT # Administrator : postmaster@clio.pmail.gen.nz Timeout : 30 [MercuryI] Scratch : C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\SCRATCH Timeout : 120 Server_Port : 143 Idle_Timeout : 1800 SSL_Mode : 0 Login_Disabled : 0 [MercuryB] Scratch : C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\SCRATCH Timeout : 120 Server_Port : 2224 Idle_Timeout : 1800 [Groups] [Rewrite] [Statistics] StatFlags: 0 # Statistical reporting settings STF_Hours: 24 # How often to write stat log files STM_Hours: 24 # How often to e-mail stat log files ````
edited Aug 16 '22 at 12:30 am

I'm still not sure what you plan to use the server for. If it's only for local use on the same computer or within your own LAN you can use fake hostnames and domain names, but if the server is going to communicate with the Internet it should be proper names.

To make things less complicated I would suggest deactivating all protocol modules that you won't actually need to use.

[Mercury]
TwoPasses: 1 - probably not needed

[MercuryC]
Host : jhjhhhjhkjh@kl.com - that is an email address, not a relay host
HELO : help - ???
Scratch : C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Mercury - change to C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Scratch
If you plan to use an SMTP relay server please check Mercury help for configuration!

[MercuryD]

[MercuryS]
Strict_Relay : 0 - change to 1 if the server will be accessible from the Internet
Interface : 127.0.0.1 - leave blank unless you only want to access the SMTP server locally on the same computer
SMTP_Authentication : 0 - set to 3 for security

[MercuryP]
Interface : 127.0.0.1 - leave blank unless you only want to access the POP3 server locally on the same computer

[Domains]
Please se Mercury help, could look something like this (assuming the server name is mercury):

mercury: mercury
mercury: [192.168.1.10] # local IP
mercury: [123.45.6.78] # public IP
mercury: yourdomain.com # name of domain that you own

Other than that, make sure you are running the current program version, and exclude the MERCURYMAIL folder with sub-folders from all anti-virus scanning.

I'm still not sure what you plan to use the server for. If it's only for local use on the same computer or within your own LAN you can use fake hostnames and domain names, but if the server is going to communicate with the Internet it should be proper names. To make things less complicated I would suggest deactivating all protocol modules that you won't actually need to use. [Mercury] TwoPasses: 1 - probably not needed [MercuryC] Host : jhjhhhjhkjh@kl.com - that is an email address, not a relay host HELO : help - ??? Scratch : C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Mercury - change to C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Scratch If you plan to use an SMTP relay server please check Mercury help for configuration! [MercuryD] Scratch : C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Mercury - change to C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Scratch [MercuryS] Strict_Relay : 0 - change to 1 if the server will be accessible from the Internet Interface : 127.0.0.1 - leave blank unless you only want to access the SMTP server locally on the same computer SMTP_Authentication : 0 - set to 3 for security [MercuryP] Scratch : C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Mercury - change to C:\xampp\MERCURYMAIL\Scratch Interface : 127.0.0.1 - leave blank unless you only want to access the POP3 server locally on the same computer [Domains] Please se Mercury help, could look something like this (assuming the server name is mercury): mercury: mercury mercury: [192.168.1.10] # local IP mercury: [123.45.6.78] # public IP mercury: yourdomain.com # name of domain that you own Other than that, make sure you are running the current program version, and exclude the MERCURYMAIL folder with sub-folders from all anti-virus scanning.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft